PDA

View Full Version : What defensive position is easiest to scheme for

Sparkey
04-24-2006, 10:59 AM
If I look at the positions on a defense, simplyfing it into three categories; D-Line, linebacker or DB, the easiest position to scheme for (take out of a play) is a defensive lineman.

You can double him by using a center/guard or guard/tackle or even tackle and chip him with a tight end. DB's can be acounted for by running specific routes from a WR or TE to pull a DB (corner or safety) to one side of the field. Plus, db's are the last line of defense so they need to slide coverage.

My opinion is that the hardest defensive position to account for on a consistent basis is linebacker. Linebackers can have the biggest impact on causing problems for an offense. Look at some of the great LB's in the game (past & present) Lawrence Taylor, Ray Lewis, Dick Butkus, Ray Nitchke, Dick Lane, Mike Singletary, Junior Seau, Dick Lane, Bronco Nagerski, Derrick Brooks, Franco Harris, etc.......

Green Bay has not had a stud LB since Nitschke.....Time to change that trend and draft Hawk @ #5.

Scott Campbell
04-24-2006, 11:08 AM
You could try and scheme against Reggie.

oregonpackfan
04-24-2006, 11:12 AM
I agree the defensive lineman position is the easiest to scheme for.

HarveyWallbangers
04-24-2006, 11:15 AM
The counter to this is that by scheming against a DL, the offense is limiting itself more than it likely would by scheming against a LB or DB. It's easy to scheme against one DL, but there's no scheming against a team full of good DL.

MJZiggy
04-24-2006, 11:20 AM
You could try and scheme against Reggie.

Isn't that a good way to wind up on your back in the dirt?

MadtownPacker
04-24-2006, 11:25 AM
This is a easy one: Safety!

Just make sure his name is darren sharper and the play is on 4th down and over 20yds, then pass your way to a miracle.

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
I agree, D-linemen will most likely always be in the same position, a safety can move all over the field, and so can linebackers. The zone blitz was invented to throw off the offense in depending on the 4 defensive linemen to consistently rush the passer on passing downs. The zone blitz threw a wrench into the offensive game plan of pass protection on 3rd down.

RashanGary
04-24-2006, 12:43 PM
If you only have one good DLman than I agree.

b bulldog
04-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Agree but if you have two good DL, you have the start of a good D. If you have bad DL and a great LB, the LB gets blocked and caught in traffic and does nothing. Games are won and lost in the trenches for a reason.