PDA

View Full Version : The ongoing Dynasty of the Wolf/Holmgren era

gureski
02-14-2007, 12:31 PM
Forgive me if this has already been spoken about. I did a search and didn't see anything recently on this subject.

Upon hearing the news that Mike Reinfeldt was announced as the GM of the Titans I began thinking about how amazing the staff was back in the Wolf/Holmgren era.

We've heard and seen stories gallore regarding all the future head coaches and coordinators that were on Holmgren's staff but only over the past few years are we seeing the other side of that dynasty.....the front office.

Looking back, Reinfeldt is now a GM. Ted Thompson is now a GM. Andy Reid is a GM (or acting in that position). Holmgren was a GM. Reggie McKenzie continues to draw interest and may yet find a GM job in the next couple years. June Jones joined the Packers during the hey-day and now he's set to take over the whole organization. Maybe some people can add to this list. I think we even had a guy from our grounds crew take over duties for another NFL team but I'm not 100% sure. That may have been a member or relative of the Brewers grounds crew. Maybe someone else can confirm this. It's not the kind of thing that really sticks with you. I faintly remember the story.

The point of this whole thing is just to think back about how impressive a collection of talents the Packers had in the 90's. The coaches thus far have received all the press but if you look deeper into the organization, it's just as impressive, if not more. It only further cements what a special collection of talent Wolf and Holmgren assembled during that tenure. We may never see that again.

swede
02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Hey, Gureski! Welcome back. I hope you haven't dropped by to make me eat Craig Nall crowmeat. :lol:

You bring up an interesting point. People like to draw out the coaching family trees of HC's such as Walsh, Shanahan, and the Big Tuna. But front offices that do their jobs without getting in the way of the coaching talent are pretty valuable as well. Consider how smoothly Green Bay has run since Bob Harlan took around '90 and then compare GB to disastrous Front Offices in places such as Detroit, Oakland and Washington. We even eased in and out of the Sherman era without too much chaos--only the black eye of a 4-12 season to show for it.

I get more nervous about losing our front office people than I would about losing any one of our current coaching staff.

gureski
02-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Nope. There is no Nall-Crow left to eat. It has to be gone by now.

Then again, he does have those big hands.....???? :idea: