PDA

View Full Version : Packer Offseason Moves

The Shadow
02-11-2007, 12:15 PM
Where we are :
The Packers appear to be a team on the rise. A key part (and a tricky one)to building a contender is the assembling of a solid offensive line. This has been addressed admirably by the additions of Colledge, Spitz, Moll, and Wells.
Here's the areas of concern - at least as I see them - and possible answers.

1. Playmakers : the Packers need to add players who can be gamechangers - able to change the 12 yd. play into an 85 yard one. From what I've seen of Greg Jennings, he seems to have a bit of that magic - even without blazing speed. Ahman Green has a modicum of it, too - but at 30, he is not a long range solution.

Answer : The rumored Moss gambit (3rd rounder) seems to be a low risk gamble with tremendous upside. Not only would the team add the quintessential big play threat, a side benefit would be to silence the magpies who are always screaming about Favre being shortchanged. Win-win.

TE : something needs to change. Bubba Franks , post-injuries, is clearly not the player he once was (and in my opinion, at his best he was only an average NFL tight end). The play of Martin - chronically undependable with injuries - and Lee, who failed to produce when opportunity knocked, is troubling.

Answer : There seems to be a nice selection in free agency. Perhaps Eric Johnson (S.F.) would be a worthwhile, low cost addition.

Secondary :
a. we need to be developing successors to Harris & Woodson - as well as finding a talented option at nickelback.

Answer : Blackmon could have an impact here, but even if he pans out, help is needed. The 2nd round of the draft might be the way to go here.

b. the ongoing search for a viable strong safety continues.

Answer : Manuel does not appear to be much of an upgrade over Roman. Underwood might be the answer, but more help must be added.
TT could take another flyer in free agency (Michael Lewis?) or perhaps look
for an instinctive safety in rounds 4-7. Historically, this type of player can be found in later rounds (they usually don't have the most worshipped computer numbers; safety is not the sexiest of positions).

RB : Green won't last forever. Even if he has another 2 years in the tank, he needs to be rested. Morency appears to fit the Tony Fisher role admirably. Noah Herron is an example of what Ron Wolf referred to as 'NFL Europe quality' players.

Answer : value is always the key in the draft. If the right player - the right fit for the team-is available in Round #1 (Lynch?), TT should make the move.

Misc. : depth/upgrades all along the roster.

Answer : I think TT has proven his aptitude here already. He need to continue to identify players who can fit our systems, decide if they can be had in lower draft spots, and make the moves which bring the biggest bang for the Packer buck.

The Shadow
02-11-2007, 06:15 PM
I'm surprised.
Usually - by now - the critics would be blasting away!

Joemailman
02-11-2007, 06:27 PM
Michael Lewis is an interesting possibility. He was in the Pro Bowl in 2004, is only 26, and was benched this year. He should be entering the prime of his career. He may lack the coverage skills the Packers are looking for, as did Manuel, but he is an interesting possibility.

The Shadow
02-12-2007, 06:43 PM
I was pretty surprised to learn how relatively young Lewis was.

PackerPro42
02-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Michael Lewis is an interesting possibility. He was in the Pro Bowl in 2004, is only 26, and was benched this year. He should be entering the prime of his career. He may lack the coverage skills the Packers are looking for, as did Manuel, but he is an interesting possibility.

I suggested Lewis as a possibility a while back, but every one shot that idea down as fast as I could get his name out there. I wouldn't mind seeing the Packers pick him up or Hamlin. I think they would both complement Collins well and I think they're both terrific players. Regardless of what happened to Lewis this season. Sometimes a guy just needs a change of scenery.

The Shadow
02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
I wonder if the Packers remain high on Underwood.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2007, 07:43 PM
I suggested Lewis as a possibility a while back, but every one shot that idea down as fast as I could get his name out there.

What thread? I don't remember everybody ripping Michael Lewis. I remember a couple of people ripping him, but not a lot. I'd like to see it, so I can respond. Personally, I think Lewis is a guy who would be worth taking a chance on.

Bretsky
02-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Where we are :
The Packers appear to be a team on the rise. A key part (and a tricky one)to building a contender is the assembling of a solid offensive line. This has been addressed admirably by the additions of Colledge, Spitz, Moll, and Wells.
Here's the areas of concern - at least as I see them - and possible answers.

1. Playmakers : the Packers need to add players who can be gamechangers - able to change the 12 yd. play into an 85 yard one. From what I've seen of Greg Jennings, he seems to have a bit of that magic - even without blazing speed. Ahman Green has a modicum of it, too - but at 30, he is not a long range solution.

Answer : The rumored Moss gambit (3rd rounder) seems to be a low risk gamble with tremendous upside. Not only would the team add the quintessential big play threat, a side benefit would be to silence the magpies who are always screaming about Favre being shortchanged. Win-win.

