PDA

View Full Version : Tuna in Bristol

MJZiggy
02-17-2007, 06:26 PM
My week just got a little better...

TUNA IN, IRVIN OUT IN BRISTOL

An industry source tells us that Bill Parcells has signed on with ESPN, and that Michael Irvin is out.

"It's done," said the source. "Rock solid."

Parcells, we're told, will be part of the 78-person Monday night crew, which is dispatched from Bristol on a weekly basis to bring grandeur to (and thus justify) the network's $1.1 billion per year investment in the MNF franchise.

As to Irvin, it's anyone's guess where he now lands. Maybe he'll retreat to FSN, which is where he rehabilitated his image after his playing career and before making the leap to Bristol.

Meanwhile, we assume that the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies will be televised once again by ESPN, which will make the day more than a little awkward, in our view.

Irvin is objectively likeable, but he is gratuitously controversial. His biases as an analyst are at times obvious to the point of laughable. Also, he was suspended in November 2005 for failing to disclose a recent arrest for possession of drug paraphernalia. In 2006, his musings regarding the possible presence of African-American DNA in Gomer Pyle-white Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo prompted a torrent of criticism that both the network and Irvin initially did their best to ignore.

Says a member of PFT Planet regarding the Parcells-for-Irvin swap: "Sweet Irony. Michael Irvin gets T.O. on the Cowboys. T.O. causes Bill Parcells to retire from Cowboys. Parcells takes Irvin's job at ESPN."

packers11
02-17-2007, 08:43 PM
YESS!!! BYE BYE IRVIN!!!

RashanGary
02-17-2007, 10:11 PM
I could stand Irvin, unlike many, but I think Parcells will be a TOP NOTCH football analysist. This is a big step up for ESPN.

It's not completely against Irvin as much as it is completely for Parcells. He's so damn entertaining even wehn he's not trying.

VermontPackFan
02-17-2007, 11:30 PM
While Irvin has gotten better as an analyst, he can still be annoying at times. But I still cannot believe he got into the hall of fame, he was an embarrassment to the league, Dallas and himself for many years.

the_idle_threat
02-18-2007, 12:25 AM
Welcome to PackerRats, VPF! (Yeah I can see you've been around a while, but you get the official welcome after your first post. :) )

I agree with you, in that I didn't think Irvin was so great a player on the field that he would overcome his obvious drawbacks in character and bad press in so short a time. IMO, it helped him immensely that he was in the public eye as a commentator, even if he wasn't that good at it.

red
02-18-2007, 08:27 AM
thank god irvins gone

VermontPackFan
02-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Welcome to PackerRats, VPF! (Yeah I can see you've been around a while, but you get the official welcome after your first post. :) )

Thanks Idle...I havent been on this site for awhile. I joined when the mass exodus from JSOnline occurred and have only looked in 1 or 2 times. I get to the point sometimes when I am Jones'ng for a Packer fix, thats when Ill check out the forums to talk football. JSO just isnt cutting it, so here I am. Glad to be here....I see alot of familiar names.

the_idle_threat
02-18-2007, 11:43 PM

Thanks Idle...I havent been on this site for awhile. I joined when the mass exodus from JSOnline occurred and have only looked in 1 or 2 times. I get to the point sometimes when I am Jones'ng for a Packer fix, thats when Ill check out the forums to talk football. JSO just isnt cutting it, so here I am. Glad to be here....I see alot of familiar names.

I think you'll enjoy the atmosphere around here, coming from JSO. Nice buck, btw, in your avatar. :!:

MadtownPacker
02-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Welcome VPF!

The one thing that I really bugged me about crackhead doing ESPN was that he wouldnt let the others guys talk when they wanted to make a point. He would just talk over them until the gave up. He cant say it was a race thing (and you know he would) because you could see Tom Jackson would get sick of his ass too.

woodbuck27
02-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Seems like a sensable swap a moi. :)

VermontPackFan
02-19-2007, 07:12 PM
I think you'll enjoy the atmosphere around here, coming from JSO. Nice buck, btw, in your avatar. :!:[/quote]

Thanks...13 points, 202lbs this November. A huge deer for Vermont. Most trophies on the East Coast are taken in Maine or Canada.

BallHawk
02-19-2007, 07:27 PM
Oh that's a duck? The way I lean in my computer chair it looked like some type of bird with its beak open.

Wow, I feel stupid.

PackerPro42
02-19-2007, 07:30 PM
Oh that's a duck? The way I lean in my computer chair it looked like some type of bird with its beak open.

Wow, I feel stupid.

What?

Freak Out
02-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Not a big surprise that Irvin got the boot.....he's a slow learner. I don’t care one way or the other though...I rarely watched the pre-game shows.
I hated Irvin as a player though! I wanted to see his legs broken because he and Novacheck were always beating us.