PDA

View Full Version : Prince

b bulldog
02-04-2007, 07:19 PM
I had to start a thread on Prince. You all can ridicule me for this but he is awesome!! The guy sure can play the guitar, would love to see him in concert.

Freak Out
02-04-2007, 07:27 PM
He wants to be Hendrix. Not gonna happen.

b bulldog
02-04-2007, 07:30 PM
No but if you think he doesn't have talent, your wrong.

Charles Woodson
02-04-2007, 07:41 PM
he really screwed up singing best of you by Foo fighters which is one of my favorite songs

RashanGary
02-04-2007, 07:42 PM
I was more impressed last year. He is pretty damn good though. Last year I remember thinking how impressive he was. This year, I think was not as good but I was talking to my wife and not really paying 100% attn.

b bulldog
02-04-2007, 07:42 PM
Who are the foo fighters??

Scott Campbell
02-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Shows the difference between choosing a real musician rather than a "performer".

red
02-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Shows the difference between choosing a real musician rather than a "performer".

amen

there was nothing fake about that show

it sounded a little sloppy, but he was using a wireless set from his guitars, and i'm wondering if the rain might have been messing with the signal

Cheesehead Craig
02-04-2007, 09:07 PM
Best halftime show in years. Finally we got somebody playing some friggin' screaming guitar.

FritzDontBlitz
02-04-2007, 09:29 PM
He wants to be Hendrix. Not gonna happen.

um, doesn't EVERY guitar player? lol

prince rocked.

b bulldog
02-04-2007, 09:34 PM
wow, I thought the masses would be dogging me for my love for Prince

esoxx
02-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Prince was spectacular. Best halftime performance I can remember.

red
02-04-2007, 09:37 PM

nah, that was quality stuff

a lot better then a lot of the crap they throw out there for halftime

KYPack
02-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Prince was spectacular. Best halftime performance I can remember.

Yeah, he's a great one.

My only beef was the choreography.

Those dancers were in all the early camera shots.

Guy rocked the joint as best he could.

Lot more vibe than Paul McCartney could put out, eh?

b bulldog
02-04-2007, 09:51 PM
Looking at concert info and it seems he only does Vegas at the moment.

PackerPro42
02-04-2007, 09:51 PM
The amazing thing is Prince is only 5'2''. Not that, that has anything to do with performance which was really good, but I thought I would throw it out there anyways.

VegasPackFan
02-04-2007, 10:02 PM
The best halftime show ever was U2 a few years back.

If you didnt feel that you are just dead, I remember goosebumps on that one.

Prince wa the next best on eI have ever seen

Scott Campbell
02-04-2007, 10:07 PM
The amazing thing is Prince is only 5'2''.

No matter how short, I bet he could have played better than Grossman tonight.

KYPack
02-04-2007, 10:16 PM

No matter how short, I bet he could have played better than Grossman tonight.

What's Prince's time in the 40?

MJZiggy
02-04-2007, 10:32 PM
Don't get too excited, I think I outweigh him. And could probably outrun him as well... :shock: 8) (especially if he doesn't lose the heels.)

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2007, 10:38 PM

Most amazing is that he must be about 50 and he looks like 18. He's the new Little Richard. He's seeing Dick Clark's guy.

Harlan Huckleby
02-04-2007, 10:42 PM
whups

The Shadow
02-04-2007, 10:49 PM
I thought he sucked.
Tried to watch, but it was just too crappy.

Joemailman
02-04-2007, 11:04 PM
They were talking about Prince, not Grossman.

Guiness
02-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Thought he was great too. I was surprised when he was announced - the old boys club at the NFL offices probably said 'get us another old guy out there who won't cause trouble' like they did with Jagger and McCartney.

Did anyone else think amongst all the shadows behind the sheet there was a rather phalic one? I'm sure that was giving the old boys heart failure. There could've been a prop failure and we could've see what that was!

