PDA

View Full Version : Chris Mortensen: GB source confirms Favre wants Moss

motife
02-06-2007, 03:09 AM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday morning that "a Packers source confirmed" that Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre "has asked the team to seriously consider a trade for disgruntled wide receiver Randy Moss." Mortensen reported "a Raiders source" saying Raiders owner Al Davis "will only ask for a third-round pick and a receiver for a trade."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=561438

Iron Mike
02-06-2007, 06:18 AM
ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Sunday morning that "a Packers source confirmed" that Green Bay quarterback Brett Favre "has asked the team to seriously consider a trade for disgruntled wide receiver Randy Moss." Mortensen reported "a Raiders source" saying Raiders owner Al Davis "will only ask for a third-round pick and a receiver for a trade."

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=561438

Yes!!!!! Hopefully, Turd Ferguson is already packing his bags.......
http://www.thesharkshow.com/weblog/BurtReyn.jpg

BallHawk
02-06-2007, 07:06 AM
A 3rd rounder and Robert Ferguson.

I'd hit.

MadtownPacker
02-06-2007, 08:52 AM
For those that are concerned about Moss' character....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ricK5xOi-h0

prsnfoto
02-06-2007, 09:00 AM
I have no problem getting Moss if he restructures his contract but I find these reports funny because we all have heard TT say Brett has no say in personal so now that this has been leaked he looks like a puss if he does it. Course he did stand up several times and lie to us that there were no deadlines for Brett's decision and now we find out the SB was the deadline. All these guys have a future in politics.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Man you have pull the tigger on this one. A 3rd and Fergusion fof Moss, can't even be done on Madden. And the fans that hate Moss now, will be loving him at the end of the season I promise you. Can you imagine Favre to Moss, Driver, Jennings.

LL2
02-06-2007, 09:23 AM
I never have been much of a fan of Moss, for his attitude and most any player that plays for the purple penis chokers. Although, with Favre coming back I say why not? He could change his attitude and help us have an edge and a play maker we desperately need. I never cared for Corey Dillon when he was with the bengals, but all this time he's been with the Patriots he's been a total team player. I would hope it’s only for 1-2 years with Moss.

Partial
02-06-2007, 09:26 AM
I don't know that Ferguson counts as "a receiver". I feel like they'd be better off hitting the waiver wire and picking up someone more productive and half the price of ferguson. I'm thinking AD is gonna want Jennings or Driver. To that I say I will poop on his chest. No way do I give up either of those two.

MTPackerfan
02-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I'd give them Ferguson, no way on DD or Jennings. Maybe one of the new guys, Carlyle (sp), Martin. It would be great if we could peddle Ferguson with a third to get Moss. I have never really liked Moss but if the situation were right, why not.

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2007, 10:01 AM
Can you imagine Favre giving Moss the fireman's carry after a TD? That's just funny.

motife
02-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Getting Moss should make it a lot easier to pad Favre's stats in 2007.

Like Reggie Bush in New Orleans drawing the attention/focus of the defensive game planners regardless of Bush's actual performance, so would Moss. Teams would have to game plan around him more than they did in Oakland, with Favre being the QB. Would make the play action running game and everything else better.

BF4MVP
02-06-2007, 10:07 AM
we HAVE to get Moss..I don't care what it takes..A third and a receiver? Go for it..Driver is off limits, but I don't think Jennings is untouchable in this situation...

KYPack
02-06-2007, 10:10 AM
Four or five years ago, I'd be jumping up & down over this prospect.

Now, I really don't know. For one thing, how much does Moss have left? I can't say I saw the guy play at a high level all last year. You'd assume he'd have something left, but is it in an area that will help our team?

Moss was always Mr Vertical, but now he seems to be more of a hook inside reciever. We got a couple of guys like that, we need a burner. Moss' burner seems about out.

Ferg and a 3? Seems like a no brainer, but TT has shown he can do some damage with a 3rd round pick.

Go ahead and flame, but I'd rather cut Ferg, and give the 3rd to Thompson and see what he does with it.

red
02-06-2007, 10:11 AM
there is no way driver or jennings are being considered

drivers equal to a first round talent, and at worse jennings is still a second rounder

one of those two and the third rounder are almost what the raiders gave up for him, when he was the best in the game.

AD knows he killed moss's value by putting him with shit qb's

he'll be had for the third rounder and some crap

i went trolling the raiders boards yesterday, and most raiders fans think that just a 3rd rounder is more then enough for him

Patler
02-06-2007, 10:35 AM
GB might become known as a career rehabilitation stop for wayward receivers!

Andre Rison
Terry Glenn
Korean Robinson
Randy Moss ??

Packnut
02-06-2007, 10:58 AM
I've gone back and forth on this Moss thing. At first, I thought it was just an idle rumor, but it is picking up steam and just might be for real. If we can take advantage of Oakland like Denver did to us then TT should go for it.

If all they want is a 3 and Ferguson, or Holliday or Martin, then go for it. Moss would NEVER say or do anything to piss Brett off so his "attitude" is a non factor.

Moss has his pride and he knows what is being said about him. It is possible a motivated Moss coming back to the NFC North could do some damage with a good QB. There are also 2 huge benefits that need to be noted here. First, ANYTHING that will ease up the double coverage on DD is a major plus. 2nd, Jennings as a #3 WR would take the pressure off of him and give the kid a chance to learn. I like the thought of Jennings going up against the D's nickel back. He should win that battle 90% of the time.

Another possible benefit is IF Moss makes a difference, Favre comes back for 2008 when I expect us to make a run at a SB IF TT does his job.

As far as the down-side of this, Moss also has the ability to be a cancer but I think he knows this is his last chance. The other point made about what he has left in the tank is a valid question. As much as most of us hated him, the man had some serious talent. It would be hard to believe that talent has vanished.

PULL THE TRIGGER TT!

red
02-06-2007, 11:04 AM
i can't see any negatives here

we're only giving up a third round pick, you know tt will find a way to get more. and a guy who is going to be cut anyways

we get a guy thats highly motivated to produce

and a guy who has said its been his dream to play with favre

and this is the guys last real chance

if he acts up, we cet rid of him, with NO cap hit

all that for the chance to get a guy that was one of the elites in the game just a couple years ago, and could be an enormous help to this offense

mmmdk
02-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Favre is back - GET RANDY MOSS. Plus, I seriously doubt Raiders would take Fergy - Fergy is an expensive BUST. Maybe Martin or Holiday.

