PDA

View Full Version : Jason Wilde : Ted Thompson's plans won't change

motife
02-03-2007, 09:21 PM
Packers: Thompson's plan still in place
JASON WILDE

OK, so Brett Favre is coming back.

Now what?

That's the question facing Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson, who can spend today working on an answer since he can't bring himself to watch Super Bowl XLI. (He says if his team isn't playing in it, he's not interested.)

But if you're expecting Thompson to junk his slow-but-steady rebuilding process and go hog-wild in free agency to make one last Super Bowl push on Favre's behalf, you're going to be disappointed.

"I don't think so," Thompson said of the latter approach. "I think baseball teams can do that sometimes. Football teams can't do that. I think you just try to get better, and the easiest way is for your existing players to improve, for your coaches to coach a little better, your scouts to scout a little better.

"Maybe you add a few players here and there, but you just try to get better, and we'd do that no matter who the quarterback was."

Publicly, the question of Favre's return was the No. 1 offseason issue facing the Packers. But privately, Thompson and his scouting staff were going about its business-as-usual offseason routine, just like last year, breaking down film and discussing players in daily pre-draft and pre-free agency meetings. In fact, Thompson was in one such meeting when Favre called him Friday.

While Thompson said Favre didn't give him a specific reason why he was returning, Thompson took it as a good sign he is happy with the direction the team is headed, having improved from 4-12 in 2005 to 8-8 last season.

Nonetheless, one league source said Favre wants to see the team upgrade its offensive personnel, perhaps by trading for disgruntled Oakland receiver Randy Moss. Favre has always liked Moss, who was once represented by Favre's agent, Bus Cook, but it's unclear what the Raiders would want in return.

Thompson said he didn't make Favre any personnel-related promises when they talked Friday - "He didn't ask for any, either," Thompson said - but in a conversation late last week, coach Mike McCarthy reportedly told Favre that improving the offensive skill positions is a priority this offseason.

McCarthy was at his offseason home in Austin, Texas, and unavailable for comment, the team said. But as chairman and CEO Bob Harlan pointed out, the Packers barely missed the playoffs in the watered-down NFC and could be only a few players away from contention.

"A solid draft, pick up a free agent or two ... we weren't that far away this year," Harlan said, referring to the team's four-game winning streak to end the season. "If the NFC stays the way it is, we've got a great shot next year."

It does help the Packers that Favre came to a decision earlier than in recent years - he waited until April 25 to come back last year and until March 10 in 2005 - although with more than $25 million in salary-cap space, the Packers wouldn't have been too put out had he procrastinated again.

The only position where the Packers would have been affected was quarterback, where they would have needed to add a veteran backup such as Philadelphia's Jeff Garcia or Kansas City's Damon Huard as insurance behind - and possibly competition for - 2005 first-round draft pick Aaron Rodgers.

Now, the Packers can focus on figuring out whether to re-sign free-agent halfback Ahman Green, what to do at tight end and how to augment a receiver corps that behind Donald Driver has Greg Jennings, who faded late in his rookie season, Robert Ferguson, who is coming off a serious foot injury, and Koren Robinson, who is serving a one-year substance abuse suspension.

"I think we all have to take another step - grow up and eliminate the mistakes that led us to all the negative things that happened in the beginning and the middle of the season," right tackle Mark Tauscher said. "If we can build on how we finished, I think we're in good shape."

Asked whether he thinks Favre's return makes his team a playoff contender, Thompson said, "I certainly hope so. I think everybody goes into the new (season) with aspirations of being in the playoffs and hopefully be able to play in the (Super Bowl). But there are 31 other teams that will be thinking the same way. But we feel like we're getting better as a team, and certainly I think it's good to be having Brett coming back."

more from WS Journal on Favre's return and 2007 :

Now that Favre has decided to return for a 16th season as the Green Bay Packers' quarterback, however, his motives are immaterial. Indeed, the predictable announcement he made Friday means only one thing:

The Packers' chances of returning to the NFL playoffs after a two-year absence just took a quantum leap.

