PDA

View Full Version : Tom Silverstein Packer Report Sporting News

motife
02-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Packers Team Report
Tom Silverstein
Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

The promotion of linebackers coach Winston Moss to assistant head coach/linebackers is significant. Moss is a candidate to become a head coach in the near future, so this will be his apprenticeship. More importantly, it gives coach Mike McCarthy another pair of eyes on defense, where things didn't go very smoothly last year. Bob Sanders remains the defensive coordinator, but Moss will undoubtedly have more input and be able to relay his observations to McCarthy, whose time is spent primarily with the offense. Moss, a former NFL linebacker, has a good rapport with the players and should be able to help McCarthy gauge what direction to move in. . . .

Backup QB Aaron Rodgers expects to be fully recovered from a broken foot when offseason workouts begin March 19. His primary task between now and then will be to reshape his body and get leaner and stronger. Rodgers is a solid athlete who can run, but McCarthy wants him to be better conditioned and to reduce his body fat a couple of percentage points. Rodgers won't know for a while whether he will back up Brett Favre again or will be in position to take over the starting job. Either way, he has to have a good offseason and show the team during the preseason that he's capable of being the quarterback of the future. Getting himself ready physically will go a long way toward meeting that end.

SCOUTING REPORT:SLB Brady Poppinga showed he can be a solid and active defender against the run, but until he becomes consistent in coverage he'll be an incomplete player. Playing at a frenetic pace, Poppinga adds much-needed aggressiveness to the defense and is especially good at shooting gaps and making plays from the backside. Coming off major knee surgery at the end of his 2005 rookie season, during which he played only sparingly from scrimmage, Poppinga had a hard time adjusting to man-to-man coverage at the start of this past season. He runs well enough to cover tight ends, but he's a bit stiff and needs to outthink his competition to be effective.

DRAFT BUZZ: Without question, the club has its eye on the top receivers and running backs in the draft. The influx of juniors has improved the club's chances of landing a playmaker at No. 16 overall. G.M. Ted Thompson continues to say he'll take the best player available, but if he doesn't add someone who can get into the end zone he won't be doing proper service to the team. Keep an eye on some of the big receivers coming out, such as USC's Dwayne Jarrett, South Carolina's Sidney Rice and Tennessee's Robert Meachem. They'll be on the team's radar.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Comments
Draft Buzz
Posted by twobrian5 on Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:54 pm

Why I think the Packers could draft a WR in the first round, I think its much more likely that they'll take the best player that falls to them other then a QB. So, I could see that being a defensive end, defensive tackle, cornerback, safety, wide receiver, tight end or running back. I would be shocked to see them select a linebacker or offensive lineman in the first round, as these are positions of strength for the team.

packrulz
02-04-2007, 05:35 AM
NFL Draftcountdown has the Pack taking WR Dwayne Jarrett, USC. I know he has good size but isn't real fast. Does anyone know much about him? Is he any good?