Favre needs weapons on offense and we only have DD and Green to some extend. Jennings is a bonafide # 3 WR and could be the # 2 guy when DD steps down. GB has no TE, none. We need playmakers and Moss is NOT over the hill.

MadtownPacker
02-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Moss was always Mr Vertical, but now he seems to be more of a hook inside reciever. We got a couple of guys like that, we need a burner. Moss' burner seems about out.
I saw some of the raider games last season and there where plenty of times when moss sped downfield waving for the ball only to see the QB gets sacked. He still has it and if put in the right situation will be deadly again.

Green Bay is the right situation.

mmmdk
02-06-2007, 11:28 AM
I saw some of the raider games last season and there where plenty of times when moss sped downfield waving for the ball only to see the QB gets sacked. He still has it and if put in the right situation will be deadly again.

Yup, listen to madtown - MOSS NOT DONE AT ALL. GET HIM OR FAVRE COMES BACK FOR NAUGHT.

Patler
02-06-2007, 11:28 AM
The thing that worries me about Moss is that we are only a few seasons removed from when the Vikings had to institute the "Randy Ratio" in order to maintain his interest in the game. With Driver on the other side, could GB meet the "Randy Ratio"???

Freak Out
02-06-2007, 11:30 AM
I have no problem getting Moss if he restructures his contract but I find these reports funny because we all have heard TT say Brett has no say in personal so now that this has been leaked he looks like a puss if he does it. Course he did stand up several times and lie to us that there were no deadlines for Brett's decision and now we find out the SB was the deadline. All these guys have a future in politics.

Where did you read this SB deadline stuff?
As far as Moss goes I only see Granny getting rid of Moss if he is really starting to be a problem. The Raiders are going to have a shot at a very good QB in the draft or they could make a run at Garcia. Garcia brings that team to 8-8 right off that bat and with that defense maybe better. I would love to see Moss come to GB and play with old #4 for a year but if it is going to cost us a high draft pick or a starter forget it. His contract is massive this year correct?

GoPackGo
02-06-2007, 11:33 AM
The thing that worries me about Moss is that we are only a few seasons removed from when the Vikings had to institute the "Randy Ratio" in order to maintain his interest in the game. With Driver on the other side, could GB meet the "Randy Ratio"???

I can't argue Moss isn't a great WR, but his baggage is to much. The Randy Ratio is the same as the T.O. Ratio in my opinion. I could see this Randy Moss thing working out while we still have Favre here to throw the laser guided bombs we all know he can throw. But what happens after Favre retires, and Randy Moss is still here? If Aaron Rogers struggles, Moss could Rip this team apart at the seams-ala T.O. in philly-

Zool
02-06-2007, 11:38 AM

I can't argue Moss isn't a great WR, but his baggage is to much. The Randy Ratio is the same as the T.O. Ratio in my opinion. I could see this Randy Moss thing working out while we still have Favre here to throw the laser guided bombs we all know he can throw. But what happens after Favre retires, and Randy Moss is still here? If Aaron Rogers struggles, Moss could Rip this team apart at the seams-ala T.O. in philly-This is where a reworked contract would come in to play. Give him his chunk up front.

MadtownPacker
02-06-2007, 11:45 AM
The thing that worries me about Moss is that we are only a few seasons removed from when the Vikings had to institute the "Randy Ratio" in order to maintain his interest in the game. With Driver on the other side, could GB meet the "Randy Ratio"???Dare I challenge Patler?? This is gonna end up like Al Harris (Patler) on a 4th string WR (me) but here goes..

In 2004 walker aned Driver both had 1000+ yds and a bunch of TDs between them. Favre haas always been excellent at spreading the ball to everyone so I dont see this hurting DDs production, in fact I see it increasing since he wont be triple covered every passing down.

Moss had his best seasons with chris carter opposite of him. Im sure DD could provide the same for Moss and likewise.

This deal goes down and the Super Bowl talk will begin.

KYPack
02-06-2007, 11:46 AM

I was wondering what you thought.

The game I saw him play was all turn-ins and turn-outs.

If he can go deep, it's a thinker. I don't think AD would take Ferg. Even Davis isn't that burned out. It would take Martin and a 3rd.

Shit, you'd almost have to take it at that price. If Moss is done, that would be a blow to our progress, ya know.

MadtownPacker
02-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Was that a late season game? If so by that point in the seaon the raiders realized their Oline sucked and the QB had no time to go downfield so they started dinking and dunking because that was the only way the could nove the ball.

red
02-06-2007, 11:52 AM

I can't argue Moss isn't a great WR, but his baggage is to much. The Randy Ratio is the same as the T.O. Ratio in my opinion. I could see this Randy Moss thing working out while we still have Favre here to throw the laser guided bombs we all know he can throw. But what happens after Favre retires, and Randy Moss is still here? If Aaron Rogers struggles, Moss could Rip this team apart at the seams-ala T.O. in philly-This is where a reworked contract would come in to play. Give him his chunk up front.

i disagree, i think

i don't know if i would want to do anything to his contract. unless its a roster bonus only

no signing bonus

we have the cap room to keep him at his current number and can cut him when we want with no strings attached

if this is favres last year, you can cut him after the season, or trade him and get your picks back

in one year with favre his trade value should go back up

Scott Campbell
02-06-2007, 11:52 AM
It would take Martin and a 3rd.

Yikes. I believe we need a TE even more than we need a burner WR. Or did you mean Ruvell instead of David?

woodbuck27
02-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm wondering if Al Davis reads the Packer fan forums ? We should be saying. . . no way can we loose RF.

After all. This will be his season to shine, don't YOU know? :)

I just read through this thread and I'm salivating at any reality of Randy Moss to us for just a third and who ??? Robert 'no show' Ferguson

That can't be, unless the Raiders are trying to dump salary to recover on their CAP number.

Anybody checking the Raider fan sites for verification?

