PDA

View Full Version : T.T. Transcript put together by me....

RashanGary
04-24-2006, 02:13 PM
Do you have a particular focus?

No and we never have. We focus on getting the board right....Right now we fine tune our opinions on players.

What are the strongest and what are the weakest position in the draft?

DB’s LB’s DL RB QB *good at the top* OL *depth* TE *Srong* WR *Depth as good as he’s seen*

When your at 25 there are a lot of sinerios. When you’re at 5 do you eliminate those sinerios?

No...Not really. We rate all players because anything can happen. We could end up at 25 ect.....

Have you recieved calls on your pick?

I will not comment. We do get calls from time to time. We’ll probably talk to every team at some point before the draft. You have to be prepared for anything because anything can happen.

If you get offered a couple high day 1 picks for your #5 overall how do you view that? Would you rather have multiple high picks as opposed to just one player?

In my view if you have a chance to get a remarkable player you take the player. If you can take a similar player by moving backwards it makes it easier. We’re gonna have a chance to get a pretty good player no matter how it falls.

What do you think of A.J. Hawk from Ohio State?

He’s a very fine player. He’s been a top player for a long time.

If you wind up taking a QB will it be a tough sell to the fans. Do you consider the fans opinions?

I don’t. I probably should but I don’t. I’ve said this before but you have to do what you think is best. You have to take the best player available. When you stray form that you make mistakes.

...........................................???

I do. I do. #1 there is a certainty that there is going to be a very good player at #5. A lot of times people want to trade back. It’s difucult to do. You have to have a trading partner and somebody really has to want your pick. There are not that many people who are willing to come up at the high price.

With the uncertainty at QB and WR impact you in any way?

No. I don’t think it can or it should. The draft is a long term commitment to the future. you have to look at it from the long term view.

How do you weigh out your coaches view vs scouts?

We value our coaches opinoins. They have to coach them and get them ready. We consider the type of players they like. We put a lot of weight in our personell dept’s view as well. In the end its my decision but we take everyones point of view into consideration. The people who disagree with me don’t get as much consideration but they get some. *he didn’t even laugh when he said that*

How much pressure is there with the #5 pick?

Well, I guess there should be. I don’t feel that way. If teams want to trade up they might get anxious...I don’t feel pressure more this year than last year.

Do you think there are Oline man who could compete to start in this draft?

I think the group is strong this year. I think there is a chance we could get one. It’s difficult to come in and play right away.

QB?

Sure..there is a chance

When evaluating top guys what did you get from prodays that you didn’t at the combine?

Not much often times. Sometimes you get to be more personal with them. You just watch them compete.

Do you feel like the prodays are set up to highlight the players strengths?

Very much so. They run with the wind to their back. They set it up beneficial to the player. Most of the time big time places like Miami go strait to the football. They are valuable but we won’t draft a palyer based only on a proday.

Was it a tough decision on Murphy?

I’ll say this...I’m hesitant to speak on anothers medical situation. It was the right decision in our opinion.

That hurts your 05 draft class...

I suppose..but this was more of a personal decision.

How many players do you look at? How much time to you spend?

I’ve looked at every player that will be drafted at one time or another. We spend an inordinate amount of time on tape for about seasons end and earlier. We watch a lot of tape.

Do you want to turn 7 into 11

I think most teams would rather have more. Some have less and want more. More times than not we’ll stay put.

There have been other mentalities that trade up and send multiple picks for a player. Do you let the board fall to you more or less as opposed to being aggressive with what you need or want?

I guess sometimes but if there is only one guy who is head and shoulders above the rest in your opinion then maybe you move some picks and get him. It gives you more flexibility to move around. 5 orig picks are able be traded the other 2 are untradeable.

Javon Walker said he does not want to be in GB have you spoken to him. Could there be a trade.

I’ve spoken to him. I know things get said from time to time and I think the less I say the better.

Do you think it was out of frustration on his part?

I couldn’t presume to speak on his behalf. Javon is a bright man and I’ll leave it to him to relate his thoughts.

Would this team welcome him back?

I would. I’m sure the team would. He’s very well liked here.