TE : something needs to change. Bubba Franks , post-injuries, is clearly not the player he once was (and in my opinion, at his best he was only an average NFL tight end). The play of Martin - chronically undependable with injuries - and Lee, who failed to produce when opportunity knocked, is troubling.

Answer : There seems to be a nice selection in free agency. Perhaps Eric Johnson (S.F.) would be a worthwhile, low cost addition.

Secondary :
a. we need to be developing successors to Harris & Woodson - as well as finding a talented option at nickelback.

Answer : Blackmon could have an impact here, but even if he pans out, help is needed. The 2nd round of the draft might be the way to go here.

b. the ongoing search for a viable strong safety continues.

Answer : Manuel does not appear to be much of an upgrade over Roman. Underwood might be the answer, but more help must be added.
TT could take another flyer in free agency (Michael Lewis?) or perhaps look
for an instinctive safety in rounds 4-7. Historically, this type of player can be found in later rounds (they usually don't have the most worshipped computer numbers; safety is not the sexiest of positions).

RB : Green won't last forever. Even if he has another 2 years in the tank, he needs to be rested. Morency appears to fit the Tony Fisher role admirably. Noah Herron is an example of what Ron Wolf referred to as 'NFL Europe quality' players.

Answer : value is always the key in the draft. If the right player - the right fit for the team-is available in Round #1 (Lynch?), TT should make the move.

Misc. : depth/upgrades all along the roster.

Answer : I think TT has proven his aptitude here already. He need to continue to identify players who can fit our systems, decide if they can be had in lower draft spots, and make the moves which bring the biggest bang for the Packer buck.

Can't argue with any of this in here Shadow, although I'd also like to see them bring in a competent OG in case the youngyans break down.

The Shadow
02-12-2007, 09:29 PM
Perhaps Marco Rivera will become available again.......

PackerPro42
02-12-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't think Rivera is the player he used to be with the Packers. I remember watching a couple cowboy games that had him commiting numerous penalties and allowing way to much pressure on the QB. I also think he's way to old to make a move on. Possibly someone like Leonard from the Cardinals as a possible OT/OG prospect. He's got so much potential but wasn't really able to show it off in AZ.

The Shadow
02-12-2007, 09:41 PM
Well, sometimes it's the smaller moves that are really encouraging - when the larger issues are progressing well.
If the Packers could actually secure Moss for a 3rd rounder, the glaring playmaker need becomes moot, and the filling in of smaller-but-crucial pieces takes on new meaning.
I think the Packers will continue to add to the offensive line, but I'm not convinced a vet will be the chosen path.

Packers4Glory
02-14-2007, 06:46 AM
CB depth is a big concern to me w/ the ages of harris and woodson. I think we will see more small college good raw skill guys added in the mid rounds this yr.

Maybe an early pick 2nd or likely 3rd round selection this yr, and then probably a 1st rounder next yr depending on how things shake out this yr.

Get Moss

sign Johnson

address the RB and WR spot in the 1st and 2nd round this yr as there should be a good RB available as well as a good WR in both rounds.

BallHawk
02-14-2007, 06:57 AM
We definitely need to address cornerback. Patrick Dendy at #3 just ain't gonna cut it.

Fritz
02-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Good list. It's about playmakers most of all. Wideouts with speed and hands. A running back for the future. Corners and safeties with speed and skills.

BF4MVP
02-14-2007, 10:37 AM
There's no reason not to sign Johnson..Lewis would be good..I'd be extremely pumped if we traded for Moss..Lynch remains my number 1 choice at 16..

Can't argue with anything you posted, Shadow..Nice post.

packiowa
02-14-2007, 11:05 AM
I disagree that the Packers are in dire need of playmakers. In my opinion, they need to teach their line to block effectively and things will open up all over the field. In all honesty, with the max protect we were running last year, the only solution for quick tds is to get a deep threat. However, if the te's weren't blocking and were instead, running down field and getting the respect of lbs, the running game will be more effective. A good running game means the safeties worry about the run and receivers get open. As we've all always known, it starts up front in football.

Now, a #1 TE other than Bubba would be great, but I don't think it is required to take a big step offensivley. JMO. I don't turn down a deep threat in FA or #25-#50 in the draft, but I don't take one at #16 either. I'd be disappointed if we stayed at #16 and chose a wr other than the only one that won't fall to us.

BooHoo
02-14-2007, 08:26 PM
I like it Shadow, good job.

And YES, we need TE help.

the_idle_threat
02-15-2007, 09:55 AM
We don't want Eric Johnson. We have a similar guy already and his name is David Martin. Plays well for a while and then when you start to count on him, he gets hurt. You end up wasting money and a roster spot on a part-time starter and filling in most of the year with backups.