MadtownPacker
02-06-2007, 12:00 PM
That can't be, unless the Raiders are trying to dump salary to recover on their CAP number.
From what I heard the raiders new coach tried to contact moss but moss didnt want to speak with him. he wants out, he likes Favre, and he would likely want to punish the vikings. Sounds good to me.

As for Fergie, make sure someone send Al Davis a highlight vid from the 4 & 26 game. Fergie was killing the eagles that day. Also the GB@SD game from that same season (2003).

Murphy37
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Moss in Green and Gold? Sure it's easy to get excited about the talent possibilities. But when I see these problem child players like Moss and T.O. I am always thankful that the negative media circus that follows these ass clowns isn't part of my beloved team. So yes the greedy side of me would like to see Moss going up and taking the ball away from defenders......but the sane part of me wants to vommit.

red
02-06-2007, 12:01 PM
I'm wondering if Al Davis reads the Packer fan forums ? We should be saying. . . no way can we loose RF.

I just read through this thread and I'm salivating at any reality of Randy Moss to us for just a third and who ??? Robert 'no show' Ferguson

oh, their fans want him gone. he's burned his bridges there. the last straw was him getting in a verbal fight over the phone with the new head coach

like i said before, most would be happy to just get a third for him.

and the team would save7 or 9 million dollars by trading him. they almost have to get rid of him. he won't play for them, he won't talk to them, and he counts 11.5 million against the cap this year

woodbuck27
02-06-2007, 12:07 PM
From what I heard the raiders new coach tried to contact moss but moss didnt want to speak with him. he wants out, he likes Favre, and he would likely want to punish the vikings. Sounds good to me.

As for Fergie, make sure someone send Al Davis a highlight vid from the 4 & 26 game. Fergie was killing the eagles that day. Also the GB@SD game from that same season (2003).

I believe we have pretty much given up on Robert 'F'.

A third round pick for Moss = a third and RF.

Ballboy
02-06-2007, 12:08 PM
This move would make sense, especially as reported that he only has two years left on his deal....Brett is playing one of those, if Brett retires in 08, then Roger makes Moss cry about QB, we only have to deal with it for one year.(who knows, maybe we can trade him mid-season for at least a 3rd or 4th round pick)

I really like the idea of DD, Moss and Jennings in a 3WR set with a single back. Atlanta and Denver both ran several versions of single back with 3WR which would spread the field, making the ZBS more effective.

Getting Moss would also "allow" TT to draft defense, maybe DL or DB/S which would hopefully solidify the D even more.

Side Note: Why, even if the Pack doesn't resign Green, do we have to draft a RB? What about Arliss Beach? He tore it up in preseason. We also got PJ Pope off the Bears practice squad, and living in Illinois he looked really good in preseason.

woodbuck27
02-06-2007, 12:12 PM

oh, their fans want him gone. he's burned his bridges there. the last straw was him getting in a verbal fight over the phone with the new head coach

like i said before, most would be happy to just get a third for him.

and the team would save7 or 9 million dollars by trading him. they almost have to get rid of him. he won't play for them, he won't talk to them, and he counts 11.5 million against the cap this year

Yup. Randy Moss will be moved somewhere for 2007.

Ted Thompson has to get 'the Raiders' to absorb some of the cost of his salary. Noway is he worth 11.5 $M$ in 2007.

There are some loose ends to be worked out.

Patler
02-06-2007, 12:16 PM
The thing that worries me about Moss is that we are only a few seasons removed from when the Vikings had to institute the "Randy Ratio" in order to maintain his interest in the game. With Driver on the other side, could GB meet the "Randy Ratio"???Dare I challenge Patler?? This is gonna end up like Al Harris (Patler) on a 4th string WR (me) but here goes..

In 2004 walker aned Driver both had 1000+ yds and a bunch of TDs between them. Favre haas always been excellent at spreading the ball to everyone so I dont see this hurting DDs production, in fact I see it increasing since he wont be triple covered every passing down.

Moss had his best seasons with chris carter opposite of him. Im sure DD could provide the same for Moss and likewise.

I wasn't arguing that we can't satisfy Moss, because I don't know what it takes to satisfy him. The "Randy Ratio" as I recall was some ridiculously high percentage of offensive plays. Rastak, are you out there?

Moss was best when Carter was there, but Moss was young and respected Carter at the time. He became more assertive, and more abrasive when Carter was no longer keeping his thumb on him. I also wonder if Moss would respect Driver? I don't know, but Moss should not expect to come to GB and be "THE MAN".

I would hope GB doesn't repeat the 2004 numbers with just two receivers again. Ferguson was the third WR in catches with 24 that year, and Chatman had 22. I hope Jennings can be in the 40-50 range as the 3rd WR, and that the TEs get more involved. Finally, I hope the Packers throw less and run more than in 2004. The didn't this year, but MM keeps arguing for balance. In 2004 it was 598/441 in the pass/run ratio. If you balance that out more, there could be 75 fewer passing attempts and 50 fewer receptions to divide up.

Could GB keep Moss interested enough to run out his plays, even as a decoy? I don't know.

Patler
02-06-2007, 12:21 PM
I found this:

To that end, they are planning on throwing 40 percent of their passes to him. Tice calls this the Randy Ratio. Former Vikings receiver Leo Lewis, now the team's director of player development, will stand on the sideline and chart how many passes are thrown to and caught by Moss, so Tice always will be aware of it.

woodbuck27
02-06-2007, 12:31 PM

I wasn't arguing that we can't satisfy Moss, because I don't know what it takes to satisfy him. The "Randy Ratio" as I recall was some ridiculously high percentage of offensive plays. Rastak, are you out there?

Moss was best when Carter was there, but Moss was young and respected Carter at the time. He became more assertive, and more abrasive when Carter was no longer keeping his thumb on him. I also wonder if Moss would respect Driver? I don't know, but Moss should not expect to come to GB and be "THE MAN".

I would hope GB doesn't repeat the 2004 numbers with just two receivers again. Ferguson was the third WR in catches with 24 that year, and Chatman had 22. I hope Jennings can be in the 40-50 range as the 3rd WR, and that the TEs get more involved. Finally, I hope the Packers throw less and run more than in 2004. The didn't this year, but MM keeps arguing for balance. In 2004 it was 598/441 in the pass/run ratio. If you balance that out more, there could be 75 fewer passing attempts and 50 fewer receptions to divide up.

