PDA

View Full Version : AJ HAWK- A PACKER MAN

Bretsky
04-23-2006, 04:53 PM
A.J. Hawk has the tools to be a dominant linebacker, but he doesn't let it all go to his head

Sunday, April 23, 2006
By Jimmy Smith
Staff writer

Here's all you need to know about A.J. Hawk's priorities.

The NFL had badgered the Ohio State linebacker in recent days to come to New York for the draft. The league invited the top five or six players to be on hand for photo ops and glad-handing with Commissioner Paul Tagliabue holding a game jersey of the team that has selected them, customarily emblazoned with the number "1."

Hawk declined, citing educational and familial obligations.

"It was tough," he said. "But with all these trips, I'm missing a lot of class as it is, at least one a week. They wanted to make a whole weekend out of it. And on draft day, my agent tells me I'll be going to the city where I'm drafted that night.

"It's a huge honor, but I have a big extended family, and I knew I couldn't take all of them with me. I'd rather stay at home (Centerville, Ohio) with them where I'm comfortable."

When the NFL extends these offers of draft weekends in the Big Apple, it is relatively certain that the player will be among the first chosen. That avoids any embarrassment should one of the invitees slip to the lower part of the first round.

There's no possibility that will happen with Hawk, a guy who seems to be so grounded and highly regarded that he'll certainly be in the top five, perhaps in the top two.

The Saints, with whom Hawk visited this week, are reportedly high on Hawk, but might not, for financial reasons, be willing to take the top-rated linebacker that high, opting to trade down, get a few additional picks, and hoping Hawk still would be on the board at three, four or five.

Not the most sought-after recruit before he got to the Columbus, Ohio, campus as a freshman, Hawk fell right into the Ohio State tradition of great linebackers, worked hard and developed into the premier player at the position.

"That was just part of anyone's personality," Hawk said. "You come in and try not to listen to what was going on around me recruiting-wise. There's so much stuff going on coming from high school to college with the Internet sites, I never got caught up in it, never really worried about it.

"I wanted to try to make an impact early. Get on special teams and play a little bit and learn from the older guys. That's what I did. I got lucky, came into a great situation and got to start for three years."

Humble and unassuming, Hawk had no qualms about participating in a full workout at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis in February, unlike many of the top-rated players who were invited.

In return, he put up some impressive numbers: a 4.59 40-yard dash, 24 reps of 225 pounds in the bench press, a stunning 40-inch vertical jump. Later, in individual workouts the next month in Columbus, Hawk ran 4.45 and 4.47 in the 40-yard dash.

Still, Hawk knows that linebacker is not one of the league's glamour positions, and it's likely he won't be picked right behind Reggie Bush, who's expected to go first overall.

"It's a position where a lot of times they say they don't want to draft people too high because they think 'How much impact can a linebacker have?' " Hawk said. "Guys like Shawne Merriman and Lofa Tatupu had huge years. I think the linebacker position, with all the defenses they're playing and with the offenses you have to face -- one week you're facing a spread offense and the next week a team is trying to pound the ball on you -- you have to be able to do a little bit of everything. That's the tough thing about playing college football, and it's even magnified more in the NFL.

"But it's understandable. Obviously, we're not big defensive ends who are going to get 15 to 18 sacks a year. We're not going to be a running back who's going to rush for 1,500 yards. It's a spot where there's three or four of them on the field, I guess you can justify not taking guys too high. All I want is a chance, regardless of where I'm taken."

Oscar
04-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Great read B. I hope Hawk is a Packer come draft day.

b bulldog
04-23-2006, 05:04 PM
So do I, I just hope we trade down to pick him.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Speaking as a Packers fan, the NFL should abandon the invitation. When you have a weak GM like Ted Thompson running your team, such GM would draft invitees out of pity, and not for the good of his team.

23 teams bypassed Rodgers. 5 hours passed. Thompson said, "Aaron, I can't take it anymore! Watching you sit there is killing me. Logan Mankins would help our team more but please accept my pity and become a Packer!"

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2006, 05:37 PM
How far can you realistically trade down and still get Hawk? This is what I ponder. Sure I would rather trade down, pick up another pick or two and still get Hawk in the first round. That would be my dream.

RashanGary
04-23-2006, 05:41 PM
People have this strange notion that teams with a top 8 pick are going to give up Michael Huff and Joseph Addai for Vince Young or Vernon Davis. Sorry..but the Packers are probably going to have to stay put and A.J. very well could be the best player on the board.

If any team is willing to give up the #7 or 8 to slide up 3 measly spots for a player similar to what they'll be getting anyway then I'm all over it. The fact is everyone notices it.

