PDA

View Full Version : Arrington Released

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2007, 05:28 PM
LaVar Arrington was released today. Would anybody want to take a chance on him--provided he comes cheaply? He only played 6 games last year, and has become injury prone. He does have some talent though.

packers11
02-12-2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.kffl.com/article/115/Giants_cut_LBs_Arrington_and_Emmons,_T_Petitgout.h tml
Giants cut LBs Arrington and Emmons, T Petitgout

February 12, 2007

By SportsTicker

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (Ticker) -- The New York Giants decided to bring back coach Tom Coughlin. But three veteran starters weren't as lucky.

The Giants released linebackers LaVar Arrington and Carlos Emmons and left tackle Luke Petitgout, new general manager Jerry Reese announced on Monday.

Arrington and Petitgout had their 2006 campaigns shortened by injuries and Emmons missed four games with a pectoral injury.

"These are difficult decisions," Coughlin said. "But as Jerry and I looked at the roster, they are decisions we felt we had to make as we start to compose our team for the upcoming season."

Last April, Arrington signed an incentive-laden seven-year deal that could have been worth up to $49 million with the Giants. But that turned out to be a mistake by former general manager Ernie Accorsi, who retired last month and was replaced by Reese.

Arrington tore his Achilles tendon in an October 23 game at Dallas and finished his shortened season with 17 tackles, a sack and two passes defensed.

"LaVar's situation is unfortunate because he was just starting to really become a factor in our defense at the time of his injury," Reese said.

Arrington, 28, made the Pro Bowl three times in his six seasons with the Washington Redskins before signing with the Giants.

The Giants initially hesitated to sign Arrington, who underwent arthroscopic surgery twice on his right knee in a 20-month period of 2004 and 2005.

The second overall pick in 2000 out of Penn State, Arrington has registered 413 tackles, 23 1/2 sacks and three interceptions in 85 career games.

Injuries limited Emmons to 36 games in his three seasons with the Giants. Last year, he started seven games at strongside linebacker and five at weakside linebacker and finished fifth on the team with 70 tackles and a sack.

"Carlos has had a tough time staying on the field consistently because of injuries the past couple years," Reese said.

The 33-year-old Emmons had averaged 110 tackles from 2000-03 with the Philadelphia Eagles before signing with the Giants in March 2004.

Petitgout, 30, spent his entire eight-year career with the Giants and played in 113 games at tackle and guard.

This past season, Petitgout started nine games at left tackle before breaking his left leg in a November 12 loss against Chicago.

"Luke has been a valuable performer for our team," Reese said. "Throughout his career he showed his versatility and toughness. Because of that, this was a difficult decision, but it was one we felt we had to make to take the first steps in improving our team for 2007."

Petitgout was an integral member of the line that helped Tiki Barber set franchise records while rushing for 5,050 yards from 2004-06.

The Giants collapsed in the second half of the 2006 season, losing six of their last eight games but made the playoffs with an 8-8 record. They lost in the wild card round to Philadelphia, 23-20.

Despite the shaky second half, the Giants signed Coughlin to a one-year extension last month.

Coughlin has a 25-23 record with one NFC East title in three years as Giants coach. However, he is 0-2 in the playoffs.

packers11
02-12-2007, 05:39 PM
weird... Why would they cut him, he was doing good until he got injured... Not worth the big money??? I wouldn't mind him on the Pack if they could get him cheap... But I doubt that...

PackerPro42
02-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I'd be up for giving him a second chance. I mean we wanted to get him last year, so why not try to get him this year. Yes he is coming off a serious injury, but that may mean that he'll come cheaper than dirt. I say give him a chance. Them we don't have to dump all kinds of money into Thomas and we'll still have a wicked good linebacker core.

Brando19
02-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Wow! This comes as a total shocker. The Giants are definitely contenders so for them to release Arrington...he's either not worth the money or they see something we don't. I believe he has a load of talent, but injuries are a HUGE factor for this guy.

retailguy
02-12-2007, 06:46 PM
<sigh>.... don't get me started... :(

SD GB fan
02-12-2007, 07:13 PM
wasnt it a 7 year deal with a lot of bonus? ouch to the giants salary cap.

red
02-12-2007, 08:01 PM
i wanted him last year, and if the price is right, i'd take him this year

the guy does have a load of talent

red
02-12-2007, 08:07 PM
they also released Luke Petitgout offensive tackle that started 106 games in 8 seasons, and he's only 30. and also plays guard

possible depth for the o-line?

