PDA

View Full Version : What do you follow/ watch in the Packer off-season?

LL2
02-14-2007, 12:30 PM
I know there are other forums on PR for this discussion, but this is Packer related. What sports do you follow during the Packer offseason?

Personally I watch a little of everything. In NASCAR I’ve started to follow Matt Kenseth as he’s from Wisconsin and a Packer fan. In Basketball I’m a Piston’s fan. When I was 16 I moved to Michigan I started going to their games and even went to a NBA finals game when they were the Bad Boys back in 1991. I also loved the hated rivalry they had with the Bulls (it was good to have another Chicago team to hate). While living there I started to follow the Red Wings. Yzerman was an awesome player. Went to a lot of their games to and went to a Stanley Cup game back in the late 90’s. I tend to follow a little golf here and there too. Football has the longest offseason (at least it seems like it), so got to fill it up with other sports.

BallHawk
02-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Brewers baseball from the time the season ends to the time it starts. Hopefully, when football season starts up again in September, the Crew will have something to play for.

I follow basketball, but I'm not diehard or anything, as I am with the Brewers. I stick with the Bucks as my team, but I don't follow them religously, as with the Crew, Packers, and Badgers.

It's actually refreshing to see the Badgers doing as well as they are and getting respect from the national media. Hopefully, we'll see them deep into March Madness.

I'll watch golf in the offseason, too. Mainly, the majors. And that's it, I think.

Spaulding
02-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Outside of the Packers, the only other teams I keep tabs are Badgers football and basketball religiously, some Bucks games but I honestly find the NBA a land of overpaid punks so not much interested. For baseball I've always liked the Brewers and Cubs (worked fine up until the Brewers switched back to the NL and quashed any hopes I had of a Cubs vs. Brewers world series). Guess I'm a glutton for punishment there - either that or it explains why I drink so much beer during the summer months to dull the pain of their losses.

Given my favorite channel to watch is the history channel which is always on, I'm thinking of starting a grass roots campaign to push for a Packers history channel - 24x7. Can it get much better? I think not :D

Tony Oday
02-14-2007, 01:10 PM
I watch the Wild. Watching Hockey is becoming addictive! I also like watching the twins with my little guy because even at 4 months old he LOVED baseball...didnt really like football :(

MJZiggy
02-14-2007, 01:11 PM
I liked baseball before they ruined it. Minor league is still sometimes fun and I do go to majors if someone has tix.

HarveyWallbangers
02-14-2007, 01:43 PM
MLB - #1 Brewers, #2 Cubs
NBA - Bucks
NHL - Kings
College Football - #1 Ohio State and then a few others (LSU, Florida State, Nebraska, Wisconsin)
College Basketball - #1 Duke, #2 Ohio State
College Hockey - Fighting Sioux
Tennis - I watch the big events. Nobody to really root for--now that Agassi is gone. Probably Roddick and Blake.
Golf - I watch quite a bit. #1 Couples. Lumpy Lefty. I'm rooting for David Duval to make a comeback.
NASCAR - #1 Kenseth, #2 Labonte, #3 Edwards, #4 Kahne

Teams that I don't like:
MLB - Yankees
NBA - Lakers, Celtics, Knicks
NHL - Montreal
College Football - Michigan, Texas, USC, Florida
College Basketball - North Carolina
NASCAR - Gordon, Johnson, Busch brothers

Patler
02-14-2007, 02:03 PM
Well, there's the Worlds Strongest Man competitions....;
The Scottish Highland Games competitions.....; and
Championship Poker!

Boy, if those don't get your blood pumping........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

LL2
02-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Championship Poker!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Isn’t there a World Statistics Competition or Etymology Championship for you to watch?

Rastak
02-14-2007, 03:17 PM
Championship Poker!

Nothing like a good caber toss!

Patler
02-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Championship Poker!

Especially difficult to do while wearing a skirt, IF you want to maintain some dignity while doing it!