CyclonePackFan
02-05-2007, 12:25 AM
Whatever happened to the good ol' days when a band performed at halftime?

IMO, the SB halftime show should be performed by the university band of the BCS champion (and yes, I am aware that FAMU's band was there). I'd much rather watch the Florida band than some guy whose best years came before I was born.

Also, I wonder if the FCC can fine CBS for a phallic symbol in the halftime show.

mmmdk
02-05-2007, 04:45 AM
Prince - now that's the only way a guy from Minnesota gets to the super bowl. :D Prince was nice though - better than most half time shows (resently).

LaFours
02-05-2007, 08:24 AM
Thought he was great too. I was surprised when he was announced - the old boys club at the NFL offices probably said 'get us another old guy out there who won't cause trouble' like they did with Jagger and McCartney.

Did anyone else think amongst all the shadows behind the sheet there was a rather phalic one? I'm sure that was giving the old boys heart failure. There could've been a prop failure and we could've see what that was!

I saw the same thing Guiness. My brother and I laughed hysterically at Prince's purple peni$.

Cheesehead Craig
02-05-2007, 08:28 AM
They were talking about Prince, not Grossman.
Ha!

Partial
02-05-2007, 09:50 AM
Did any of you catch the kittie half-time show of the puppy bowl?

HarveyWallbangers
02-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I tuned out--as I usually do. Prince hasn't done much in recent years, but he's always been an exceptionally talented musician. He plays like 20 different instruments, and he plays them well. He's can be a real turd though. I have a relative that worked at Paisley Park back in the day, and there was a rule that hired workers couldn't look at Prince.

Partial
02-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I tuned out--as I usually do. Prince hasn't done much in recent years, but he's always been an exceptionally talented musician. He plays like 20 different instruments, and he plays them well. He's can be a real turd though. I have a relative that worked at Paisley Park back in the day, and there was a rule that hired workers couldn't look at Prince.

Blasphemy!! I think you need to cleanse your soul in the waters of lake minnetonka!!

MadtownPacker
02-05-2007, 10:53 AM
I think Prince is a lil chump but the wimp has major game and the honeys eat up his schtick.

Freak Out
02-05-2007, 11:24 AM

I saw the same thing Guiness. My brother and I laughed hysterically at Prince's purple peni$.

As soon as I saw that I thought of the devils tail and cock. I'm surprised the moral majority and the Evangelical community aren’t all over that. But maybe we just have dirty minds?

As far as Prince or whatever he is calling himself now I thought his show sucked. He is a talented musician and performer and has always been a good guitarist but I can stand to NEVER hear “Purple Rain” again. What the hell was up with all the Michael Jackson like shrieking? The NFL or whoever they contract that out to needs to get it right.

MasonCrosby
02-05-2007, 11:53 AM
I thought he sucked.
Tried to watch, but it was just too crappy.

i thought the same thing, guess we're the minority here

motife
02-05-2007, 12:01 PM

there is nobody to compare to Prince.

I ordered a LASER disc of his production/association with the Joffrey Ballet, then converted to DVD, just because that's the only way I could obtain it.

MadtownPacker
02-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Besides, the lil freak wears purple, more then enough reason to hate him. :P

b bulldog
02-05-2007, 12:26 PM
purple Rain, he does get some real honey's though.

MadtownPacker
02-05-2007, 12:31 PM
You got that right Bulldog.

I actually went to a concert of his in like 1997 or so and it was the livest concert I have ever been to.

The chicas, oh man, the chicas where off the hook!! Dude even had a bed on stage and got nasty then a Mfer.

Freak Out
02-05-2007, 12:40 PM
You got that right Bulldog.

I actually went to a concert of his in like 1997 or so and it was the livest concert I have ever been to.

The chicas, oh man, the chicas where off the hook!! Dude even had a bed on stage and got nasty then a Mfer.

