PDA

View Full Version : If Sharper is released...

Kiwon
02-13-2007, 05:56 PM
If Shaper is released by the Vikings should the Pack consider signing him again? Your thoughts?

packers11
02-13-2007, 06:02 PM
If Shaper is released by the Vikings should the Pack consider signing him again? Your thoughts?

he burned all bridges by talking bad about the organization... He used to be my favorite player but age definitely caught up with him... Also he tends to let up big plays... 4th and 25 (T.O)... 4th and 26 (Freddie Mitchell)...

So... my answer would be... NO

red
02-13-2007, 06:11 PM
there were a lot of packer fans, including myself, that were glad hen we cut him

he just gave up way too many big plays

we wanted him cut, and we wanted something better

we still haven't found a decent nfl starter

but i wouldn't want him back

BF4MVP
02-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I'm not a fan of Sharper's anymore..But if came down to choosing between Sharper and Manuel, I'd take Sharper any day of the week..

retailguy
02-13-2007, 06:27 PM

He should sign with Denver, or better Green Bay South (Houston)...

hurleyfan
02-13-2007, 06:31 PM

NO NO a THOUSAND TIMES NO!!

He really skewered the Packers when he left, whining about respect, team heading in the wrong direction, blah blah blah..

He forgot about all those big plays he gave up, and who can count the number of missed tackles?? And he had about 2 decent years?

What a sec, can he be any worse than Manual :roll: :roll: :roll:

ahaha
02-13-2007, 10:57 PM
I would only like him on the Packers if he signed for the minimum and we just kept him on the bench. A humiliating end for a proud veteren. He deserved it. He whined and cried, and ripped the Packer organization because they cut him. Sharper wasn't living up to his big contract and the Pack was having salary cap problems. He burned his bridges with Green Bay because of that. What a baby! What a jack-ass! Sign him for the min, stuff him on the bench, and do an NFL films segment about him.

BobDobbs
02-14-2007, 12:13 AM
You know I always liked him. I felt the good outweighed the bad. Even the year that he was cut he scored three touchdowns. I think he would beat out Manuel and probably Underwood for a starting spot.

But after everythng that has happened I don't see how you can bring him back. I haven't really watched him at Minnesota, but I have to assume he's feeling the effects of age. I think it is worth trying to find a long term partner for Collins.

I wish him luck though.

GrnBay007
02-14-2007, 12:43 AM
hmm.....wasn't this once a huge argument between Harv and Mad?

ooops..... :P :wink: haha

HarveyWallbangers
02-14-2007, 02:11 AM
Sharper was good in 2005. He didn't do as well in 2006, but he was still above average. Now, I'm hoping the Pack take a chance on Michael Lewis or pick up Ken Hamlin, but Sharper would still be a big upgrade over Manuel, Culver, and Underwood. Honestly, I doubt any of those guys will ever play as well as Sharper did even in 2006.

Fritz
02-14-2007, 06:14 AM
Bringing Sharper back would be a very Shermanesque move.

red
02-14-2007, 09:25 AM
lets not forget that the guy stuck his nose in every single little bit of news that came out of green bay

remember the javon situation, sharper felt he had to keep the world updated about what he thought about the situation

screw him, like others have said. he burned his bridges

just like javon and mike mckenzie did

MadtownPacker
02-14-2007, 09:28 AM
Honestly, I doubt any of those guys will ever play as well as Sharper did even in 2006.He is a damn choker and is directly responsible for the 2 of the Packers greatest playoff losses.

Anyone that backs sharper is full of crap and should wear purple!!!

pacfan
02-14-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm not a fan of Sharper's anymore..But if came down to choosing between Sharper and Manuel, I'd take Sharper any day of the week..

...except on SUnday :wink:

pbmax
02-14-2007, 01:52 PM
No, no, no, a million times no. The exact antithesis of the player this defense wants. Doesn't like the Cover 2 they are playing in Minny, we are playing a lot of 2 safeties back as well. Sharper as the last line of defense is like playing a Green Army Man as your goalie.

Merlin
02-14-2007, 02:22 PM
He has to mend the fences first before we should consider him. If he does that then yes, we should consider him. Harris, Woodson and Collins are solid. Sharper would be surrounded with talent that wouldn't allow him to be a big play tool like he was when he was basically our only safety. He should be on the side with Harris because we need someone on that side of the field to grab 10 picks a season when someone else is actually covering the receiver.

BooHoo
02-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Maybe his time in Green Bay is over but we still need help at Safety.

the_idle_threat
02-15-2007, 09:28 AM
IMO, Sharper is way overrated in a Roy Williams (saftety for Dallas, not WR for Detroit) sort of way. Gives up a ton of big plays.

woodbuck27
02-15-2007, 09:43 AM
I'd defer to whatever Rastak says. . . but I don't see him back in the G and G again.

Age, blown plays,attitude with arrogance and 'the burnt bridges factor' all playing into the NO.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2007, 10:28 AM
IMO, Sharper is way overrated in a Roy Williams (saftety for Dallas, not WR for Detroit) sort of way. Gives up a ton of big plays.

