PDA

View Full Version : Packers FA Plans

falco
02-17-2007, 10:58 AM
From PFT:

GREEN BAY GOING DEFENSE IN FREE AGENCY

We reported recently that the Packers' first target in free agency will be Ravens linebacker/defensive end Adalius Thomas.

We're now hearing that the defensive side of the ball will be the primary, if not exclusive, focus of the team's efforts in free agency.

Last year, quarterback Brett Favre spoke openly about wanting the team to make a free-agent acquisition along the lines of defensive end Reggie White. Though there was no Reggie-type player available last year (and there isn't one available this year), quantity could be the key as the Packers improve their ability to keep other teams off of the scoreboard.

Fritz
02-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Generally it's easier to incorporate defensive players into a scheme right away than offensive players, so from that view this would make sense.

Charles Woodson
02-17-2007, 12:28 PM
But since Thomas has the franchise what would we have to give up for him?

BooHoo
02-17-2007, 01:10 PM
It would be to costly. Now we will have to look elsewhere. Provided we were looking at him at all in the first place.

falco
02-17-2007, 03:03 PM
I didn't see where Thomas was franchised...I didn't think Baltimore had the cap room to use the tag.

Do you have a link?

red
02-17-2007, 03:29 PM

i can't find where he's been tagged either

he hasn't as far as i know

falco
02-17-2007, 04:05 PM

i can't find where he's been tagged either

he hasn't as far as i know

thats what I thought too...someone is doing some creative journalism I guess.

MJZiggy
02-17-2007, 04:06 PM
This is as close as I could find.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/football/bal-sp.thomas16feb16,0,5399475.story?coll=bal-sports-football

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-17-2007, 04:12 PM
Holy shit, I didn't know he was turning 30. I don't want him anymore, especially for what he going to demand.

pittstang5
02-17-2007, 04:44 PM
I'll believe it when he's wearing a Green and Gold Jersey. But if the Pack does get this guy, where's he gonna play - LB or DE?

If DE - KGB is on his way out (they better sign Jenkins as well)
IF LB - Poppinga's second string (which wouldn't be that bad)

First off, I think Ravens will find a way to franchise or keep him. SEcondly, if they can't, I think the 49ers are gonna push hard to get this guy. He fits their scheme better and they are WWAAAAAAYYYYYYY under the cap and could give him whatever he wants.

Bretsky
02-17-2007, 08:12 PM
From PFT:

GREEN BAY GOING DEFENSE IN FREE AGENCY

We reported recently that the Packers' first target in free agency will be Ravens linebacker/defensive end Adalius Thomas.

We're now hearing that the defensive side of the ball will be the primary, if not exclusive, focus of the team's efforts in free agency.

Last year, quarterback Brett Favre spoke openly about wanting the team to make a free-agent acquisition along the lines of defensive end Reggie White. Though there was no Reggie-type player available last year (and there isn't one available this year), quantity could be the key as the Packers improve their ability to keep other teams off of the scoreboard.

It's fine if they are going defense in free agency; get us a starting Safety, another LB to beat out Poppinga, and another CB then. Throw in a veteran OG to boot.

Then grab a WR, RB, and TE high in the draft.

Then life will be good as a Packer fan.

HarveyWallbangers
02-17-2007, 08:46 PM
I don't think we need to spend our money on a veteran OG who may or may not start. We have three young guys competing for two spots. All three did okay starting their rookie year. I say let them compete for those two spots. We definitely need a safety, possibly a LB, and some young CBs (probably in the draft). More than anything, we need some playmakers on offense. Considering there aren't many any free agency, we might have to settle on finishing the rebuilding on defense and hope we can get some kids on offense in the draft.

SD GB fan
02-17-2007, 08:55 PM
i think we will be drafting early for DBs or future RB. WRs and TEs will be through the mid rounds or FA. oline and dline depth in the late rounds. id like a LB in the mid to late rounds for depth and competition.

KYPack
02-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Yeah, I'd say vet safety.

Thomas?

He's about the same as Pop at LB.

He's a pretty good DE, but probably not a 3 down guy like we need.

Put the money at the safety spot and draft some more good kids.

Bretsky
02-17-2007, 10:04 PM
I don't think we need to spend our money on a veteran OG who may or may not start. We have three young guys competing for two spots. All three did okay starting their rookie year. I say let them compete for those two spots. We definitely need a safety, possibly a LB, and some young CBs (probably in the draft). More than anything, we need some playmakers on offense. Considering there aren't many any free agency, we might have to settle on finishing the rebuilding on defense and hope we can get some kids on offense in the draft.

You have more faith than I do in the ability of Spitz and Moll; I'd feel better with a vet OG and give them the opportunity to beat him out.

RashanGary
02-17-2007, 10:15 PM
It's more likely Spitz and Colledge but even Spitz and Moll are inspiring confidence in me for their second years. I think the Gaurd problem is solved Bretsky. I think their weakness has more to do with youth at a postion that requires man power.

We'll find out though. I'd be inclined ot bet on those three all panning out. They played good football for a bunch of rookies. Really good considering their age.

Fritz
02-18-2007, 08:29 AM
It's easy - and fun - to be a fan and say Ted should do this, Ted should do that. I like it. But the truth is that it's much more complicated. It's easy to say we should sign (for example) Ken Hamlin. Sure. Cool. But you're competing with other teams, and you've got to decide at what point you'd be paying too much. Do you sign Hamlin to some huge long term deal because he'd "fix" the safety spot for the next three years - if he doesn't get hurt (again)? If so, what happens when he becomes a liability in year four (if you get even three good years from him) and you go into training camp with a slowing, ineffective safety who's on the books for six mil for the year? And what if you happen to know that Underwood is rehabbing like a beast and you've seen the lights go on in his head as far as how to play the position, AND you know of a couple of safeties in the draft you think can become very good pros and maybe will be available in the third or fourth round?

It'd be a tough job. But since I'm a fan, I say what the hell - spend some cash, Ted!

red
02-18-2007, 08:32 AM

You have more faith than I do in the ability of Spitz and Moll; I'd feel better with a vet OG and give them the opportunity to beat him out.

i'm with you 100% on this one B

Fritz
02-18-2007, 08:38 AM
I heard Matt O'Dwyer's available.

LL2
02-18-2007, 03:52 PM
Well last year TT went mainly defense in FA by signing Woodson, Pickett, and Manual. So, he is probably targeting 2-3 players again, with them primarily being on defense. I would ove to see them go after at least one big name FA player on the offensive side.

Brando19
02-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Well last year TT went mainly defense in FA by signing Woodson, Pickett, and Manual. So, he is probably targeting 2-3 players again, with them primarily being on defense. I would ove to see them go after at least one big name FA player on the offensive side.

AKA Randy Moss

BooHoo
02-18-2007, 06:50 PM
It is possible but I would be extremely surprised if we ever traded for Moss. However, I have been wrong before.

VermontPackFan
02-18-2007, 07:09 PM
I am predicting we address our offensive needs thru Free Agency via Johnson or Grahm at TE and Stallworth at WR. We will draft primarily with defense (CB/S, DL) along with a running back or 2 in the later rounds. No need to spend a first round pick on a questionable character(Lynch) or even a RB in the first round.

swede
02-18-2007, 07:33 PM
It seems to me that TE would be one of the best places for this team to spend reasonable $ in FA and get a significant boost on the offensive side of the ball. Any veteran offensive FA at any receiving position would contribute faster than a typical rookie would, so I'd rather see Ted get offensive help through FA and continue drafting defense.