The guy has always been crazy with the wenchs! What was the nasty gals name he was hanging with back in the day...she had her own little band thing going on with two other girls and they all wore negligees and nighties. I remember seeing her on with Johnny Carson…..he was packing a Roscoe that night.....stupid song called "Nasty Girls" or some such shit?

The Shadow
02-05-2007, 12:44 PM
McCartney & the Stones were great.
Their halftime performances were 100% better.
Prince was ok, I suppose, for teenyboppers, but
he is not nearly in the same league as the others.

mngolf19
02-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Did any of you catch the kittie half-time show of the puppy bowl?

Actually I did, Partial. Not as good at the puppy bowl though.

MadtownPacker
02-05-2007, 12:50 PM
he is not nearly in the same league as the others.
What did you expect them to do?? Dig Sinatra up and bring him back to life? :lol:

Zool
02-05-2007, 12:58 PM
he is not nearly in the same league as the others.Wow the Stones looked like the living dead. If Mick gets any more facial work done, he'll be Joan Rivers. They were terrible. McCartney was good though. Prince was around in 1982, so he's hardly appealing to the "teeny boppers".

mmmdk
02-05-2007, 02:41 PM
What happened to the Carpenters?

HarveyWallbangers
02-05-2007, 02:47 PM
Prince was around in 1982, so he's hardly appealing to the "teeny boppers".

Has Prince had a hit song since the late 80s/early 90s? Seriously, there are "teeny boppers" that may have never heard of Prince. Prince's first album came out in the late 70s. Isn't he close to 50 now?

The Shadow
02-05-2007, 03:38 PM
For me, you could lump Brittney Spears, Michael Jackson, Prince, Kiss, Beyonce, and American Idol 'stars' into the same, disposable Hefty Sack bag of pretentious pop culture mediocrity.
Will anyone remember their songs 20 years from now? 20 minutes??

SkinBasket
02-05-2007, 03:48 PM
I had to start a thread on Prince. You all can ridicule me for this but he is awesome!! The guy sure can play the guitar, would love to see him in concert.

No, you don't. Saw him at Summer Fest a few years back. He played some of his current stuff for a bit, which at the time was poor, then played piano lounge music for about an hour and a half, and then wrapped it up with a 20 minute conglomeration of all his past work (the good stuff). All the while we had 250 pound fatties immediately behind us screaming their undying love for Prince from 200 yards away. I don't think he heard them.

At least the tickets were free.

LL2
02-05-2007, 04:10 PM
Personally I wasn’t too impressed, but never have been a big fan of Prince. Might’ve been better if it wasn’t pouring rain. I like the half time show with Kid Rock, but was that the one Janet Jackson flashed her boob? I don’t know what the deal is going with these old farts. Why not have Tony Bennett perform next year? He was popular on MTV a few years ago.

BF4MVP
02-05-2007, 05:20 PM
I liked the Prince show a lot.

cpk1994
02-05-2007, 05:30 PM
For me, you could lump Brittney Spears, Michael Jackson, Prince, Kiss, Beyonce, and American Idol 'stars' into the same, disposable Hefty Sack bag of pretentious pop culture mediocrity.
Will anyone remember their songs 20 years from now? 20 minutes??

I think that Michael Jacksons "Thriller", "Billie Jean", and "Beat It" are still remembered today and those songs came out almost 25 years ago. Not to mention Prince's "Purple Rain", "When Doves Cry", "Raspberry Beret", and "1999". BTW, lumping in Michael and Prince with Britney is an insult to their music catalogs.

Badgepack
02-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Why would Prince do covers of other peoples songs?

Jimx29
02-05-2007, 05:56 PM
I hate the fact that it's turned into a big deal halftime show with some football game before and after, rather that the biggest football game of the years with some halftime entertainment

Scott Campbell
02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
The guy has always been crazy with the wenchs! What was the nasty gals name he was hanging with back in the day...

