PDA

View Full Version : Pure speculation??

b bulldog
02-08-2007, 05:21 PM
The Packers are considering offering a third round pick and Bubba Franks for Moss. Cullen Jenkins wants a deal in the area of $9 million but supposedly have interest in Justin Smith. The Packers will draft a TE and would like to sign Itula Mili, who will groom the rookie until he starts. Most of this is probably BS. I think I'd take the gamble and keep developing jenkins and pass on Smith.

Scott Campbell
02-08-2007, 05:45 PM
The Packers are considering offering a third round pick and Bubba Franks for Moss. Cullen Jenkins wants a deal in the area of $9 million but supposedly have interest in Justin Smith. The Packers will draft a TE and would like to sign Itula Mili, who will groom the rookie until he starts. Most of this is probably BS. I think I'd take the gamble and keep developing jenkins and pass on Smith.

I like the idea of getting rid of Bubba and his overinflated salary. But I think this would accelerate the remainder of his signing bonus. No matter - we've got room.

red
02-08-2007, 06:00 PM
we do have planty of room, so the cap hit shouldn't bother us

i'd kinda hate to see bubba go, he had a horrible year, but he's a damn good guy

HarveyWallbangers
02-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Cullen Jenkins wants a deal in the area of $9 million

What does this mean? $9M signing/roster bonus? $9M total? $9M/year? He ain't getting $9M/year. If somebody is putting that rumor out, they are nuts. He's a restricted FA--which takes away a lot of his bargaining power.

b bulldog
02-08-2007, 06:40 PM
It didn't say but I would gather it would be the bonus.

DannoMac21
02-08-2007, 06:42 PM
You got all these rumors from Arrigo, and no, they're not B.S.

He works in radio in California, and posts rumors all the time, and a lot of the time he's correct. He was dead on with Woodson and Arrington, reporting a week before it was actually announced that Woodson would sign here, and reported a week before Arrington's decision, that we did offer Arrington more $, but Arrington wanted to be a Giant to play the 'Skins two times a year.

He's also said some true facts recently too. Yesterday he posted the Vikings may be trading for Larry Fitzgerald, and just today it was on kffl.

There was also a fan from Oakland who heard the same Franks + #3 rumor on his station over in Oakland.

red
02-08-2007, 06:48 PM
You got all these rumors from Arrigo, and no, they're not B.S.

He works in radio in California, and posts rumors all the time, and a lot of the time he's correct. He was dead on with Woodson and Arrington, reporting a week before it was actually announced that Woodson would sign here, and reported a week before Arrington's decision, that we did offer Arrington more $, but Arrington wanted to be a Giant to play the 'Skins two times a year.

He's also said some true facts recently too. Yesterday he posted the Vikings may be trading for Larry Fitzgerald, and just today it was on kffl.

There was also a fan from Oakland who heard the same Franks + #3 rumor on his station over in Oakland.

he also was the first to say the packers might be after moss, if i'm not mistaken

arrigo's alright.he tells what he hears, i don't think he makes any of it up, unlike others on that site. but like i've said before. he'll be the first to tell you that the info he gets might not always be accurate, and even if it is, that doesn't mean anything is going to happen

b bulldog
02-08-2007, 06:48 PM
The reason why I don't put more into him than I do is because he said Owens would be a Packer last season. He has been correct on somethings but way off on others. It does make for an interesting read.

His stuff is posted on WarRoomDraftGuide.com in the rumors area. I would recommend reading it everyday.

MadtownPacker
02-08-2007, 06:59 PM
His stuff is posted on WarRoomDraftGuide.com in the rumors area. I would recommend reading it everyday.
Why dont you just be a homie and post it for us? :idea:

b bulldog
02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I'll post it every day, no problem.

b bulldog
02-08-2007, 07:13 PM
I'll post it every day, no problem. It will be under Pure Speculation and each day will have a new Topic so nobody misses it.

Partial
02-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Cullen Jenkins wants a deal in the area of $9 million

What does this mean? $9M signing/roster bonus? $9M total? $9M/year? He ain't getting $9M/year. If somebody is putting that rumor out, they are nuts. He's a restricted FA--which takes away a lot of his bargaining power.

3 years 9 million? He hasn't even started a full season yet.