Could GB keep Moss interested enough to run out his plays, even as a decoy? I don't know.

Favre will be gunning for 4000 yards in 2007; so there will be plenty pass's up for grabs.

Packnut
02-06-2007, 12:32 PM
A lot of good points made both for and against. I don't think that any of us including myself would claim that there is no risk. I would even agree that it could turn out bad.

However, the +'s for out-weigh the negatives which makes this trade a good football move. It's no secret Moss respects Brett and would want to play with him. That will make the difference.

For those against this move, consider this. Now I know a lot of "ifs" are involved but what if:

1- TT signs a solid FA saftey to replace Manuel.
2-TT signs either Graham or Johnson at TE
3- our young players take a step up. (logical considering they now have a year of playing experience)
4-By getting a motivated Moss, TT now can take the best RB available at #16.

If the above happens, no reason why we could'nt make a run this season.

KYPack
02-06-2007, 12:33 PM

Yikes. I believe we need a TE even more than we need a burner WR. Or did you mean Ruvell instead of David?

Ruvell Martin is the WR, right?

Keep the back-up QB.
Keep Donald Lee and trade Ruvell Martin and a 3rd fior Moss.

OK, I believe it, lets do it!

Packnut
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM

Ruvell Martin is the WR, right?

Keep the back-up QB.
Keep Donald Lee and trade Ruvell Martin and a 3rd fior Moss.

OK, I believe it, lets do it!

Alrighty then, can you please make the call to Ted and tell him to GET ER DONE!

woodbuck27
02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
A lot of good points made both for and against. I don't think that any of us including myself would claim that there is no risk. I would even agree that it could turn out bad.

However, the +'s for out-weigh the negatives which makes this trade a good football move. It's no secret Moss respects Brett and would want to play with him. That will make the difference.

For those against this move, consider this. Now I know a lot of "ifs" are involved but what if:

1- TT signs a solid FA saftey to replace Manuel.
2-TT signs either Graham or Johnson at TE
3- our young players take a step up. (logical considering they now have a year of playing experience)
4-By getting a motivated Moss, TT now can take the best RB available at #16.

If the above happens, no reason why we could'nt make a run this season.

Realistically I feel that we arn't all that far away.

I entirely agree on TT going after someone at TE like D.Graham.There may be options in the second round of the draft, but TT should exercise all efforts, to get the ticket here in FA.

A second priority is to shore up the defensive secondary with a new look at the strong safety position. Marquand Manuel is at best on the bench for us to start 2007. I hope that TT will admit he's not the answer.

We need more pressure on the QB fr. the right DE position. This should be explored and solved.

I believe that Ted Thompson should also ink Ahman Green for another Bonus incentive contract. He'll be in the second season after that serious injury and better in 2007 and also OUR OL should improve. We do need a RB that can catch the ball better as a quick checkdown option.Green has to do that.

Freak Out
02-06-2007, 01:22 PM

Favre will be gunning for 4000 yards in 2007; so there will be plenty pass's up for grabs.

I don't buy that for a minute. If the Packers are winning running the ball Favre will be happy just like he was when the Brain had the best O-line and Green was just ripping it up. I have to think Moss might feel the same way. Winning changes everything and I think Moss would be just fine winning a SB but not having All-Pro numbers. But maybe not. :shock:

motife
02-06-2007, 01:43 PM
Moss in Green and Gold? Sure it's easy to get excited about the talent possibilities. But when I see these problem child players like Moss and T.O. I am always thankful that the negative media circus that follows these ass clowns isn't part of my beloved team. So yes the greedy side of me would like to see Moss going up and taking the ball away from defenders......but the sane part of me wants to vommit.

Moss is more sane than T.O.

woodbuck27
02-06-2007, 01:51 PM

I don't buy that for a minute. If the Packers are winning running the ball Favre will be happy just like he was when the Brain had the best O-line and Green was just ripping it up. I have to think Moss might feel the same way. Winning changes everything and I think Moss would be just fine winning a SB but not having All-Pro numbers. But maybe not. :shock:

** I don't mean it will be all about 4000 yards.I mean that 4000 yards looks like a real possibility with the likes of DD, Moss and Greg Jennings (and I hope that) Ruvell Martin gets a second season in the Green and Gold.

Ruvell Martin showed me that he was a real team player last season.He has good height and showed that he can go up and fight for the ball.

Do we really need Randy Moss?

** I know that Brett Favre would be happier, having to throw the ball closer to 35 times per game and using the long pass as a real weapon again, as it was when we had Javon Walker in the fold.

retailguy
02-06-2007, 01:59 PM
The best thing that ever happened to Randy Moss was TO. If not for TO, Moss would be viewed as the biggest idiot in the NFL.

I don't think this happens because I think Al Davis makes Randy suffer. He did it with Marcus Allen. He did it and continues to do it with Jerry Porter.
Moss is likely going nowhere after that phone call. Been all quiet in Raiderland since that call. You don't diss Davis and get away with it.

And, those of you advocating Ferguson.... Where do you come up with this stuff? Just because YOU see it as fair value? What idiot in their right mind trades a candy bar for Ferguson? Isn't happening... Stick to Madden.

Scott Campbell
02-06-2007, 02:05 PM
What idiot in their right mind trades a candy bar for Ferguson?

If only Shermy was a GM somewhere.

:P

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2007, 02:09 PM

I live in the Twin Cities, so I'll chime in. The whole "Randy Ratio" was made up by Tice as Red McCombs wanted to hire a coach that was going to commit publicly to using the team's #1 player and marketing aspect. It was all about getting people to keep coming to games for Red (and thus more $ for him). Tice (who frankly is an outstanding OL coach) wanted to be a HC, so put this out there to satisfy Red and the fans who were screaming for it. It wasn't Randy who asked for this, it was put upon him.

I think there is enough veteran leadership on the team to keep Moss in check. There essentially was none in MN when Carter left. Driver is an excellent WR and frankly a great role model for hard work for Moss that may very well rub off on him.