I think that would be Vanity....aka born again christian Denise Matthews. Where have all the bad girls gone.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~lanning/jpgs/manuela/vanity02.jpg

motife
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM
From Wikipedia :

On February 4, 2007, Prince performed at the Super Bowl XLI halftime show in Miami, Florida. The performance consisted of 3 Purple Rain tracks ("Let's Go Crazy", "Baby, I'm a Star" and the title track), along with cover versions of "All Along the Watchtower","Best of You" and "Proud Mary". For the 18 minute performance Prince was accompanied by two dancers he calls “the Twins” and the 100-member Florida A&M University Marching Band and had rehearsed with the drum line for a week before the performance. He played before 74,512 fans at Dolphin Stadium (who had been given flashlights to point at the stage during the performance of Purple Rain). The event was carried “to the biggest audience of his life -- 140 million television viewers”. Overall, the show was energetic and quite well-received by the rain-soaked audience surrounding the stage. Most professional music critics have been enthusiastic about his performance, one calling it "arguably the best halftime show in Super Bowl history", and others saying it was one of the best ever even through the foggy weather.

(I thought the Stones KICKED ASS last year.)

Prince Rogers Nelson was born in Minneapolis, Minnesota at Mount Sinai Hospital on June 7, 1958 to John L. Nelson and Mattie Shaw. His father played in a jazz trio The Prince Rogers Trio, hence Prince's birth name. There are a number of myths regarding Prince’s ethnicity and gender, some spread by Prince himself. The most pervasive is that he is the child of a black father and white mother, a myth later bolstered by the film Purple Rain, starring Prince himself. Prince's parents are, in fact, African American, his mother of African American, Native American, & White lineage, specifically (noted in a 1985 Rolling Stone interview with Prince). And according to an April 28, 1983 Rolling Stone article,[1] Prince's father is of Black and Italian ancestry, and his mother "is a mixture of a bunch of things."

After the birth of his sister, Tika Evene in 1960, Prince's parents gradually drifted apart. Prince’s parents formally separated and he had a troubled relationship with his stepfather causing him to run away from home. He lived briefly with his father, who bought him his first guitar. Later, Prince moved in with a neighborhood family, the Andersons, and became friends with their son, Andre Anderson (later called André Cymone).

Prince and Anderson joined Prince’s cousin Charles Smith in a band called Grand Central, formed in junior high school. Initially his involvement was just part of a mainly instrumental band that played clubs and parties in the Minneapolis area. As time went by and Prince's musical knowledge broadened he found himself dictating the arrangements to the rest of the band. Before long he had become the band's frontman. By the time Prince had entered high school, Grand Central evolved into Champagne and started playing original music already drawing on a range of influences including Sly Stone, James Brown, Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix.

In 1976, he started working on a demo tape with producer Chris Moon in a Minneapolis studio. He also had the patronage of Owen Husney, to whom Moon introduced him, allowing him to produce a quality demo. Husney started contacting major labels and ran a campaign promoting Prince as a star of the future, resulting in a bidding war eventually won by Warner Bros. Records. They were the only label to give Prince creative control of his songs and offered him a contract.

Freak Out
02-05-2007, 06:37 PM
The guy has always been crazy with the wenchs! What was the nasty gals name he was hanging with back in the day...

I think that would be Vanity....aka born again christian Denise Matthews. Where have all the bad girls gone.

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~lanning/jpgs/manuela/vanity02.jpg

Vanity......oh ya.

MadtownPacker
02-05-2007, 06:40 PM
All the while we had 250 pound fatties immediately behind us screaming their undying love for Prince from 200 yardsaway.
Why would you take your Mom and Aunt to a Prince concert? :lol:

b bulldog
02-05-2007, 08:12 PM
I think he hasn't done anything for himself that has gotten play in a while but he has written numerous hits I guess for others. maybe next year it could be Lionel Ritchie 8)

Noodle
02-05-2007, 08:32 PM
Prince was smoking good. Just an amazing guitar player. And you know he knew exactly what it looked like when he stroked the neck of his guitar behind that scrim.

