PDA

View Full Version : David Carr for a 4th rounder??

MadtownPacker
02-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Just saw on NFL Network (the best NFL coverage ever) that the texans are looking to trade Carr and will seek a 2nd to 4th round pick for the former #1 overall selection.

Gotta say this move is really stupid by the texans considering the crap team they surrounded him with, mainly the OL. This guy has the arm, the size, and the heart. It was unfair to bring him into a POS expansion team and expect him to excel. Now they want to kick him to the curb. i hope they do trade him and then proceed to become like the bengals of yesterday (the ones that sucked but didnt get arrested).

As a Fresno St fan and someone who watched Carr during his entire time there I would be delighted if TT was to make a move for him. Then the QB situation would be prepared for when Favre retires but I have a feeling he may end up a bear which would make them alot better on O.

FritzDontBlitz
02-16-2007, 11:02 AM
i'd give up a 4th for carr in a second. he's definitely an upgrade over rodgers.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Yep, Carr is underrated IMO. He's never played that bad and is on a horrible team. Hell Favre wouldn't have done much better with that O. If Carr and Rodgers were behind Favre I would feel a lot better about our QB situation.

wist43
02-16-2007, 11:10 AM
He'd definitely be an upgrade over Rodgers, but that's not saying much...

I think his delivery is a fatal flaw... the only side arm slinger I can think of that had a chance to light the league up was Jeff George. But of course he had a 10 cent head.

I could see Carr as a backup, or a stop gap starter... certainly never going to go to a SB with him under center.

Packnut
02-16-2007, 11:14 AM
It's impossible to judge him when he's never had any talent around him.

MadtownPacker
02-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I think his delivery is a fatal flaw...

I could see Carr as a backup, or a stop gap starter... certainly never going to go to a SB with him under center.Yes his throw is a lil sidearmed but I dont recall highlights of his throws getting tipped. Just a bunch of lowlights of his OL letting the defense jailbreak on his ass nearly every play.

If the bears went to the SB with grossman a team can surely get there with Carr.

MJZiggy
02-16-2007, 11:34 AM
I read something last season about him being a little shellshocked and giving up the sack rather than evading. Is that true? and how do you fix it if it is?

SkinBasket
02-16-2007, 11:37 AM
I could see Carr as a backup, or a stop gap starter... certainly never going to go to a SB with him under center.

People said the same about Rex Grossman, Trent Dilfer, Stan Humphries, Neil O’Donnell, and Chris Chandler and somehow they made it. I would certainly take Carr over any of those guys in the years they took their teams to the SB including this year's iteration of Sexy Rexy.

Freak Out
02-16-2007, 11:38 AM
No......let him go somewhere else. I think he has been ruined by the incompetent bunch that drafted him.

MadtownPacker
02-16-2007, 11:38 AM
how do you fix it if it is?You get him a OL!!

I think the Tony Bosselli failure really doomed Carr. The texans pinned all their hopes on Bosselli anchoring the OL and being a veteran presence for the team. If I recall correctly he never played a down for them.

MJZiggy
02-16-2007, 11:41 AM
I mean if he 's overly shell shocked, it's more of a mental problem and he has to get the ghost pass rushers out of his head. How does he get rid of the ghosts that aren't really there?

MadtownPacker
02-16-2007, 11:44 AM
IHow does he get rid of the ghosts that aren't really there?Vicadin and Oxycotin. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

cpk1994
02-16-2007, 12:01 PM

People said the same about Rex Grossman, Trent Dilfer, Stan Humphries, Neil O’Donnell, and Chris Chandler and somehow they made it. I would certainly take Carr over any of those guys in the years they took their teams to the SB including this year's iteration of Sexy Rexy.

Yeah, but what do all of them but one have in common? THEY LOST!!!!!!!!
And Trent Dilfer got his win because of the defense; he just managed not to do anything stupid.

wist43
02-16-2007, 12:12 PM

And Trent Dilfer got his win because of the defense; he just managed not to do anything stupid.

That's exactly my point in being critical of the current Packers offensive system... It's completely QB dependent. I'd much rather go to a system in which the QB is more along for the ride - and, if we happen to stumble on to another Favre, then great, adjust from there.

