PDA

View Full Version : Harris Extended

bigcoz75
02-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Packers: Harris gets contract extension WSJ

GREEN BAY -- It took him a year, but in the end, Al Harris got what he wanted.

The Green Bay Packers' No. 1 cornerback told the Wisconsin State Journal's Jason Wilde this morning that he has agreed to terms on a two-year contract extension, a deal that he said adds in a pair of roster bonuses worth a combined $4.5 million and modest Pro Bowl incentives to his existing contract.

"Like I've said the whole time, I wasn't trying to break the bank. I just wanted to be compensated for the work that I do," Harris said in a phone interview as he drove his son to school in Florida.

"I'm satisfied. I'm extremely satisfied.

"I just wanted to feel appreciated, and appreciation in this game is compensation. So everything worked out for everybody."

While the Packers paid free-agent cornerback Charles Woodson like a No. 1 cornerback, signing him to a seven-year, $39 million deal last April -- a contract that paid Woodson more than $10 million in 2006 alone -- Harris was the one they matched up with the best opposing receiver each week.

After Woodson's signing, Harris, who signed a five-year, $18.635 million extension in September 2004 that included $7 million in bonuses, skipped the team's voluntary late-May minicamp and all 14 organized team activity practices to demonstrate his unhappiness with his contract. He also threatened to hold out of training camp if his deal wasn't reworked.

But he reported to camp on time and played for his $1.5 million base salary, intercepting three passes, breaking up 20 passes and allowing just five completions of 20 yards or more and only one touchdown catch. He also stopped complaining about his contract.

Harris admitted today that he had little leverage when he asked to have his contract redone after just two seasons - "It's kind of an unwritten law that you don't do that," he said - but he also emphasized the Packers made it clear he was their top cornerback by the way he was used against teams' No. 1 receivers.

"I really didn't want to be a distraction," Harris said. "My numbers were simple, modest, realistic numbers."

Midway through the season, Harris said, general manager Ted Thompson let him know that he'd be open to upgrading his deal.

"At the beginning of the season, I felt unappreciated. Then, as the season goes on, (the coaches) are giving me the top dude (to cover)," Harris said. "One time, I was about to go to practice, and Ted called me over to the side and said, 'Al, we haven't forgotten about this thing.' You're going to respect that, instead of a guy blowing you off, which he could have done."

Asked if he would gone about things differently if he had it to do over again, Harris replied, "Not knowing Ted at first, yeah, I probably would have went about it a little different. At one point in time, I was bad as hell, which really never solves anything. Once I went and talked to Ted face-to-face, he assured me that there would be an effort made, which is pretty much all you can ask for."

Harris' existing deal calls for him to earn base salaries of $2.2 million in 2007, $2.85 million in '08 and $3 million in '09.

Thompson and Harris' agent, Jack Bechta, had not yet returned messages this morning.

For more on this story, come back later to www.madison.com/wsj or pick up a copy of Wednesday's Wisconsin State Journal.

cheesner
02-13-2007, 09:59 AM
Great news!

Al deserved it. He could have held out or something but he still played at a high level. I am glad this worked out. I do hope he makes mini camps this year.

bigcoz75
02-13-2007, 10:04 AM
"At the beginning of the season, I felt unappreciated. Then, as the season goes on, (the coaches) are giving me the top dude (to cover)," Harris said. "One time, I was about to go to practice, and Ted called me over to the side and said, 'Al, we haven't forgotten about this thing.' You're going to respect that, instead of a guy blowing you off, which he could have done."

Way to go TT. Another great(all be it obvious) move.

SkinBasket
02-13-2007, 10:07 AM
"Like I've said the whole time, I wasn't trying to break the bank. I just wanted to be compensated for the work that I do," Harris said in a phone interview as he drove his son to school in Florida.

I'm glad he has his priorities straight. It's always best to give detailed phone interviews while driving your car with your kid in the back seat. Especially when driving to a school. After all, I'm sure it's just day care van drivers who run over little kids while on the phone, not professional athletes.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-13-2007, 10:11 AM
What I love the most about this is that he really wasn't asking for that much. Were set at corner for the next 2 years but we need to find two coners that can play 3rd and 4th and learn behind our two vets. Hopefully that will happen in round 3 and 4 this year.

red
02-13-2007, 10:27 AM
awesome

win-win

he's happy, and it doesn't hurt our cap much at all. my guess is his number goes up between 2-4 million for this year

RashanGary
02-13-2007, 10:36 AM
It's good that he was level headed and was understanding that he wasn't going ot get top dollar after just signing it 2 years ago.

