PDA

View Full Version : Cot TT some slack in the draft

Fritz
02-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Last year, there was much gnashing of teeth when TT traded down in the second round, thus passing on Chad Jackson. He had a big 13 receptions and three TD's in his rookie year, having been given the chance to be the big-play guy the Pat needed (there other two receivers being I believe other people's retreads). Conversely, TT's pick, Greg Jennings, had 45 receptions and three TD's.

So when TT passes on "your" guy, try to give him some slack, okay?

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Yes sir Fritz's. :D

Fritz
02-10-2007, 01:00 PM
That's the attitude!

billy_oliver880
02-10-2007, 02:09 PM
You know it is funny that there was so much made about Jackson before the draft and then after the draft. Lots of people were on his band wagon. Once the season hit dude was a non factor. I am happy with our picks.

BallHawk
02-10-2007, 02:30 PM
You know it is funny that there was so much made about Jackson before the draft and then after the draft. Lots of people were on his band wagon. Once the season hit dude was a non factor. I am happy with our picks.

I think, for the most part, people have realized that Chad Jackson isn't all that great. His school made him seem better than he really was.

Bretsky
02-10-2007, 03:39 PM
I don't think I've realized anything about Chad Jackson yet...with the exception of he was injured for nearly his entire rookie season and when he did play he was rarely 100%

falco
02-10-2007, 03:50 PM
I don't think I've realized anything about Chad Jackson yet...with the exception of he was injured for nearly his entire rookie season and when he did play he was rarely 100%

Come on Bretsky, everyone knows that a receivers rookie year is the definitive indicator of overall career peformance. Just look at Sterling Sharpe!

Bretsky
02-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Come on Bretsky, everyone knows that a receivers rookie year is the definitive indicator of overall career peformance. Just look at Sterling Sharpe!

Well, you may be onto something if we breakdown past WR's Green Bay has drafted.

I think Sterling had a good rookie year if I'm not mistaken.

Javon Walker, to me, showed tons of potential

Robert Brooks and Freeman both showed potential as rookies; I think Brooks and Jennings as rookies look quite similar

Jennings looked solid; I don't think he shows the potential Javon Walker did, but I think he'll be a solid WR in the NFL

Ferguson absolutely sucked as a rookie now, and he sucks now.

HarveyWallbangers
02-10-2007, 05:55 PM
Jackson was healthy for much of the year. He played in 12 games. He just wasn't very effective (13 receptions). Doesn't mean he won't be. However, with the WR corps in New England, you'd think he could have done better.

It sure looks like he was overhyped. Combine that with his lack of production in college, and he doesn't look nearly as good as the hype.

esoxx
02-10-2007, 09:54 PM
It also didn't help that he played in an offense that had a woeful QB. Wait, never mind.

Patler
02-10-2007, 10:45 PM
I think Sterling had a good rookie year if I'm not mistaken.

Javon Walker, to me, showed tons of potential

Robert Brooks and Freeman both showed potential as rookies; I think Brooks and Jennings as rookies look quite similar

Jennings looked solid; I don't think he shows the potential Javon Walker did, but I think he'll be a solid WR in the NFL

Ferguson absolutely sucked as a rookie now, and he sucks now.

Your memories of Brooks', Freeman's and Walker's rookie seasons are a bit different than mine. I recalled Brooks and Freeman doing little of nothing as receivers, and I was disappointed in Walker until midway through his second season.

I looked it up. Brooks had a whole 12 catches for 126 yards his rookie year. Even his second year was nothing, 20 catches for 180 yards (9yds/reception!) Freeman was even less productive as a receiver his rookie year - 8 receptions for 106 yards. Both did more as punt and kickoff returners than as receivers, especially Freeman. Both were kind of pleasant surprises to me when they came around with big years later on. Walker was somewhat better as a rookie, but for a 1st round pick was a bit of a disappointment because he dropped so many passes. Eye surgery made a big difference with him.

Charles Woodson
02-10-2007, 11:14 PM
mmy biggest thing was i'd never heard of Jennings before and when i heard about the whole javon walker trade and stuff i was a lil mad

superfan
02-10-2007, 11:21 PM
Also took Driver a couple years to get going, but that's to be expected with a late round pick.

Packnut
02-11-2007, 08:38 AM
WR is the one position that rookies rarely have any impact at. Judging ANY wideout on just his rookie season is foolish at best. Factor in the WC offense and historically, a WR does'nt really make a major impact until his 3rd season.