PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Sharpe in the ESPN booth

Guiness
02-04-2007, 11:46 PM
Wow, was he bad. A guy I was watching with was a casual fan, and even he remarked how he was just pointing out obvious stuff, repeating himself, and not really offering much 'colour'.

But what pissed me off the most though was how he didn't acknowledge Brett when the play-by-play guy led into it. They were talking about Manning-Harrison being the most prolific QB-WR combination in history, and the play-by-play guy said 'of course, you had the opportunity to play a few years with a pretty good one yourself' and SS ignored it and talked about something else. I remember noticing him doing it again later in the game when the other guy gave him a lead in, but I don't recall the details.

digitaldean
02-05-2007, 12:08 AM
I missed that... did you mean Sterling?

I was having too much fun listening to the Bear fans go berzerk on Chicago radio.

cpk1994
02-05-2007, 07:54 AM
He meant Shannon and what He was alluding to was John Elway, not Brett.

Partial
02-05-2007, 07:56 AM
I had a hard time understanding him because he was talking really, really fast at times.

AtownPackFan
02-05-2007, 09:09 AM
Guiness...you do know that Shannon Sharpe played for Denver right?

As for the announcers forthe Super Bowl, I think they did a fabulous job! I don't remember hearing them talk at all during the game, and that is what I call great announcing.

I remember the commentary during each of the challenged plays, but that is about it. Nice to know they had announcers calling the game should anyone have wanted to listen to them.

MadtownPacker
02-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Brothers and jerks at that, not hard to get them mixed up. :P

Guiness
02-05-2007, 10:28 AM
!!!DOH!!!

Ok, so I didn't know who was announcing. I never watch ESPN, and don't know their crew. I thought it was Sterling in the booth, but my subcounsious must've made me type Shannon!

Either way, he sucked, big time. And it's just as ridiculous that he didn't give props to Elway.

Little Whiskey
02-05-2007, 04:11 PM
the problem with shannon is that he has a mouth full of marbles when he talks. it trips over his own tongue. the only reason he has the job he does is because he played in the NFL. same thing for Irving. any other anchor who gets caught "holding" Cocaine for his "buddy" would be canned on the spot. ask marv albert!!

Scott Campbell
02-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Just once I want to hear Shannon say:

"The rain in Spain falls mainly in the plain"

Scott Campbell
02-05-2007, 05:08 PM
the problem with shannon is that he has a mouth full of marbles when he talks. it trips over his own tongue.

He's a cross between Michael Irvin and Cindy Brady.

cpk1994
02-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Guiness, you are aware that you were watching Shannon on CBS, not ESPN, don't you? :lol:

Freak Out
02-05-2007, 05:25 PM
the problem with shannon is that he has a mouth full of marbles when he talks. it trips over his own tongue.

He's a cross between Michael Irvin and Cindy Brady.

Lol..........

BooHoo
02-05-2007, 06:55 PM
I do not care for Shannon announcing either. Yes, he has a mouth full of marbles when he talks and doesn't say anything of value. He should be released this off season.

Collapse
02-05-2007, 08:57 PM
http://www.superbowl.com/news/story/9972871

Last paragraph. It seems Sterling was doing the NFL International feed.

"Super Bowl XLI will be broadcast live in 33 languages, including 12 languages from Dolphin Stadium: English, Danish, Flemish, French, German, Hungarian, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian and Spanish. In addition, the game will be broadcast in Arabic, Basque, Cantonese, Catalan, Croatian, Faroese, Farsi, Filipino, Galician, Greek, Greenlandic, Hindi, Icelandic, Italian, Korean, Macedonian, Montenegrin, Polish, Serbian, Swedish and Thai. English-speaking countries airing the game on the NFL International world feed will hear Sterling Sharpe and Spiro Dedes call the action and provide a commentary tailored for international fans. Super Bowl XLI also will be available in an audio cybercast in six languages on SuperBowl.com, the NFL's official website. The game will be on the site in French, German, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Spanish."

Partial
02-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Welcome to PR, Collapse!! At first, we just seem crazy!! But once to get to know us, well, we still seem crazy then!! :P :lol:

Little Whiskey
02-05-2007, 10:30 PM

yep, all languages at the same time!!!!

by the way Collapse, i'm the only sane one on here.

glad you joined us!

Guiness
02-05-2007, 11:52 PM

Ha! Vindicated :D

Being as I'm in West Africa right now, I think that qualifies as an international feed. So it was Sterling i was listening to. And Spiro - I remember hearing that name.

Good find Collapse. I nominate you as a 'Patler in training'

Chester Marcol
02-06-2007, 02:16 PM

Was he speaking english? I thought he was doing the Zimbabwe feed and they just got the signals crossed.