Very refreshing. Very similar to Driver. He is a very good player and deserved to be paid a little more. Walkers problem was that he just asked for too much too early without having a reasonable head with the whole thing.

Green Bud Packer
02-13-2007, 11:15 AM
now the pack needs a strong safety to make this group playoff caliber. good move by mr. thompson to get this done quickly. harris handled himself like a man, proved for one more season he's worthy, and reaped the bennies. like someone else said win-win

Partial
02-13-2007, 11:23 AM
Excellent news. Seems TT has learned his lesson from the Walker fiasco.

pittstang5
02-13-2007, 11:35 AM
This is good, not only for Harris and the Pack, but for any FAs looking to come to Green bay. With all the bad mouthing from Walker about "not getting respect" etc, doesn't look good to potential free agents. (Don't grill me on the Walker situation - whether he reserved a raise or not. I'm merely using him as an example of a player that could bad mouth the team, based on compensation.)

With Driver's contract ext. last year, Harris now and potentially Barnett's in the future, many FAs will see - you play above what you're expected...you get compensated.

I'm happy Harris is happy - he desreved it.

Patler
02-13-2007, 11:37 AM

Perhaps Harris was the one who learned from the Walker fiasco, and from the Driver extension, and from the Wells extension.

gbgary
02-13-2007, 11:52 AM
well GOOD!! it's about time!

KYPack
02-13-2007, 11:55 AM
This is whatr every level headed poster on Packer Forums has been hollering for for many weeks.

Do you think Thompson does read these things?

I also echo the sentiments. A good move by the organization.

Cheesehead Craig
02-13-2007, 12:04 PM

Perhaps Harris was the one who learned from the Walker fiasco, and from the Driver extension, and from the Wells extension.
Likely a combination of all. Very good move by Harris and the organization.

Partial
02-13-2007, 12:10 PM

My mind was just blown :D

Freak Out
02-13-2007, 12:15 PM
It's coming together...........

Packnut
02-13-2007, 12:19 PM
One more potential problem solved. I'm gonna give TT a ton of credit for learning from past mistakes.

Patler
02-13-2007, 12:20 PM
I think from a player's perspective the Packers organization looks very friendly. A difficult cap situation caused the Packers to retrench a couple seasons ago and let Sharper, Rivera and Wahle leave, and apparent personality conflicts caused the trade of Walker (McKenzie hardly matters, it was a whole team-admisnistration ago!). However, since then, the Packers have been at least fair and perhaps even generous in their contract dealings with:

Manual, Pickett and Woodson as outside free agents brought in.
Franks, Kampman and Green as the teams own free agents re-signed.
Driver, Wells and Harris signed to new deals before existing contracts ran out.

That's 9 significant new deals in less than two years in which the Packers treated players as good or better than they perhaps merited. The Packer's image is sound around the league, I suspect.

swede
02-13-2007, 12:21 PM
"One time, I was about to go to practice, and Ted called me over to the side and said, 'Al, we haven't forgotten about this thing.' You're going to respect that, instead of a guy blowing you off, which he could have done."

That may explain why Al's negativity quieted down real sudden-like mid-season. For a while he was talking like someone whose feelings had been hurt and he was getting ready to not be back.

Excellent off-season news!

Now how about some wowie-zowie FA signings to go with. That'd be all right.

cpk1994
02-13-2007, 12:25 PM

It seems Walker could take a hard lesson like this. Send this article to him with the heading "How to Act Like a Professional".

the_idle_threat
02-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Very glad to hear this news.

superfan
02-13-2007, 01:36 PM
This is great news, and still a good deal financially for GB IMO.

But wait, he lives in Florida, not Green Bay? Get rid of him! :mrgreen:

OS PA
02-13-2007, 01:44 PM
"Like I've said the whole time, I wasn't trying to break the bank. I just wanted to be compensated for the work that I do," Harris said.

I Love this quote. I love this move! I'm glad that we'll have Harris for the rest of his career. :)

MTPackerfan
02-13-2007, 01:46 PM
glad to hear this happen, Harris is a team leader and a good corner.