It would be a waste to have him as a decoy. Get him involved and he'll keep his mouth shut and produce. That is one of the problems with how he was used in Oakland. How productive would any professional athlete be if all they were told was "You run down the field and just occupy 2 defenders so that we can run the offense through the other WR's." It's an insult to players with the ability to demand that much defensive attention to just make them decoys with the occasional ball thrown their way.

I don't think you are saying just to make him a decoy, but just wanted to dismiss the decoy argument right away.

oregonpackfan
02-06-2007, 02:14 PM
There are just 3 absolutes in life:

1. death

2. taxes

3. Randy Moss should never play for the Green Bay Packers

OPF

Patler
02-06-2007, 02:24 PM
It would be a waste to have him as a decoy. Get him involved and he'll keep his mouth shut and produce. That is one of the problems with how he was used in Oakland. How productive would any professional athlete be if all they were told was "You run down the field and just occupy 2 defenders so that we can run the offense through the other WR's." It's an insult to players with the ability to demand that much defensive attention to just make them decoys with the occasional ball thrown their way.

I don't think you are saying just to make him a decoy, but just wanted to dismiss the decoy argument right away.

Well, he certainly isn't going to be the primary target on every play, and on draws or delays he has to make it look like a passing play, so yes, there will be times when he has to make it look like a play involving him when it won't be. He has had a MAJOR problem with this in the past, at times, even when he was in MN and was the primary receiver they had..

Fritz
02-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Four or five years ago, I'd be jumping up & down over this prospect.

Now, I really don't know. For one thing, how much does Moss have left? I can't say I saw the guy play at a high level all last year. You'd assume he'd have something left, but is it in an area that will help our team?

Ferg and a 3? Seems like a no brainer, but TT has shown he can do some damage with a 3rd round pick.

Go ahead and flame, but I'd rather cut Ferg, and give the 3rd to Thompson and see what he does with it.

This is where I stand. No Mo Moss. TT can pick up a long term starter instead of an over the hill bad-character wideout. NO!

vince
02-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I think that this is a no-brainer if it's true. Moss for a 3rd and Fergie? Where do we sign? I would have little doubt this would be a done deal if that's the case. We just wait for March 2 (I think that's the first day trades can be made?)

Ted'll just trade down in the 2nd to get the guy he targeted the whole time and pick up a third in the draft (and get the guy he targeted) anyway....

If it takes more than that though, it's not such a no-brainer, and I don't think TT would pull the trigger.

The biggest downside to Moss, IMO, isn't his attitude. It's the combination of his age and pricetag.

But again, I think if the rumor of a 3rd and a receiver is true - this is a done deal. This would be a bigger heist than What's-his-name (my mind's blocked him out) for a second last year...

Randy Moss can go up and get the deep ball better than anyone in the league, including what's-his-name - if he wants to. He'd have ample motivation to play his ass off as a Packer... Great fans, a lot to prove, play against his former team twice a year, Brett Favre, highly competitive team, etc., etc., etc.

Cheesehead Craig
02-06-2007, 02:41 PM

Well, he certainly isn't going to be the primary target on every play, and on draws or delays he has to make it look like a passing play, so yes, there will be times when he has to make it look like a play involving him when it won't be. He has had a MAJOR problem with this in the past, at times, even when he was in MN and was the primary receiver they had..'
Well, of course he won't be the primary every play, it's just that in Oakland, he was used primarily as a decoy and that is a waste of his talent. That was what I was aruging against. Sorry for any confusion.

SudsMcBucky
02-06-2007, 03:19 PM
The other point made about what he has left in the tank is a valid question.

Actually, with all the plays he took off in MN and the time he sat last year, he should have PLENTY in his tank. :D

Partial
02-06-2007, 03:26 PM
If all it costs is a third and a receiver, don't you think some team will step up to the plate with a second?

Patler
02-06-2007, 03:27 PM
The other point made about what he has left in the tank is a valid question.

Actually, with all the plays he took off in MN and the time he sat last year, he should have PLENTY in his tank. :D

Good Point! In 9 seasons of play he has expended, what, maybe 6 seasons worth of effort? He should just be hitting his prime!

BTW - Moss turns 30 one week from today. Driver turned 32 last Friday.

esoxx
02-06-2007, 03:43 PM
What is worth noting is Moss has been remarkably injury free during his career. It's not like the guy had a bad knee injury a few years ago that has caused him to "lose a step."

It's my view that his decline has been motiviational in a bad offense and losing team in Oakland. Bad QB's. It has less to do with his physical skills.

I'm sure he would be re-energized playing in the NFC North with Favre and getting the chance at the Vikings twice a year.

Charles Woodson
02-06-2007, 03:57 PM
What is worth noting is Moss has been remarkably injury free during his career. It's not like the guy had a bad knee injury a few years ago that has caused him to "lose a step."

It's my view that his decline has been motiviational in a bad offense and losing team in Oakland. Bad QB's. It has less to do with his physical skills.

I'm sure he would be re-energized playing in the NFC North with Favre and getting the chance at the Vikings twice a year.

lets face it Andrew Walters is no Daunte Cullpepper. The only reason why moss has't performed is because of the QB situation and the crappy coach. If he stays this yearr it could get interesting espically if they take Jamarcus Russell. I dont think that if the draft Russll that moss will be leaving oakland. I mean with Jamarcus then moss should be able to perform better. But if they go the other route with Calvin Johnson then thats a sure sign that Moss will be out of there in ethier this or next year.

vince
02-06-2007, 04:07 PM
If all it costs is a third and a receiver, don't you think some team will step up to the plate with a second?
Maybe. Maybe not. It does seem cheap to me too, but I'm not sure I'd step up with much more than a 3rd and Fergie... for an aging WR with a high cap figure and an attitude...

I don't think I'd give up a 3rd and Jennings...

If he were three years younger, he'd never be available for that - that's for sure.

The market may be relatively limited for him...at least that's what I'm hoping for.

It would have to be a team that thinks it can contend next year - that needs a WR...

Cowboys? Doubt it. The Vikes? Doubt it. Seattle? Doubt it. Washington? Maybe. San Diego? Maybe. Bears? Doubt it. Giants? Maybe.

We'll see.

Scott Campbell
02-06-2007, 04:31 PM

Agreed. You would have the same situation at WR as you do at CB. I think Jennings can produce for a long time in this league when healthy because of the way he runs routes.

