PDA

View Full Version : Draft

Packnut
02-16-2007, 11:11 AM
I've been taking a hard look the last few days at the teams picking ahead of us and I've concluded that the odds are better that Lynch is available at 16 than any of the top WR's.

Of the teams picking ahead of us, only 2 have a serious need at RB. The Browns and Houston. If the Browns go RB, they take Peterson in a no-brainer move. That leaves Houston. Trying to figure out which way they go is tough. Like us, they have several needs. I think they might just settle on Dayne since he had a few impressive games for them near the end of the season, but ya never know.

WR look's to be the most pressing need for several of the teams picking before us. We know for sure the Vikes are going WR. I also think you can make a case for most of the teams picking in front of us to consider one of the top WR's. Almost all of them could use an upgrade at the #2 WR spot and almost all of them are weak at the #3 slot.

Since most experts feel there are 5 top WR's in the draft, where do they rate in value as far as the position they can be picked at? After CJ and Ginn, are either of the other 3 top 10 picks? I don't think so. Bowe is moving up most draft boards with good reason. I got a gut feeling. the Falcons will be very tempted. Jenkins and Lelie are a joke.

The odds also would favor SF taking Bowe or if he's gone, a familiar name in Jarrett. I'm not sold on Meachem or Rice. I think both are late 1st or early 2nd picks.

If I'm right, that more than likely leaves Lynch at 16. If this is the scenario, then I see TT really not having much of a choice. The only other option would be going defense. If he goes D, then he has to pick for need and we all know our biggest need is saftey.

Of course free agency can change a lot of scenarios. Right now, the draft is pure guess-work. We'll have a much better picture in March of where we are headed. I just thought we could spend some time guessing which way the teams ahead of us are going in order to determine our options at 16.

Joemailman
02-16-2007, 11:54 AM
I agree that if Lynch slides past Houston, he will likely be available when the Packers pick, unless someone who needs a running back trades up ahead of the Packers (Giants, Jets). My guess is TT won't pass on Lynch if he is available. TT will either pick him, or trade down to someone who wants him.

PackerPro42
02-16-2007, 04:03 PM
If he does decide to stay at the 16 spot I think there is a 1 in 3 chance that Lynch wears G&G. A 100% chance if Nelson and Landry are gone. I personally feel that Lynch is the best overall back in the draft and I would hate to see TT pass him up for a receiver like Rice or Bowe.

BallHawk
02-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I can't think of one player who is a projected first rounder that I wouldn't rather have than Lynch. I would rather have Irons, Carriker, Rice, Bowe, Jarrett, Nelson, Landry, Meachum, you name it.

swede
02-16-2007, 08:37 PM
For those of you that like the idea of Marshawn Lynch as a first pick, could you please explain what makes him first round talent as a running back.

I'm not excited about the guy but I sense that others are. I'd just like to know what kind of running back he is. Should I think Eddie George? Ricky Watters? Dave Osborne?

BallHawk
02-16-2007, 08:43 PM
For those of you that like the idea of Marshawn Lynch as a first pick, could you please explain what makes him first round talent as a running back.

I'm not excited about the guy but I sense that others are. I'd just like to know what kind of running back he is. Should I think Eddie George? Ricky Watters? Dave Osborne?

Ki-Janna Carter would be the most accurate, IMO.

swede
02-16-2007, 08:52 PM

Ki-Janna Carter would be the most accurate, IMO.

Considering the fifteen minutes that Ki Jana Carter's career lasted, Ballhawk, was that comparison meant to be an accurate assessment of physical skill or a slam aimed at an over-hyped pick. That comparison could be taken either way. :?

PackerPro42
02-16-2007, 09:13 PM
I can't think of one player who is a projected first rounder that I wouldn't rather have than Lynch. I would rather have Irons, Carriker, Rice, Bowe, Jarrett, Nelson, Landry, Meachum, you name it.

We've already established that you don't like Lynch. You've made it apparent every time I've said something about him. I'm not sure If I should take it as a personal attack or just accept it as a fact that you continuously contradict my point of view. But regardless, I'm not a big fan of Irons, Carriker, Rice, Bowe, Jarrett, or Meachum in the first round. If Lynch, Nelson, or Landry aren't available, than I hope they trade down and stock pile picks like they did last year.

