PDA

View Full Version : Packers need to draft a safety...

packers11
02-11-2007, 02:21 PM
All the FA Safeties suck...
Hamlin was doing horrible.... Micheal Lewis was benched... AND THOSE are the top 2 FA safeties??? PLEASE... The packers need to look for a safety in the first or second round that can start back there because FA is not the key for this position...

What second draft pick player would fit the need... Since we all know first (at #16) would be Nelson/Landry....

Whats your thoughts on the safety position???

GoPackGo
02-11-2007, 02:57 PM
We could move Woodson to safety and draft a CB and/or sign a free agent CB too

Brando19
02-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Woodson has already expressed how he feels about playing Safety...he doesn't want to.

PackerPro42
02-11-2007, 04:07 PM
I like Brandon Merriweather or Eric Weedle for second round safties. I thikn they would both fit our system very well.

Bretsky
02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
I like Brandon Merriweather or Eric Weedle for second round safties. I thikn they would both fit our system very well.

Agree on Brandon Merriweather; he's a player. Have not watched Weedle much

RashanGary
02-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Woodson has already expressed how he feels about playing Safety...he doesn't want to.

I don't remember reading that. Did he say he wouldn't play?

I would like Clements at CB and Woodson at Safety. Acctually, I think that would be 2X stronger than a rookie S teamed with Collins.

Bretsky
02-11-2007, 04:22 PM

I would like Clements at CB and Woodson at Safety. Acctually, I think that would be 2X stronger than a rookie S teamed with Collins.

Before he signed with anybody, Tampa Bay was courting Woodson as a safety, and I believe one of the reasons he noted he chose GB was because he had a strong preference to play CB.

GoPackGo
02-11-2007, 04:47 PM

That might not be his first choice of position, but he already has the contract he wanted so it should be all about winning to him.

RashanGary
02-11-2007, 04:55 PM
I remember that too but I don't remember ti being a HUGE issue for him. I think he would play it if we asked him to. I could be wrong though, esspecially after his big year with all the picks.

Joemailman
02-11-2007, 05:17 PM
I suspect Woodson would play safety if they asked him to, but I don't see any reason for it. The chances of finding a real good safety in the draft are better than the chances of finding a corner better than Woodson.

Brando19
02-11-2007, 05:21 PM

Before he signed with anybody, Tampa Bay was courting Woodson as a safety, and I believe one of the reasons he noted he chose GB was because he had a strong preference to play CB.

I read this also. I really don't think he would play Safety if GB asked him to. He is a Corner and he wants to play some offense as well. I have no evidence and I'm just going off of gut instinct on this opinion, but I honestly feel he'd be very unhappy if the Packers moved him to Safety. Besides, after 6 picks...I like him as our Corner and wouldn't mind seeing what he could do at the WR position just once.

Spaulding
02-11-2007, 05:22 PM
I'd say no to a 1st round safety unless TT trades down to do so. I also like Woodson at CB and would like him and Harris to groom Blackmon (if he can just stay healthy so we get an idea of his potenial).

Would like to see the Pack nab Michael Griffin if he's available at our slot in the 2nd round. Otherwise I'd fine if Thompson went the dart board approach and took a couple of later round players to see if one was a gem (Tony Franklin 4yr starter for Virginia and sub 4.5 speed, etc.).

Although I'd be all over the prospect if Adrian Peterson for some full moon reason dropped to 12th or so - the Pack trading up to get him, I'm on the Amobi Okoye bandwagon.

The more I hear about this player (maturity, youth as he's only 20yrs old, growth potential, drive, etc.) the more I think he could be a steal.

I say ALL ABOARD!!

RashanGary
02-11-2007, 05:41 PM
he had 8 picks

TennesseePackerBacker
02-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Landry is the guy if we're drafting a first round safety, Merriweather probably wont be there in the second, but i'd love to get him there and address something else first round

red
02-11-2007, 06:14 PM
i agree with merriweather

guys a player

digitaldean
02-11-2007, 07:42 PM
i agree with merriweather

guys a player

Read reports from the Senior Bowl about him. The guy was laying the wood down so hard during practice they were worried he'd keep some of the WR's and RB's from playing.

