PDA

View Full Version : Pack to draft Tyler first round?

Brando19
02-15-2007, 01:15 PM
I found this mock draft on ProFootballTalk.com

1. Oakland Raiders: JaMarcus Russell, quarterback, LSU.

2. Detroit Lions: Joe Thomas, offensive tackle, Wisconsin.

3. Cleveland Browns: Jamaal Anderson, defensive end, Arkansas.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Calvin Johnson, wide receiver, Georgia Tech.

5. Arizona Cardinals: Alan Branch, defensive tackle, Michigan.

6. Washington Redskins: Gaines Adams, defensive end, Clemson.

7. Minnesota Vikings: Brady Quinn, quarterback, Notre Dame.

8. Houston Texans: Adrian Peterson, running back, Oklahoma.

9. Miami Dolphins: Ted Ginn, Jr., wide receiver, Ohio State.

10. Atlanta Falcons: LaRon Landry, defensive back, LSU.

11. San Francisco 49ers: Amobi Okoye, defensive tackle, Louisville.

12. Buffalo Bills: Dwayne Bowe, wide receiver, LSU.

13. St. Louis Rams: Reggie Nelson, defensive back, Florida.

14. Carolina Panthers: Robert Meacham, wide receiver, Tennessee.

15. Pittsburgh Steelers: Levi Brown, offensive tackle, Penn State.

16. Green Bay Packers: DeMarcus Tyler, defensive tackle, North Carolina State.

17. Jacksonville Jaguars: Jarvis Moss, defensive end, Florida.

18. Cincinnati Bengals: Leon Hall, defensive back, Michigan.

19. Tennessee Titans: Lawrence Timmons, linebacker, Florida State.

20. New York Giants: Craig Davis, wide receiver, LSU.

21. Denver Broncos: Marshawn Lynch, running back, California.

22. Dallas Cowboys: Anthony Gonzalez, wide receiver, Ohio State.

23. Kansas City Chiefs: Patrick Willis, linebacker, Mississippi.

24. New England Patriots (from Seattle): Arron Sears, offensive tackle, Tennessee.

25. New York Jets: Ben Grubbs, guard, Auburn.

26. Philadelphia Eagles: Zach Miller, tight end, Arizona State.

27. New Orleans Saints: Eric Wright, cornerback, UNLV.

28. New England Patriots: Aaron Ross, cornerback, Texas.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Anthony Spencer, defensive end, Purdue.

30. San Diego Chargers: Adam Carriker, defensive end, Nebraska.

31. Chicago Bears: Darrelle Revis, defensive back, Pittsburgh.

32. Indianapolis Colts: Joe Staley, offensive tackle, Central Michigan.

Packnut
02-15-2007, 01:19 PM
No way we need to draft a DT.

billy_oliver880
02-15-2007, 01:33 PM
I didn't think we had a problem at dt???

Brando19
02-15-2007, 01:38 PM
I don't understand this one either.

MTPackerfan
02-15-2007, 02:38 PM
No way do we draft a DT in first round. More likely a RB, WR or Safety/DB

MJZiggy
02-15-2007, 03:07 PM
He will draft BPA. He always does.

Packnut
02-15-2007, 03:13 PM

BPA is the biggest BS in the NFL. Most teams draft for need.

MJZiggy
02-15-2007, 03:49 PM
We needed Rodgers at the time?

RashanGary
02-15-2007, 03:55 PM
BPA is the biggest BS in the NFL. Most teams draft for need.

I agree with Ziggy. He'll go BPA.

wist43
02-15-2007, 04:00 PM
We're fairly solid at DT... however, none of them are special.

Teams don't have to "account" for anyone... if there were a DT that could consistently disrupt the pocket, eat up blockers, and showed good movement skills - you have to take a guy like that, if he's available to you.

That said, I know nothing about Tyler... not making a comment on him - just a general observation.

Partial
02-15-2007, 04:18 PM
We're fairly solid at DT... however, none of them are special.

Teams don't have to "account" for anyone... if there were a DT that could consistently disrupt the pocket, eat up blockers, and showed good movement skills - you have to take a guy like that, if he's available to you.

That said, I know nothing about Tyler... not making a comment on him - just a general observation.

I know that that would make an average team produce 4 first round linemen in two years, including the top overall pick last year. No way do I want him.

red
02-15-2007, 04:19 PM
i don't think this guy would be BPA, and we sure as hell don't need another dt

i don't see why we would do this

Cheesehead Craig
02-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Don't want Tyler, he would be a luxury pick, if this scenario unfolded, I'd rather trade down a couple of spots and take Miller at TE.

wist43
02-15-2007, 04:36 PM
I don't know anything about the guy, but you can't just dismiss a position b/c you already have talent there - unless you had all-pro talent across the board at a given position - but who has that???

What if Tommie Harris, or Kevin Williams, or Shaun Rogers were available??? Any one of those guys would immediately take the Packers defensive front from being just ok, to being pretty damn tough.

