PDA

View Full Version : Gas Prices where you live?

Pages : 1 [2]

Freak Out
06-27-2008, 05:37 PM
Most of the speed limits in the rural West are 75. Most people drive 80.

This is the truth, and the I-15 north from San Bernardino to Barstow usually has everyone going 90+.

I bought a car in Orange a few years ago and drove it back to Alaska. When I first got on I-5 in LA I was being passed by everybody....even cops and I was doing 90 MPH. I thought it was crazy at the time because all you ever hear about is slow moving traffic in Southern California.

Partial
06-27-2008, 06:03 PM
I can see driving slow back East of the Mississippi, but out West we need to drive fast. Stuff is way more spread out.

To save what?...like 15 minutes per hour max?If we go by the 15 minutes an hour your brilliantness estimates then that is a lot of fucking time over the course of a week.

You don't look at that way. At least i wasn't. I was looking at it per day.

If, and a HUGE if, you have to drive one full hour on the freeway..then you would save that amount of time. But, how many out west are actually driving that amount...surely not on the 405.

So, let's half that...you save 15 minutes per day...so, 75 minutes per week. That ain't much savings.

What crack are you smoking? 25% isn't a lot?!?

MadtownPacker
06-27-2008, 07:51 PM

If, and a HUGE if, you have to drive one full hour on the freeway..then you would save that amount of time. But, how many out west are actually driving that amount...surely not on the 405.

So, let's half that...you save 15 minutes per day...so, 75 minutes per week. That ain't much savings.Fuck, do I really want to so this, do I really want to debate with a guy who wont admit to shit...

You said per hour dipship. I drive a hour freeway during the work week easily. and like Campbell said, shit is more spread out over here.

Fuck, when I went to WI last year I though Nutz was driving like a lil bitch goes 65. Him and Skin thought they where actually going a good speed. I dont remember what freeway it was but it went from Milw to GB and the only car I saw doing 70 was some asians who where passing everyone.

But lets go by your NEW estimate of 15 minutes per day or 1.5 hrs a week. Time cannot be bought or traded for or anything. 1.5 hrs is 6 hours a month and breaks down to about 65 hours a year. Thats means you gained almost 3 days. These are YOUR estimates so dont come back with some BS arguement. Not bad if you ask me.

Scott Campbell
06-27-2008, 08:20 PM
I can see driving slow back East of the Mississippi, but out West we need to drive fast. Stuff is way more spread out.

To save what?...like 15 minutes per hour max?If we go by the 15 minutes an hour your brilliantness estimates then that is a lot of fucking time over the course of a week.

So, let's half that...you save 15 minutes per day...so, 75 minutes per week. That ain't much savings.

If you place no value on your time - I guess not.

Scott Campbell
06-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Fuck, when I went to WI last year I though Nutz was driving like a lil bitch goes 65.

I haven't lived there for a long time, but Milwaukee was pretty aggressive about enforcing speed limits.

Partial
06-27-2008, 08:34 PM

If you place no value on your time - I guess not.

Its a HUGE amount. 25% he said was even half of what he was mentioning if i'm understanding correctly? Hell, I would love to cut down 25% of my commute. That would be truly nice!

MJZiggy
06-27-2008, 10:15 PM
He was being sarcastic...

Tyrone Bigguns
06-28-2008, 03:53 PM

So, let's half that...you save 15 minutes per day...so, 75 minutes per week. That ain't much savings.Fuck, do I really want to so this, do I really want to debate with a guy who wont admit to shit...

You said per hour dipship. I drive a hour freeway during the work week easily. and like Campbell said, shit is more spread out over here.

Fuck, when I went to WI last year I though Nutz was driving like a lil bitch goes 65. Him and Skin thought they where actually going a good speed. I dont remember what freeway it was but it went from Milw to GB and the only car I saw doing 70 was some asians who where passing everyone.

But lets go by your NEW estimate of 15 minutes per day or 1.5 hrs a week. Time cannot be bought or traded for or anything. 1.5 hrs is 6 hours a month and breaks down to about 65 hours a year. Thats means you gained almost 3 days. These are YOUR estimates so dont come back with some BS arguement. Not bad if you ask me.

Of course it can't be bought or traded. No argument.

The question is of value. Do you value the time you save compared with the money you save.

A very small subset of people commute like you do...and those that do drive an hour a day..most aren't using a freeway that is unimpeded or fully using the freeway.

And, for those people..i would say what i've always said..we need better mass trans..trains, etc. Or, do what others are doing...work from home or have 4 day work weeks. Or, maybe it is time for this country to stop promoting living farther and farther from work.

I just find the whole 3 days a year argument hilarious, though. Are you super efficient the rest of the time..or do you just use this argument in the car. I picture you, kramer like..if you remember the episode.