Packnut
02-06-2007, 05:01 PM
[quote="vince"]

But again, I think if the rumor of a 3rd and a receiver is true - this is a done deal. This would be a bigger heist than What's-his-name (my mind's blocked him out) for a second last year...

Ah, let me help ya remember. His name is Javon Walker. You remember him don't ya? He's the guy who won a few games with Denver last season and made some huge plays.........

HarveyWallbangers
02-06-2007, 05:19 PM
I think the whole Randy plays when he wants to play is a little overblown. Yes, he isn't one to give maximum effort all the time. However, if he respects the QB and the team is decent, it's different with him. Also, this is a guy who went deep on more patterns than most WRs. It would be hard to expect a guy who ran as many vertical routes as him not to have to take some plays off or come off the field at times. You'd have to be an Olympic marathoner to run as many vertical routes as he did running at full speed. I look at his effort blocking--which was mostly high at Minnesota--and I see a guy who probably gives more effort and cares more than people think. I do think he can be cancerous if you have a crappy team. I would just hope that he'd be rejuvenated playing for the Packers next year... hopefully winning. It definitely would be a pick up that could go either way, but could really help the team if they are solid. Unlike TO, I don't think he's somebody that would be a guarantee to be a cancer on the team.

red
02-06-2007, 05:31 PM
the guy wants to win, he's uber competitive.

he hates losing. usually when you hear him bitching or whatnots its because of a loss

i don't see him being the cancer TO is. TO is motivated by money and fame, and he'll do and say whatever he can to get those things. winning is far from his mind

one guy demands trades for more money.

the other guy wants out because his last team screwed him over by sending him to the worst franchise in the nfl (ok ok, 2nd worse to the lions). he needs to win and wants to go where he can win, and if he can light up the old team that screwed him twice a year, thats a nice bonus

Joemailman
02-06-2007, 06:13 PM
[quote=vince]

Ah, let me help ya remember. His name is Javon Walker. You remember him don't ya? He's the guy who won a few games with Denver last season and made some huge plays.........

:beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat: :beat:

Partial
02-06-2007, 06:34 PM
Maybe. Maybe not. It does seem cheap to me too, but I'm not sure I'd step up with much more than a 3rd and Fergie... for an aging WR with a high cap figure and an attitude...

If he were three years younger, he'd never be available for that - that's for sure.

The market may be relatively limited for him...at least that's what I'm hoping for.

It would have to be a team that thinks it can contend next year - that needs a WR...

Cowboys? Doubt it. The Vikes? Doubt it. Seattle? Doubt it. Washington? Maybe. San Diego? Maybe. Bears? Doubt it. Giants? Maybe.

We'll see.

I could legitimately see Dallas and Seattle making a run at him. I was also thinking San Diego.

b bulldog
02-06-2007, 07:22 PM
HOF talent for a scrub WR and a third rounder???? Seriously???

red
02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
i'm thinking the bears grab him, in an attempt to get over the hump

after they get jeff garcia of course

the queens are out, no way he goes back there. the cowboys already have the TO problem that they have to fix. and they already have two very good wr's if they keep TO

can san diego afford him? they have a good team, they have to be closer to the cap then we are.

remember, randy will have some say in this. when this thing first started to leak he gave 3 teams, one being green bay saying he wants to play with favre. if the raiders try to trade him to somewhere he doesn't want. he could make it very difficult. don't trade for me, i won't play for you

him being a stubborn asshole could be really good for us here. he could tie the raiders hand and force them into taken a worse offer by scaring away everyone else

lets hope moss and favre are becoming good buddies right now

red
02-06-2007, 07:37 PM

value went way down. the supporting cast and the system were unable to use him. making him look pedestrian.

if you buy a million dollar house, and let the yard and pool and driveway all go to hell, don't pay the heating bill so all the pipes blow up causing water damage everywhere, never clean it up, and have animals running around pissing and shitting everywhere. you wouldn't get your million dollars back when you go to sell it a year later. even though that million dollar house probably just needs a new owner to turn it back around

Chevelle2
02-06-2007, 07:54 PM

value went way down. the supporting cast and the system were unable to use him. making him look pedestrian.

if you buy a million dollar house, and let the yard and pool and driveway all go to hell, don't pay the heating bill so all the pipes blow up causing water damage everywhere, never clean it up, and have animals running around pissing and shitting everywhere. you wouldn't get your million dollars back when you go to sell it a year later. even though that million dollar house probably just needs a new owner to turn it back around

laghed out loud reading this. haha!! 8)

Iron Mike
02-06-2007, 09:07 PM

laughed out loud reading this. haha!! 8)

Welcome to Packer Rats, Chevelle2..........it took you almost SIX MONTHS to make your first post????? 8)

red
02-06-2007, 09:12 PM
i'm honored that the first post was to laugh at my little analogy

BallHawk
02-06-2007, 09:16 PM
i'm honored that the first post was to laugh at my little analogy

Quite possibly the most clever analogy I've seen in years.

b bulldog
02-06-2007, 09:43 PM
I was being sarcastic but I could see someone like Kansas City looking at him also.

KYPack
02-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Was that a late season game? If so by that point in the seaon the raiders realized their Oline sucked and the QB had no time to go downfield so they started dinking and dunking because that was the only way the could nove the ball.

Dec 10 against the Bengals.

Moss only caught a couple balls & appeared to be a shadow of his former self.

He ran one route deep and was open, but there was NO way the Raider QB had the time to deliver the ball. Moss was pretty disgusted and just rounded the route to the bench. At the bench, Moss went into his pout act. Not a big display, but he showed attitude.

I really don't know how much the guy has left or where his head is at.

BF4MVP
02-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Nice post.