MJZiggy
02-14-2007, 03:24 PM
Hmmm...what channel is that on? :P :shock:

AtlPackFan
02-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Badger/Marquette basketball, the Brewer baseball inbetween Packer mini camps until training camp starts.

Rastak
02-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Championship Poker!

Especially difficult to do while wearing a skirt, IF you want to maintain some dignity while doing it!

Very good point.

Patler
02-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Hmmm...what channel is that on? :P :shock:

The Scottish Highland games? ESPN, I think.

Men dressed in kilts competing in centuries old competitions relating to war activities. The caber is essentially a telephone pole carried vertically by the competitor with his hands under the bottom end. He runs forward and heaves the pole up and forward, so the top rotates forward and down while the bottom goes up. Ideally after it turns over, the top strrikes the ground and what was the bottom continues forward until the pole hits the ground along its length.

Other games are hammer throws for distance, hammer throws for height, etc.

PackerPro42
02-14-2007, 05:44 PM
I love watching anything Ohio State related, and I really love watching the Cleveland Cavaliers. God, Greg Oden is a beast and LeBron James is the best in the business. LeBron is probably my all time favorite athlete behind Walter Payton and Ronaldinho.

Badgepack
02-14-2007, 06:03 PM
Badger basketball and for that matter college basketball until the Final Four is over. Then TV sports suck. Time to start golfing, playing tennis, grilling, and stuff like that until training camp opens.

MJZiggy
02-14-2007, 06:19 PM
grilling, and stuff like that until training camp opens.

Vino Bianco last night. You ever show up on this end of the country and I'm taking you out to dinner just for that recipe...! :D

Charles Woodson
02-14-2007, 06:25 PM
Teams i like
MLB - Cubs
NBA - Heat
College Football - #1 Florida State, #2 Texas, LSU any team that beats the gators

Teams that I don't like:
MLB - Yankees
College Football - Aubrun, Texas, USC, Florida

Freak Out
02-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Cubs...
World Cup Skiing (Alpine)
Some Bundesliga...

BallHawk
02-14-2007, 06:39 PM
Why so many Cubs fans? People, all Chicago Teams are one common enemy. Don't root for Losers, vote for the Brewers.(Because they are definitely not losers. :wink:

Bretsky
02-14-2007, 06:58 PM
Love Watching the Badgers succeed

Love watching the Cubs consistently choke on their chicken

I pray for the Brewers to see the playoffs some day

RashanGary
02-14-2007, 07:37 PM
I follow the Bucks even though they suck and this summer I think I'm going to take up the Brewers. I've never really been a fan, but once I get into a sport it becomes alot of fun to follow so I think might make the investment this summer.

BallHawk
02-14-2007, 07:47 PM
I follow the Bucks even though they suck and this summer I think I'm going to take up the Brewers. I've never really been a fan, but once I get into a sport it becomes alot of fun to follow so I think might make the investment this summer.

Baseball over the summer has got to be one of the best experiences in all of sports. You become really attached to the team. It is by far more attached than during a football season.

wist43
02-14-2007, 08:09 PM
Love going to Brewer games, even though they usually lose when I go...

Watch just about anything competition related...

Golf addict... for as much as I play, I should be better than an 8 handicap - just goes to show ya, there's no substitute for talent - which, obviously, I don't have.

oregonpackfan
02-14-2007, 08:34 PM
For many years, I enjoyed watching(some years coaching) my daughters' softball, soccer, and basketball games. Besides the activity, it was a fun way to meet and socialize with other parents.

I spent 4 years on the local softball leagues Board of Directors as the Field Maintenance Coordinator. I helped prepare 4 softball diamonds for play. This included mowng, fertilizing, and weeding the grass, landscaping the dirt infields, ordering materials, etc.

For football, I attend the local high school football games. I love the Norman Rockwell small town atmosphere that high school football provides.

