PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Schottenheimer to Chargers?!?

Brando19
02-14-2007, 01:04 PM
Wondering why the San Diego Chargers so abruptly fired coach Marty Schottenheimer on Monday?

He was considering hiring his brother, Kurt — the Green Bay Packers' defensive backs coach — as defensive coordinator.

That was the last straw for team President Dean Spanos and General Manager A.J. Smith, the San Diego Union-Tribune reported Tuesday.

In a meeting early Monday afternoon, they told Schottenheimer they didn't approve of his plans to interview his brother. Schottenheimer, in turn, insisted he could hire his staff as he saw fit.

Shortly before 5 p.m. Monday, Spanos fired Schottenheimer, who wasn't getting along with Smith anyway.

Since the end of a season in which they went 14-2 and won the AFC West but lost at home in their first playoff game, the Chargers have lost their offensive and defensive coordinators, their linebackers and tight ends coaches and their assistant strength and conditioning coach.

Kurt Schottenheimer, often criticized for his unit's performance, is going into his third season with the Packers. He spent the 2004 season in Green Bay, then was fired by former coach Mike Sherman, then was rehired by coach Mike McCarthy last season.

Wow...I guess brotherly love got Marty in trouble...or the unemployment line.

pbmax
02-14-2007, 01:40 PM
It too bad we didn't get to enjoy the addition by subtraction this move would have delivered.

Tony Oday
02-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Im sure we could send a 7th rounder to them too :)

LL2
02-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Well screw AJ Smith for ruining our chance for sending Shotty on the next plane out of town!!!

4and12to12and4
02-14-2007, 06:03 PM
This is purely quessing, but knowing that the GM and marty had a bad relationship, I wonder if he wanted Philipps to be the coach and when he lost him (and every other friggin coach on the staff) I think it just pissed off everybody in the organization that they lost him because Marty was "in the way." Just a couple of thoughts: I think it's funny how just about every coach in the league at some point or another in the season gets criticized for not sticking with the run, yet the coach that always has gets the label "marty ball." Just a thought. Another thought: Marty wanted to keep Drew Brees, and the owner and GM decided to let him go. Can you imagine how good the Chargers would have been this year with Drew behind center? Holy Crap!!! Not taking anything away from Philly Waters, but I think with Brees they would have won the whole thing. So, they get rid of him, against Marty's will, and he still leads the team to 14 wins, and gets canned. Wow!! What a league.

BooHoo
02-14-2007, 08:18 PM
It would have been good to see Kurt go.

HarveyWallbangers
02-14-2007, 09:08 PM
Dem Bastards!