PDA

View Full Version : Ankle surgery??

GrnBay007
02-05-2007, 12:48 AM
That's quite the quote from TT lol

Favre returns: No decision on ankle surgery

By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson said Friday quarterback Brett Favre may still have surgery on the ankle that has bothered him for the last seven seasons.

Favre had surgery scheduled for the day after the season ended. When he returned home to Mississippi without having the surgery, some took that to mean his playing days were over.

With Friday's news that Favre will return next season, Thompson said it will be Favre's decision about whether he has ankle surgery.

"He might," Thompson said. "I don't think anything's scheduled, but it's something that, like Mike (McCarthy) explained earlier in the year, it's something that he's played with. But I think it's something that he might do. But if he does, I'm sure you'll know about it."

Even if Favre doesn't have surgery, Thompson said he was unsure of how much Favre would participate in quarterback school, the minicamps and organized team activities.

During Mike Sherman's final season as coach, he allowed Favre to skip both minicamps. During McCarthy's first season as coach, Favre participated in one of the minicamps and attended some of the organized team activities.

"All? I don't know. … I'm sure some," Thompson said when asked about Favre's offseason participation plans. "Mike will probably be letting everyone know what the plan is."

Favre will turn 38 on Oct. 10, and Thompson said the team is willing to do whatever is necessary to make sure Favre can continue to play at the level he did last season.

"I think with all players, once they've reached a certain maturity level in the NFL, I think you do certain things, (like) older guys probably didn't take as many reps.

"When I was here before, when I was gone and since I've been back, they count every throw that he makes."

Thompson said that despite Favre's age, he hasn't seen much decline in his level of play. Favre may not be playing at the same level as he was when he won three MVPs from 1995-97, but he was able to put up respectable numbers last season with 3,885 yards, 18 touchdowns and 18 interceptions.

hurleyfan
02-05-2007, 05:21 AM
If Favre does have surgery, I would hope it will be soon so he can be fully recovered for the "spring" activities.. even if he only participates in some of them.

If he doesn't have the surgery, it'll just be the kind've somewhat painful / bothersome ankle problems he's endured the last few years right? He seemed to move pretty well..

Joemailman
02-05-2007, 09:31 AM
I get the sense TT would like him to have the surgery, but Favre is balking. I wish he would get it done. At times I do think the ankles have affected his footwork, and may be a factor in his decreased accuracy last year. He can certainly play at a respectable level without the surgery, but I think he would be even better if he got it done.

Partial
02-05-2007, 09:36 AM
I get the sense TT would like him to have the surgery, but Favre is balking. I wish he would get it done. At times I do think the ankles have affected his footwork, and may be a factor in his decreased accuracy last year. He can certainly play at a respectable level without the surgery, but I think he would be even better if he got it done.

Yep, I think he'd be a much better player if he wasn't in pain all the time.

Brando19
02-05-2007, 09:48 AM
My gut feeling is Brett Favre is going to be playing for several more seasons as well, perhaps into his 40s. That may sound crazy, but the NFL has instituted some crazy rules that treat quarterbacks like deity. I call them the Favre Rules. Unlike when Messrs. Montana, Marino and Elway played, a defensive player can barely breath on a quarterback anymore. ... While appearing on the NFL Network, Mike Pereira, the NFL's director of zebras, made it abundantly clear QBs will continue to be "protected.'' So, barring some unlikely cheap shot, the likelihood of Favre being subjected to any serious bodily harm is about as good as getting sunburn these days. It's amply apparent the NFL wants its money-makers to be on the field for as long as possible and there are few, if any, bigger money-makers for the league than Favre.

This is from Foxsports.

ND72
02-05-2007, 10:04 AM
I laugh whenever someone talks about the type of ankle surgery Favre is "supposed" to have. To remove a bone spur or bone chip.....it's like a 10-20 minute surgery, and he's walking on it in 3 days with no problems. I had a buddy have that done on a monday in HS, and played in our game on friday. It's NOT a serious surgery.

red
02-05-2007, 10:15 AM
PFT made a good point

the guy can't take pain killers

whats he suppose to do after the surgery?

Joemailman
02-05-2007, 10:17 AM
My gut feeling is Brett Favre is going to be playing for several more seasons as well, perhaps into his 40s. That may sound crazy, but the NFL has instituted some crazy rules that treat quarterbacks like deity. I call them the Favre Rules. Unlike when Messrs. Montana, Marino and Elway played, a defensive player can barely breath on a quarterback anymore. ... While appearing on the NFL Network, Mike Pereira, the NFL's director of zebras, made it abundantly clear QBs will continue to be "protected.'' So, barring some unlikely cheap shot, the likelihood of Favre being subjected to any serious bodily harm is about as good as getting sunburn these days. It's amply apparent the NFL wants its money-makers to be on the field for as long as possible and there are few, if any, bigger money-makers for the league than Favre.

This is from Foxsports.

This guy thinks that Montana, Marino and Elway weren't protected? The NFL has been protecting its elite QB's for a while now.

Partial
02-05-2007, 10:20 AM
PFT made a good point

He's Brett Favre. Pain runs away from him in fear!!

I would think they would just morphine him up in the hospital and keep him in there for a day or two, and by the third day I doubt he'd need them with how non-invasive surgeries can be these days and from what ND said.

Brando19
02-05-2007, 11:56 AM

This is from Foxsports.

This guy thinks that Montana, Marino and Elway weren't protected? The NFL has been protecting its elite QB's for a while now.

Excellent point.

Joemailman
02-05-2007, 12:04 PM
PFT made a good point

I've suspected that may have had something to do with his reluctance to have the surgery. Still, what's he gonna do? I can't believe he's gonna live the rest of his life with bone spurs in his ankle.

MadtownPacker
02-05-2007, 12:34 PM
Maybe the can make him stay awake for like 2 days then when he has the surgery he can sleep it off.

Brando19
02-05-2007, 01:04 PM
I say give the man his pain killers for a season...he took the Pack to the Super Bowl that year didn't he??? :wink:

Guiness
02-05-2007, 01:13 PM

Anyone remember 'in the grasp'. That was awful.

esoxx
02-05-2007, 01:23 PM
PFT made a good point

Take an aspirin and rub some dirt on it.