Bretsky
02-12-2007, 08:08 PM
they also released Luke Petitgout offensive tackle that started 106 games in 8 seasons, and he's only 30. and also plays guard

If healthy, I'd take him in a sec

pittstang5
02-12-2007, 08:09 PM

Not sure he'd be a TT target, but I was surprised he was let go too.

MadtownPacker
02-12-2007, 09:16 PM
TT was very wise to pick Woodson.

Offer Lavar some peanuts and inform him the Pack will be playing the redskins in 07.

BF4MVP
02-12-2007, 09:47 PM
If he comes cheap, why the hell not..He'd be an upgrade over Poppinga if he's healthy..

Of course, the "Poston Brothers" and "cheap" are rarely uttered in the same sentence...

Pacopete4
02-12-2007, 10:07 PM
If he were to be around the league minimum for vets or around that figure why not give him some looks.. other thing is we have to make sure he is on a good pace to come back healthy. Adding a guy like him is adding quality depth to what seems to be a pretty good LB rising. Even though there will be haters on this issue, adding talent, and doing it with a reasonable fee is what TT is really trying to do.

HarveyWallbangers
02-12-2007, 10:10 PM
So, our wish list is Moss for a 3rd round pick, Arrington for league minimum, a safety like Ken Hamlin or Michael Lewis, any viable TE, best player available at pick #16 (maybe an RB), and CBs for depth later in the draft?
:D

If this all happened could Green Bay contend for the Super Bowl in a watered down NFC?

MadtownPacker
02-13-2007, 02:35 AM
Yes they can be and its not even that far fetched that all these moves are possible.

KYPack
02-13-2007, 07:56 AM
He had talent.

Arrignton is all played out. He hasn't had a decent season in 4-5 years and is coming off a ruptured achilles tendon. Lavar isn't worth bringing in and taking reps from somebody that can play.

Another thing that drives me nuts is the constant refrain "sign him at the vet minimum.:

These guys don't want to sign for the vet minimum. When you do that, you are saying "my career is over and this is my last chance." Any talent that has value won't take a minimum deal.

Zool
02-13-2007, 08:10 AM
I read during the season that Arringtons knee is bone on bone now. He's playing through pain every game. Thats going to make you run different than normal and cause other injuries. Please, and no thank you.

red
02-13-2007, 08:14 AM
I read during the season that Arringtons knee is bone on bone now. He's playing through pain every game. Thats going to make you run different than normal and cause other injuries. Please, and no thank you.

we were actually hearing this last year when we were going after him

it does make you wonder if the popped tendon has something to do with the knee

his deal was very much incentive laden. meaning he had to play and play well to make the big bucks

so i would check him out, and if he looks somewhat ok, i would give him that kind of deal. if he gets hurt, no big deal, we don't loose much. and if he plays well, he gets paid like he should, and we have a good player

i wish all contracts were like that

Ballboy
02-13-2007, 08:34 AM
I know he plays LB....but which one? If his knees are bad, and he just popped a tendon, I don't think he would be able to play Poppy's spot in that he may not be able to cover the TE, which is the same problem Poppy has?

Right?

red
02-13-2007, 08:51 AM
I know he plays LB....but which one? If his knees are bad, and he just popped a tendon, I don't think he would be able to play Poppy's spot in that he may not be able to cover the TE, which is the same problem Poppy has?

Right?

he's a will, just like hawk. he would have to make the move

this isn't a shot at pop. but LA has more physical talent it one leg then pop has in his whole body. thats why people want him

The_Dude
02-13-2007, 09:15 AM
he's a will, just like hawk. he would have to make the move

this isn't a shot at pop. but LA has more physical talent it one leg then pop has in his whole body. thats why people want him

It's too bad that one leg doesn't really work anymore... :wink:

Cheesehead Craig
02-13-2007, 10:35 AM
He had talent.

Arrignton is all played out. He hasn't had a decent season in 4-5 years and is coming off a ruptured achilles tendon. Lavar isn't worth bringing in and taking reps from somebody that can play.

Another thing that drives me nuts is the constant refrain "sign him at the vet minimum.:

These guys don't want to sign for the vet minimum. When you do that, you are saying "my career is over and this is my last chance." Any talent that has value won't take a minimum deal.
Couldn't have said it better myself KY. Nicely done. Don't want him, don't need him.

the_idle_threat
02-13-2007, 01:34 PM
He had talent.

Couldn't have said it better myself KY. Nicely done. Don't want him, don't need him.