The Shadow
02-08-2007, 09:13 PM
The Packers will sign Jenkins, and not for 9 million dollars.

b bulldog
02-08-2007, 09:16 PM
Jenkins will get more than one would think he would get. He is looked at quite highly among scouts and if he isn't tendered high enough, he will be gone.

red
02-08-2007, 09:31 PM
i think its a 9 million dollar bonus, thats the only number that matters anymore

that would be scary, if he busts out we would have a hard time cutting him. like kgb. and like i said before, we're basing this contract on only a couple games. but if we don't pay the money, someone else will

BobDobbs
02-09-2007, 01:28 AM
The thing about Jenkins is that he isn't the one trick pony that KGB is. He can play the run and he can provide pass rush from inside and out. I kinda doubt he'll ever produce the number of sacks that KGB would. But, he could really turn out to be a very good player. And even if he flattens out I think he would be consistent.

PackerPro42
02-09-2007, 06:44 AM
The thing about Jenkins is he a RFA. Due to that fact, there is a maximum that you can place on that player, and then other teams are allowed to bid on that player for whatever they want plus some form of draft picks. If someone goes over you bid, then you can bid what ever you want to that player. Because of this, Jenkins doesn't have much bargaining power.

Fritz
02-09-2007, 07:21 AM
Jenkins's situation will be interesting in that we get to see what TT is thinking when he tenders Jenkins. There are new tender rules that allow _ I think - tenders that require 2nd round compensation. That's where I believe Jenkins should be tendered, but I bet TT tenders him on the cheap and will risk someone offering a sky high contract. GM's often seem to tender guys at a lower value than we, the fans, think the player is worth.

wist43
02-09-2007, 07:22 AM
I could see giving Jenkins 3yr/$3 mil per... Which, with today's cap numbers, is not an exorbitant salary for a young guy with upside.

If he stays healthy, and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't - viewing last year as an anomaly; and, even then he was still more productive than KGB.

He's young, and equally effective at end or tackle... He's exactly the type of player that you extend b/4 he becomes unrestricted.

prsnfoto
02-09-2007, 08:47 AM
I read somewhere it was a 4 year 9-10 million I think Patler or someone posted last week what he would get at the middle tender and it wasn't much a little over a million he may just be a Packer Guy and figure security and double the amount is enough ala Al Harris(course we know how he feels now.) The tenders rarely don't work because no is going to risk a #1 especially on a guy who has only started 4 games, that being said I hope we sign him he has shown way more upside than KGB has shown of anything the last three years.

Cheesehead Craig
02-09-2007, 09:25 AM
I could see giving Jenkins 3yr/$3 mil per... Which, with today's cap numbers, is not an exorbitant salary for a young guy with upside.

If he stays healthy, and I don't see any reason why he wouldn't - viewing last year as an anomaly; and, even then he was still more productive than KGB.

He's young, and equally effective at end or tackle... He's exactly the type of player that you extend b/4 he becomes unrestricted.
Agree completely on this. Well said Wist.

MadtownPacker
02-09-2007, 12:01 PM
The thing about Jenkins is that he isn't the one trick pony that KGB is. He can play the run and he can provide pass rush from inside and out. I kinda doubt he'll ever produce the number of sacks that KGB would. But, he could really turn out to be a very good player. And even if he flattens out I think he would be consistent.

...and that there folks is the reason why Jenkins is a must-keep player. The boy is thick and aint gonna get pushed around like KGB. He is also hungry and has a high standard with his brother being a ProBowl player. The team gave him his shot and now he is panning out bigtime. I have no doubt TT will be keeping Jenkins in G&G.

HarveyWallbangers
02-09-2007, 04:45 PM
If the Packers think Jenkins is for real, I could see him getting upwards of $4M/year. It's hard for me to tell. I don't get paid to make that decision. If they aren't sure, they'll likely tender him and see if he'll sign something more equitable.

Fritz
02-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Problem is, you're investing big money in a guy who did well for four games. That's quite a risk.

Patler
02-10-2007, 11:32 AM
The Packers don't have to risk a long term big dollar contract on Jenkins. They can offer a one year tender that will keep everyone away. They can then see if he really does fit the role they have for him.