Charles woodson anything?

No nothing to report. It’s scary sometimes. There are still conversations going on.

What about LA?

FA is FA and players can more or less pick where they choose to go. We had good conversations with Lavar. At the end of the day he chose a city closer to his home. It’s also in the east. He likes to play his former team twice per year. Lavar made his choice I can’t say exactly why.

In some ways if Favres indecision hurting the team with FA?

I don’t know that. There are all kinds of reasons a player will go to a team or stay with a team. You could poll FA’s but I couldn’t speculate on that.

......??

I don’t expect it....??

Are you considering calling Brett to tell him it would be beneficial to know this weekend? Or are you going to wait for him...

We’ve been waiting for him for a while. I’m not anticipating an answer but it woudlnt’ surprise me.

Are you going to call and ask him?

I could. I havn’t really thought about it.

Does he need to be here?

We want all of our players here for mini camp?

Is it frustrating as this lingers on?

I suppose it is a little. It probably is for Brett. I think it even is for you guys sometimes. It is what it is. He’s reached a certain position in this game and we have a lot of respect for him and his family.

No..The way I look at this is; Brett is an outstanding player and we want him at QB. There will be a day when he retires. We draft for the long term no matter what. What he does makes no difference.

Considering your finiancial situaiotn don’t you think this would have been a good year to open up the pocket book?

I think FA is an interesting tool to patch holes. We’ve made and will continue to make strides at things. I think sometimes people have a misrepresentation of what we’re trying to do Again, sometimes the palyer makes a choice based on other things. We’re investing in a player. If we don’t think the player is goign to perform to his contract we’re not going to spend just to spend.

How long are you willing to wait?

I know he’ll make his decision. It won’t be an issue.

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Thank god I didn't have to listen to him. I don't understand why he just doesn't shove the microphone up his ass and fart. It would be more informative than what is coming out of his mouth.

I expected nothing else.

RashanGary
04-24-2006, 02:32 PM
What are you guys hoping for? He pretty much laid out his strategy as far as how he's going to approach the draft. The fact is the strategy is to remain flexible. I don't think he's blowing smoke up our asses like ND tends to think. ND and others continually state that he knows what positions he needs and he's going to focus on them. I don't know how many times Thompson can say he doesn't do that for people to stop thinking there is some sort of grand plan or deception that he continues to feed month after month and now year after year. He consistantly says needs mentality hurts and best player helps. He's never said anything different.

Thompson doesn't have ONE guy that he wants. He's not like most fans here who think it's all or nothing. He rates each player and then takes whoevers highest when it's his turn. The problem here is everyone thinks they know what he should do and they want a hint that he is thinking just like them. The fact is; he isn't in love with one player or position. He's not secretly hoping a certain guy falls to him. He's going to see what happens and make the best decisions one at a time as they arise. His guess as to who the best player is when he picks is as good as ours. He works pretty hard on his draft board. It would be pretty stupid to show the whole world who he has ranked above who. I get a lot of comfort listening to him because I can see how his mentality will bring us to the promise land.

Murphy37
04-24-2006, 02:33 PM
Thank god I didn't have to listen to him. I don't understand why he just doesn't shove the microphone up his ass and fart. It would be more informative than what is coming out of his mouth.

I expected nothing else.

Usually there is some food fragments left on the microphone after pulling it out of the rectum. So yes it can be informative as far as figuring out what the subject has consumed during feeding times the previous day. The range of volume and length of the gas release can also be telling. Also, how easily the microphone fit in the anus can shed some light on sexual orientation.

Partial
04-24-2006, 02:54 PM
Collins,

that is too simplified of an approach though.

Say all the top 5 are blue chip prospects. They are all very likely to be pro bowl players and its very difficult to judge whom is the best of them, but it is very easy to tell they will all be good players.

What do you do in that situation. You need to look at team needs as well. Nothing is ever cut and dry like that. Thomson definitely factors in team needs. He won't survive if he doesn't.

Deputy Nutz
04-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Collins, did you notice that he like every GM at this stage is only protecting his hand? I would much rather him come out and say, "I got a draft plan set in place, but I am sure as shit not telling you fuckers any of it."

