PDA

View Full Version : Javon gets paid?

Freak Out
02-16-2007, 02:10 PM
I heard Walker got the 10 million option from Denver today. Anyone else hear that?

GBRulz
02-16-2007, 02:13 PM
Thank goodness, I mean now he can take care of himself and his family. They don't need to starve anymore... all is well. :roll:

But, sarcasm aside, I haven't heard anything.

Freak Out
02-16-2007, 02:19 PM
This is from the Washington Post:

Broncos Reportedly Exercise Option in J. Walker's Contract

The Denver Broncos reportedly have exercised an option in Javon Walker's contract to retain the wide receiver for the next five seasons.

The team exercised the option in recent days, the Denver Post reported, and owes Walker $10.7 million.

The option bonus was written into the six-year, $43 million deal that Walker signed with the Broncos after being obtained in a trade with the Green Bay Packers during last year's NFL draft. Walker was coming off a major knee injury at the time and the structure of the contract would have enabled the Broncos to cut their ties with Walker this offseason without paying the option bonus if he hadn't recovered sufficiently.

Packnut
02-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Cutler is very lucky to have a wideout like Walker to lean on while he matures as a QB.

KYPack
02-16-2007, 02:37 PM
OK, somebody dig thru the old posts and make fun of everybody that posted Walker would end up in a soup line someplace.

It was a good deal for Denver. They got #1 talent with a #2 pick.

Walker is a top flight reciever, I wish we coulda kept him.

MTPackerfan
02-16-2007, 02:49 PM
I saw it on KFFL this morning.

Joemailman
02-16-2007, 04:02 PM
Cutler is very lucky to have a wideout like Walker to lean on while he matures as a QB.

I'd rather have Donald Driver. Sure, it would have been nice to have both, but Walker didn't want to be here. Actually, I think Jennings is capable of putting up the type of numbers that Walker put up in 2006. I have doubts as to whether Walker will ever match his 2004 season again.

b bulldog
02-16-2007, 05:29 PM
Walker is a stud WR who can do things 99% of the NFL WR's can't. DD and Walker would be a perfect duo but that wasn't meant to be.

RashanGary
02-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Walker got his big pay day on the same timeline Thompson was willing to work with. He went through all that trouble and still had to wait till his contract was up for gauranteed money.

Anyone that thinks he got his original demand -an early big deal- is completely blind to reality. Javon had to play by the rules and since the Packers shutting him down, rosenfart hasn't pulled his crap nearly to the level he had been.

Harris got treated fairly and Walker would have been too. Unfortunately; Walker is somewhat slow and Rosenfart was attempting to change the way the game was played and it all blew up in everyones face, inclduing Walker, who is the only top WR to be signed since the huge cap increase and he's not even paid as well as the top guys who got signed before the huge cap hike.

In short, he's getting paid like a top 5 WR of 2 years ago when he should be signing a ground breaking deal with the new cap in mind. NObody won this deal. I'm not saying the Packers didnt' lose because that deal would be great right now, but I am saying Walker hurt himself as well. I'll be willing to bet that not too many guys will be signing up with Rosenfart for the same treatment. I'm sure everyone saw how that went down.

HarveyWallbangers
02-16-2007, 07:43 PM
This news makes me yawn.

MadtownPacker
02-16-2007, 07:49 PM
Walker got his big pay day on the same timeline Thompson was willing to work with. He went through all that trouble and still had to wait till his contract was up for gauranteed money.
That there sums it up, he went through all that for nothing!!!

BTW - His 2006 season wasnt that great, did he even have 1000yds? 10TDs?

Screw him anyways!!!

Joemailman
02-16-2007, 07:56 PM
Javon had 69 receptions (27th in the NFL); 1084 Receiving Yards (15th); 8 Touchdowns (28th). He is a very good receiver, but was not elite in 2006. There are a number of receivers in the league who were just as good, but will be lucky to make half of what he will make this year.

b bulldog
02-16-2007, 09:45 PM
First year back after a major injury. This season will show us all if he is truely an elite WR.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-16-2007, 11:32 PM
Walker would still be on this team if it wasn't for his season ending injury in 2005. If Walker would have played good for about the first half of the season, TT probably would have payed him and Walker would have signed it.

]{ilr]3
02-17-2007, 08:10 AM
Good post GJ :wink:

I think he shows his true colors as well when the article says his spirits are now improving after Darrent Williams was killed when it looked like he was finally going to get his money! :roll:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_5237814

Anyone that thinks he got his original demand -an early big deal- is completely blind to reality. Javon had to play by the rules and since the Packers shutting him down, rosenfart hasn't pulled his crap nearly to the level he had been.

Harris got treated fairly and Walker would have been too. Unfortunately; Walker is somewhat slow and Rosenfart was attempting to change the way the game was played and it all blew up in everyones face, inclduing Walker, who is the only top WR to be signed since the huge cap increase and he's not even paid as well as the top guys who got signed before the huge cap hike.