But you can enjoy Prince without crackin' on the Stones. Show a little friggin respect.

HarveyWallbangers
02-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Apparently, Prince re-found his spirituality in 1999. I just heard this on the radio from a guy who claims he's been to over 100 Prince concerts. He doesn't swear in concert anymore. He's taken the sexual lyrics out of his songs. Stuff like that. This explains why the NFL felt comfortable putting him on. I guess the guy wasn't lying since I found this:

For Prince, a Resurgence Accompanied by Spirituality
By Jon Pareles, New York Times

CHANHASSEN, Minn., July 8 — The sound of someone knocking out a funk drumbeat thumped down a hallway as a visitor walked into Paisley Park, the studio complex Prince built in this Minneapolis suburb. Soon afterward the drummer emerged, wearing a white jacket of Chinese silk, tight white pants with buttons up the leg, white shoes and a red T-shirt lettered NPGMC. It was Prince, who had been using the time before an interview to record one more track for one more song in progress.

Prince has been virtually a one-man studio band since he released his first album in 1978, and in the years since he has recorded funk and rock, pop ballads and jazzy excursions; he has written streamlined, straightfoward hits and complex experiments. His skill and versatility have made him a model for musicians as different as D'Angelo, Beck and OutKast, and his storehouse of unreleased material, which he calls the Vault, may well hold thousands of songs.

"I record all the time," he said simply. But this afternoon he paused to reflect on what has been his best year in at least a decade.

Prince led off this year's Grammy Awards broadcast in February, joined onstage by Beyoncé, and he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in March. His current album, "Musicology" (Paisley Park/Columbia), has sold more than a million copies in the United States since it was released in June, and it is lodged in the Top 20 of the Billboard album chart. Meanwhile, Prince is selling out arenas on tour.

On Monday Prince starts a three-night stand at Madison Square Garden, followed by shows at the Continental Arena in East Rutherford, N.J. (July 16 and 18), the Hartford Civic Center (July 17) and Nassau Coliseum in Uniondale, N.Y. (July 20). He usually follows arena shows with late-night jam sessions at clubs. He has also renovated Paisley Park to change it from two recording studios to four. And on Dec. 31, 2001, he quietly married Manuela Testolini, a former Paisley Park employee.

Prince, 46, said he was a bit sleepy as he led his visitor into Studio A and settled in behind the 48-track mixing console. But on "Musicology" he boasted that he didn't have an Off switch, and he grew more animated as he spoke: jumping to his feet, picking up a guitar to play a funk vamp, declaiming and gesticulating like a gospel preacher.

The lascivious young man who recorded albums like "Dirty Mind" (1980) has affirmed a newfound faith. "I always knew I had a relationship with God," he said. "But I wasn't sure God had a relationship with me."

One of the new rooms in Paisley Park has the word "Knowledge" painted outside it. Its shelves hold books and pamphlets from the Jehovah's Witnesses, and a Bible sits open on a lectern. Prince has stopped using profanity and has stopped singing about casual sex.

"I've always understood the two to be intertwined, sexuality and spirituality," he said. "That never changed. What became more clear-cut to me was the importance of monogamy. And that was in the Scriptures many years ago."

"The word sex has been turned into something so. . . . it means so many things to so many different people," he added. "I don't use it much anymore. It's been sullied."

On tour, he has been reaching into his old repertory for songs like "Purple Rain" and "D.M.S.R.," which stands for "Dance Music Sex Romance." Is he embarrassed now by some of the raunchier songs in his catalog? "Embarrassed?" he said with a smile. "I don't know that word. Have you seen my outfits?"

Tabulating Prince's current success has been contentious. On his current tour, concertgoers receive copies of the album as part of the price of the ticket, and those albums have been counted for Billboard's chart rankings. "Once the ticket is sold, the CD is sold," Prince said. "It's one-stop shopping." According to Sony Music, those albums account for about 27 percent of sales of "Musicology." Yet even during the week ending July 4, when Prince was not playing concerts, the album sold 61,000 copies, keeping it at No. 15.