Trading for Moss is just such a no-brainer, it's unbelievable..Whether you like him or not, the guy is a Hall of Famer who if he came here would be catching passes from another Hall of Famer, and he's the vertical threat that this team has lacked since 2004..In fact, a motivated, productive Moss (which is what he could be playing with Brett) is much better than Javon Walker ever was..We need a playmaker at wide receiver? There aren't any better than Moss available, and it's not close..Moss in Minnesota pretty much defined the term "playmaker" and would have done so in Oakland if he had a quarterback who could throw him the damn ball...The fact that we are talking about being able to get him for a third rounder and Martin/Fergie/Holiday should have every single Packer fan hoping that TT pulls the trigger..I can't understand why any Packer fan would be opposed to a move like this..If the Raiders are willing to trade him to us for that price, it should be the easiest personnel decision that TT will ever have to make during his tenure here, and Packer fans should be jumping up and down..Even if he didn't pan out (which I think he would), it's not like we would be giving up a lot to get him..TT would probably trade down and end up with an extra third rounder on draft day anyways....

BF4MVP
02-06-2007, 11:32 PM
Here's a column in support of trading for Moss

Mike Vandermause column: Packers should consider trading for Moss

The vision of Randy Moss pretending to moon Green Bay Packers fans at Lambeau Field during a Minnesota Vikings’ playoff victory two years ago is hard to forget.

That’s why reaction to rumors that Moss could be traded to the Packers has been decidedly mixed.

Moss is a five-time Pro Bowl wide receiver capable of filling the offensive playmaker role the Packers so desperately need. But with his extraordinary skill comes potential baggage, which is something the Packers must ponder long and hard.

At first glance, the thought of Moss wearing a Packers’ uniform seems far-fetched. His demeanor and attitude don’t appear to be a good fit in Green Bay.

But stranger things have happened. Who would have predicted in 1996 that often misunderstood receiver Andre Rison would become an integral part of the Packers team that marched to a Super Bowl title?

During his short tenure here, Rison had no trouble fitting into a small-town environment. Winning tends to dissolve problems and shrink egos.

Who’s to say Moss couldn’t come to Green Bay and become the bona fide deep threat Brett Favre has been longing for? Moss would be a perfect complement to Pro Bowl receiver Donald Driver. Moss and Driver would form the most dynamic receiving tandem Favre has seen, and opposing defenses would be severely tested.

Favre and Moss at one time had the same agent, Bus Cook. The players reportedly share a mutual respect. There can be no doubt Favre would love the opportunity to throw to Moss.

For that to become a reality, numerous obstacles must be cleared.

It’s no secret Moss’ team, the Oakland Raiders, have been shopping him around. Moss had a disastrous two-year stint in Oakland. With no decent quarterback to throw him the ball and playing on an abysmal 2-14 club, Moss caught just 42 passes for 553 yards last year.

Some say he quit on his team. Others suggest the Raiders quit on him.

His less-than-stellar 2006 season has made Moss both available and affordable. The Raiders gave up a first-round draft pick (No. 7 overall), seventh-round pick and linebacker Napoleon Harris for Moss in March 2005. The asking price should be much less this time around.

The best guess is it would take a second-round draft pick to get Moss, who will turn 30 next week.

Packers General Manager Ted Thompson made it clear he made no promises to Favre about bolstering the offense. Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy are adamant that no player - even Favre - will dictate how they rebuild the team.
Thompson would rather stockpile draft picks than give them away, which makes a trade less likely.

There also is Moss’ 2007 base salary of more than $9 million to consider. The Packers have enough room under the salary cap and could restructure the terms of the deal, but the sometimes-temperamental Moss wouldn’t come cheap.

However, it’s rare when a special player like Moss is available. Assuming the trade terms are reasonable, the Packers should take a risk on a legitimate difference-maker.

Fans will have to forgive Moss for his past antics. But that’s a small price to pay to acquire someone who can ignite the offense and elevate the Packers into a contending team.

Fritz
02-07-2007, 06:55 AM
If Moss is still so good why are posters making excuses for his poor performance last year and his crummy attitude.

Ugh. No Moss.

Bretsky
02-07-2007, 07:31 AM
If Moss is still so good why are posters making excuses for his poor performance last year and his crummy attitude.

Ugh. No Moss.

Is it debateable to say he had sh@t throwing to him ? The excuses IMO need not go any further than that fact.

Bretsky
02-07-2007, 07:31 AM

Ugh. No Moss.

Is it debateable to say he had sh@t throwing to him ? The excuses IMO need not go any further than that fact.

BallHawk
02-07-2007, 07:34 AM
Regarding his morale, I think going from Andrew Walter to Brett Favre is going to have a positive effect on your mindset, regardless of how wacky you may be.

Partial
02-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Anyone else think this thread gets massive over the next month of speculation?

Zool
02-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Anyone remember when massive meant cool?

RAD!

Brando19
02-07-2007, 10:26 AM
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070207/PKR07/702070558/1989&located=FLASH

No doubt Moss respects Favre. With a good QB..which Oakland obviously hasn't had...Moss would once again be a top WR in this league.

red
02-07-2007, 11:48 AM
is mooning really a bad thing?

many people hate him just for the fact that he FAKE mooned the fans

but is that horrible, or is it a sign of disrespect?

i have seen a ton of folks from wisconsin drop their pants and flash their ass. never once have i seen it done during a fight or between one person that doesn't like another. everytime i've seen it, it has been for fun. something done between friends to get a laugh

its not like he flashed his ass and shoved some kids face into it, or took a giant dump on the G at midfield. he didn't score and flip off the crowd. he didn't grab his crotch and yell to the fans to "suck it".

the reason packer fans hate it is because he just scored a TD to hurt us, and that jackass anouncer made such a huge deal out of it. i missed the fake moon when it first happened and i thought for sure he showed his bare ass to the crowd after listening to theat idiot go on and on about it. it wasn't until after the game that i saw a highlight. and i laughed my ass off

i never once saw it as a sign of disrestect, i saw it as him joking around with the rival crowd. i saw nothing wrong with it, and think a lot of other folks should grow up and quit blowing little tiny things way out of proportion

its like we're in third grade. you're offended my someone fake mooning you?

get over it

Packnut
02-07-2007, 12:06 PM
is monning really a bad thing?

i have seen a ton of folks from wisconsin drop their pants and flash their ass. never once have i seen it done during a fight or between one person that doesn't like another. everytime i've seen it, it has been for fun. something done between friends to get a laugh

its not like he flashed his ass and shoved some kids face into it, or took a giant dump on the G at midfield. he didn't score and flip off the crowd. he didn't grab his crotch and yell to the fans to "suck it"

the reason packer fans hate it is because he just scored a TD to hurt us, and that jackass anouncer made such a huge deal out of it. i missed the fake moon when it first happened and i thought for sure he showed his bare ass to the crowd after listening to theat idiot go on and on about it. it wasn't until after the game that i saw a highlight. and i laughed my ass off

i never once saw it as a sign of disrestect, i saw it as him joking around with the rival crowd. i saw nothing wrong with it, and think a lot of other folks should grow up and quit blowing little tiny things way out of proportion

get over it

Yep, the TD hurt much more than the dumb stuff.