That's not to say Favre's understudy, Aaron Rodgers, won't be a winning quarterback in time. It's just Favre's return will spare the Packers the inevitable breaking-in period for a new QB, whether that is Rodgers or one they acquire in the draft or free agency.

Favre's return means Green Bay can hit the ground running next season and, if general manager Ted Thompson can continue to improve the team's talent like he did last year, there is no reason the Packers can't make the jump from 8-8 to the playoffs. They need to give Favre more weapons on offense and plug some leaks in the secondary, but they're not that far away, especially given the anemic condition of the NFC.

In making his decision months earlier than he did last year, Favre said he was encouraged by the team's improvement in 2006, especially the 4-0 finish in which the offensive line and the defense seemed to get it together. As competitive as Favre is, there is no doubt his belief in the team's ability to compete for the postseason was a major factor in his decision.

Favre's return also slaps a stamp of approval on second-year coach Mike McCarthy, who gave Favre some much-needed tough love last season but gained his confidence in the process. Favre can go overboard at times, like when he said last August the youthful Packers were the most talented team he'd played on, but if he thinks McCarthy can get the Packers back to contending status, that's a pretty good testimonial.

One thing to keep in mind is Favre's return doesn't guarantee anything. It doesn't guarantee the Packers will improve on 8-8. It doesn't guarantee they'll improve at all.

It does, however, put pressure on Thompson, McCarthy and Favre to work overtime to make next season a success.

Now that they have their quarterback, Thompson and McCarthy can start plugging holes in their lineup. They had a good year in the draft and free agency in 2006 and this offseason they have the added benefit of knowing Favre will return. Still, they have to duplicate their 2006 success in acquiring and developing players if they want the team to improve.

Favre can't sit back and take the next six months off, either. He's still in the top half of NFL quarterbacks, but he needs to make a commitment to train harder than he ever has after his play fell off in the second half of the season in both 2005 and '06. Whether that was due to his age or the team around him, Favre needs to report in the best shape of his life.

The most surprising thing Favre said Friday was he knew he wanted to return when he was in the locker room after the Packers' season-ending 26-7 victory over Super Bowl-bound Chicago. It sure didn't look that way when he was sobbing on national television minutes earlier, but Friday's announcement made it clear how much Favre still loves to play football and compete for titles.

Now that he's made up his mind, there's no reason he can't do both next season.

KYPack
02-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I really look for us to finish 8-8 or lower.

This might be in spite of the fact that we will continue to improve as a team.

Next season, we play the second place schedule.

That will effect us.

We did well with the last place sched, but our kids might not be ready for the jump in competition

Packnut
02-03-2007, 10:46 PM

That will effect us.

We did well with the last place sched, but our kids might not be ready for the jump in competition

I think it all depends on what Thompson does. If he puts this team out on the field , then we'll be lucky to win 5 games. If he drafts a WR at 16 and signs Johnson or Graham and a DB, then we at least have a shot at 9-7.

However, unless he's just blowing smoke, TT does'nt sound like he's all that excited about improving quickly.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-03-2007, 10:47 PM

That will effect us.

We may be the youngest team and all, but I don't see us that way because were not young in the most important positions. As a matter of fact were pretty old.

QB - 37
RB - 30
Wr - DD is 32
LT - 31
RT - 30
CB - AH 33 CW 31

In a couple a years all these positions will need to be replaced, so IMO its either we go for the superbowl now or in another 6-7 years. Once Favre is gone the players listed above may be to.

HarveyWallbangers
02-03-2007, 10:53 PM

That will effect us.

I agree. The schedule is brutal. I hope fans are expecting Super Bowl. Next year, making the playoffs would be a huge accomplishment. I know teams change year-to-year, but you have to believe that most of the following teams will remain strong:

San Diego, Denver, Kansas City, Philadelphia, NY Giants, Dallas, Carolina, St. Louis, Chicago

Packnut
02-03-2007, 10:55 PM

That will effect us.