Instead of listening to a half hour press conference guys like Jason Wilde and Tom Silverstein could have gone and had a nice lunch.

Anyways thanks for putting it together, in no way am I ripping your fine reporting skills.

MJZiggy
04-24-2006, 03:08 PM
To his credit, he did open by saying this was the press conference that they wanted and it''s pretty slow so he had nothing new to say. They could have skipped out to Denny's at that point...

Thanks for posting the content.

Rastak
04-24-2006, 03:10 PM
To his credit, he did open by saying this was the press conference that they wanted and it''s pretty slow so he had nothing new to say. They could have skipped out to Denny's at that point...

Don't bring your laptop to Denny's though...... :shock:

MJZiggy
04-24-2006, 03:17 PM
A better copy usually shows up in the media section within a couple hours of the conference. I just didn't want to dedicate another half hour of my life to this--though he did make a joke that I missed and it's so rare that he relaxes enough to play during these things, I'm curious what he found funny.

Guiness
04-24-2006, 03:31 PM

?

MJZiggy
04-24-2006, 03:34 PM
LOL

Rastak
04-24-2006, 03:36 PM

?

Ricky Manning Jr beat a dude unconcious at a Denny's after hasseling the guy about his laptop this weekend. Too late for the Bears to back out now on their offer now...LOL....

billy_oliver880
04-24-2006, 03:39 PM

?

Ricky Manning Jr beat a dude unconcious at a Denny's after hasseling the guy about his laptop this weekend. Too late for the Bears to back out now on their offer now...LOL....

Them laptops can really insite some anger eh? :lol:

MJZiggy
04-24-2006, 03:42 PM
See? I missed the point of that. I thought you were talking about the lousy connection.

billy_oliver880
04-24-2006, 03:45 PM
See? I missed the point of that. I thought you were talking about the lousy connection.

Or the waiter or waitress spilling your drinks on it. :lol:

GBRulz
04-24-2006, 04:47 PM

Or the waiter or waitress spilling your drinks on it. :lol:

that's the SCENARIO that I was thinking!

retailguy
04-24-2006, 05:06 PM
Collins,

Say all the top 5 are blue chip prospects. They are all very likely to be pro bowl players and its very difficult to judge whom is the best of them, but it is very easy to tell they will all be good players.

What do you do in that situation. You need to look at team needs as well. Nothing is ever cut and dry like that. Thomson definitely factors in team needs. He won't survive if he doesn't.

No offense Partial, but I think you've got the "simplified analysis". As I understand it, players are ranked and given a "number grade". Theoretically, you choose the player with the highest number. While I agree that you should give leeway for players you "need", if you do that, what happens if the same position of need has a player "fall to you". Now what do you do? Usual answer - Make a mistake.

Lets just say D'brick falls to Pack along with Vince Young and AJ Hawk. AJ represents a "position of need". Say the grades are similar, but D'brick has the "highest grade". If you don't pick him and you pick Hawk, then what?

In the lower round, what do you do, if another LB falls to you. Take him too? Then at the end of the day, you've got 7 lb's (in this case that might be OK, however :lol: ) you get my point.

Taking the "best player" means taking the best player. Even if you don't need him today. Could TT be B.S.ing us? You bet, but when was the last time anyone ever caught him B.S.ing anyone? So far, the guy means what he says, and he is consistent to a fault.

At this point, I believe him, and expect him to do EXACTLY what he said today. That probably means we'll end up with 4 offensive tackles and 3 quarterbacks...

retailguy
04-24-2006, 05:08 PM
BTW, thanks for posting the readable version.... Ricky Manning smashed my laptop earlier today, and my speakers are broken, along with the "A" key :wink:

Scott Campbell
04-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Collins,

Look back at what he actually said. Thompson drafts for the long term. "Needs" are typically short term problems.

Guiness
04-24-2006, 08:06 PM
?

wow. don't know what else to say.

You almost have to pity those witless Bears. They're so busy beating themselves... :roll:

The Carolina Panthers declined to match the Bears' offer sheet to cornerback Ricky Manning Jr.,

Duh