PDA

View Full Version : Henderson retiring?

Brando19
02-15-2007, 12:08 PM
From KFFL:
Bob McGinn, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports Green Bay Packers head coach Mike McCarthy believes FB William Henderson will return to play another season in 2007. "I think he wants to play," McCarthy said. "I don't know too many guys that don't want to play." Henderson, who turns 36 this year, has pondered retirement in recent years. He has one year remaining on his contract.
From SI:
Packers fullback William Henderson turns 36 next week and hinted after the season that he might retire. But with Brett Favre returning, coach Mike McCarthy has little doubt that Henderson would like to play a 13th season.

red
02-15-2007, 12:19 PM
why would he stay?

he played very little last year

i love the guy, always had, but unlike favre, i think its time for him to retire

unless we plan on him being our starting FB this year

gureski
02-15-2007, 12:36 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$

He hasn't been amongst the highest paid players on the team so financial security would be one big reason to stick for another year. If he can still contribute in some fashion and the team will have him, why not. At the very least, he provides positive leadership and mentoring to the other players in the lockerroom.

The real question would by why the team would want him back if he can't contribute more then leadership. They can hire him as an assistant to the RB's if all they want him for is his leadership. I'd think the coach and GM would need him to at least perform at the level of special teams in order to give him a roster spot.

red
02-15-2007, 12:36 PM
i would rather see him as a coach on this team at this point

woodbuck27
02-15-2007, 12:49 PM
why would he stay?

he played very little last year

i love the guy, always had, but unlike favre, i think its time for him to retire

unless we plan on him being our starting FB this year

I believe that this story will take some time to play out. In the end the Green Bay Organization will find a place for William Henderson.

HarveyWallbangers
02-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Why wouldn't he? Collect $1M for playing very little. Actually, I think he played more than you think. I thought I read that him and Miree ended up playing about the same number of snaps.

Packnut
02-15-2007, 01:10 PM
If he plays for the Vet minimum, keep him around.

MJZiggy
02-15-2007, 01:29 PM
You guys are obsessed with the vet minimum. He is under contract for $820K this year. He will either play for that, retire, or get cut and play for a different team.

Brando19
02-15-2007, 01:39 PM
You guys are obsessed with the vet minimum. He is under contract for $820K this year. He will either play for that, retire, or get cut and play for a different team.

With a $100,000 workout bonus.

red
02-15-2007, 01:39 PM

lol, i think that is about the vet minimum for a guy thats been in the league as long as him

MJZiggy
02-15-2007, 01:52 PM
And if he's willing to play for it, then TT did his job well.

Packnut
02-15-2007, 02:03 PM

Vet minimum is $750k. The $70k difference is CHUMP change in NFL standards.

Merlin
02-15-2007, 02:28 PM
William Henderson brings a lot of things to the team that you can't measure. He's got class, leadership and a great attitude. I think him not being used much last season was a mistake. No fullback in the NFL is better out of the backfield then Henderson. He still blocks well and is a monster on special teams. For his age, he is a great player. While he may not fit the ZBS well (although I think he did a better job at adjusting then anyone else), he has talent. McCarthy should move him to Tight End. He has great hands and is a load to bring down.

As far as believing he should retire, then Favre should to.

They aren't what they used to be but they ARE good football players by any standards and any NFL team would take either one of them RIGHT NOW.

Yeah, that sounds like he is washed up to me....um NOT.

Brando19
02-15-2007, 02:37 PM
William Henderson brings a lot of things to the team that you can't measure. He's got class, leadership and a great attitude. I think him not being used much last season was a mistake. No fullback in the NFL is better out of the backfield then Henderson. He still blocks well and is a monster on special teams. For his age, he is a great player. While he may not fit the ZBS well (although I think he did a better job at adjusting then anyone else), he has talent. McCarthy should move him to Tight End. He has great hands and is a load to bring down.

They aren't what they used to be but they ARE good football players by any standards and any NFL team would take either one of them RIGHT NOW.

Favre has played at a high level his entire career. This past year, Henderson went downhill and lost his starting job. To say Favre should retire if Henderson does is not a good comparison.

packinpatland
02-15-2007, 03:04 PM
Was it Miree that replaced Henderson temporarily? Didn't William finish the season as a starter? I'm thinking AG might not have gotten 1000+ yds, had it not been for this fullback doing such a good job blocking.
William has no equal in the class department. 100% genuine.

gureski
02-15-2007, 03:26 PM

The key to this debate is him playing at FB. You admit he's not a good fit for the ZBS and say he should be moved to TE while proclaiming Henderson is one of the best FB's in the league?

You may want to rethink your defense here.

Henderson is not a TE and if he's having problems in the zone-blocking system where he gets a running start on his man, how will lining up closer to the line as a TE help his blocking?

Henderson is absolutely a fan favorite. Sure he has class but can he still block in the system the team is running? That's the real issue. From what I saw last year, he struggled. It was a big drop-off in performance. You can't keep him if he can't help the team on the field. If that's the case and Henderson is unable to help on special teams or significantly at FB, then make him a coach.

gureski
02-15-2007, 03:41 PM
I thought I'd post this to further this debate:

This is from the ESPN Sportsnation chat with KC Joyner

Rick (Milwaukee, WI): Odd question here but it's to settle a debate. What do you see from Packers FB William Henderson last season? Should he hang it up or give it another go?

KC Joyner: (4:40 PM ET ) I'll put it this way: Henderson wasn't out there enough to make a strong impression. The Pack should probably move on.