PDA

View Full Version : PACKER INSIDER- GATHERING MOSS WOULD BE WISE

Bretsky
02-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Gathering Moss would be wise
Posted: Feb. 8, 2007

First of all, the Green Bay Packers would need to know why Randy Moss has been tossed onto the discount table with the rest of the losers, like he's some kind of Rex Grossman or something.

Why is it that one of the most dynamic talents of his generation can be had for the rumored low, low price of a third-round pick and another receiver? Is he healthy? Anything wrong with, say, his hips or legs? The Packers would need to know.

The Packers would also need to know how a guy, no matter the degree of his eccentric tendencies, could possibly wear out his welcome in Oakland. Oakland! Wouldn't that be like the guitarist who was kicked out of Megadeth? I mean, how heinous do you have to be to be fired from a band called Megadeth? Same with the Black Hole, the NFL's last stop for the severely disenfranchised.
80719Packers/NFL

Now, we all know that Randy Moss can be a royal pain in the place he pantomimed to a horrified crowd during the Minnesota Vikings' infamous Moon over Lambeau playoff victory a couple of years ago. You do not reference Moss' notorious behavior with a trite "baggage" label, mostly because it would be insufficient. We're talking steamer trunks at minimum, on up to mini-warehouse spaces, the really big ones.

It is also possible that Moss, who turns 30 next week, has learned some form of self control during his time of exile out there on the dark side of the moon. With no one to get him the ball in Oakland, he may be genuinely grateful for the chance to escape the league's worst offense, where his biggest crime was that he could not be another Tim Brown. It is also possible that he may be healthy enough to still go up and get the football like no one else of the last decade or so.

If all that is true and the Packers can get Moss for the equivalent of a gallon of paint at a scratch-and-dent sale, it's time to grab the brushes and get to work.

Brett Favre really, really wants to throw to Moss and has actively campaigned Ted Thompson to make the deal. There is genuine respect between Favre and Moss that transcends superstar bonding. Maybe it's a backwater-rebel connection between the chucker from Mississippi and the picker from West Virginia. There just might be a huge spark of workable chemistry there, enough to convince Moss to subjugate his individualistic whims to a team that might have a chance with his controlled presence.

More than that, the Packers need playmakers to get back into the game. As terrific as Donald Driver was last season, imagine how good he could be if opponents weren't constantly double-teaming him. Imagine if a defense also had to account for Randy Moss with Brett Favre delivering the football. Moss is a special talent, the likes of which are almost never available at any price to a team with such a specific need.

Not to compare these Packers to the '96 Super Bowl edition, but they once seamlessly incorporated another perceived malcontent of a receiver named Andre "Bad Moon" Rison.

Speaking of which, for those still offended by Moss' Lambeau gesture, remember it didn't remotely rise to Jim McMahon's wearing of a Bears jersey to the White House reception.

You've got to know your enemy. The possibility of Favre teamed up with the downfield combination of Driver and Moss could work to the Packers' best interests.

BF4MVP
02-10-2007, 02:44 PM
Nice article, thanks for posting.

Scott Campbell
02-10-2007, 03:22 PM
I'm warming up to the concept of Moss wearing our "G".

Brando19
02-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Excellent article. Moss to Packers in '07 campaign officially begins!!!!!!!

ND72
02-10-2007, 04:31 PM
I've never liked the guy, and i've never respected the guy. And I will not become a walking contradiction...I do not want this cancer on my team, and I will not back down from the stance I've had for him since the day he walked into the league.

FritzDontBlitz
02-11-2007, 12:16 PM
I've never liked the guy, and i've never respected the guy. And I will not become a walking contradiction...I do not want this cancer on my team, and I will not back down from the stance I've had for him since the day he walked into the league.

good to know you're not taking it personal. :roll:

TennesseePackerBacker
02-11-2007, 01:05 PM

I for one am glad you're not in charge of the Packers then. The Pack doesn't need Moss, but he'd be damn nice to have.

For everyone who keeps saying, "look what T.O. did in Philly and Dallas, Moss will be a cancer for our team!" That's the biggest load I've ever seen as well, it's the media that turns these guys in to circus freaks(this is of course combined with their big ego's).

All T.O. "did" was help take Philly to the Superbowl, and lead the NFC in TD catches last year.

MadtownPacker
02-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I will not back down from the stance I've had for him since the day he walked into the league.I say you change your tune after his 5th TD.
:D

chewy-bacca
02-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Jim McMahon's wearing of a Bears jersey to the White House reception.

forgive me, but is this for real? I dont recall hearing about this. :?:

prsnfoto
02-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Jim McMahon's wearing of a Bears jersey to the White House reception.

forgive me, but is this for real? I dont recall hearing about this. :?:

Yep he did and no one gave a shit. Whats funny is Moss can no doubt be a prick but think where he was most likely brought up, a ghetto rat for sure and he is a small timer with tons of talent. Then you have McMahon who was ten times the prick Moss is we took him under our wing he was 1 tenth the player of Moss and was more than likely brought up "right".

Creepy
02-12-2007, 12:46 PM
Moss didn't make any problems for oakland last year. There offensive line stunk, their QBs stunk and because they couldn't stand upright long enough to throw, the WRs stunk.

Moss is more a problem when he wins than loses. He now has been ona team where his talent couldn't do anything to right the ship. he may be ready to go somewhere and play the right way. To go from the top WR in the league to being off the list is in his mind. he wants to prove that moss is still good. Now if GB gets him for a 3d rounder, they need to ensure they don't renegotaiate the contract. Let the Raiders eat the money and Gb pay the salary. moss would be into his third year of his contract with oakland which puts GB in the enviable position not to pay a bonus.

If he screams bonus or new contract, then let oakland keep him. he has been injured the last three years and is over 30, so he isn't worth a new contract.

I say bring him in, as he will be a great threat to go deep and is a good mark for Brett when scrambling. It will make it harder on defenses to double up on driver and if jenkins comes back solid, GB would then have one of the top WR sets inthe league.

Merlin
02-12-2007, 01:02 PM
Moss didn't make any problems for oakland last year. There offensive line stunk, their QBs stunk and because they couldn't stand upright long enough to throw, the WRs stunk.

Moss is more a problem when he wins than loses. He now has been ona team where his talent couldn't do anything to right the ship. he may be ready to go somewhere and play the right way. To go from the top WR in the league to being off the list is in his mind. he wants to prove that moss is still good. Now if GB gets him for a 3d rounder, they need to ensure they don't renegotaiate the contract. Let the Raiders eat the money and Gb pay the salary. moss would be into his third year of his contract with oakland which puts GB in the enviable position not to pay a bonus.

If he screams bonus or new contract, then let oakland keep him. he has been injured the last three years and is over 30, so he isn't worth a new contract.

I say bring him in, as he will be a great threat to go deep and is a good mark for Brett when scrambling. It will make it harder on defenses to double up on driver and if jenkins comes back solid, GB would then have one of the top WR sets inthe league.

I hope you mean Jennings and not Jenkins. Somehow I don't want Cullen Jenkins as a WR!

Charles Woodson
02-12-2007, 03:26 PM
But this is what i dont understand.
I really dont think that Randy Moss with everythinggg bad that he does :roll: that he can tear the team down. But this is my point, its bretts last year and i would give almost anything to see him go out on top. if this means bring in Moss, Lynch, and Merriweather than so be it. i mean i just dont think that moss will create a big problem, and i dont see ethier lynch or merriweather will ethier.