Partial
02-07-2007, 12:18 PM

RAD!

I'll give you something massive and cool :face_todd:

Hey zool, hows your penis?!?

swede
02-07-2007, 04:08 PM

RAD!

I'll give you something massive and cool :face_todd:

Hey zool, hows your penis?!?

Remember our days of wandering in the desert following the LJ debacle at JSO and we all had to hang out at the Christian website and the mods would edit words like penis out of our posts.

Those were weird times.

BF4MVP
02-07-2007, 04:11 PM
rotf..We couldn't say "run through a hole" because it would change it to "run through ding dong" :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fritz
02-07-2007, 04:18 PM
is mooning really a bad thing?

its not like he flashed his ass and shoved some kids face into it, or took a giant dump on the G at midfield. he didn't score and flip off the crowd. he didn't grab his crotch and yell to the fans to "suck it".

get over it

Actually, that would be funny to see, in a sick sort of way. Imagine having the bowel control to be able to call one up at the appropriate moment. Impressive.

TopHat
02-08-2007, 03:02 PM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=347

On the Sidelines by JA Packerchatters.com

...The Packers are considering offering a 3rd round pick
and Bubba Franks to the Raiders for Randy Moss. But
Raiders owner Al Davis wants to meet with Moss to see
if anything can be done to work out the disgruntled WR
issues with the team.

Justin Smith's name keeps coming up when I speak to my
Packers sources). What would this mean for Cullen
Jenkins (who is asking for a deal around $9 million)?

I was told the Packers don't have any interest in
Jeremy Stephens and are lukewarm on Daniel Graham.
Itula Mili is a name that the Packers have some
interest in though, since they can draft a TE and Mili
could start until the rookie is ready....

packers11
02-08-2007, 03:07 PM
goodbye bubba :)

Partial
02-08-2007, 03:31 PM
That would make my day, but I still don't believe it.

GBRulz
02-08-2007, 03:37 PM
"sweeten" the deal up for them... Give them Bubba AND Fergy!!

Joemailman
02-08-2007, 03:40 PM
The only downside to Bubba being part of the trade is that the Packers would absorb a 3 mil salary cap hit because of his signing bonus. If TT decides he really wants Moss though, I suspect he'll do it anyway.

BallHawk
02-08-2007, 05:09 PM
Packerchatters, over the recent past, has lost a lot of credibility. They just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

Kinda like Nostradamus when you think about it...

KYPack
02-08-2007, 05:47 PM
"sweeten" the deal up for them... Give them Bubba AND Fergy!!

How 'bout Bubba, Ferg, and th drunken janitor they found passed out in the john,

IOW, let's get rid of the trash and give ol' Moss a try.

BooHoo
02-08-2007, 05:51 PM
Throw in a popcorn guy and we would probably have a deal. :)

SD GB fan
02-08-2007, 07:36 PM
isnt mili the blocking TE for SEA? how does that open the receiving game for us?

BallHawk
02-08-2007, 07:43 PM
isnt mili the blocking TE for SEA? how does that open the receiving game for us?

Put it this way, over the last two seasons he's only played in 12 games with only 10 catches, 69 yards and 0 TDs. His career high in TDs is 4. He's aging and is a shell of what he used to be. We're better of with what we have now.

Fritz
02-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Packerchatters, over the recent past, has lost a lot of credibility. They just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

I agree. There's constant mention of "inside sources" but it ends up 99% of the time being garbage.

red
02-10-2007, 12:49 PM

I agree. There's constant mention of "inside sources" but it ends up 99% of the time being garbage.

one of the last straws for me over there, was during the period, where like you said, everyone and their mother all of a sudden had an inside source.

one kid, during the lavar arrington visit. came in and said his "source" spotted arrington at applebees or someplace

i lashed out that he didn't have a source, he had a mom or dad or a frind that saw lavar. an example of someone trying to make it look like they knew the right people

BallHawk
02-10-2007, 03:51 PM
Fritz, is it possible that you could edit the topic to include a poll so we could see where the majority of the forum stands?

BF4MVP
02-10-2007, 04:24 PM
It should be a few hundred to zero in favor of trading for Moss..I can't believe anyone is actually opposed to giving Favre a guy like Moss to throw to..I don't care if he's not a "Packer Person." If a guy can help you win football games (and believe me, he would) then you bring him in...

GrnBay007
02-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Fritz, is it possible that you could edit the topic to include a poll so we could see where the majority of the forum stands?

There currently is a poll on the Home page on this subject.

Right now the voting is 17 in favor of bringing him in, 1 no, and 1 don't care.

retailguy
02-10-2007, 04:38 PM
i lashed out that he didn't have a source, he had a mom or dad or a frind that saw lavar. an example of someone trying to make it look like they knew the right people

Why does this not surprise me? :wink:

I wanna meet the guy who knows Favre's maid.... LOL.

All this speculation is just that, speculation. I'm convinced that TT doesn't know yet what he's doing. So how can anyone else?

red
02-10-2007, 05:00 PM

Why does this not surprise me? :wink:

I wanna meet the guy who knows Favre's maid.... LOL.

All this speculation is just that, speculation. I'm convinced that TT doesn't know yet what he's doing. So how can anyone else?

you do kinda wonder

this started a few weeks ago when moss wanted out, and named GB as a possible team, saying he wanted to play with favre. then the MJS picks up a story where favre asked for the offense to be upgraded, THEY said maybe he wants something like moss.

then the next day you have people saying favre wants moss. then you have people saying the teams are talking and all it would take is a 3rd rounder and a WR.

is this just like the old game of telephone. where one source says favre might want someone like moss, and it ends up as the two sides are talking?