PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: PHILLIPS NEW COWBOYS COACH

TopHat
02-08-2007, 01:00 AM
ESPN Sources: Cowboys to name Phillips new head coach

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2758164

Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells ... Cowboys fans have been waiting for the next big name to lead a storied franchise. They might be surprised by the answer. League and Cowboys sources have told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips will be named Dallas' head coach. Phillips traveled from San Diego to Dallas on Wednesday night after being told that he was their choice to replace the now-retired Parcells. Wade Phillips, who currently is the defensive coordinator for the San Diego Chargers, is 48-39 as an NFL head coach, but 0-3 in the playoffs. While contract details must still be worked out and a contract signed, a formal team announcement for Phillips could come as early as Thursday....

KYPack
02-08-2007, 07:41 AM
That gets Jones his 3-4 dude, but sheesh.

Wade Phillips ain't exactly the most exciting guy.

JJ always looks for that media splash. This time, looks to me like Jones opted for control.

Joemailman
02-08-2007, 08:04 AM
Hard to imagine Wade Phillips and T.O. together.

MacCool606
02-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Also reading that Ron Rivera is Jones first choice for Def. Coordinator. 1) Isn't he under contract with the Bears? 2) Jones professes his love for the 3-4 Def. - Don't the Bears use a 4 - 3? 3) Why would a HC want the owner picking his staff? My co-worker said it and I agree - JJ is trying hard to turn the Cowboys into the Raiders.

K-town
02-08-2007, 08:19 AM
My co-worker said it and I agree - JJ is trying hard to turn the Cowboys into the Raiders.

And it couldn't happen to a nicer, more deserving team, and their fans. :glug:

motife
02-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Norv Turner showed a lot of balls when he said Jason Garret wasn't prepared to be an offensive co-ordinator. It's hard to see how that could lead to a productive working environment.

The Cowboys primary focus needs to be to develop Tony Romo as a QB.

Bill Parcells had become a little frustrated with Romo's freelancing late in the season.

Zool
02-08-2007, 08:38 AM
There's just no excuse for trotting out the same old retread coaches just because they have experience. Either higher a top coordinator or to the college ranks.

Dallas fans must be pissed.

motife
02-08-2007, 08:54 AM
On 1310 the ticket from Dallas they have a fake "Jerry Jones" who they interview occasionally.

This morning he says, "I think Wade Phillips gives the Dallas Cowboys the best chance to tread water for another five years, and for his radio interview shows to kill y'all's radio ratings."

esoxx
02-08-2007, 08:56 AM
This Week's Sign the Apocolypse is Upon Us:

Wade Phillips hired as Dallas Cowboys Head Coach

BF4MVP
02-08-2007, 09:01 AM
Kinda steppin on my thread's toes, huh tophat? :lol:

Although mine was posted just 5 minutes before yours, so I think I can forgive you 8)

prsnfoto
02-08-2007, 09:45 AM
Title should be Dallas' next fall guy. He is just taken up space til Jones boy Garrett is ready.

MadScientist
02-08-2007, 12:06 PM
I'd have to say this is the best news since Brett said he's coming back.

With the mess at top and TO on the field the 'Girls should go no better than 7-9, one less team for the Pack to beat for the wildcard.

TopHat
02-08-2007, 02:50 PM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=347

On the Sideline by JA Packerchatters.com

...We really shouldn't be surprised by the Cowboys hiring of Wade Phillips. He runs a 3-4 defense and the move also will allow Jason Garrett full control of the offense, something he wouldn't have if Norv Turner was hired.

Look for the Cowboys to hire Ron Rivera as the DC in 2 weeks. Jerry Jones will make him the highest paid DC if need be....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Partial
02-08-2007, 03:01 PM
http://www.packerchatters.com/op-ed/view.php?id=347

On the Sideline by JA Packerchatters.com

...We really shouldn't be surprised by the Cowboys hiring of Wade Phillips. He runs a 3-4 defense and the move also will allow Jason Garrett full control of the offense, something he wouldn't have if Norv Turner was hired.

Look for the Cowboys to hire Ron Rivera as the DC in 2 weeks. Jerry Jones will make him the highest paid DC if need be....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Rivera is a cover 2 coach. Why would they bring him in when they have their 3-4 coach in place?

TopHat
02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
I cannot say, but for fyi. JA, an insider, says it is on the table. You decide how much can be read into it.

ESPN is having a field day about it...is this a joke, yawns, best they can do?

Also, see what he says about Moss possibility...Packers are interested, and a side comment about Jenkins etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

AtlPackFan
02-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Do any of you think that Wade is around one year and then maybe Jerry makes a run at Cowher???

oregonpackfan
02-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Hard to imagine Wade Phillips and T.O. together.

How long do you think T.O. aka "Coachkiller" will need before Wade Phillips is sent packing?

OPF

motife
02-08-2007, 07:11 PM
Do any of you think that Wade is around one year and then maybe Jerry makes a run at Cowher???

Call me stupid, but I'd prefer Jeff Fisher over Cowher.

Partial
02-08-2007, 07:35 PM

Call me stupid, but I'd prefer Jeff Fisher over Cowher.

I prefer Jeff Fisher over just about any coach in the league. I'm right with you.

digitaldean
02-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Wade Phillips. I suppose Leeman Bennett, Marion Campbell and Dave Campo were unavailable?

Cowher, Pete Carroll or Garrett will take over in a year or two from Wade Yes-man, errr, Phillips.

Boy this REALLY ought to get the Dallas fans all revved up. A has-been, retread with no wins in 3 or 4 playoff appearances would get me all excited. :roll:

This whole season could be as big a fiasco as last year in Big D.

Jerry Jones is showing how to really run a team (into the ground). :wink:

Joemailman
02-08-2007, 11:04 PM
+--------------+----------+
| Reg. Season | Playoffs |
+----------+--------------+----------+
| Year TM | W L T | W L |
| 1985 nor | 1 3 0 | 0 0 |
| 1993 den | 9 7 0 | 0 1 |
| 1994 den | 7 9 0 | 0 0 |
| 1998 buf | 10 6 0 | 0 1 |
| 1999 buf | 11 5 0 | 0 1 |
| 2000 buf | 8 8 0 | 0 0 |
| 2003 atl | 2 1 0 | 0 0 |
| TOTALS | 48 39 0 | 0 3 |

Wade Phillips' coaching record. Not terrible, but not anything to get excited about either. Especially his playoff record.

Fritz
02-09-2007, 07:27 AM
Man, does Wade Phillips have pics of every owner in the league having sex with animals or something? He keeps getting interviews and jobs when he's clearly not a top-tier coach. Dang.