PDA

View Full Version : Coaching in NFL

Ballboy
02-05-2007, 11:29 AM
With what seems a almost done deal in Dallas with Norv Turner getting the job, it got me wondering.

Does anyone know any other coaching retreads that came back into coaching after posting bad records with prior team?

Shanahan did it in Dever, I'm not sure of his record in Oakland.
Billicheck did it in New England, I think he sucked in NYJ?

If a coach has it, he has it....Why would you hire a coach that coached prior with NO sucess?

Partial
02-05-2007, 11:30 AM
BB coached in Cleveland and stunk it up. I believe Saban was his DC then. He went onto join Parcells staffs, and eventually when Parcells stepped down from the Jets, they name him the HC, but he spurned them and went to NE is a very odd turn of events that day.

Zool
02-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Art Shell. He was good the first time around, not so much this time. Players make the coach. Coach make the player. It has to be a combination. Even Vince Allmighty himself couldn't win in Detroilet.

red
02-05-2007, 11:40 AM
i don't think old coaches the did well before can come in and have a lot of success in todays nfl. things have changed too much

the warden use to run the prison, now the inmates run the show

i don't even thing St. Vince would be as great in todays NFL. he was strict players now don't like that. they'd bitch and moan until he was fired. today you almost have to kiss the players asses, or at least the stars asses, if you want to stay around. you have to be their buddy. and old school coaches aren't wired that way

Guiness
02-05-2007, 01:00 PM
BB coached in Cleveland and stunk it up. I believe Saban was his DC then. He went onto join Parcells staffs, and eventually when Parcells stepped down from the Jets, they name him the HC, but he spurned them and went to NE is a very odd turn of events that day.

Actually, that was very strange the way it turned out. It was in his contract that if Parcells left, he automatically became the head coach. Parcells did leave, they made him HC and told him he had to take it! IIRC he sued them to get out of the contract.