That said, of course the Packers have a multitude of other needs, and they have to give those positions serious consideration b/4 looking at DT.

red
02-15-2007, 04:44 PM
a lot if not all of the mocks i've seen don't even have him going in the first

remember, the guy that did that mock HATES the packers, and wants nothing more then to see him fail

i bet he would love it if the pack reaches to take a guy they don't need with their first pick

i don't think theres is no way we draft this guy. he made that pick to piss off packer fans

i do agree with you somewhat wist. we have some talent on the line, and if a sure fire great prospect comes a long jump on it. the only one i would do that with is the 19 year old from louisville, okoye. if he dropped into our lap, i wouldn't mind. the rest of the d-linemen don't excite me that much

Joemailman
02-15-2007, 05:07 PM
If the Packers are set on moving Jenkins to DE, Tyler could be a possibility. Guys like Corey Williams are very good role players, but may not be ready to step in full time. Tyler does have some pass rush ability. It is possible TT could trade down and still get him. Here is the Sporting News profile on Tyler:

DeMarcus Tyler
DT, NC State

War Room analysis
Against the run: Consistently stands his ground against one-on-one blocks. Sheds blocks quickly, and makes tackles on runs at him. Shoots gaps, and makes plays in the backfield. Is good at accelerating to full speed and chasing down running backs outside. Grade: 8.0

Pass rush: Consistently is the first defensive lineman moving at the snap, and pounces on offensive linemen before they get set. Bursts off the snap to get underneath blockers and drive them into the quarterback. Has a variety of quick moves. Pressures quarterbacks consistently. Grade: 8.5

Initial quickness: Moves quickly at the snap, allowing him to defeat offensive linemen in a variety of ways. Gets underneath reach blocks, chases running backs on plays away from him and shoots gaps to blow up plays in the backfield. Grade: 9.0

Run/pass recognition: Diagnosis plays quickly, and has the speed and burst to make the play. Rarely gets fooled by play-action fakes or misdirection runs; makes a lot of play while teammates are lost. Grade: 8.0

Pursuit/tackling: Gets a good jump, and shows the burst to finish the play. Is athletic enough to make tackles on the move, but occasionally runs too upright in pursuit and overruns the ball. Grade: 7.5

Bottom line: Tyler is an interesting prospect because he improved more between his junior and senior seasons than any player we can remember. In games we graded during his junior year, he was involved in the tackle on one of every 19.4 plays, which is terrible. As a senior, that number jumped to one of every 7.8 snaps, which is excellent for a defensive tackle. We always are wary of players who improve so greatly as a senior, but Tyler appears to be legitimate. His strong week at the Senior Bowl eased concerns about his ability to produce in the NFL. Tyler will need a season or two to adjust to the NFL but will become a good starter who could excel in any scheme.

Freak Out
02-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Golden Boy III drops to the freaking Queens? Ha.....

Fritz
02-16-2007, 09:24 AM
I don't know anything about the guy, but you can't just dismiss a position b/c you already have talent there - unless you had all-pro talent across the board at a given position - but who has that???

What if Tommie Harris, or Kevin Williams, or Shaun Rogers were available??? Any one of those guys would immediately take the Packers defensive front from being just ok, to being pretty damn tough.

That said, of course the Packers have a multitude of other needs, and they have to give those positions serious consideration b/4 looking at DT.

Wist, a momentous occasion has occurred: we agree on something. I'm happy to be able to say such a thing.

ND72
02-16-2007, 12:33 PM

I've said this before...from talking to a buddy of mine who used to scout in the NFL for GB, every draft he's sat in through, even Thompson has stated they draft the Best Player available, at their Biggest Need. Last year, Thompson rated the LB as their biggest need in round 1, they took Hawk. With Rodgers pick, my friend said they didn't have one single position listed as an extensive need, but his VALUE was more than any need on their board. He said just like Wolfe, Thompson has a ranking for every position. Last year he said Mario Williams had a 2-10 value, while Vince Young, Matt Leinart, and AJ Hawk had a 1-6 value. Rodgers was listed as a 2-10 value on their board, so at the time of the pick, at #24, that's a large value for the pick. many of you don't agree i'm sure with the value part...but that's the way it goes. remember, if Rodgers had agreed on a contract with SF, he was going to be taken #1, he refused his contract offer, so they offered to Smith, and he accepted.

Creepy
02-16-2007, 02:12 PM
I don't understand the reasoning inthis mock draft. Lets just take a look at a few and see why,

Raiders take a QB - This makes sense, they haven't had a decnet QB since gannon retired.

Lions an OT: Lions need more than just an OT, they need a new QB or RB. Jones is not the answer and an OT is not going to make the run game that much better. Lions would be better off trading down within the top ten and picking up an extra #2.

Browns a DE: This team has a good TE and that is it. The QB situation is in flux and Droughns is not the answer at RB. They will take a RB or QB, thisis anotherteam that may trade down for more picks.

Bucs a WR: Oh yeah! Simms get a top flight #1 WR opposite Galloway. Simms would rather see them get an OT as he already lost his spleen and would like to keep whats left.

Cards a DT: Possibly,, they are already set on offense they just need a HC who can get going.

Redskins a DE: OK, they need some OL help also.

Vikings a QB:
This would be the Vikings second #1 draft pick be a QB. Vikings are a team with the right incentive would be willing to trade down.

My rpoblem with this mock draft is I feel the Browns, Lions, Raiders and Bucaneers may be looking at a QB. One of these teams will make that adjustment by trading for Carr. I think the draft is a little more unsettled this year as the top teams drafting need more than one player and are uncertain as to who to get. IMHO, GB should go for a receiving TE or DB in the first two rounds. GB needs another DE with pass rushig skill, if they git this then it would open up the middle for the current DTs to make plays.