I sure hope you don't ever fritter any time away, make sure you plan everything to the nth degree so as not to waste time.

P.S. Partial. Who said anything about 25% of commute time. Stop being a dope. You, i highly doubt are commuting from one freeway exit to the next. And, if you are like most people on the milwaukee freeways...your ability to drive fast is determined at rush hour by the traffic and other drivers rather than your car's ability.

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Time to update this thread....still high all over AK..Anchorage prices are the lowest at $4.15 for reg and $4.70 or so for diesel.

Scott Campbell
09-19-2008, 04:54 PM
I just paid $3.57 here in Salt Lake - lowest its been in a long time. Time to pull the Hummer out of mothballs!

Zool
09-19-2008, 07:06 PM
$3.79

MJZiggy
09-19-2008, 07:25 PM
The other day I was in one of the "funkier" neighborhoods and at the shiny new, spiffy station it was $4.18. At the dump across the street it was $3.65...

retailguy
09-19-2008, 07:38 PM
$4.19 in Daley country (well in the suburbs anyhow).... gotta love those "special" blends that the air quality management districts make the oil companies do.... it's always .25 more than the average.

GBRulz
09-19-2008, 07:49 PM
$3.95

Freak Out
09-19-2008, 08:06 PM
$4.19 in Daley country (well in the suburbs anyhow).... gotta love those "special" blends that the air quality management districts make the oil companies do.... it's always .25 more than the average.

You talking ethanol? We used to have to do it here in the winter but it was repealed because it was having zero effect on air quality.

retailguy
09-19-2008, 08:31 PM

You talking ethanol? We used to have to do it here in the winter but it was repealed because it was having zero effect on air quality.

No, I'm talking about mandating special fuel blends. An example is no butane which is commonly used to boost octane levels. They outlaw use of butane which is cheap and "force" refiners to use more expensive blending components as butane vaporizes at lower temperatures and pressures creating pollution and contributing to global warming.

these restrictions are common in California, Chicago, Milwaukee and a few other places. Yeah, they regulate ethanol levels too.

Kiwon
09-19-2008, 09:51 PM
5/13/2007 - $4.89 a gallon for diesel.

8/10/2007 - $5.52 a gallon for diesel.

5/1/2008 - $6.56 a gallon for diesel.

5/31/2008 - $7.09 a gallon for diesel.

9/20/2008 - $5.91 a gallon for diesel.

LL2
09-20-2008, 08:20 AM
In the past two weeks in my area of the Chicago burbs it went from $3.82 to $4.35 and to now around $4.09....yet the price per barrel of oil is around $100. Gas prices can sure shoot up quick and take forever to drop again.

GBRulz
11-09-2008, 10:50 AM
$2.15

Filling up my car for $25 seems like stealing...lol

MJZiggy
11-09-2008, 10:52 AM
Wow, we're still in the $2.40-2.65 range here.

texaspackerbacker
11-09-2008, 10:59 AM
$2.01 here. I've heard it's $1.96 about 40 miles away.

Badgerinmaine
11-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Prices are varying wildly here in central Maine right now...I've seen as high as $2.55 a gallon and as low as $2.26. MSN has a website that looks up current gas prices within a given zip code, and they are saying the national average is $2.299 now.

Gunakor
11-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I've seen stations in Milwaukee selling regular unleaded for 2.05 per gallon. But those stations are gouging on mid grade and premium. Mid grade is 2.45 and premium is 2.60 at the same stations. So much for the old pricing scale which had mid grade only 10 cents per gallon more expensive than regular, and premium only 10 cents more per gallon than mid grade.

Where I live (about 15-20 miles north of Milwaukee) regular unleaded is still 2.25, but the price for mid grade and premium are on the same scale as before (2.35 and 2.45 respectively).

Freak Out
05-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Why the fuck are prices rising again? Demand is at a 10 year low at the very least and crude stock in the US is up from the data I can find.

Freak Out
05-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Funds are buying the shit out of oil futures it seems.

Tyrone Bigguns
05-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Why the fuck are prices rising again? Demand is at a 10 year low at the very least and crude stock in the US is up from the data I can find.

New CAFE standards means more driving. :roll:

RashanGary
05-20-2009, 08:15 PM
They always go up before memorial day and drop a couple weeks after.

retailguy
05-20-2009, 08:27 PM

A small part of it is the market (summer driving), part of it is higher crude and commodity prices of the last two weeks, but most of it is the switch to summer blend gasolines. Can't blend with butane during the summer months because it vaporizes at low temperatures. Remember vapor lock? That doesn't happen anymore.

Higher quality blendstocks cost more. When you have to blend with them, the price goes up.