In short, he's getting paid like a top 5 WR of 2 years ago when he should be signing a ground breaking deal with the new cap in mind. NObody won this deal. I'm not saying the Packers didnt' lose because that deal would be great right now, but I am saying Walker hurt himself as well. I'll be willing to bet that not too many guys will be signing up with Rosenfart for the same treatment. I'm sure everyone saw how that went down.

Fritz
02-17-2007, 08:27 AM
Good posts GJ and Joemailman. It helps to keep in mind that Walker was working with a rookie QB as well as Jake Plummer last year. He may be better than those numbers.

It may be that TT made a mistake and tried to play hardball -if that's so he's learned his lesson, which is all you can ask of anyone in a job. Or it may have been that he did try to work something out with Walker, but did it as he should have - behind the scenes - and Walker just wanted out, despite his later protestations.

Walker was Shermy's best pick. TT may have messed it up, but don't forget that Walker didn't exactly play it fair - he could have tried it low key, like DD and (mostly) Al Harris.

But it's done now. As a result of the trade, the Pack now has (I thinK) Spitz, a starting guard, and Jennings, a starting wide receiver. Walker's history.

Packnut
02-17-2007, 10:15 AM
OK, somebody dig thru the old posts and make fun of everybody that posted Walker would end up in a soup line someplace.

I remember all those "debates" with certain people here telling me how Walker could'nt come back from that injury so fast and that TT should'nt give him the money because of it. I said several times the injury was a non-factor and in the end I was proven right.

Denver did get the better of the deal. NE got a #1 for Branch who could'nt carry Walker's jock strap. Anyone who says TT made a good deal with Walker is full of sh*t.

Fritz
02-17-2007, 10:29 AM

I remember all those "debates" with certain people here telling me how Walker could'nt come back from that injury so fast and that TT should'nt give him the money because of it. I said several times the injury was a non-factor and in the end I was proven right.

Denver did get the better of the deal. NE got a #1 for Branch who could'nt carry Walker's jock strap. Anyone who says TT made a good deal with Walker is full of sh*t.

I must disagree. I believe Branch is fully capable of carrying Walker's jock strap.

Patler
02-17-2007, 11:11 AM

Nah, overall I think it ended up being a good deal for both teams. Since Walker professed never to again play in GB, and began to make somewhat of a scene, and had been injured, and insisted on rehabing on his own, and was behind in his rehab as even the Broncos recognized, and was nearing the end of his contract with no assurance he would be willing to re-sign with either team; etc. etc. there were uncertainties for both teams. Thus a second round pick was probably fair to both.

Denver got a very good receiver, and managed to extend his contract at a resonable price.

Green Bay got a draft pick that in many ways was key to their entire draft. Picking up Denver's second aided the Packers 2006 strategy of trading down and accumulating additional slightly lower picks. It was a cascading effect that started with two second round picks one right after another (#36 and #37), and seems to have resulted in a decent draft class. Without the Denver pick in the second, the entire draft may have gone differently for GB.

Go ahead, tell me I'm full of fecal material!

Guiness
02-17-2007, 11:21 AM

Heh. And got a lap full of blood in the deal.

Very true. That business model for getting new contracts seems to have gone away. Packers, Eagles, and a couple of other clubs held their ground, and seem to have shown that to be a losing proposition.

FritzDontBlitz
02-17-2007, 01:06 PM
i am not sure how mentally fit walker will be after being involved in that shooting. based on the way he acted to get his release in green bay, i don't think he was very stable to begin with.

Kiwon
02-17-2007, 04:37 PM
Go ahead, tell me I'm full of fecal material!

I hope not! I believe that might constitute blood poisoning and I like smart dogs. :wink:

Fritz
02-18-2007, 08:32 AM
What shooting?

]{ilr]3
02-18-2007, 08:37 AM
What shooting?

Your joking right?

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_4965426

Walker got what he always wanted. To see the bright lights of the city and live out his lifelong dream of being a gang banger. Something I guess he just couldnt do in Green Bay because they were just to small time for his huge ego :roll:

MJZiggy
02-18-2007, 08:39 AM
http://broncos.aolsportsblog.com/2007/01/02/javon-walker-hours-after-darrent-williams-death/

Fritz
02-18-2007, 08:45 AM
I knew about Williams's shooting death, but I had no idea that JWalk was there. Wow. That sucks for him.

Ever notice that when pro athletes are getting into trouble, they're always at either a nightclub or a stripclub, usually in the wee hours of the morning. Occasionally you get a guy getting into trouble at his own house, say in a hot tub with an underage teen, but mostly these guys are out at nightclubs and stripclubs.

You wonder they don't get the point and maybe, after the first two years of living the high life, settle down a littland maybe just go to the neighbor's or to Moe's Tavern instead.