PDA

View Full Version : We can't have Moss, because of character?

LEWCWA
02-17-2007, 01:18 AM
This is just too funny! Horning he stellar character right?! He missed a season for gambling, for christ sake! And Max Mcgee, he really had a lot of concern for his teammates, all he was worried about was well you all know!

LEWCWA
02-17-2007, 01:20 AM
The fact is if you can play and perform your character means little. Its when you suck that your character counts. So if Moss were to come in hear and put up 85-1300-15 nobody would really care! Even Lombardi didn't care! So get off the soapbox and evaluate on the only thing that matters!

Patler
02-17-2007, 07:07 AM
This is just too funny! Horning he stellar character right?! He missed a season for gambling, for christ sake! And Max Mcgee, he really had a lot of concern for his teammates, all he was worried about was well you all know!

You are confusing off-field character with on-field character. My biggest concern with Moss is that his actions on the field, during a game can be detrimental to the cohesiveness of a team.

Did anyone ever question the effort Hornung or McGee put forth during games?
Did either comeforth and criticize their teammates?
Did either complain about when and how often they got the ball?
Did either one walk off the field in disgust before a game was done?

Moss has done all those things. I'm in favor of bringing him in to see if he has matured at all in Oakland, but only if GB doesn't have to give up a lot to get him, something like a third round draft pick and a nonstartting player. But, the first time any of the above re-occured, I would release him.

oregonpackfan
02-17-2007, 08:00 AM
[quote="LEWCWA"]The fact is if you can play and perform your character means little.

Ask the 49'ers and Eagles organization if T.O.'s character meant little!

The guy effectively ripped apart both organizations both at the player and coaching levels.

Ask the Vikings organization why they got rid of Moss--a receiver with incredible physical talent.

If the Packer acquire Moss will we:

1. have to negotiate the "Randy Ratio" where a certain percentage of passes go to him?

2. have to negotiate what percentage of plays Randy will be allowed "To take off?"

All teams have players of questionable character yet are capable of winning with them. Players of detrimental character, however, can destroy a team. T.O. and Moss are such players.

The Packers need to avoid Moss and T.O. like the plague.

wist43
02-17-2007, 08:21 AM
You guys hit the nail on the head...

Moss just doesn't have bad character - he's a bad teammate.

To the list of Moss's on field nonsense, I would add that he habitually refuses to run routes, or just jogs, when he is not the #1 option on the play called. He also views blocking downfield as an insult and waste of his god like talent...

No way do I want Moss - he may be over 30 now, but he still acts like he's twenty. He's a punk, and always will be.

Rastak
02-17-2007, 08:22 AM

I didn't realize Horning walked off the field and headed to the tunnel with the game on the line like Moss did. THAT'S where he lost me.

ND72
02-17-2007, 09:14 AM
Hornung (proper spelling come on fellas :D ) never did anything to put his team in jeopardy. There's no comparision between Hornung and Moss, and to do so is a slap in the face of Vince Lombardi.

HarveyWallbangers
02-17-2007, 05:54 PM
I didn't realize Horning walked off the field and headed to the tunnel with the game on the line like Moss did. THAT'S where he lost me.

Actually, the game wasn't on the line. That was a game against Washington, I believe, right? I remember that game basically being over when he walked off.

Chevelle2
02-17-2007, 06:44 PM
http://www.veryimportantpotheads.com/site/mossr.htm

When asked whether he still smokes marijuana during in a 2005 pre-season interview with for HBO's "Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel," Oakland Raiders wide receiver Randy Moss said, "I might. I might have fun. And, hopefully ... I won't get into any trouble with the NFL by saying that. I have had fun throughout my years . . . predominantly in the offseason." The former Vikings star was found with marijuana in his car after a traffic incident in 2002.

In an article about Moss"s admission, sportswriter Jay Mariotti of the Chicago Sun Times asked, "Why do we rail against steroids and giggle about marijuana? Is it because we might have gotten high a few times in a college dorm and went on to lead normal lives? Is it because steroids enhance athletic performances and muddle statistical comparisons while pot, in some households, might augment a good time? Is it because steroids can make heads and bodies swell grotesquely while weed only gives you the munchies?"

By all accounts, Moss has been a pleasant, cooperative teammate since joining the Raiders in March 2005, shortly before Oakland voters approved a measure last year to legalize, tax and regulate marijuana. His energy, enthusiasm and healthy competitiveness were compared to Magic Johnson's.

Moss's willingness to work hard and impart his football knowledge to his impressionable teammates does not surprise Raiders coach Norv Turner. Before picking up Moss in March Turner spoke to former Raiders linebacker Greg Biekert, who played with Moss in Minnesota. "From a player's standpoint, you want to know what his chemistry was like in the locker room," Turner said. "Biekert said it was unbelievable. He told me that at practice, every day, you'd want to see what kind of play the guy was going to make. He said he certainly knows how to work and he certainly knows how to help young players."

Florida Chargers wideout Kassim Osgood said of Moss, "He's one of those guys you enjoy being around, just because he's always got something funny to say. He's uplifting. He encourages you to work harder, and he takes the young guys and he critiques your form and your work ethic. He'll challenge you to work harder." Chargers cornerback Drayton Florence said Moss always tried to be the first to arrive and the last to leave during their workouts. Osgood said Moss refused to accept second place in anything they did, including video games.

In addition to being a great athlete, Moss also is a student of the game. Raiders linebacker Kirk Morrison marveled at how he regularly comes to the line of scrimmage in practice, looks at the defense and correctly calls out what blitz is coming. Moss also studies tapes of the great wideouts who came before him, as well as those still in the game today. Hall of Famer Lance Alworth recently said Moss was No. 1 on his list of must-see players, a statement that led Moss to say: "That's a hell of a compliment."

"He's going to show his emotions when things aren't going well," Jordan said. "You know what? Give me Randy Moss. Give me Rasheed Wallace. ... Don't give me a guy who, when things are going well, they're going to shrug their shoulders, they show no emotions. They're not the kind of guy I want to go to war with. I want to go to war with a guy that when I look in his eyes, and I look at him every day, I see, you know what, he has a passion for winning."

MJZiggy
02-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Interesting article, Chevelle. Even more interesting URL. :P

oregonpackfan
02-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Chevelle,

The website name says it all "veryimportantpotheads." What a ringing endorsement for an elite athlete.

Tell me, if all these positive traits about Randy Moss are true, then why are the Raiders wanting to trade him away? If he is a positive influence on the younger players, as one coach claims, wouldn't you want to keep that veteran on your team?

I remain unconvinced that Moss has matured as a man and a team player.

Chevelle2
02-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Actually, ive heard the raiders are quote hesitant about trading him, which is why they may ask for more thean the packers are willing to give up

Rastak
02-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Actually, the game wasn't on the line. That was a game against Washington, I believe, right? I remember that game basically being over when he walked off.

Wrong.....the Vikings needed to recover the onside kick and score with very little time remaining....Mr Moss walked off....man, was I pissed as a fan when it happened.

HarveyWallbangers
02-17-2007, 08:57 PM

Wrong.....the Vikings needed to recover the onside kick and score with very little time remaining....Mr Moss walked off....man, was I pissed as a fan when it happened.

You may be right, but I thought that he did it after the onside kick failed.