We may be the youngest team and all, but I don't see us that way because were not young in the most important positions. As a matter of fact were pretty old.

QB - 37
RB - 30
Wr - DD is 32
LT - 31
RT - 30
CB - AH 33 CW 31

In a couple a years all these positions will need to be replaced, so IMO its either we go for the superbowl now or in another 6-7 years. Once Favre is gone the players listed above may be to.

Good point.

HarveyWallbangers
02-03-2007, 10:56 PM

QB - 37
RB - 30
Wr - DD is 32
LT - 31
RT - 30
CB - AH 33 CW 31

Well, let's hope the QB replacement is on the roster. RB is a priority. I think Driver can play another 4 years. He was a late bloomer who seems to be getting better and better (Rod Smith-like?).

30 and 31 isn't that old for OTs. Tauscher will be around awhile. I wouldn't count Clifton out either. We need young corners. When you consider we are young at pretty much every other position (except TE--which needs an overhaul anyways), I don't agree that we have to win now or wait 6-7 years.

Packnut
02-03-2007, 11:04 PM

QB - 37
RB - 30
Wr - DD is 32
LT - 31
RT - 30
CB - AH 33 CW 31

Well, let's hope the QB replacement is on the roster. RB is a priority. I think Driver can play another 4 years. He was a late bloomer who seems to be getting better and better (Rod Smith-like?).

30 and 31 isn't that old for OTs. Tauscher will be around awhile. I wouldn't count Clifton out either. We need young corners. When you consider we are young at pretty much every other position (except TE--which needs an overhaul anyways), I don't agree that we have to win now or wait 6-7 years.

Yeah, but 30 and 31 for O-linemen is'nt that young either. Also, if Driver has to keep carrying the load, no way he's even the same WR in 3 years.

Lurker64
02-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Well, it's not like with this year's crop it's even possible to sell the farm and sign guys you think will make you an immediate superbowl contender since those guys aren't out there this year. So rather than overpay to sign one of the three or four mid-range offensive guys that will sign for megabucks this year, the Thompson method is probably the only sensible thing to do this offseason. Maybe you trade for Moss, but you don't get fleeced for him. Other than that, there's not a lot you can do this year.

Joemailman
02-04-2007, 07:36 AM

That will effect us.

I disagree with all the hand wringing about the schedule nest year. First of all, contrary to popular belief, the Packers did not have one of the leagues easiest schedules in 2006. Their strength of schedule ranked 16th. They played 7 out of 16 games against playoff teams, higher than the league average. They played 4 out of 16 games against teams that reached the conference championship game, which is twice the league average.

In 2006, the Packers played 7 games against teams that would finish with winning records, 8 games against teams that would finish with losing records, and 1 game against an 8-8 team. In 2007, the Packers will be playing 7 games against teams that had winning records in 2006, 6 games against teams that had losing records, and 3 teams that had 8-8 seasons. It's really not that big of a difference.

Add in to all this the fact that you just can't predict how teams will do from year to year. How many people at the beginning of 2006 would have thought that home games against New Orleans and New York Jets would be losses against teams that would eventually make the playoffs? Or that we would split with the Bears and win at Miami and Minnesota? You just don't know. Whether or not the Packers record improves next year will depend on whether the play of the team improves, not the strength of schedule.

BallHawk
02-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Joe makes some good points. It's really hard to say what teams will be hard opponents and which teams won't until about 2 or 3 weeks into the regular season. We know that teams such as San Diego should continue to do well. However teams like New York, Washington, Denver, etc. are up in the air. At the beginning of this season teams like Pittsburgh, Carolina, Miami were all predicted by experts as playoff contenders. None of them finished above .500.

motife
02-04-2007, 08:27 AM

I wouldn't wring my hands too much on the schedule.