Also for football, I watch at least 6-7 Badger games. ESPN and ESPN2 cover a surprising number of Badger games out on the west coast. I also watch most of the Oregon Ducks and Oregon State Beavers games.

For basketball, I follow the Oregon Ducks and an occasional Badger or Marquette game on ESPN. I used to follow the Portland Trailblazers but they well out of favor with me in the late 90's when so many of them became known as the "Jailblazers" for many off the court transgressions with the law.

For baseball, the few times I watch are the Seattle Mariners games.

The Packers remain first and foremost my favorite team to watch.

LL2
02-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Why so many Cubs fans? People, all Chicago Teams are one common enemy. Don't root for Losers, vote for the Brewers.(Because they are definitely not losers. :wink:

For me baseball is my least favorite sport. I follow the Brewers and Cubs even though they are in the same division. I've taken my family to Cubs games the past few years. It's a classic legendary place to spend an afternoon much like Lambeau Field.

Scott Campbell
02-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Why so many Cubs fans? People, all Chicago Teams are one common enemy.

You're a good kid.

Patler
02-14-2007, 09:07 PM
In all honesty, football is not my favorite sport, but the Packers are my favorite team, if that makes any sense. I enjoy other sports more than football, but I do not follow any team in any sport in the same detail as I follow the Packers. Some of that is because I find the business aspect of the NFL to be completely fascinating.

BallHawk
02-14-2007, 09:10 PM
In all honesty, football is not my favorite sport, but the Packers are my favorite team, if that makes any sense. I enjoy other sports more than football, but I do not follow any team in any sport in the same detail as I follow the Packers. Some of that is because I find the business aspect of the NFL to be completely fascinating.

What sports do you prefer to football.

HarveyWallbangers
02-14-2007, 09:15 PM
I follow the Brewers and Cubs even though they are in the same division.

Me too. My Dad and Uncle were big Milwaukee Braves fans. When the Braves left, my Uncle became a Atlanta Braves fan. My Dad pretty much quit watching baseball. I grew up learning about those Braves teams. I chose the Brewers. This was the early 80s (Harvey's Wallbangers). At the same time, when I came home from school every day, the Cubs were usually on. Grew up loving Shawon Dunston, Ryno, Andre Dawson, etc. It was okay for a long time. They were in different leagues. The Brewers had been to one World Series, and the Cubs hadn't even been to one since before my Dad was born. The chances of them playing each other was equivalent to me winning the lottery. Of course, they ended up putting them in the same division. I still like them both, but I would pick the Brewers over the Cubs if the ever met in the playoffs.

Bretsky
02-14-2007, 09:19 PM

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

GBRulz
02-14-2007, 09:37 PM
I cannot stand the NBA, but I love college hoops, especially March Madness!

Being a Red Sox fan I follow them as well.

Patler
02-14-2007, 09:42 PM

What sports do you prefer to football.

Hockey is #1, but because of my long personal involvement with it at many levels it is not a fair comparison.

I prefer continuous action sports, even soccer. The start and stop nature of football, with 10 seconds of activity followed by 40 seconds of inactivity tends to lose my attention, so I do other things while I watch football.

From all this you might think I would enjoy basketball, but I hate the NBA. I enjoy sports where success is harder to come by. How can you get excited when a basket is scored when the teams will collectively score 200 points? Besides, the NBA has lost the team concept. All it is is one on one match-ups. No ball movement like with the great teams in the 1960s and '70s.

As an even further contradiction, I can enjoy baseball, but only with a group of friends as a social outing with the game as the background.

MadtownPacker
02-14-2007, 09:51 PM
I prefer continuous action sports, even soccer.
You make me sick.

Zool
02-15-2007, 08:45 AM
I prefer continuous action sports, even soccer.
You make me sick.

Soccer....PFFFFT

NASCAR is continuous action but I'm not watching that either.