I don't think Carr can carry a team all the way, and that's what the Packers system calls for their QB to do... like I said, I see him as a backup or a stop gap.

MJZiggy
02-16-2007, 12:14 PM
IHow does he get rid of the ghosts that aren't really there?Vicadin and Oxycotin. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What the hell, why not? It's worked for Packer QB's in the past...
8)

wist43
02-16-2007, 12:37 PM
Took 3 vicadin at my bowling league the other day... topped it off with a few beers.

Bowled like crap, but by the time the meds kicked in - I didn't care... there's something to be said for that!!!

Tony Oday
02-16-2007, 01:17 PM
Took 3 vicadin at my bowling league the other day... topped it off with a few beers.

Bowled like crap, but by the time the meds kicked in - I didn't care... there's something to be said for that!!!

hehe why do you think Favre smiles after bad throws ;)

SkinBasket
02-16-2007, 01:19 PM

You think we can draft a better QB than Carr for a 3rd or 4th? No one's giving up a 2 for him. That's what it comes down to for me, and I really don't think we could find a better rookie, who may need to be ready next year, with a 4th.

It would be great to find someone better, but if you haven't noticed, there aren't a lot of options. I don't think Manning or Palmer will be available for a 3rd or 4th.

Partial
02-16-2007, 01:50 PM

David Carr is awful. Those others are far, far better. He's just another tedford project, and a huge step down from the most successful of the Tedford children Trent Dilfer.

Creepy
02-16-2007, 01:55 PM
Here are some team sthat might be willing to give that #2 or #3 for him.

Vikings:
Vikings are not all that fired up with what they have right now. The rookie did some good things, but didn't win and made some poor decisions. Carr would be a nice veteran influence or starter.

Bucaneers:
Simms is still a wonder. How will he come back from his injury and he still has not shown he is as good as they thought. Even before his injury he wasn't playing well, being tough doesn't make you a great QB ask Bobby Douglas or Joe Kapp.

Seahawks:
Holmgren may decide he dosen't want to be left in the cold whne or if Hasslebeck gets hurt. Remeber he brought in veterans almost every year while in GB except for 1 year.

Pantehrs:
Delhomme did not play well last year aor the year before. he is older than Carr and maybe a little too much mileage. Wouldn't suprise me if they got him to lite a fire under Delhomme or replace him. Carr has more upside at his age than delhomme has.

Chiefs:
Green is old and it didn't look like he fully recovered from that hit last year. Huard is a journeyman, but notthe real answer. Chiefs made the play-offs and really don't want to bring in a rookie to start. Carr is a good fit for this team.

Ravens:
They love McNair, but he is getting old and is injury prone. They don't like Boller as the starter, and may decide that Carr would be better at back-up/replacement to McNair.

Dolphins:
Culpepper they think came back too soon, or they seen how good he is without Moss. Harrington played OK, but I don't think they are ready to go with him alone. They may make the trade and either Harrington or Culpepper get cut if it doesn't work out.

Jaguars:
Neither starter or the back-up gave them any reason to belive they will be any better next year. The defense can only bail them out so long and carr may be what they need to get it going. Bring in Carr and then the Jags may start shopping their QBs around to see what they can get before the Draft starts.

I purposely left off teams like the Lions, Browns and Raiders. These teams will be drafting QBs along with the Texans. However, if one of these teams falls to a point where they can't get the QB they want or pick a different player and tarde for Carr to improve in two areas. I feel the Lions and Raiders will more than likely take QBs in the draft, the Browns may be willing to trade for Carr and pick another player at #1.

GB won't trade for Carr and Carr dosen't really want to battle for the #2 slot. he may not have mcuh of a choice, but GB isn't going to give a high pickl for Carr. When Carr gets traded it will be for somebodies #2 or a high #3 not a #4.

KYPack
02-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Carr is a steal at a #4 pick.

That said, I think TT would never trade a 4 for a vet player.

Carr was developing nicely, but the Texmen would never get the kid a line.

As far as his present quirks, nothing a decent QB coach couldn't straighten with a little work.

Who does Tex think they are gonna get to replace him.

