PDA

View Full Version : Stallworth, Johnson?

Brando19
02-09-2007, 02:32 PM
The following is from foxsports:

Green Bay's greatest needs on offense are at tight end, running back and wide receiver. Of those groups, tight end is likely to be the strongest in free agency. Among the tight ends who are likely to be unrestricted free agents are San Francisco's Eric Johnson, Seattle's Jerramy Stevens and New England's Daniel Graham. Green Bay head coach Mike McCarthy, who was the 49ers' offensive coordinator in 2005, has a history with Johnson. And because San Francisco drafted tight end Vernon Davis with the No. 6 overall pick in 2006, Johnson isn't likely to return.

The free agent wide receivers aren't special. But there are some intriguing prospects. Philadelphia's Donte' Stallworth has the deep speed Green Bay desperately needs and could be an ideal complement to Donald Driver. ... Green Bay has also reportedly shown some interest in trading for Oakland bad boy Randy Moss, something Favre supposedly supports.

red
02-09-2007, 02:43 PM
to me stallworth is a lot like the 2 wr's we already have in driver and jennings. i don't think he's the deep threat they want to make him out to be. bretsky could tell you more, i spent all season watching the other eagles wr, who i thought was the deep threat

and i would never want stevens, the other 2 te's i wouldn't mind

LL2
02-09-2007, 02:50 PM
While WR is definitely a need I can’t see Stallworth coming to GB or TT even having an interest in him. If we do not trade for Moss I’d like to see what potential Jenning, Ruvell Martin and Holliday have next year. I think Martin has a lot of potential.

oregonpackfan
02-09-2007, 04:35 PM
[quote="Brando19"]The following is from foxsports:

Green Bay's greatest needs on offense are at tight end, running back and wide receiver. Of those groups, tight end is likely to be the strongest in free agency. Among the tight ends who are likely to be unrestricted free agents are San Francisco's Eric Johnson, Seattle's Jerramy Stevens and New England's Daniel Graham.

Believe me, the Packers do NOT want Jeremy Stevens! Besides having off the field issues, he had many dropped passes for the Seahawks this season. Why get rid of Bubba Franks for another TE who also dropped passes.

Keep Stevens in the Pacific Northwest(no, not in Oregon, please) where he can continue to drop passes for the Seahawks.

Brando19
02-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Wow...noone's big on either of these guys. I like Donte Stallworth, but I agree he's not the deep threat many make him out to be. He can make a big catch when it counts, though. However, he's injury prone.
I do not know anything about Stevens, but from what I can gather from you guys, he sucks and has problems staying out of trouble.

HarveyWallbangers
02-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Can't say that I agree with the statement that Stallworth isn't a deep threat. That's what he does. He's fast. I think his 19 yards/reception last year point to that. His career mark is over 15 yards/reception.

RashanGary
02-10-2007, 07:43 AM
Eric Johnson makes the most sense. He'll probably come at a low price. He's didn't play with really good QB's. He got sandwiched behind Vernon Davis. He's probably a little underrated.

He looks better than David Martin or Donald Lee. I say bring him in and keep Bubba on board for another year. Maybe Bubba proves himself. If not, you cut him next year. Bubba is a really small cap hit this year. We already paid him the bulk. Let's see if it was the condiditon of the line that prevented him to get open and the lack of usage that caused some inconsistnacy. It's not like Bubba played like this his whole career. Plus he's a top notch run blocker and pass protector in pass rush situations. He's worth something jsut for that.

Fritz
02-10-2007, 10:02 AM
I think I nsaw an interview a year or two ago in whichh TT admitted Stevens was a need reach and TT learned about drafting for need from that. So that's tacit admittance that TT thinks the guy is a bust.

I like the San Fran TE - but is he injury prone? We already have one of those.

HarveyWallbangers
02-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I like the San Fran TE - but is he injury prone?

He missed 4 games in 2002, 16 games in 2003, 0 games in 2004, 16 games in 2005, and 3 games in 2006.

That means he's played 41 of a possible 80 games in the last 5 years. David Martin has played 56 games in those 5 years.

Fritz
02-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Harv, this reminds me of an old KC Royals pitcher - name escapes me - who used to win about 18 games every other year. In the off years, he'd be hurt. Given that, this San Fran tight end will be hurt all of 2007, but should be good to go for '08. Let's wait a year.

jmbarnes101
02-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Harv, this reminds me of an old KC Royals pitcher - name escapes me - who used to win about 18 games every other year. In the off years, he'd be hurt. Given that, this San Fran tight end will be hurt all of 2007, but should be good to go for '08. Let's wait a year.

I believe you're referring to Bret Saberhagen.

FritzDontBlitz
02-10-2007, 12:43 PM
I think I nsaw an interview a year or two ago in whichh TT admitted Stevens was a need reach and TT learned about drafting for need from that. So that's tacit admittance that TT thinks the guy is a bust.

not sure how you classify a guy who scored 6 tds last year (4 regular season, 2 playoffs) a bust. he's still an upgrade over what the packers have now. i am not pleased with stevens' timidness over the middle but he still managed to score in the red zone, i'm sure stevens would have had even better stats if he didnt have seneca wallace at qb during hassleback's injury.

i think either johnson or stevens would be an ok acquisition for the short term. they way things look green bay may need to replace every te they have right now anyway lol

Fritz
02-10-2007, 12:59 PM

not sure how you classify a guy who scored 6 tds last year (4 regular season, 2 playoffs) a bust. he's still an upgrade over what the packers have now. i am not pleased with stevens' timidness over the middle but he still managed to score in the red zone, i'm sure stevens would have had even better stats if he didnt have seneca wallace at qb during hassleback's injury.

i think either johnson or stevens would be an ok acquisition for the short term. they way things look green bay may need to replace every te they have right now anyway lol

Fritz - After seeing him drop multiple passes in the playoffs this year, I qualify him as a bust. He's soft, a character risk, and he drops the ball a lot.