Scott Campbell
02-15-2007, 08:48 AM
Utah Jazz. NCAA tournament. Gave up baseball cold turkey after the 95 strike, so I have a lot more free time come summer time.

woodbuck27
02-15-2007, 09:16 AM
MLB. . . the . . . ' the whatever ' :) Angels. I love Vladimir Guerrero almost as much as Brett Favre.

NBA. . . the Boston Celtics and the Phoenix Suns (Steve Nash of course).

NHL. . . the woeful of late Montreal Canadians. The pressure on the teams management and players by the fans and media in Montreal, is as intense as it's reported as being. A real pressure cooker.

Partial
02-15-2007, 09:23 AM
College Hockey is probably the premiere sport to watch. College basketball and football are next. All three trump the NFL, NBA and NHL. My favorite sports teams are the Bucks, the Packers, and the Badgers.

The kid next to me smells like marijuana.

SudsMcBucky
02-15-2007, 01:01 PM
I follow college basketball closely through the Final 4. Then, I will watch a lot of NASCAR, at least on "bad weather" weekends when I can't get out on the boat. Other than, couldn't care about anything one way or the other until fall practice starts again for UW!

superfan
02-15-2007, 07:52 PM
Definitely love March Madness, and the Badgers specifically. Watch as much of the golf majors as I can. Root for the Brewers, Bucks but don't follow those teams extensively.

After March Madness, more or less just waiting for Badger and Packer football to start up once again.

Brando19
02-15-2007, 07:54 PM
The closest thing to a sport I'll be watching is WWE :P

Jerry Tagge
02-15-2007, 09:36 PM
I try to find ways to keep bread from popping out of the toaster. :mrgreen:

Teams I follow in other sports:

NBA - Boston Celtics (finally won a game!)

College basketball - Marquette

Baseball - Baltimore Orioles

Hockey - Montreal Canadiens (when I can actually find one on TV)

I don't follow any of the other teams nearly as close as I follow the Packers other than Marquette, and they're a distant second.

I like to fill my time by driving around and stopping to get gas at every gas station. I usually don't spend more than $5 on gas.

I also like to go to the $1 store and ask, "How much does this cost?" I do that with every item.

I don't watch golf, auto racing, soccer, women's basketball, lacrosse, or poker. I may watch an occasional beach volleyball game, but it's for competitive purposes only. It has nothing to do with if the women are hot.

FavreChild
02-15-2007, 11:13 PM
College hoops

PBA

(I can't believe no one else respects the bowlers???)

MadtownPacker
02-15-2007, 11:18 PM
WHHHAT!!!!!!!!?? FC?? WHats up GF??????

b bulldog
02-16-2007, 09:48 PM
football 24/7, the wife says I need a life.

FavreChild
02-16-2007, 11:37 PM
WHHHAT!!!!!!!!?? FC?? WHats up GF??????

I'll tell you what's up - the folks round these here parts just don't respect the Pack lke we do.

BUT - the true Green Bay fans here in PA are awestruck over how priveleged the PR fans are in terms of insider info, Kudos to all!!!

FavreChild
02-16-2007, 11:40 PM
However, I do highly recommend the PBA in terms of wintretime entertainment value. Some of the best personalities in sports: PDW, Jason Couch, Danny Wiseman, Billy Oatman, Tony Reyes, Major Mika...yep, I'm a dork! 8)

See y'all at the draft!

billy_oliver880
02-17-2007, 12:24 AM
I watch the NCAA b-ball tourney and after that...I ride my motorcycle alot on weekend.

VermontPackFan
02-18-2007, 12:33 PM
As the good people of Wisconsin know full well, as it is in Vermont, you have to have some hobbies in the Winter, drinking will only take you so far. We ski, ice fish, snowshoe...all while drinking mind you.

To pass time until the NFL starts up again, I watch:

University of Vermont hockey
Big East College basketball
NY Yankee baseball

things I will not watch:

televised golf
nascar (its just not a sport)
NBA basketball