PDA

View Full Version : packers win the division next year?

red
02-04-2007, 09:36 PM
you know the record for the superbowl loser making the playoffs the next year isn't too good

does this open the door wider for us to not only make the playoffs, but win the division next season?

digitaldean
02-04-2007, 09:38 PM
you know the record for the superbowl loser making the playoffs the next year isn't too good

does this open the door wider for us to not only make the playoffs, but win the division next season?

If you go off of trends, yes.

But the Packers need to make the right moves (plus find someone to get Schotty deported ANYWHERE!)

RashanGary
02-04-2007, 09:42 PM
I think it's very possible. I think the young Packers are going to take big leaps forward.

Hawk, Jennings, Spits, Colledge, Moll, Collins, Poppinga, Rayner, Ryan, Jenkins, Cory Williams, John Jolly *I think he's going to play very well*, Morency

The we'll get another good draft class and a starter or two from FA and we'll be ready to roll through these pathetic teddy's.

b bulldog
02-04-2007, 09:44 PM
Let's wait and see what happens in the draft and UFA before we predict anything. My bet would be second place at around 8-8 :(

Joemailman
02-04-2007, 09:54 PM
Keep in mind the Bears will be getting 2 Pro Bowl defensive players back. However, the QB position is a real problem for them. It's hard to imagine the team really having confidence in Grossman, and Griese isn't the answer.

The Packer, meanwhile, have closed the gap. If the Packers can improve red-zone efficiency, they have a chance to challenge the Bears.

SD GB fan
02-04-2007, 11:14 PM
im going with 8-8 next season again. tougher schedule and the unexpected.

Zool
02-05-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm confused by the tougher schedule argument. We still play the exact same teams as the rest of our division except 2.

6 NFC north
4 NFC division(dont remember which)
4 AFC division(see above)

That only leaves 2 games. The Bears had a 13-3 record and should play the tougher schedule.

This year we had the AFC east and NFC west. Hopefully we don't get the AFC south next year.

LL2
02-05-2007, 09:02 AM
im going with 8-8 next season again. tougher schedule and the unexpected.

I’m going to go with 9-7. This young team will get better. The key will be winning games at home and winning those close ones. IF they can add another playmaker at #16, and get a couple solid veterans in UFA like Woodson to gel with the rest of the team they have a shot at the playoffs.

There was an article in the sports section of our local paper yesterday that said…”Favre back, will Packers spend some of their money?” With TT basically saying “don’t count on it.” He expressed his disdain for FA and said you build a championship team through the draft. So, when FA opens up in a few weeks expect the Packers to sit back and watch for a couple months like last year.

Cheesehead Craig
02-05-2007, 09:15 AM
I'm with Zool on this one. The division plays almost the same schedule. There is no real difference in who everyone plays (only 2 games difference). The whole "they play a much harder schedule than we do" argument is lost on me.

Oh, and we all get the NFC East and the AFC West next year.

mmmdk
02-05-2007, 09:25 AM
The draft and free agency is the name of the game - TT has got to draft better and hit a few home runs in later rounds too. TT's 2005 draft is well below avg. plus the Rodgers factor and 2006 looks solid but not spectacular yet it's way too early as a handful of 2006 Packer rookies looks to get better.

Bears, Titans and Saints are the obvious home runners in the 2006 draft but teams like Pats, Colts and Eagles got major help via the draft too. Packers found solid help too hence the 8-8 record - maybe - or the cupcake schedule had a say too.

wist43
02-05-2007, 09:26 AM
Why not...

Given that Minnesota doesn't have a QB, and Chicago is so inconsistent, and Detroit is Detroit... It's a very weak division.

Combine those with Favre coming back, and they have as good a shot as anyone else... Hell, given the overall weakness of the conference, they could even get past the first round of the playoffs.

It's really embarrassing how bad the NFC is.

Partial
02-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Why not...

Given that Minnesota doesn't have a QB, and Chicago is so inconsistent, and Detroit is Detroit... It's a very weak division.

Combine those with Favre coming back, and they have as good a shot as anyone else... Hell, given the overall weakness of the conference, they could even get past the first round of the playoffs.

It's really embarrassing how bad the NFC is.

Not really. A Bears team with Tommy Harris can compete with anyone. An Eagles team with Donovan McNabb can compete with anyone. The Ravens are going to get old fast. Indy is going to lose at least one pro bowler in FA. San Diego is damn good.

HarveyWallbangers
02-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Keep in mind the Bears will be getting 2 Pro Bowl defensive players back.

Can you bank on that? Brown gets injured almost every year. They also lost Harris, but this has been a defense that seems to get injuries every year, and I wonder if it's because of their style of play. Looking back, this has probably been one of their defenses healthier years. However, the Packers had very few injuries this year, and there's no guarantee that will happen again. It will probably fall somewhere in between 2005 and 2006 on the injury scale--hopefully closer to 2006.

Partial
02-05-2007, 10:38 AM

Can you bank on that? Brown gets injured almost every year. They also lost Harris, but this has been a defense that seems to get injuries every year, and I wonder if it's because of their style of play. Looking back, this has probably been one of their defenses healthier years. However, the Packers had very few injuries this year, and there's no guarantee that will happen again. It will probably fall somewhere in between 2005 and 2006 on the injury scale--hopefully closer to 2006.