Why odn't we just trade Walker for 2 seconds and a third while we're at it.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2006, 05:52 PM
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Gallery/2006/01/02/PNS121_FIESTA_BOWL_FOOT2.jpg

Bretsky
04-23-2006, 05:58 PM
How far can you realistically trade down and still get Hawk? This is what I ponder. Sure I would rather trade down, pick up another pick or two and still get Hawk in the first round. That would be my dream.

I think San Francisco will pluck him at #6 if he gets by. They just lost their top LB and would love to see Hawk

Anti-Polar Bear
04-23-2006, 05:58 PM
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/wp/Football/121905_awards/05.huff.awards.800x600.jpg

[/img]

Partial
04-23-2006, 06:00 PM
HAWK

Anti-Polar Bear
04-23-2006, 06:00 PM
http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/wp/Football/101505_colorado/05.huff.colorado.800x600.jpg

Bossman641
04-23-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm not sure you can trade down and still get Hawk. Both the 49ers and Raiders are said to love him. We might just have to grab him at 5, which wouldn't exactly be a bad thing.

b bulldog
04-23-2006, 06:22 PM
The 49ers really like Davis as well. The trio of Hawk,Davis and Huff will go in 5-8 area.

b bulldog
04-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Could trade down and get Simms also.

RashanGary
04-23-2006, 06:24 PM
Simms is a nice player. I could see us getting in the 10-15 range and nabbing a player like him or Ngata.

I'm not coutning on it though.....

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2006, 06:34 PM
One guy that I am not a fan of is Ernie Sims. I saw 3 or 4 FSU games on TV, and he would just fall off the rim of the Earth at times, and you hear the pre-game talk about Sims, but then wonder where the hell is. The only time I remember seeing him, is when his defense was getting beat on in the fourth quarter and he would go down with a phantom injury or cramps, and then be back out on the field after two or three plays.

I see Tank wants to start a picture battle. I tell you what Tank, you are free to start as many Huff threads as you want. Go ahead post a Huff thread and post as many pictures of him as you want, go on now, get to work.

Deputy Nutz
04-23-2006, 06:38 PM
Here is an interesting article from the Fiesta Bowl:

Hawk ready to blitz Quinn, Quinn’s sister
December 20th, 2005 | Posted by Matt Sussman | Print This

A.J. Hawk (pictured right trying to tear the head off a ball carrier) is one of the top players in college football. The senior linebacker has an impressive ‘05 year:

109 tackles
13 tackles for loss
7 1/2 sacks
1 interception
1 fumble recovery
returned a blocked punt for a TD
His trophy case is starting to get crowded:

Consensus 1st Team All-American
Lombardi Trophy (best lineman)
Big Ten Defensive POY
Team MVP
And let’s not forget:

Brady Quinn’s sister
Snap.

The Blade wrote a feature on the Fiesta Bowl focusing on Hawk’s relationship with Laura Quinn and how awkward it would be for the hard-hitting linebacker to put Brady on his back during the game, then go home that night and do the same to his sister.

OK, he didn’t write it like that. Or allude to that.

But in the legendary words of Chris Farley in Billy Madison: “But you can imagine what it would be like if they did!”

Of course, I’m simply speculating on the intimacy of A.J. and Laura. But since they’re just in a four-month relationship, as college students I can safely assume they do nothing more than hold hands on Sunday nights.

So how will a girl be watching the Fiesta Bowl, with Bro on one side of the ball and Beau on the other side?

“Sheâ⠂¬â„¢ll be rooting for her brother - and she’d better be,” Hawk said. “Sheâ⠂¬â„¢s known him a lot longer than she’s known me.”

But as long as I’m being nosy and rude, let’s think up some other ways A.J. Hawk should but won’t trash talk during the game:

1. “Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m gonna sack you then get Laura into the sack!”

2. “I hope you like it rough, because I think it runs in your family!”

3. “First I’m gonna knock you down to the ground, then I’m gonna take Laura out for a nice seafood dinner, and NEVER CALL HER AGAIN!” (Champ Kind tested and approved)

4. “Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m gonna penetrate the hole through the center then … [insert the obvious here]”

5. “Iââ⠀šÂ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢m gonna bring your offense to its knees then … [insert the obvious here]”

6. “Our team will win the Fiesta Bowl and I enjoy intercourse with your sister!”

Anti-Polar Bear
04-23-2006, 08:33 PM
I see Tank wants to start a picture battle. I tell you what Tank, you are free to start as many Huff threads as you want. Go ahead post a Huff thread and post as many pictures of him as you want, go on now, get to work.

Nah, my point has been made. :wink:

Bretsky
04-23-2006, 09:24 PM
Could trade down and get Simms also.

Way too many are assuming we are trading down; if TT wanted to trade down then why not just accept Denver's two first round picks for #5 ? He could then get Simms or Greenway at 15 and have another first. I think in between TT's free agency hibernation he is enamoured with a player at 5.

Partial
04-23-2006, 11:55 PM
Hawk >>>>>>>>>>> Briggs >>>>>>> Sims