From the CBA:

For Restricted Free Agents with three Accrued Seasons:

(1) Right of First Refusal: one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $721,600 for the 2006 League Year, $850,000 for the 2007 League Year, $927,000 for the 2008 League Year, $1,010,000 for the 2009 League Year, $1,101,000 for the 2010 League Year, $1,200,000 for the 2011 League Year, or $1,308,000 for the 2012 League Year, as applicable;

(2) Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at Player’s Original Draft Round: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) the amount set forth in Subsection (b)(i)(1) above, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged (this Subsection is subject to the rules of Subsection (c) below);

(3) Right of First Refusal, One Second Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $1,300,000 in the 2007 League Year, $1,417,000 in the 2008 League Year, $1,545,000 in the 2009 League Year, $1,684,000 in the 2010 League Year, $1,835,000 in the 2011 League Year, or $2,000,000 in the 2012 League Year, as applicable, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged;

(4) Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $1,573,000 for the 2006 League Year, $1,850,000 for the 2007 League Year, $2,017,000 for the 2008 League Year, $2,198,000 for the 2009 League Year, $2,396,000 for the 2010 League Year, $2,611,000 for the 2011 League Year, or $2,846,000 for the 2012 League Year, as applicable, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged

(5) Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $2,096,600 for the 2006 League Year, $2,350,000 for the 2007 League Year, $2,562,000 for the 2008 League Year, $2,792,000 for the 2009 League Year, $3,043,000 for the 2010 League Year, $3,317,000 for the 2011 League Year, or $3,616,000 for the 2012 League Year, as applicable, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged;

Obviously, option 2 is out of consideration because Jenkins wasn't drafted. For Jenkins, it is no different than Option 1. Option 1 almost guarantees that he will get an offer from someone; however, in any of the options the Packers are guaranteed to keep him at a price set by another team. Option 5 mostly guarantees no one will make an offer, who would give a 1st and a 3rd for him? I doubt anyone would give just a 1st round pick (Option 4). The most "iffy" is Option 3, second round compensation. That might be where he is tendered.

Partial
02-10-2007, 12:58 PM
I hope they learn from KGB and sign him early. Offer him a lot of money in roster bonuses and incentives, but give him enough of a signing bonus to get him to sign.

Bretsky
02-10-2007, 01:01 PM
The Packers don't have to risk a long term big dollar contract on Jenkins. They can offer a one year tender that will keep everyone away. They can then see if he really does fit the role they have for him.

From the CBA:

For Restricted Free Agents with three Accrued Seasons:

(1) Right of First Refusal: one year Player Contract with Paragraph 5 Salary of at least $721,600 for the 2006 League Year, $850,000 for the 2007 League Year, $927,000 for the 2008 League Year, $1,010,000 for the 2009 League Year, $1,101,000 for the 2010 League Year, $1,200,000 for the 2011 League Year, or $1,308,000 for the 2012 League Year, as applicable;

(2) Right of First Refusal and Draft Selection at Player’s Original Draft Round: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) the amount set forth in Subsection (b)(i)(1) above, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged (this Subsection is subject to the rules of Subsection (c) below);

(3) Right of First Refusal, One Second Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $1,300,000 in the 2007 League Year, $1,417,000 in the 2008 League Year, $1,545,000 in the 2009 League Year, $1,684,000 in the 2010 League Year, $1,835,000 in the 2011 League Year, or $2,000,000 in the 2012 League Year, as applicable, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged;

(4) Right of First Refusal and One First Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $1,573,000 for the 2006 League Year, $1,850,000 for the 2007 League Year, $2,017,000 for the 2008 League Year, $2,198,000 for the 2009 League Year, $2,396,000 for the 2010 League Year, $2,611,000 for the 2011 League Year, or $2,846,000 for the 2012 League Year, as applicable, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged

(5) Right of First Refusal, One First Round Draft Selection, and One Third Round Draft Selection: one year Player Contract with a Paragraph 5 Salary of at least (a) $2,096,600 for the 2006 League Year, $2,350,000 for the 2007 League Year, $2,562,000 for the 2008 League Year, $2,792,000 for the 2009 League Year, $3,043,000 for the 2010 League Year, $3,317,000 for the 2011 League Year, or $3,616,000 for the 2012 League Year, as applicable, or (b) 110% of the player’s prior year’s Paragraph 5 Salary, whichever is greater; in addition, if option (b) applies, all other terms of the player’s prior year contract are carried forward unchanged;

Obviously, option 2 is out of consideration because Jenkins wasn't drafted. For Jenkins, it is no different than Option 1. Option 1 almost guarantees that he will get an offer from someone; however, in any of the options the Packers are guaranteed to keep him at a price set by another team. Option 5 mostly guarantees no one will make an offer, who would give a 1st and a 3rd for him? I doubt anyone would give just a 1st round pick (Option 4). The most "iffy" is Option 3, second round compensation. That might be where he is tendered.