And as for the Ki-Jana Carter comparison, I don't think that's it's a very good comparison at all. I think that because you don't like Lynch you found a bust player with similar measurable and said they were the same. When in all essence, they're not even close to being similar players, as far as skills or playing style.

A more accurate comparison, IMO, is him and Edgerin James before his knee sugery. If you look they have a very similar running style and are both very complete backs.

RashanGary
02-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Of the guys in our range, I like Nelson, Lynch, Okoye, Hall, Charles Johnson, Ginn becuase he'd change games w/ ST's ala Hester, and Revis.

Nelson and Hall are my first choices, follwoed by any of the rest

PackerPro42
02-16-2007, 09:31 PM
I don't mind Nelson, but IMO Hall is the most overrated corner in the draft. After watching numerous games of his, you see that he is extremely slow for the position and isn't very good defending the pass. I can't even remember the amount of times he got burned. After seeing that I definitely don't want him.

b bulldog
02-16-2007, 09:37 PM
Branch is the only Mich player who should go in the top 15 and I think he could be a Hunt type of a DT. Hall is overrated imo.

BallHawk
02-17-2007, 08:24 AM

We've already established that you don't like Lynch. You've made it apparent every time I've said something about him. I'm not sure If I should take it as a personal attack or just accept it as a fact that you continuously contradict my point of view.

You should take it that I dislike a player that you happen to like.

red
02-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I've been taking a hard look the last few days at the teams picking ahead of us and I've concluded that the odds are better that Lynch is available at 16 than any of the top WR's.

Of the teams picking ahead of us, only 2 have a serious need at RB. The Browns and Houston. If the Browns go RB, they take Peterson in a no-brainer move. That leaves Houston. Trying to figure out which way they go is tough. Like us, they have several needs. I think they might just settle on Dayne since he had a few impressive games for them near the end of the season, but ya never know.

WR look's to be the most pressing need for several of the teams picking before us. We know for sure the Vikes are going WR. I also think you can make a case for most of the teams picking in front of us to consider one of the top WR's. Almost all of them could use an upgrade at the #2 WR spot and almost all of them are weak at the #3 slot.

Since most experts feel there are 5 top WR's in the draft, where do they rate in value as far as the position they can be picked at? After CJ and Ginn, are either of the other 3 top 10 picks? I don't think so. Bowe is moving up most draft boards with good reason. I got a gut feeling. the Falcons will be very tempted. Jenkins and Lelie are a joke.

The odds also would favor SF taking Bowe or if he's gone, a familiar name in Jarrett. I'm not sold on Meachem or Rice. I think both are late 1st or early 2nd picks.

If I'm right, that more than likely leaves Lynch at 16. If this is the scenario, then I see TT really not having much of a choice. The only other option would be going defense. If he goes D, then he has to pick for need and we all know our biggest need is saftey.

Of course free agency can change a lot of scenarios. Right now, the draft is pure guess-work. We'll have a much better picture in March of where we are headed. I just thought we could spend some time guessing which way the teams ahead of us are going in order to determine our options at 16.

the texans actually have a pretty decent back in domanick davis, who missed this whole year. one of the ideas last year was that they passed on bush because they were happy with davis

if he returns to full health, rb would be one of their lesser needs IMO

Charles Woodson
02-17-2007, 10:26 AM
Of the guys in our range, I like Nelson, Lynch, Okoye, Hall, Charles Johnson, Ginn becuase he'd change games w/ ST's ala Hester, and Revis.

Nelson and Hall are my first choices, follwoed by any of the rest

Hmm Im not fans of hall or johnson... Even though Ginn is a good kick returner could he do it with our crappy special teams? If the blockings not there he cant go anywhere... My list would be more of:

Nelson
Landry
Lynch
Rice
Okoye

Fritz
02-17-2007, 10:37 AM
It may be that Rice and Meachem could be had later in the first round. I can't say I know enough about Lynch to make any judgment, but my temptation would be to trade down and get another second rounder, then grab Meachem late in the first round (assuming Bowe is gone).

But maybe Lynch is the next Big Thing. I have no idea. Clearly opinion is not unanimous.