PackerPro42
02-16-2007, 04:00 PM
I don't get why everyone is giving up on Rodgers. He hasn't really gotten a chance to prove himself and I don't think that you bring in a traumatized QB to replace Favre when you have a completely capable QB waiting in the wings. I personally think Rodgers will be a very solid QB in the Packers system and I think that we shouldn't give up on him just yet.

TopHat
02-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Just saw on NFL Network (the best NFL coverage ever) that the texans are looking to trade Carr and will seek a 2nd to 4th round pick for the former #1 overall selection.

Gotta say this move is really stupid by the texans considering the crap team they surrounded him with, mainly the OL. This guy has the arm, the size, and the heart. It was unfair to bring him into a POS expansion team and expect him to excel. Now they want to kick him to the curb. i hope they do trade him and then proceed to become like the bengals of yesterday (the ones that sucked but didnt get arrested).

As a Fresno St fan and someone who watched Carr during his entire time there I would be delighted if TT was to make a move for him. Then the QB situation would be prepared for when Favre retires but I have a feeling he may end up a bear which would make them alot better on O.

TOP HAT: A POSSIBILITY LIKE THE RUMORS ABOUT PLUMMER AND MOSS. YET, FIRST, WE HAVE IMMEDIATE NEEDS IN FA AND DRAFT TO HELP BF'S OFFENSE AND DEFENSE. IN TWO WEEKS, WE SHALL SEE HOW IT STARTS TO UNFOLD

wist43
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
In short, some of us have given up on Rodgers b/c, in just about every way imaginable, he looks to be in way over his head.

He looks tenative in the pocket, he doesn't seem to feel the rush, as soon as he's set up in the pocket he's looking to check down - which makes me wonder if he can read a defense, he doesn't seem to have any "presence", he doesn't have a big arm - and, oh yeah, he's a Tedford QB.

Whatever it is about the guy - perhaps it's everything about the guy - he just doesn't seem to have it.

They've invested a 1st round pick and millions of $$$ in him, so I'm sure he'll get his shot, but I just don't see it.

If I were TT, I'd be drafting a QB every year until I found "the guy"... hell, for all we know, Ingle Martin might have moved in front of Aaron Rodgers on the depth chart. Maybe Ingle Martin is "the guy".

One thing I'm pretty sure of at this point though, is that Rodgers IS NOT "the guy".

BallHawk
02-16-2007, 04:59 PM
I personally think Rodgers will be a very solid QB in the Packers system and I think that we shouldn't give up on him just yet.

Is there a chance that Rodgers could be successful? Of course. Is it likely? Hell no.

And people, you give David Carr way to little credit. Even with a team that had absolutely no running game and no passing game, he still put up a 82.1 passer rating.

BallHawk
02-16-2007, 05:12 PM
Here's another stat.

David Carr, of all 32 starting QBs, had the highest completion percentage in the league, and it's not like he barely through the ball. He threw the ball 442 times. You can't even argue that Aaron Rodgers is better than him. I'd even give up a 3rd for Carr.

PackerPro42
02-16-2007, 07:41 PM
I personally think Rodgers will be a very solid QB in the Packers system and I think that we shouldn't give up on him just yet.

Is there a chance that Rodgers could be successful? Of course. Is it likely? Hell no.

And people, you give David Carr way to little credit. Even with a team that had absolutely no running game and no passing game, he still put up a 82.1 passer rating.

I don't get where you're coming from here. Like I said before, Rodgers has had no chances to prove himself and I think it's a little premature to say that he's not going to be a good player. So you have no proof for saying he'll be a flop. Saying he won't be successful is like saying Matt Leinart and Vince Young won't be successful. I mean, there's always a bust factor with any player, but if we don't give them a chance we'll never know. I don't think that getting rid of a first rounder after no playing time is a very wise move.

MadtownPacker
02-16-2007, 07:43 PM
David Carr is awful.
Read BH's post above and then simmer in your ignorance of this player.

Bretsky
02-16-2007, 07:58 PM

I don't get where you're coming from here. Like I said before, Rodgers has had no chances to prove himself and I think it's a little premature to say that he's not going to be a good player. So you have no proof for saying he'll be a flop. Saying he won't be successful is like saying Matt Leinart and Vince Young won't be successful. I mean, there's always a bust factor with any player, but if we don't give them a chance we'll never know. I don't think that getting rid of a first rounder after no playing time is a very wise move.

