PDA

View Full Version : Donnie Edwards

packers11
02-09-2007, 11:32 AM
What do you guys think about him??? The chargers have said they aren't going to retain him because if salary costs... I think he would make a good SLB and a big upgrade over Poppinga... Since I think Briggs is going to get the deal of his life, and might be franchised he is to expensive to go after especially not being on the field full time (mainly 3 lb's aka the 4-3 are used on KNOWN running plays) the rest of the time the nickel (2 lb) or dime (1 lb) is out playing...

So what are your thoughts on Donnie Edwards??? Should the pack take a look at him???

Partial
02-09-2007, 11:47 AM
He's old now, but used to be a baller.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-09-2007, 11:49 AM
Nah, to old and would cost to much.

MadtownPacker
02-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Would he really cost that much? I think this would be a good short term move.

GoPackGo
02-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Donnie Edwards is a good vet that we should pick up. We need to add veterans to mix in with the young talent or we'll never get anywhere in the playoffs

Fritz
02-09-2007, 12:53 PM
If this team were one or two players from the Super Bowl I'd say yes, but they aren't so keep the young guys on the field and keep drafting 'em.

Freak Out
02-09-2007, 01:17 PM
The Packers current situation dictates a negative response to the question.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-09-2007, 01:43 PM
Would he really cost that much? I think this would be a good short term move.

I think he would. Every year the guy gets at least 100 tackles and about 3-5 sacks. He is very consisent and even though he's old, I bet he's looking for his last big pay day. As the first post says, the chargers can't afford to keep him.

MadtownPacker
02-09-2007, 01:45 PM
If this team were one or two players from the Super Bowl I'd say yes, but they aren't so keep the young guys on the field and keep drafting 'em.Who's to say they arent? Today's NFL is set up so that last years bottomfeeder can be a contender in one season. The Pack almost got in this past season so they are hardly a bottomfeeder. Now the rooks, mainly the OL, are more seasoned and NFL ready so I can see them getting in the playoffs and once you get in who knows what can happen.

Especially if Moss is brought in!!

MadtownPacker
02-09-2007, 01:47 PM
I think he would. Every year he guy gets a least 100 tackles and about 3-5 sacks. He is very consisent and even though he's old, I bet he's looking for his last big pay day. As the first post says, the chargers can't afford to keep him.Then he actually fits the Pack's $$ situation well since TT would want to get the $$$ paid early in the contract and Edwards wouldnt want to play 5 years anyways.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-09-2007, 01:54 PM
I think he would. Every year he guy gets a least 100 tackles and about 3-5 sacks. He is very consisent and even though he's old, I bet he's looking for his last big pay day. As the first post says, the chargers can't afford to keep him.Then he actually fits the Pack's $$ situation well since TT would want to get the $$$ paid early in the contract and Edwards wouldnt want to play 5 years anyways.

We will probably not have enough to front load if we get Moss, and re-sign Barnett, Green, Jenkins, and Harris all in one off-seaon. But it may be possible if Favre and KGB restrcture.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-09-2007, 02:04 PM
Plus, doesn't Donnie Edwards play MLB anyways. Barnett last year made it clear he's not moving and I think Edwards only usually plays in the middle.

BlueBrewer
02-09-2007, 03:02 PM
I got two words for you...........Hardy Nickerson!!

GoPackGo
02-09-2007, 03:48 PM
I got two words for you...........Hardy Nickerson!!

weak attempt to compare Hardy Nickerson vs. Donnie Edwards

Edwards stats. 10 years in a row with 100+ tackles. Next year will be his 12th year in the league
Nickerson 2 years with 100+ tackles in a 17 year career
The Packers got his overated ass in year 17

HarveyWallbangers
02-09-2007, 04:51 PM
Hasn't he been playing in a 3-4 defense for most of his career? Not only is age a question, but whether he's a good fit for this defense is also a question. I'm not sure how well he runs anymore.

Partial
02-09-2007, 06:21 PM
Hasn't he been playing in a 3-4 defense for most of his career? Not only is age a question, but whether he's a good fit for this defense is also a question. I'm not sure how well he runs anymore.

Nah, he was in KC for awhile.

HarveyWallbangers
02-09-2007, 06:34 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Marty in KC running his 3-4 defense for much of his time in KC? I remember Derrick Thomas being quite a force as an outside pass rusher in Marty's 3-4 there. Did Vermeil switch back and forth in his time there also?

Partial
02-09-2007, 06:37 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Marty in KC running his 3-4 defense for much of his time in KC? I remember Derrick Thomas being quite a force as an outside pass rusher in Marty's 3-4 there. Did Vermeil switch back and forth in his time there also?

I thought they were a 4-3 but then again what do I know.

Freak Out
02-09-2007, 07:25 PM
He's been playing inside and in a 3-4 his entire career as far as I remember. He is a heck of a player but where would he play in GB?

GoPackGo
02-09-2007, 07:50 PM
He's been playing inside and in a 3-4 his entire career as far as I remember. He is a heck of a player but where would he play in GB?

I'd like to see Barnett get resigned and moved to OLB. Edwards could play the middle

Barnett, Edwards, Hawk at LB's. Add a safety, DE, and another CB through the draft or free agency and the Pack could have a mean Defense!

OS PA
02-09-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm sorry, but it seems that each season we're all praising the idea of bringing in a new LB. Last year before the draft everyone was pushing for bringing in Lavar, and how it would seal up our defense and make us have the best linebacking crew, and so on / so forth, but it didn't happen. Then when the draft came there was talk about switching to 3-4 in order to fit Abdul Hodge in somewhere, but we stayed with Popp, Hawk, and Barnett again. Now this whole Donnie Edwards being a Free Agent brings up the whole debate again, and once again I don't believe any thing will change.

First we already have veteran talent at second string with Ben Taylor, next all of our linebackers, except for Hodge, can play at all three positions, and last but not least we aren't doing too bad at Linebacker with our starters, Barnett and Hawk are stars, and Poppinga was playing pretty damn well nearing the end of the season. I don't know about you guys, but i'm pretty damn excited to see our linebackers grow as a group for another year.