PDA

View Full Version : Indianapolis Public Schools Closed

AtownPackFan
02-05-2007, 09:27 AM
With the extremely cold tempatures around here today (wind chill in the -20s) most Indiana Schools are operating on a two hour delay and some up north are closed.

IPS is closed because too many bus drivers called in sick! I think they probably drank too much last night and there weren't enough sober drivers for this morning.

I wonder what the excuse would have been had the tempatures been something closer to normal for these parts at this time of year?

wist43
02-05-2007, 09:30 AM
A lot of schools around here are closed as well...

WHEN I WAS A KID WE WALKED 5 MILES TO SCHOOL AND BACK, UP HILL BOTH WAYS!!!!

Really, I can't ever remember cancelling school b/c of cold... snow, yes, but never b/c of cold. Generations get wimpier with every passing year!!!

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-05-2007, 09:32 AM

Really, I can't ever remember cancelling school b/c of cold... snow, yes, but never b/c of cold. Generations get wimpier with every passing year!!!

How did you go up hill both ways?

AtownPackFan
02-05-2007, 09:38 AM

Don't be confused, School is not closed because of the cold, it was almost as bad last week and they didn't even have a delay.

I think they needed to give everyone a couple more hours because of the Colts win. Rumor had it that IPS would be closed for a "Colts Day" if they won.

Partial
02-05-2007, 09:44 AM

Well, I can tell you as someone who walks outside a few miles each day, I wish they did close school today, because it is brutually cold, even with many layers on. It just burns your skin. My glasses froze over my breath hitting my scarf and going up to them. Completely froze over in a matter of minutes. Could not see a damn thing.

It is -13 before the windchill. It's probably 10 mph winds and it is just brutal. Probably between -20 and -30 at 7:30 when I was walking to class. That's damn cold.

Partial
02-05-2007, 09:45 AM

Don't be confused, School is not closed because of the cold, it was almost as bad last week and they didn't even have a delay.

I think they needed to give everyone a couple more hours because of the Colts win. Rumor had it that IPS would be closed for a "Colts Day" if they won.

Most of the school districts in Milw. cancelled school today. In the Journal-Sentinel, it says with todays temperatures, its a health hazard to be outside, and you can get frostbite by having exposed skin outside in as little as ten minutes.

Merlin
02-05-2007, 10:05 AM
It's -13 up here and with the wind chill it's -29. The schools are all closed.

There are three reasons they close schools up here because of the cold:

1) The Buses may not even start and if they do and one gets stranded, a parent will sue them for sure.

2) Students waiting outside for the bus could die and the parents would sue (even though it's the parents who are the idiots who let their kid satnd out in this stuff).

3) The schools boilers can't keep the temperature in the school warm enough without some kid bitching about how cold it is and a parent will sue.

Zool
02-05-2007, 11:24 AM
When I was in school, it was only closed once for the cold. 2 straight days the windchill was -70. 5 minutes to frostbite that year.

When i walked in to work today, it was -35 windchill. Good times. Why did I move back?

Partial
02-05-2007, 11:25 AM
When I was in school, it was only closed once for the cold. 2 straight days the windchill was -70. 5 minutes to frostbite that year.

When i walked in to work today, it was -35 windchill. Good times. Why did I move back?

That was when I was in like elemtary school. I remember that!!

LL2
02-05-2007, 11:37 AM
A lot of Chicagoland schools are closed too, but it has more to do with everyone being depressed.

But not me! :lol:

Little Whiskey
02-05-2007, 04:18 PM
sorry wist, even where i went to school, back in the day, they would close due to the cold.

MacCool606
02-05-2007, 04:23 PM
If the Pack was in the NFL Championship against the Dallas Cowboys today -would any of us turn down tickets to the game?

I didn't think so! deja view all over again