"One has been spurring the other, which is exactly what Prince thought it would do," said Michelle Anthony, executive vice president of Sony Music. "With someone like Prince, you almost have cover to break all the rules."

After complaints that Prince was giving the album away, Billboard and SoundScan, which compiles the charts, changed the method for counting album sales. If an album is sold with a concert ticket, the buyer now has to specifically authorize a surcharge for the price of the album if the sale is to be counted. Yet the rule is not retroactive, so Prince is likely to remain near the top of the chart for as long as he is on tour.

"I didn't do this to usurp power from Billboard or SoundScan," he said. "But the real power is in community, in actually connecting with people."

Prince's new visibility is not exactly a comeback. He never stopped making albums or touring, but for years he left behind the star-making machinery of the major labels. His longtime contract with Warner Brothers Records turned sour in 1993 as he changed his name to an unpronounceable glyph and appeared with the word "Slave" written on his face. Albums credited to Prince, with songs from the Vault and titles like "Chaos and Disorder," continued to appear on Warner until the contract ran out, while albums credited to the glyph were released independently. He is now negotiating with Warner Brothers over the release of remastered versions of his old albums, including a 20th-anniversary edition of "Purple Rain."

Prince formed his own company, NPG Records (for New Power Generation, the name of his band). Fans can subscribe to the NPG Music Club (www.npgmusicclub.com), which offers music to download and advance notice and discounts on concert tickets. After the Warner contract ended, Prince resumed using his old name.

By then he had decided on a new business model. In a typical recording contract, the label finances the recording of an album and other costs, then recoups its investment from the musicians' royalties, typically about 15 percent of the album's wholesale price. After costs are recouped, the label still owns the master recording, an agreement some musicians have compared to paying off a mortgage but having the bank still own the house. "There are a bunch of laws on the books that allow them to rape artists," Prince said.

Prince refuses to accept that arrangement anymore. In his current deal with Sony Music USA — Don Ienner, the president of Sony Music USA, called it unique — Prince pays for recording and promotional costs, and Columbia presses, distributes and markets the album, receiving a percentage of each sale. It is not a long-term or exclusive agreement, although Columbia would be happy to repeat it. "No one can come and claim ownership of my work," Prince said. "I am the creator of it, and it lives within me."

"It's the way it should have been a long time ago," he added. "The whole paradigm has got to shift. But I'm free now."

He tried a similar one-shot deal with Arista, in 1999, for "Rave un2 the Joy Fantastic," credited to the glyph, but its songs were more convoluted than those on "Musicology," which puts its funk and hooks on the surface. The album has made it easy for old fans to rediscover him and younger ones to connect.

"I make all kinds of records," Prince said. "For this album, I didn't feel like making some grand statement. It ain't like me trying to pull the trigger back and annihilate something. I'm just chillin'."

By this time, friends and family had drifted into Studio A: Prince's wife, the funk bass player Larry Graham and Mr. Graham's wife, daughter, son-in-law and grandson. The grandson, Jaiden Eittreim, 19 months old, was poking at a keyboard while Prince pushed buttons to trigger rhythm tracks, approving of the child's timing: "He is definitely going to be funky," Prince said.

Eventually it was bedtime, and Jaiden started to fuss and pout as he was dislodged from the keyboard. Ms. Testolini looked on with a smile: "That's just how Prince is," she said fondly of her husband, "when you try to take him out of the studio."

SkinBasket
02-06-2007, 08:53 AM
All the while we had 250 pound fatties immediately behind us screaming their undying love for Prince from 200 yardsaway.
Why would you take your Mom and Aunt to a Prince concert? :lol:

I wish it were them. At least they would have been drunk and their actions thereby justifiable. These fatties were stone cold sober. And jiggly.

Zool
02-06-2007, 09:49 AM
Excess sweater meat. Just how Skin likes em.