Look at Johnson's history (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/289090), and don't get too caught up in the one big season out of six. Johnson has a very Rex Grossman-esque durability history. At least Grossman (or David Martin for that matter) shows up for a game or two at least each year. Johnson spent all of 2003 and all of 2005 on injured reserve. Didn't play a single game either season.

Guys who are this injury prone can't be depended upon. Worthy of a backup spot at best, and we need a starter.

woodbuck27
02-15-2007, 10:06 AM
We don't want Eric Johnson. We have a similar guy already and his name is David Martin. Plays well for a while and then when you start to count on him, he gets hurt. You end up wasting money and a roster spot on a part-time starter and filling in most of the year with backups.

Look at Johnson's history (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/289090), and don't get too caught up in the one big season out of six. Johnson has a very Rex Grossman-esque durability history. At least Grossman (or David Martin for that matter) shows up for a game or two at least each year. Johnson spent all of 2003 and all of 2005 on injured reserve. Didn't play a single game either season.

Guys who are this injury prone can't be depended upon. Worthy of a backup spot at best, and we need a starter.

I agree with you. At TE we need the very best talent we can obtain in FA. We need a tested talent at this very important WCO spot. The real problem is cost given Bubba's contract weighed against his value as a blocker, if not an Offensive weapon.

The rumor of Moss to us for a 3rd and Bubba Franks doesn't wash with me given who Oakland drafted last season in Rd. 1. So dumping part of Franks salary may not be an option.

If that was a possibility I'd be looking at the best talent available at TE (Daniel Graham ?), but he must be able to block well and protect Favre on passing downs for deep routes.That is the value of Bubba Franks.

So. . . coming full circle. I believe that we give Bubba Franks another season. I hold little value in keeping Martin or Lee.

the_idle_threat
02-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Also, you will notice by looking at Johnson's numbers that he is not a down-the-seam speed TE like we really need to stretch the offense. He's a dink-and-dunk guy who moves the chains. We have that already in Bubba, and Bubba's problems with drops are more than offset by Johnson's durability issues. I'd rather keep Bubba around, perhaps sending him to a Lasik eye surgeon in the offseason, rather than recycle another team's garbage in the name of "grass-is-greener."

woodbuck27
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
Also, you will notice by looking at Johnson's numbers that he is not a down-the-seam speed TE like we really need to stretch the offense. He's a dink-and-dunk guy who moves the chains. We have that already in Bubba, and Bubba's problems with drops are more than offset by Johnson's durability issues. I'd rather keep Bubba around, perhaps sending him to a Lasik eye surgeon in the offseason, rather than recycle another team's garbage in the name of "grass-is-greener."

Bubba Franks isn't going anywhere.

the_idle_threat
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM

Bubba Franks isn't going anywhere.

Touche

The Shadow
02-16-2007, 04:28 PM
"I disagree that the Packers are in dire need of playmakers. "

I think they need a speed receiver to open up things for Driver & Jennings.
Also, Ahman will not last forever - and Morency seems more, to me at least, like a (solid) #3.
A dependable tight end - receiving AND blocking - would be welcome (a 'superstar' is not a must; just a very solid one).
On defense, a truly intelligent safety with the knack for the pick would be wonderful. Also, a cornerback with great raw skills to develop as a nickel while maturing to someday replace Harris or Woodson would be nice.

The Shadow
02-17-2007, 10:00 AM
Can't wait till the draft magazines start appearing.

Fritz
02-17-2007, 10:32 AM
I disagree that the Packers are in dire need of playmakers. In my opinion, they need to teach their line to block effectively and things will open up all over the field. In all honesty, with the max protect we were running last year, the only solution for quick tds is to get a deep threat. However, if the te's weren't blocking and were instead, running down field and getting the respect of lbs, the running game will be more effective. A good running game means the safeties worry about the run and receivers get open. As we've all always known, it starts up front in football.

Now, a #1 TE other than Bubba would be great, but I don't think it is required to take a big step offensivley. JMO. I don't turn down a deep threat in FA or #25-#50 in the draft, but I don't take one at #16 either. I'd be disappointed if we stayed at #16 and chose a wr other than the only one that won't fall to us.

A team always needs playmakers. The Pack needs speed, baby. A receiver with speed and hands. Yes, the blocking needs to improve, but you still need a receiver to stretch the field.

BooHoo
02-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Can't wait until FA season begins. Doesn't it start March 2nd?

Fritz
02-18-2007, 08:39 AM
My sense is that this year TT will have targeted one or maybe two guys he really likes, and get after them right away.

Then again, he waited until the dust settled last year and did okay.

The Shadow
02-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Pro Football Weekly ran a list of avail. free agents - but it's just so hard
knowing which show something the Packers would be interested in.

BooHoo
02-18-2007, 07:06 PM
Maybe TE help can be found in FA. It would mean one less thing to worry about in the draft.

The Shadow
02-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Don't worry; he HAH-PPY, mon.