With their salary cap situation it would be stupid to do anything less than #4 IMO

Fritz
02-10-2007, 01:03 PM
I say option three. That way you don't have someone like Minny try to artificially drive up the price if you simply get to match an offer but get no compensation if you don't.

Bretsky
02-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I say option three. That way you don't have someone like Minny try to artificially drive up the price if you simply get to match an offer but get no compensation if you don't.

Somebody might do that if you go for #3. He's far more valuable to GB than a second round pick. Want to see KGB back starting ?

For an extra 500G, when we know TT will have plenty of space under the cap, I'd at least do #4

Fritz
02-10-2007, 01:07 PM
Bretsky, I'll disagree. Second round picks are seen as extremely valuable. I doubt many if any GM's would give up a second round pick for a guy who played well for four games at a new position.

Bretsky
02-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Bretsky, I'll disagree. Second round picks are seen as extremely valuable. I doubt many if any GM's would give up a second round pick for a guy who played well for four games at a new position.

McGinn wrote a while back that Jenkins was thought of very highly by a few scouts breaking down Jenkins and some of our DL. Think one of the better teams like the Colts wouldn't give up a 2nd for a solid DT/DE option. Heck yes they would. Losing him for a late 2nd would be a bad mistake.

esoxx
02-10-2007, 02:03 PM
If I were Indy or Chicago, someone picking at the back end of the round, I'd take Jenkins. The guy's got enough experience now where he knows what it takes to play in the NFL and is on the rise. Be well worth a late 2nd. Most of these young players it takes a while to figure it out so you're also getting a guy that's ready and young.

RashanGary
02-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I have a feeling that no matter what happens we'll be pretty happy. Option 3 looks to be quite beneficial to the Packers.

Partial
02-10-2007, 05:08 PM
B and E are correct. Jenkins needs a 1st and 3rd salary.

Patler
02-10-2007, 07:06 PM
If some one is willing to give GB a 1st round pick for Jenkins, they should take it as quickly as they can, before the other team comes to their senses.

Partial
02-10-2007, 07:32 PM
If some one is willing to give GB a 1st round pick for Jenkins, they should take it as quickly as they can, before the other team comes to their senses.

Bottom of the first probably won't net a player as productive as Jenkins.

Patler
02-10-2007, 07:54 PM
The Packers have been tryin to make Jenkins a starter for two years, albeit at tackle. He has shown flashes in the past, but could not hold down the starting position. At the end of November, no one on here would have cared if Jenkins stayed or left. He had four games at the end of the season in which, overall he played better than KGB. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

The reason I say to take a first rounder if someone will give it up is because there is still a bit of "overpopulation" on the D-line anyway. When they talked of replacing KGB as the starter, most assumed it would be with Cory Williams, who has played DE in the past for the Packers. The could move him there now. Jolly looks like he has potential, Cole is still around, Kendrick Allen could be kept and/or another DT drafted. With Williams at DE they wouldn't be much different than with Jenkins. In fact, Williams might be better than Jenkins at DE. With those guys around, I would take a 1st for Jenkins without hesitation.

HarveyWallbangers
02-10-2007, 07:59 PM
The Packers have been tryin to make Jenkins a starter for two years, albeit at tackle. He has shown flashes in the past, but could not hold down the starting position. At the end of November, no one on here would have cared if Jenkins stayed or left. He had four games at the end of the season in which, overall he played better than KGB. I wouldn't get too excited just yet.

I think this is an overstatement. Jenkins has played pretty well as part of the DT rotation for the last couple of years. I wouldn't say no one would have cared if he left. I think he's been a solid player, and I've stated that I felt like our DL wasn't as bad as some experts make it seem--partly because of guys like Jenkins and Williams.

I agree though that there's no way anybody thinks about giving up a 1st for him. End of the second round? Longshot, but I could possibly see that.

Patler
02-10-2007, 09:35 PM

I think this is an overstatement. Jenkins has played pretty well as part of the DT rotation for the last couple of years. I wouldn't say no one would have cared if he left. I think he's been a solid player, and I've stated that I felt like our DL wasn't as bad as some experts make it seem--partly because of guys like Jenkins and Williams.

I agree though that there's no way anybody thinks about giving up a 1st for him. End of the second round? Longshot, but I could possibly see that.

It was an overstatement, to remind everyone that before December Jenkins was just another one of the D-linemen. In training camp, some were ready to make Cole an All-pro based on a few good games he had last year. I brought up the topic of which DT should be traded at the end of training camp, since they seemingly had too many. No one seemed to care too much which it would be.