It's my view that Young and Leinart are far more gifted than Aaron Rodgers
I hope I'm wrong.

PackerPro42
02-16-2007, 08:07 PM

It's my view that Young and Leinart are far more gifted than Aaron Rodgers
I hope I'm wrong.

It's debatable, but when Rodgers was in the running to be the first pick, I don't think that you can give up on him.

BallHawk
02-16-2007, 08:24 PM

It's not so much that Rodgers hasn't had a lot playing time, it's that brief playing time that he has shown nothing. He's had bad mechanics, bad footwork, he's shown no confidence, he hasn't shown one thing that instills confidence in me.

Also, what bad would giving Rodgers some competition do? If a 4th round pick is all they want, then who would you rather have? David Carr or Cory Rodgers?

KYPack
02-16-2007, 09:12 PM
I miss the ol' "play Craig Nall" posts.

PackerPro42
02-16-2007, 09:26 PM

It's not so much that Rodgers hasn't had a lot playing time, it's that brief playing time that he has shown nothing. He's had bad mechanics, bad footwork, he's shown no confidence, he hasn't shown one thing that instills confidence in me.

Also, what bad would giving Rodgers some competition do? If a 4th round pick is all they want, then who would you rather have? David Carr or Cory Rodgers?

I don't disagree with you here, but I also think that when a player comes into the league, there is an adjusting period. With his lack of playing time, I think that it just is a matter of experience before he starts lighting it up. You can't expect to throw him in with the lions and expect him to be successful right away. It's just going to take him a couple more times to get it down. I think the last thing you want to do with him is give up.

the_idle_threat
02-17-2007, 03:20 AM

I don't disagree with you here, but I also think that when a player comes into the league, there is an adjusting period. With his lack of playing time, I think that it just is a matter of experience before he starts lighting it up. You can't expect to throw him in with the lions and expect him to be successful right away. It's just going to take him a couple more times to get it down. I think the last thing you want to do with him is give up.

My biggest concern about Rodgers, and it has been mentioned previously in this thread, is that he doesn't seem to have a feel for the pass rush. He doesn't "see" it coming. Combine that with the fact that---like many inexperienced QBs---he holds the ball too long because his read and recognition skills aren't fully developed, and the result is that he gets slaughtered. As I think this is an instinct rather than a learned skill, and Rodgers seems not to have it, I don't see good things in Rodgers' future in terms of durability.

MacCool606
02-17-2007, 10:41 AM
I think a major factor in how a QB develops in the pros is the quality of his coaching. If you have seen the DVD that came in the Favre book, and I'm sure most of you have - I didn't think the coaching staff in Atlanta the year Brett was drafted was very good. Brett didn't blossom, and I'm guessing that he never would have, had he not been traded to a team that had a very qualified coaching staff, and a Coach that was known to develope QB's.

Based on that, I think that Rogers first year was basically a lost year. I look at last year, after he went through MM's offseason QB school to be his first year. And, if you do that, I think he has some potential.

For some reason, I could never figure out what qualified Bevell to be a QB coach.

Fritz
02-17-2007, 10:45 AM

You think we can draft a better QB than Carr for a 3rd or 4th? No one's giving up a 2 for him. That's what it comes down to for me, and I really don't think we could find a better rookie, who may need to be ready next year, with a 4th.

It would be great to find someone better, but if you haven't noticed, there aren't a lot of options. I don't think Manning or Palmer will be available for a 3rd or 4th.

No, not someone who could be ready next year, but from what I'm hearing, Drew Stanton from Mich State may be available in the third. I'd rather have him as a third stringer this year, try to develop him, then let him compete with Rodgers after Favre retires.

Guiness
02-17-2007, 11:11 AM
It's debatable, but when Rodgers was in the running to be the first pick, I don't think that you can give up on him.

The prevailing thought is that he was being considered in name only, in an attempt to get Smith's asking price down. Which they were unsuccessful in doing, I might add.

If either Smith or Rodgers had been in the '06 draft, they would've been the fourth QB taken, and probably not even in the first round.

Not saying that makes Rodgers bad. Just that you have to put his '1st round pedigree' with an astericks after it.