I'd take him if we had a shot..

PackerPro42
02-11-2007, 09:07 PM
I've been preaching Merriweather for ever now. I glad to see that some people are finally coming aboard. I'm also happy to see that I have some Lynch supporters on packerrats as well.

packers11
02-11-2007, 09:18 PM
I've been preaching Merriweather for ever now. I glad to see that some people are finally coming aboard. I'm also happy to see that I have some Lynch supporters on packerrats as well.

Lynch / Merriweather would be a good 1 & 2 pick...
I wouldn't mind a WR on pick 1 if the moss trade does not go through...

Charles Woodson
02-11-2007, 09:31 PM
i would be happy if we could nab ethier reggie nelson or brandon merriweather

Partial
02-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Merriwether is a good player but a shitty human.

Joemailman
02-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Merriwether is considered to be a 1st round talent who could fall to the 2nd round because of character issues, including the Miami/Fla. Intl. fight. I looked at 3 mock drafts and he was picked to go at #26, #30, and #50. He would only fall to the Packers in the 2nd round if other teams pass on him due to character concerns. Would TT take a chance on him?

Partial
02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Merriwether is considered to be a 1st round talent who could fall to the 2nd round because of character issues, including the Miami/Fla. Intl. fight. I looked at 3 mock drafts and he was picked to go at #26, #30, and #50. He would only fall to the Packers in the 2nd round if other teams pass on him due to character concerns. Would TT take a chance on him?

Nope. Griffin from Texas, and hopefully with the Hawaii safety I wrote a thread about the other day.

packrulz
02-12-2007, 05:46 AM

If TT traded down and took Merriwether for an extra 2nd and 4th round pick I'd be thrilled. I'm not that worried about the fight because you like safties to have a nasty disposition anyway. I think Underwood will be good if he can stay healthy.

Charles Woodson
02-12-2007, 03:16 PM

based on what? besides the fight im curious on what

PackerPro42
02-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Merriweather has a fiery disposition, if you ask me, that's exactly the type of safety I want on the Packers.

Charles Woodson
02-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Well sometimes people get so caught up in one small flaw or decision they've made that they forget the talent they have

Take a look at Sean Taylor. So he had his run in with the law. Are you really going to tell me that you wouldnt want him on this team?

PackerPro42
02-12-2007, 03:47 PM
I completely agree with you. Sure the guy mad a mistake, but he can straight up play. I wouldn't even think twice about picking him up if he's there in the second round because of the fact that he's so talented and Miami has a rep of producing awesome safeties.

Partial
02-12-2007, 03:49 PM

He once killed a man.

Partial
02-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Well sometimes people get so caught up in one small flaw or decision they've made that they forget the talent they have

Take a look at Sean Taylor. So he had his run in with the law. Are you really going to tell me that you wouldnt want him on this team?

Not really. He is the most overrated player in football. He allowed more touchdowns than any other player this year.

packers11
02-12-2007, 04:58 PM

Not really. He is the most overrated player in football. He allowed more touchdowns than any other player this year.

Roy Williams is overrated more than Sean Taylor

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2007, 05:26 PM
Roy Williams is overrated more than Sean Taylor

I agree. I think Taylor is solid--just hasn't lived up to the hype. Williams is plain bad in pass coverage.

Joemailman
02-12-2007, 06:19 PM

He once killed a man.

When did that happen? I know last July a teammate of his was shot outside his apartment and Merriweather returned fire but missed. He was not charged because he had a permit to carry a gun.

Charles Woodson
02-12-2007, 06:24 PM

He once killed a man.
wasnt that ray lewis?

RashanGary
02-12-2007, 06:43 PM

I agree. I wouldn't draft him. There are too many Darryn Colledge, Greg Jennings and Brian Calhoun's out there to waste a 2nd round pick on a dirt bag.

Charles Woodson
02-12-2007, 07:49 PM

I agree. I wouldn't draft him. There are too many Darryn Colledge, Greg Jennings and Brian Calhoun's out there to waste a 2nd round pick on a dirt bag.