I have always preferred Williams over the others (not including Pickett), thinking he provided the best combination of size, strength and speed. But if someone affered a 1st round pick for him, I would jump on it. The Packers have had a bunch of guys offering different things, the sum of which was OK, but there are enough of them that they could get rid of one and not miss him much, especially now that Jolly has shown some ability too. Cole, I think plays better when he plays more than he did this past season. I think the line would be OK with Williams at end, and Jolly, Cole, Allen and ??? at tackle with Pickett. Williams could move inside on passing downs, with KGB at end.

I would really not like to see the Packers invest a lot of money in a long term deal for Jenkins. I have no problem with tendering him at the first round level for 2007. Its only a couple million for one year. Then, they can see what he really is worth as a DE before committing to him on a long term basis. I would like to see more than just games against SF, Det, MN and Chicago.

motife
02-11-2007, 08:46 AM
here's some further "pure speculation" on Moss :

packerchatters :
I was told that the Packers had a long discussion during a personnel meeting (Ted Thompson with his scouts and coaches) about Randy Moss and whether or not he could fit in Green Bay and be the type of player coach Mike McCarthy envisions (a difference maker). Well, I was told that the answer was a resounding yes and the Packers will make a run at obtaining the talented yet troubled Wide Receiver, as long as the price tag is right.

profootballtalk :

FAVRE'S PAST WORDS PUT MOSS RUMORS INTO CONTEXT

When we addressed last Sunday the rumors linking Raiders receiver Randy Moss to the Packers, we mentioned that we recalled a negative reaction for Packers quarterback Brett Favre to Randy's "I play when I wanna play" comments from November 2001.

Here's what Favre told Freeman in response to the the Moss admission of lollygagging.

"I was sitting there getting taped, and he popped into my thoughts and I don't know why," Favre said. "I guess because we don't have anyone on our team like that in terms of what seems to be a poor attitude and work ethic. And don't get me wrong. There is no one in this league who puts fear in people more than Randy Moss. I think what players around the league like me who read some of his comments get upset about is that he can dominate any one game but I don't know if he has what it takes mentally to dominate all the time.

"If I was Randy I would feel bad about what I said," Favre added, "because he was given a lot of money to be a professional and his comments are not something a true professional would ever say. . . . I'm sure I'm speaking for a lot of players when I say this, that what he said doesn't just make him look bad, it makes players in general look bad. Some fans may think other players feel the same way he does, and that couldn't be further from the truth.

"I don't know Randy, but at some point in the future he'll regret what he said. If he doesn't, he's not a smart guy."

Favre also explained what would have happened if Moss had made such comments as a member of the Packers: "Our veterans would step up and take care of the problem. It wouldn't happen on this team. On this team there are no individuals, no selfish players, and if they become that way, they're gone. Every team in this league has a superstar. Some have five and some have 10. But the great franchises that have been successful, including this one, they pull for each other.

"He's a great player, but the only way to be great, play after play and game after game, and be a great team player, is to constantly work hard. That's the key."

Five years later, Moss is far worse than he was in 2001 when it comes to selfishness and pouting and not playing hard all the time, if ever. It could be a product of his unhappiness with the fact that his current team isn't winning games and he isn't making highlight-reel touchdown catches.

But there's no guarantee that he would regain in Green Bay the form that made him one of the best receivers in the league for the first seven years of his career. And if he doesn't, he could quickly revert to his turdish ways.

Sure, he might be all smiles and good attitude when coming through the door -- just like he was in Oakland two years ago. Before long, however, Moss could be showing his ass to the same fans that he pretended to moon during a playoff game after the 2004 season, if he isn't the focal point of Favre's fastballs.

Bottom line -- he's not worth the risk, especially since it appears that he has lost a lot of the magic that he used to be able to display.

When he wanted to.

red
02-11-2007, 09:34 AM
spoken like a true queens fan in fear of facing him twice a year with a decent qb

woodbuck27
02-11-2007, 10:21 AM
The reason why I don't put more into him than I do is because he said Owens would be a Packer last season. He has been correct on somethings but way off on others. It does make for an interesting read.

" His stuff is posted on WarRoomDraftGuide.com in the rumors area. I would recommend reading it everyday. " b bulldog

Great. May we have the link please. :)

motife
02-11-2007, 11:22 AM
http://warroomdraftguide.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=47ee05de09aadac51bb8b5b5d9221145

is this the link you mean?

for an example of "pure speculation" which is also nuts, read his 2/9/07 entry.