What will be exciting about the Packers next year is can they build on :

Defense :
46 sacks, 4th in the NFL
23 interceptions, 3rd
55.5% completions, 2nd
32.6% 3rd Down %age, 4th
gutsy play of A.J. Hawk, Cullen Jenkins, Aaron Kampman, Nick Collins, Charles Woodson, Ryan Pickett, Al Harris

Offense :
if healthy, Greg Jennings is a real find
Corey Holliday and Ruvell Martin making clutch plays at end of season
offensive line stabilized, Spitz, Colledge, Moll need to get stronger, but they all responded to the challenge.
more controlled play of Brett Favre, McCarthy doing a great job with Brett
Morency and Herron look like good utiility backs. Morency looks like another Najeh, and Heron seems to ALWAYS get the first down when you need it.

Special teams ;
looks like Jon Ryan's gaudy numbers in Canada came from line drive punts. can he improve hang time to go with the strong leg?

I definitely see this team on the upswing, particuarly after the 35-0 debacle against New England. That was a turning point for McCarthy and the whole team, which they could not have responded to more positively.

I still can't figure out why Boston College thought it was so important to steal Jeff Jagodzinski from us. Who do they think he is, another Sylvester Crooms? But Joe Philbin will keep the development of the zone blocking going, and it was he who started to pull the Packers athletic group at the end of the season, which makes the running game more unpredictable.

b bulldog
02-04-2007, 09:33 AM
I do hope that TT continues to build via the draft and I also agree that we may be around 8-8 next season. The schedule is more difficult although with UFA, it is difficult to say what we'll be seeing from the opponents next season in regards to personel and this season we were relatively injury free.

b bulldog
02-04-2007, 09:34 AM
I do hope that TT continues to build via the draft and I also agree that we may be around 8-8 next season. The schedule is more difficult although with UFA, it is difficult to say what we'll be seeing from the opponents next season in regards to personel and this season we were relatively injury free. My thought is that the 08 season will be the season the team makes some huge strides.

Packnut
02-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Well, it's not like with this year's crop it's even possible to sell the farm and sign guys you think will make you an immediate superbowl contender since those guys aren't out there this year. So rather than overpay to sign one of the three or four mid-range offensive guys that will sign for megabucks this year, the Thompson method is probably the only sensible thing to do this offseason. Maybe you trade for Moss, but you don't get fleeced for him. Other than that, there's not a lot you can do this year.

You don't have to sell the farm. Johnson or Graham is an upgrade over what we have now and will not cost an arm and a leg. There are plenty of DB's out there also. Are you gonna tell me Woodson was'nt over-paid for? Yet I believe we all are happy to have him.

red
02-04-2007, 10:55 AM
like joe said, next years schedule mean squat at this point

we were suppose to have the easiest schedule this year, and it turned out to be pretty tuff with all those 4-12 teams and worse from last year actually looking good

we have no clue how tuff next years schedule will be until sometime during next season, when we see what teams are really like

if recent history shows us anything its that the bears could very well go 2-14 next year, dallas could completely fall apart, who knows about the giants without tiki

theres some question marks for almost every team next year

Scott Campbell
02-04-2007, 11:08 AM
In a couple a years all these positions will need to be replaced, so IMO its either we go for the superbowl now or in another 6-7 years.

Somebody forgot to tell New Orleans that they were supposed to wait 6 or 7 years to contend for a Superbowl berth. There are teams every year that prove you don't have to take half a decade to rebuild.

Packnut
02-04-2007, 12:04 PM
In a couple a years all these positions will need to be replaced, so IMO its either we go for the superbowl now or in another 6-7 years.

Somebody forgot to tell New Orleans that they were supposed to wait 6 or 7 years to contend for a Superbowl berth. There are teams every year that prove you don't have to take half a decade to rebuild.