I also agree with KY. Arrington was talented once, but he's washed up. If we're shooting for formerly-talented and washed up, why not see if Jim Brown wants to tote the rock for us this year? Sure ... he's old, but he retired relatively young so he doesn't have a ton of miles on him. :P

I'm more interested to hear the story on Luke Pettigout. That is a bigger surprise to me.

Patler
02-13-2007, 01:43 PM
If we're shooting for formerly-talented and washed up, why not see if Jim Brown wants to tote the rock for us this year? Sure ... he's old, but he retired relatively young so he doesn't have a ton of miles on him. :P

Jim Brown played only 6 more NFL games than Sterling Sharpe.
Maybe Sharpe SHOULD be in the HOF?????

the_idle_threat
02-13-2007, 01:58 PM
If we're shooting for formerly-talented and washed up, why not see if Jim Brown wants to tote the rock for us this year? Sure ... he's old, but he retired relatively young so he doesn't have a ton of miles on him. :P

I'm sure Sharpe will settle for his inevitable induction to the broadcasting hall of fame.

BF4MVP
02-13-2007, 06:35 PM

Gale Sayers only played 7 seasons, and his final two seasons he played in a total of 4 games, had 36 total carries for 90 total yards, and didn't score a touchdown..Also, his only catch during the final two seasons was for minus-6 yards..

I think Sterling did enough statistically to deserve it, but he's an ass..So I could care less..

red
02-13-2007, 06:52 PM
i think sharpe should get in

he redefined the role of a WR

first wr to ever catch 100 passes in a season. he borke it and all of a sudden everyone followed

talk about a go too guy

he was all we had, he was it. every single team knew the ball had to go to him, and he still made the plays

Patler
02-13-2007, 07:29 PM
I think Sterling did enough statistically to deserve it, but he's an ass..So I could care less..

If you kept athletes out of their respective Halls of Fame because they were asses, there would be few in the HOF for any sport.

BF4MVP
02-13-2007, 11:03 PM

If you kept athletes out of their respective Halls of Fame because they were asses, there would be few in the HOF for any sport.
I don't disagree..But like I said, I don't really care whether Sterling gets in or not..

Cheesehead Craig
02-14-2007, 08:32 AM
If Art Monk can't get in, no way Sharpe ever will.

Fritz
02-14-2007, 09:16 AM
He had talent.

I also agree with KY. Arrington was talented once, but he's washed up. If we're shooting for formerly-talented and washed up, why not see if Jim Brown wants to tote the rock for us this year? Sure ... he's old, but he retired relatively young so he doesn't have a ton of miles on him. :P

I'm more interested to hear the story on Luke Pettigout. That is a bigger surprise to me.

I'm not sure I understand the fascination with signing bunches of free agents. If you sign Arrington, Hamlin, and the others that have been suggested earlier in this thread, all you'll have is an aging, injury-prone, slow team. No thanks.

Draft some kids, sign one or two FA's, and go.

BooHoo
02-14-2007, 08:39 PM
Giants must know something about his injury(ies) that they really didn't like.

HarveyWallbangers
02-14-2007, 09:11 PM
If Art Monk can't get in, no way Sharpe ever will.

I thought Art Monk was overrated... like Pete Rose. Don't get me wrong, they were both fine players, but they were "slap hitters," and their stats were impressive because they played forever.

Zool
02-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Rose has the all-time hits record. Thats like saying Ricky Henderson was just OK at stealing bases and Hank Aaron was just OK at hitting HR's. They both played for ever too.

Guiness
02-15-2007, 09:32 AM
Doing it consistently forever is part of greatness. Coaches love those guys you write in the lineup chart with a pen...

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2007, 10:26 AM
Rose has the all-time hits record. Thats like saying Ricky Henderson was just OK at stealing bases and Hank Aaron was just OK at hitting HR's. They both played for ever too.

Ricky did more than just hit singles. I bet he had more homers than Rose. Who had the higher on-base %, Rose or Henderson? Who did more when they got on base? Aaron drove in runs. Rose was a table setter. One is equivalent to a LB like Barnett who gets a ton of tackles. The other is equivalent to a LB like Urlacher who makes game changing and deciding plays.

Ricky had a higher on-base percentage, higher slugging percentage, and 1500 more steals.

Aaron had a higher on-base percentage (he even had a higher life-time batting average), much higher slugging percentage, and stole a couple hundred more bases.

Ricky and Aaron are MUCH better than Rose, and that is my point.