Why would the Packers, who just drafted A.J. Hawk with the 5th pick in the draft, also spending a high pick on Abdul Hodge, are committed to developing Brady Poppinga, and are negotiating a contract extension with Nick Barnett, be interested in a washed up Donnie Edwards??

other speculation that is dubious :

the Packers interested in Eric Steinbach, FA guard? They're developing Colledge, Spitz and Moll at the position and weren't willing to pay FA money for their own guards, Wahle and Rivera.

Ron Rivera to Dallas? The Cowboys longtime DC Mike Zimmer just left for Atlanta, and it was acknowledged by both sides that Zimmer was hamstrung by Parcells running a 3-4 which Zimmer does not like. Rivera also is a 4-3 guy. Additionally, in his press conference, Wade Phillips said he's not going to make the same mistake he did in Denver, by not taking full control of the defense. I doubt potential head coach Rivera will feel comfortable going to a team where he'd be Sherm Lewis Jr., not have full control, and be forced to run a scheme he wasn't brought up with.

Larry Fitzgerald to the Vikings? The guy is a tremendous talent, the Cardinals would be nuts to trade him for even a high draft pick, leaving aside the cap hit of trading a player in the 3rd year of his rookie contract. I hear Fitzgerald, who grew up in Minneapolis and was Denny Green's ball boy, is pissed that the Cardinals fired him, but come on.

HarveyWallbangers
02-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Not sure how credible this is. Found it on RotoWorld. The source was profootballtalk.com

Green Bay will reportedly be one of the first teams to contact free agent Adalius Thomas if Baltimore doesn't slap him with the franchise tag.
It's still up in the air whether the Ravens will do so, and they have until Feb. 22 to decide. If the Packers land Thomas, likely to the tune of roughly three years, $15 million with the bulk of the money guaranteed, Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila will probably be a cap casualty. Thomas would play mostly with his hand down opposite fellow Pro Bowler Aaron Kampman.

motife
02-11-2007, 05:17 PM
Adalius Donquail Thomas (born July 18, 1977 in Equality, Alabama) is a starting Outside Linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens.

College career
Adalius Thomas attended the University of Southern Mississippi, where he was a prolific defensive player. In college he wore #97. In the 1998-99 season, Thomas was a First Team All-American and tied for Defensive Player of the Year. Thomas was also the MVP of the 1999 Liberty Bowl. The 2000 Senior Bowl was Thomas's final college game.

Professional career
Adalius Thomas was predicted as a third round draft pick in the 2000 NFL Draft. However, Thomas was not drafted until the sixth round (pick 186) by the Baltimore Ravens, for whom he wears #96. Many NFL scouts were shocked by his late drafting.

Nonetheless, Thomas was slow to make an impact for the Ravens great defense. Competing with two outstanding defenders in Peter Boulware and Michael McCrary, he made 89 tackles in his first three years.

However, in the 2003 season Thomas' superb special teams play was noticed and he received his first Pro Bowl nod as a starter on special teams. He registered 34 tackles (23 of them on special teams) 8 passes defended, 4 sacks and a forced fumble.

Until the 2004 season, he remained a back-up linebacker. Beside that fact, he began to shine despite the adversity and was put into games more frequently. In that season, he amassed 72 tackles, 4 forced fumbles, 5 passes defended, an interception and 8 sacks.

Thomas's finest year to date came in the 2005 season. With Peter Boulware relegated to a strict pass-rusher, Thomas was named the starting Left Outside Linebacker. He accumulated 84 total tackles and 9 sacks, his prowess on the field was soon felt. In the absence of Ray Lewis, Thomas had to step up as the leader of the Ravens Squad. In the '05 season, Thomas became the first ever player to play 5 defensive positions (DE, OLB, MLB, Safety, and CB) in not one game, but three.

Despite leading the league in defensive touchdowns (3), Thomas did not receive any votes for defensive player of the year in 2005, as well as not being voted for the Pro Bowl. Thomas finally got recognition in 2006, where he helped a Ravens defense that was ranked #1 overall, and finished 13-3 getting the #2 seed in the playoffs (ultimately losing to the Colts). He also earned his 2nd Pro Bowl bid to the 2007 Pro Bowl. In the game he returned a Marc Bulger fumble for a touchdown.

Player Stats
Thomas is 6'2", 276 lbs. A 6 year pro, Adalius has recorded 288 tackles and 27.5 sacks.