I don't agree. He gave up some, but he also made big plays. As opposed to Manuel, who just gives up big plays. He didn't give up a lot of big plays in Minnesota the last two years. I can only remember a few. There are only a few safeties who are rock solid all around, Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins come to mind. Sharper is still better than average.

the_idle_threat
02-15-2007, 10:52 AM

I don't agree. He gave up some, but he also made big plays. As opposed to Manuel, who just gives up big plays. He didn't give up a lot of big plays in Minnesota the last two years. I can only remember a few. There are only a few safeties who are rock solid all around, Ed Reed and Brian Dawkins come to mind. Sharper is still better than average.

Of course he made big plays. So does Roy Williams. That is what these guys do ... they gamble and make big plays in exchange for giving up other big plays that people forgive and forget because they see him on the highlight reel on ESPN.

I don't know how many big plays he gave up in the past couple of years with the 'queens (although I remember watching with glee as he chased Driver down the field and failed to catch him on that 82-yd TD in the dome this past season) but I do remember him giving up a ton of big plays with the Packers. You're telling me the leopard has changed his spots? I doubt it.

I'm not saying, by the way, that Manuel is better than Sharper. I'm saying that Sharper is not nearly as good as his Pro-Bowl resume makes people (and Sharper) think, and if he's on the market, I think the Packers should let someone else overpay him.

Manuel still needs to be replaced, but Sharper isn't the guy to replace him with.

MadtownPacker
02-15-2007, 11:27 AM
I don't agree. He gave up some, but he also made big plays.
Really? Garbage time INTs count as big plays??

When did this chump, that you love, EVER win a game on a INT?? He could have had 20 INTs for all I care cuz when it came down to the clutch he disappeared, always.

Freak Out
02-15-2007, 11:31 AM
We'll do better without Sharper.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2007, 01:03 PM
The question wasn't asked if we'd overpay for Sharper. It was: would you take him back? If I knew the safeties I really liked (Hamlin, Lewis, Grant) were going to get $5M/year, but Sharper could be had for much cheaper, I'd have no problem taking him back. He'd be an upgrade. Like I've said, there are others that I would take over him, but I'd take Sharper over what we have now. If we can't do better, I'd accept him back. We might not get All-Pro play from him, but we'd at least have a guy that we wouldn't have to worry about all that much. The guy has been a good player. To suggest otherwise I think is a little petty. There was a time he was one of the top handful of safeties in the NFL. He's not that anymore, but he's still better than average (and average is a ton better than Manuel). I have my doubts on whether Underwood and Culver would be any good. What have they done that has shown that they can be a decent starter in the NFL?

the_idle_threat
02-15-2007, 02:11 PM
I don't agree that Sharper was ever one of the top safeties in the game. Maybe I'm spoiled from having seen Leroy Butler play and all, but it seemed like Sharper was not so much a solid player as he was a gambler who made the most of big plays in garbage time and disappeared when the game was on the line.

IMO, Sharper was one of the top safeties in the game like Bubba was once one of the top tight ends in the game. Both were never as good as advertised, but yet they both can boast a history of multiple Pro Bowls.

Bottom line: I don't think Sharper comes back to G.B. unless we overpay him for his "Pro Bowl" past when in fact he was only marginally so then and now isn't anymore. That's why I don't want him back.

The fact that he's a prick and he "burned his bridges" in Green Bay is far less of a factor given the fact that pro football is a business and many of us are ready to embrace Randy Moss, who you would think would be even less welcome.

Merlin
02-15-2007, 02:22 PM
He would be an upgrade over Manual. I worry more about the bridges he burned. I just don't see him having the class or the balls to mend them for a job. I am still pissed we let Roman go. He wasn't the best but he was serviceable and did a decent job in 2005.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2007, 02:50 PM
I didn't mind letting Roman go. He stunk in 2005. He was just okay in 2004. It's just too bad the replacement sucked so bad. Hopefully, we can shore it up.

cpk1994
02-16-2007, 12:10 PM
I don't agree. He gave up some, but he also made big plays.
Really? Garbage time INTs count as big plays??

When did this chump, that you love, EVER win a game on a INT?? He could have had 20 INTs for all I care cuz when it came down to the clutch he disappeared, always.
Not to mention the fact that jus about every one of his INTs was thrown right to him. You never see him get an INT by making a play on the ball. It is floated right to him. Thats not big plays, thats being more lucky than good.

MadtownPacker
02-16-2007, 12:32 PM
Not to mention the fact that jus about every one of his INTs was thrown right to him. You never see him get an INT by making a play on the ball. It is floated right to him. Thats not big plays, thats being more lucky than good.Good point. His maker made him pretty and lucky. But dont tell Harvey "has a #42 sharper jersey he cherishes" Wallbangers that cuz he wont reply to you. :P

KYPack
02-16-2007, 02:51 PM
hmm.....wasn't this once a huge argument between Harv and Mad?

ooops..... :P :wink: haha

Yes it 'twas.

Mad, back off man, you've had your 3 Anti-Sharper comments. That's your quota for a "safety oriented" thread.

Harv, add Bob Sanders to your "rock solid" list. For a little shit, he's a bear.

Sharper? We just can't go back. TT looks to the kids or young vets. Thers's no way he adds a Sharper type. Even without the history.