Brando19
02-17-2007, 10:55 AM
Comparing Lynch and Peterson...Peterson has the slight edge on Lynch...but Lynch is alot better in the passing game and is one HECK of a blocker. I really hope the Pack has a chance to get Lynch.

Fritz
02-17-2007, 11:09 AM
But he's so ugly!

PackerPro42
02-17-2007, 12:31 PM
The Edge is ugly too, but he still is one hell of a player. Last year was a down year for him, but he didn't have the line in front of him. Lynch reminds me of Edge in his hay day at Indy. They're both very shifty with an element of speed and power and they're both excellent receivers. Lynch is by far the best overall back in the draft this year.

jmbarnes101
02-17-2007, 01:34 PM
Not to mention that Lynch is a headcase and wasn't he just accused of assault or rape? If that's the case there is no way TT will draft him. He's not a Packer person.

I'd love to have...
Okoye
Landry
Griffin
Nelson

red
02-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Not to mention that Lynch is a headcase and wasn't he just accused of assault or rape? If that's the case there is no way TT will draft him. He's not a Packer person.

I'd love to have...
Okoye
Landry
Griffin
Nelson

the key word being ACCUSED, charges were dropped

one accusation does not make a head case

Fritz
02-18-2007, 08:34 AM
Bretsky kindly posted some highlights of Lynch, but BallHawk, I think, made a good point: Lynch gets caught from behind a lot. I also noticed that he does a lot of bouncing around, dancing, and that doesn't seem to fit the running style the Packers are looking for. Remember, a guy can be good but not fit your system.

BallHawk
02-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Also, for ZBS you have to be relatively smart.

PackerPro42
02-18-2007, 08:42 AM
Also, for ZBS you have to be relatively smart.

So you're definitely out of the question. :D

Fritz
02-18-2007, 08:46 AM
What's wrong with BallHawk's smarts? He seems fine to me.

PackerPro42
02-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Bretsky kindly posted some highlights of Lynch, but BallHawk, I think, made a good point: Lynch gets caught from behind a lot. I also noticed that he does a lot of bouncing around, dancing, and that doesn't seem to fit the running style the Packers are looking for. Remember, a guy can be good but not fit your system.

That wasn't Ballhawk that said that, it was OS PA. But I thought he looked plenty fast in those videos. If you look you'll see that most of the runs that ended up in TD were blown up at the line of scrimmage. So Lynch had to work his magic to get through traffic and then turn up field.

Fritz
02-18-2007, 08:47 AM
I disagree but if the Pack takes Lynch I'll be rooting for the guy. He does look cool on the highlight reels.

RashanGary
02-18-2007, 08:48 AM

I agree. We need north/south runners. Peterson would be the perfect ZBS back but he'll be long gone.

Michael Bush, while not as shifty, mgiht be more effectie in a north/south scheme like the ZBS. Also, he could be had in the second because of his early, unfortunate season ending injury.

I don't rule Lynch out because of this but I do think it is something that will go into considerationa and make guys like Nelson or Hall more valuable to the Packers.

PackerPro42
02-18-2007, 08:48 AM
What's wrong with BallHawk's smarts? He seems fine to me.

I was joking because he always rips on Lynch. As far as I know Ballhawk and I don't have a beef any more, so I think were cool.

PackerPro42
02-18-2007, 08:55 AM

He fits our system perfectly. Not only was he brought up in a school that implemented the ZBS, but they also incorporated screen passes to the RB and let him work his magic. That sounds a lot like the Packers offense to me. And the one cut theory only applies when the RB is behind the line. Once you get past the line man you can do what ever you want to get to the end zone. I think it's a little bit out of line to say he doesn't fit our system when you look at all those aspects.

Joemailman
02-18-2007, 08:58 AM

I'd love to have...
Okoye
Landry
Griffin
Nelson

In fairness to Lynch, there was a complaint filed against him. No charges were ever filed against him, much less dropped. Ahman Green has been in more trouble with the law than Lynch.

jmbarnes101
02-18-2007, 03:02 PM
Will this be another Frostee Rucker situation? Rapes several people who are too afraid to go the police or wait to long so the evidence is gone so he never appears in a court room or goes to jail? I'd rather have a pot smoker or something like that on the team than a person who would violate someone else, even allegedly.