The formula is very simple. Yes you build through the draft, but you also sprinkle in some key FA signings along the way. TT hit 2 out of 3 last season. IF he can go 2-3 this season, we're back in the play-offs.

ahaha
02-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Free agents can help, but the biggest factor in a team getting better is the improvement of young players. Hawk, Jennings, Spitz, College, Poppinga, Blackmon, Collins, Underwood, Morency, Moll, Wells, Raynor, Ryan, Hodge, Miree, etc. If a magority of these guys can take it to the next level, combined with only a small drop-off in veteren play, added with a good crop of rookies and a few decent free-agents, and the Packers become a legitimate playoff team.

Lurker64
02-04-2007, 12:19 PM
You don't have to sell the farm. Johnson or Graham is an upgrade over what we have now and will not cost an arm and a leg. There are plenty of DB's out there also. Are you gonna tell me Woodson was'nt over-paid for? Yet I believe we all are happy to have him.

If we sign Graham and one of the DBs out there, that's not exactly "going hog-wild" in free agency I'd say. It's the same kind of "incrementally getting better" in free agency that appears to be Thompson's modus operandi. It seemed to me that what the article was presenting as the alternative to that sort of thing was a Redskin's style spending spree, which is neither really possible nor wise with this free agent crop.

wist43
02-04-2007, 04:32 PM
You guys should be ashamed of yourselves... if I have to be the voice of optimism!!!

I can see the '07 Packers making a run at the playoffs - the NFC is an embarrassment as a conference, and the NFC North is an embarrassment as a division. The overall schedule may be more difficult, but a lot can happen.

That said, if Favre had retired, I could just as easily see this team making a run at the #1 pick for '08. My criticism of the offensive system is grounded in the post-Favre era. Favre coming back, legitimizes the offense to some extent.

And while I hate the defensive scheme, the addition of Hawk and Woodson, an upgrade at safety, and a healthy and productive Jenkins at RDE for a full season, could make the defense at least average.

Those things combined could be enough for the '07 Packers to make a run at the playoffs.

vince
02-04-2007, 04:41 PM
You guys should be ashamed of yourselves... if I have to be the voice of optimism!!!

I can see the '07 Packers making a run at the playoffs - the NFC is an embarrassment as a conference, and the NFC North is an embarrassment as a division. The overall schedule may be more difficult, but a lot can happen.

That said, if Favre had retired, I could just as easily see this team making a run at the #1 pick for '08. My criticism of the offensive system is grounded in the post-Favre era. Favre coming back, legitimizes the offense to some extent.

And while I hate the defensive scheme, the addition of Hawk and Woodson, an upgrade at safety, and a healthy and productive Jenkins at RDE for a full season, could make the defense at least average.

Those things combined could be enough for the '07 Packers to make a run at the playoffs.
It's good to see you've recovered from your "We're two years away from being even remotely competitive." statements from earlier in the season wist.

retailguy
02-04-2007, 05:19 PM

I'll give you one chance before I ban you - WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH WIST?..... :wink:

I'm not on the "playoff" bandwagon yet, but am happy I get to see Favre play once more in person, and 15 more times on TV.

wist43
02-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Don't go anointing me the new "Tex"... I'm not drunk on Kool-Aid.

And long term, I think their philosophies on both sides of the ball are flawed - with the caveat on offense being whether or not they have an all-pro calibur QB under center.

Defensively, I still think the scheme is junk, i.e. far too passive, and can really only be played to an average level. By design, I don't think it will ever dominate, or be enough to carry a team to a championship.

Short term, or year and year out, given a good enough QB, they can make token runs at the playoffs.

After Favre retires, unless they find a true heir apparent, they'll be drafting in the top 10 b/c the defense can never be a dominating unit that can carry a QB'less offense.

That said, I'm thrilled to have Favre back... and, expect to enjoy the '08 season - while watching him break records. Should be a lot of fun.

wist43
02-04-2007, 05:24 PM

I'll give you one chance before I ban you - WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WITH WIST?..... :wink:

I'm not on the "playoff" bandwagon yet, but am happy I get to see Favre play once more in person, and 15 more times on TV.

LOL!!!

I'm still here...