True fact. Didn't really consider that. They severally need some depth on the OL. I have a hunch Barry and co are gone, and they continue revamping the back-ups.

Packnut
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM

People don't pay enough attention to trends when it comes to the NFL. The losing SB does'nt go back. There are a myriad of reasons but the bottom line is they don't go back. Winning the division however is another story. The Bears should win it IF they remain healthy.

As for us, a lot of things need to happen. The young guys have to take the next step. Jennings need's to prove his start was'nt just an illusion. We need a #3WR and a tight end in order to have ANY chance at competing with Chicago. It could happen........

Merlin
02-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Weren't the Bears supposed to have the tougher schedule this year because they won the division? If I remember right, coming into the season the Bears had the easiest schedule in the NFL. That's why I hate this whole realignment thing. I like the fact that it evens out everything within the division but there is not much separation in the strength of schedule between #1 and #4. The Bears for YEARS played a much weaker schedule then the Packers and the Vikings in the old division. Hell, the Lions have always played a WEAK schedule....lol.

I like our chances within our division. We can be 5-1 or 6-0 based on this years performance and the odds are we get better at least a little. We have the following teams at home: Philly, Washington, Oakland, San Diego and Carolina. Road: Dallas, NY Giants, Denver, Kansas City and St Louis.

Finally we have Philly at home. Even though we lost the last time they were in Green Bay, it was something like 7-6 if I remember right.

Philly - Even
Washington - W
Oakland - W
San Diego - L
Carolina - W
Dallas - Even
Giants - W
Denver - W
Chiefs - L
Rams - Even

If we don't do anything else to improve our team and we don't suffer the sophomore blues, I think those are a real possibility. If we go 5-1 in the division again we could be anywhere from 10-6 to 13-3. Realistically looking at the Packers and how we tank at least one game a season and also get out to horrible starts, we probably will be 8-8 to 10-6 because teams we play later in the season will be in the playoff hunt like us and they will be tougher to win.

Packnut
02-05-2007, 10:59 AM
Weren't the Bears supposed to have the tougher schedule this year because they won the division? If I remember right, coming into the season the Bears had the easiest schedule in the NFL. That's why I hate this whole realignment thing. I like the fact that it evens out everything within the division but there is not much separation in the strength of schedule between #1 and #4. The Bears for YEARS played a much weaker schedule then the Packers and the Vikings in the old division. Hell, the Lions have always played a WEAK schedule....lol.

I like our chances within our division. We can be 5-1 or 6-0 based on this years performance and the odds are we get better at least a little. We have the following teams at home: Philly, Washington, Oakland, San Diego and Carolina. Road: Dallas, NY Giants, Denver, Kansas City and St Louis.

Finally we have Philly at home. Even though we lost the last time they were in Green Bay, it was something like 7-6 if I remember right.

Philly - Even
Washington - W
Oakland - W
San Diego - L
Carolina - W
Dallas - Even
Giants - W
Denver - W
Chiefs - L
Rams - Even

If we don't do anything else to improve our team and we don't suffer the sophomore blues, I think those are a real possibility. If we go 5-1 in the division again we could be anywhere from 10-6 to 13-3. Realistically looking at the Packers and how we tank at least one game a season and also get out to horrible starts, we probably will be 8-8 to 10-6 because teams we play later in the season will be in the playoff hunt like us and they will be tougher to win.

The real question that need's to be answered is what D shows up? The one that got torched against NY and NE? Or the one we saw the last 4 games?

b bulldog
02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
IMO,TT has drafted very well. His first draft that included Rodgers,Poppinga,Murphy, Montgomery, Underwood and Collins was a pretty good draft and last seasons draft was very good.

Partial
02-05-2007, 11:00 AM
home: Philly, Washington, Oakland, San Diego and Carolina.

Philly is going to be a tough, tough game.

They should beat Washington and Oakland.

San Diego will almost surely be a loss.

Carolina is a question mark. They play awesome some games and below average some games. I'll give the Pack a win since its at home.

Road: Dallas, NY Giants, Denver, Kansas City and St Louis.

Dallas is going to be a tough, tough game. I don't know that they'll win on the road in big D.

NY is going to be a tough game. NY has a lot of talent they just need to stay healty. I don't think they'll win this game.

Denver is going to be a very tough game. I don't think they'll win this game.

Kansas City is going to be closer than the other ones. I think they'll beat the chiefs.

The Rams are tough at home and Favre always sucks it up in the TWA dome. I think they'll lose this game.

They have a significantly tougher schedule this year.

wist43
02-05-2007, 11:14 AM
The Bears, top to bottom, are the most talented team in the division, but Grossman can be a train wreck.

If Minnesota can solve their QB problems, I'd say it's a competetive 3 horse race, with the edge going to Chicago.

Getting Brett back makes the Packers at least repectable... w/o Brett, Green Bay wouldn't have a prayer.

MasonCrosby
02-05-2007, 11:58 AM
i think Green Bay has a chance, they need to add a few pieces, but they could certainly compete in the NFC for a playoff berth