MadtownPacker
02-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Dammit I like the way TT does business!!!! Good news for sure.

Skinbasket - Shut your damn mouth, you probably do worse shit when driving. But dont give us details cuz it could be used sgainst you in a court of law.

BallHawk
02-13-2007, 02:32 PM
As already said, a win-win move. Hopefully this will clear the path for more Free Agents to come to Green Bay.

Great job, Ted!

Packnut
02-13-2007, 02:34 PM

It seems Walker could take a hard lesson like this. Send this article to him with the heading "How to Act Like a Professional".

Ya need to read the entire article. Al did the Walker thing too, but after TT told him face to face it would get worked out, he shut up.

Cheesehead Craig
02-13-2007, 03:45 PM

Sorry, you would need to get it past his daddy first. Nothing bad or critical gets to Javon without his approval or spin.

wist43
02-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Good signing... one less distraction.

Scott Campbell
02-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Midway through the season, Harris said, general manager Ted Thompson let him know that he'd be open to upgrading his deal.

This, like the bulk of TT's work, will typically never be seen by Packer fans. So when were lucky enough to get a glimpse in to how he really works, I would hope people would quit assuming the worst when they're not reading about every little detail in the paper.

Patler
02-13-2007, 04:46 PM

This, like the bulk of TT's work, will typically never be seen by Packer fans. So when were lucky enough to get a glimpse in to how he really works, I would hope people would quit assuming the worst when they're not reading about every little detail in the paper.

Scott has it exactly right. For example, we have no idea what he may have or have not said to Walker when he was here.

packers11
02-13-2007, 04:47 PM
DA PREDATOR IS BACK!!! :D

http://thecia.com.au/reviews/a/images/alien-vs-predator-poster-2.jpg

Kiwon
02-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Good move. I like to see quality players like Harris and Kampman compensated for their hard work.

I am getting tired of the R-E-S-P-E-C-T angle.

A NFL player risks injury in almost every drill, practice or game. Many end up with permanent problems after their playing days (Ted Johnson, for example). In one sense, few of them are paid adequately. However, does that mean that the team owners and front offices don't respect their players? Of course not.

You get paid by what you do on the field, not equal to the respect that an organization has for its players.

hurleyfan
02-13-2007, 06:36 PM
All right! A good player rewarded in dollars for the job he's done!

Can't imagine what the Pack would do if they had an unhappy CB that wants out "cause I don't get no respect" and had to start another newbie opposite Woodson!

Keep it up Ahnold... I mean Terminator... I mean Al :D :D

LL2
02-13-2007, 09:31 PM
Good move. Keep momma happy everyone is happy. They now need to lock up Cullen Jenkins. Make a few more smart moves in FA and the draft and let the season begin!

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
Does anyone know to what effect his deal will have on our cap this year? Or in others words, how much extra cap space will he consume?

Fritz
02-14-2007, 06:11 AM

Scott has it exactly right. For example, we have no idea what he may have or have not said to Walker when he was here.

I'll second this. GM's can't do their work in public - everything would blow up if you started negotiating in the papers. So we'll never know what actually was said behind the scenes vis a vis Walker.

Agree too that this does explain why Harris quieted down mid-season.

A very good move. As you know I am a big TT supporter. Go Ted.

Merlin
02-14-2007, 02:32 PM
Don't go gushing all over TT just yet. The Packers as an organization have a long history and tradition of taking care of their own. The precedes TT by a lot of years, even his first go around. TT can't afford to be classless in any deal because this is the Packers and the organization dictates him more then you would like to believe.

Fritz
02-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Merlin - Who do you mean by "the organization"? And how do you know this? I'm curious.

BooHoo
02-14-2007, 08:20 PM
Good move. It will be good to have Harris around for awhile. Also, I like not having this as a distraction as mentioned above. Okay, TT what is next?

MJZiggy
02-14-2007, 08:24 PM
Jenkins.

BooHoo
02-14-2007, 08:33 PM
I could buy that.

woodbuck27
02-15-2007, 01:23 PM
This is a sound off season move by Ted Thompson; just one I hoped for of 4-6 in total, that will pave OUR way to the playoffs in 2007.

MJZiggy
02-15-2007, 01:32 PM
What are the other moves you wanted, Woodbuck?