BUT WHAT DID HE DO

Okay take out the fight, i mean everyone was in the friken fight, i mean whatever i dont blame him for that it was low class what he did but if i was at miami i would have been in it

PackerPro42
02-12-2007, 08:29 PM
He was involved in a shooting because someone was shooting at his friend. But he wasn't convicted or charged because the gun he was using was registered.

Charles Woodson
02-12-2007, 09:00 PM
He was involved in a shooting because someone was shooting at his friend. But he wasn't convicted or charged because the gun he was using was registered.
yes then whats the problem, everyones having a fit because someone shot was shooting at him and his friend

PackerPro42
02-12-2007, 09:02 PM
That's about it, and I don't for see that being a major problem.

Bretsky
02-12-2007, 09:16 PM
the idea that he was carrying a gun around may be cause for concern in itself

PackerPro42
02-12-2007, 09:30 PM
I don't know the state laws of Florida and what their gun policy is, but he may have been granted permission by the state because he's a high profile athlete. I know they do that quit often for many players.

Partial
02-13-2007, 12:38 AM
I just made that up about him killing a man. I still don't want him, though.

red
02-13-2007, 08:53 AM
the more i read about eric weddle, the more i like him

from footballsfuture.com

Eric Weddle S 6' 200 Utah
By: Robert Davis

Very few players are as versatile and productive as Eric Weddle. He earned freshman All American honors as a corner in 2003, after finishing with 60 tackles, 4.5 for loss, four sacks, and three interceptions. He moved to strong safety as a sophomore and earned 2nd team MWC honors after posting 75 tackles, 4.5 for loss, one sack, and four interceptions on the year. Weddle broke out as a junior, garnering MWC Defensive Player of the Year award with 78 tackles, 11 for loss, four sacks, and four picks. As a senior, the versatility was on display again. Not only did he have 58 tackles, two for loss, half a sack, and six picks(2 for touchdowns) on defense, but he also saw action on offense. He had 147 rushing yards and four touchdowns, and even threw for a touchdown.

The versatility jumps out at you. Weddle has the athleticism and speed to be a standout at corner, but the size and toughness to be a hitter at strong safety. He is very tough, and attacks his opponent no matter what his responsibility is. When the ball is in the air, he has the awareness to locate it and the ability to go up and get it. He is aggressive moving towards the line of scrimmage and will come up and hit the ball carrier. Weddle has also shown a knack for blitzing and getting to the quarterback to disrupt passing plays.

As a strong safety, he may lack ideal size to match up with tight ends and throw his body around in run support. He may have to move over to free safety, a spot he hasn’t played in college. He’s a bit of a tweener between safety and corner, so he will have to focus and learn one spot at the next level.

Eric Weddle is a very good prospect for the 2007 draft, although his true spot may yet to be determined. He’s been a standout corner and strong safety for the Utes, but may be asked to play free safety in the NFL. Teams will also work him out in the post season to see if he has the change of direction ability to play corner back at the next level. There is also the possibility of him remaining at strong safety if he packs on a few more pounds. One thing is for sure: Weddle’s versatility, talent, and instincts will make him a productive NFL defensive back.

-----------------------

there looks to be 5 pretty good safeties in this draft. there is no reason why we shouldn't get a good one in the second round, if we pass one up in the 1st

Charles Woodson
02-13-2007, 02:51 PM
I just made that up about him killing a man. I still don't want him, though.

But Ray Lewis really killed a man

HarveyWallbangers
02-13-2007, 03:23 PM
But Ray Lewis really killed a man

Wasn't it his bodyguard or one of his posse that killed a man?

Scott Campbell
02-13-2007, 03:33 PM
the more i read about eric weddle, the more i like him

from footballsfuture.com

Eric Weddle S 6' 200 Utah

Excellent college football player. Freakish versatility, and took direct snaps as a RB out of the shotgun reguarly in the red zone. Teams knew what was coming, but still couldn't stop him from moving the chains or scoring. Really smart, and the coaching staff would throw him in just about anywhere because he picked things up so quickly. A gambler in coverage. But he bites on fakes too easily, and jumped routes and got beat deep way too often. Definitely a playmaker in college. Teams had to game plan around him. Hands like a receiver, and excellent body control. He'll win more than his share of jump balls. I'd be surprised if he runs well at the combine.