PDA

View Full Version : Nick Collins, playermaker or just a guy?

RashanGary
02-18-2007, 08:57 PM
Whie Collins and every other DB in the Packers secondary were reponsible for giving up quite a few big plays, I think that turnovers are what separate the plamakers from the "just a guy" guys. Well, that and consistancy.

Collins had 3 picks and 2 forced fumbles, coming up second on the team in TO's forced. I sort of sat back and thought his season was a loss, but looking back, he did impact the game at least 5 times in a big way. "Playmakers" as many like to call the studs to it conistantly and 8 is more of the number we are looking for but for a second year guy, it could be argued he is well on his way.

Not eveyr player in the league has the ability to change the game. Collins has shown that ability; all he needs is the consistancy. Let's look for some of that in the 07 season and paired with Kampman, Hawk and Woodson I think we have the base for an entertaining and consistantly "game winning" defense.

The off-season is always time for optimism. I thought I'd stir the koolaid and let the sugar come to the top.

Partial
02-18-2007, 09:05 PM
He had a great game against the Bears and showed the speed and tenasity at times that fill him with endless potential. But, I don't know that he'll pull it together and become a stud. I wouldn't say he was solid last year, he was very up and down all season long.

HarveyWallbangers
02-18-2007, 09:15 PM
He was solid, but didn't make plays his rookie year. He was mostly ordinary the first 2/3 of this year. He started making plays at the end. I'm hoping it was the start of something big for him. There are only a handful of young safeties in the league with his athletic ability and willingness to tackle.

Bretsky
02-18-2007, 09:20 PM
My glass if half full for Collins; as TT adds quality to this defense he should only get better. His upside is strong.

The guys got a ton of talent that needs to be further developed.

Who is our secondary coach again ? oh crap...............

Well, I'm still a believer

RashanGary
02-18-2007, 09:27 PM
He's up and down for certain but his ups *wicked hits ala Chad Johnson and that game where he knocked Corey Dillon out of the game and everyone thought it was Barnett and 4.38 speed on a tight packed body* are so rare that you have to think he'll get better with experience and maybe put it all together in his 3rd year.

superfan
02-18-2007, 10:09 PM
I certainly wouldn't put Collins in the "just a guy" category. To me, that description signifies an average player who has tapped out his potential. Collins played very well for a rookie in '05, looked lost and ineffective often in '06, then started to get it together with the rest of the secondary late in '06.

Right now he's inconsistent with a lot of upside. Let's hope the progress late in the season is more a sign of good things to come, and less a factor of playing some weak offenses down the stretch.

If Collins was a stock, I'd label him a solid "Buy".

mmmdk
02-19-2007, 03:25 AM
I certainly wouldn't put Collins in the "just a guy" category. To me, that description signifies an average player who has tapped out his potential. Collins played very well for a rookie in '05, looked lost and ineffective often in '06, then started to get it together with the rest of the secondary late in '06.

Right now he's inconsistent with a lot of upside. Let's hope the progress late in the season is more a sign of good things to come, and less a factor of playing some weak offenses down the stretch.

If Collins was a stock, I'd label him a solid "Buy".

I'll buy that! 8)

VermontPackFan
02-19-2007, 05:41 AM
I dont think his play got better later in the season by coincidence. Not only did he have a few more games under his belt, he got used to the knucklehead he was playing along side. From what I have heard/read, MM tried to manage the defensive secondary while he could barely handle his own position. That had to affect Collins play and I think later in the season he realized that he was his own man and built on that confidence.

I see nothing but upside for this kid. Especially if he is paired with a good rookie via the draft or Underwood takes over for MM. Putting Collins in a leadership role will only build on his confidence and bring out the playmaker in him.

red
02-19-2007, 08:11 AM
He's up and down for certain but his ups *wicked hits ala Chad Johnson and that game where he knocked Corey Dillon out of the game and everyone thought it was Barnett and 4.38 speed on a tight packed body* are so rare that you have to think he'll get better with experience and maybe put it all together in his 3rd year.

i don't agree with calling him a big hitter at this point

whats he had in his two year career, 3 or 4 big hits? if a guy comes over the middle he has to put the fear of god in him. he needs to drop someone hard a couple times a game

he's more then just a guy, but he's not a play maker yet either, but he might continue to grow into one.

if his position coach doesn't continue to retard his progress

wist43
02-19-2007, 09:04 AM
I watched a couple of games this weekend in which Collins had a pick in each (SF, @ Chi)... he played fairly well in both games, so hopefully he'll continue to improve.

He tends to be invisible in a lot of games, though... hopefully he's not one of these guys that can do it, but only when he feels like it. Seems like a good kid, even if he isn't very bright.

Doesn't seem to have the "punk factor" working against him.

Patler
02-19-2007, 09:37 AM
In 2006, for the most part, he played like "just a guy". As Wist said, he was invisible many games. That doesn't mean that he can't be more than that. This should be a critical year for him. If he is ever going to be more than he has been, we should start to see it this year. If he doesn't step up, they will have to find another safety to be the difference maker back there, and just allow Collins to assume the role of "they other guy" at safety.

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2007, 12:26 PM
We started to see it at the end of the year. I think more is to come. I know Patler has been critical of his play, but it's not the worst thing if a safety is inevitable. It's better than getting burned all of the time--like Manuel. Anyways, I think he's a pretty big hitter. I've seen him make a number of big hits. When I watch him, I see a safety that isn't just a coverage guy. He'll come up and stick you.

Tony Oday
02-19-2007, 12:29 PM
I like it when safties are invisable except on T.O.s and big hits that means they are doing their job :)

MJZiggy
02-19-2007, 12:36 PM
Or that everyone else is doing their jobs. 8)

wist43
02-19-2007, 12:44 PM
About the only guy on a team that I want to be invisible is the punter.

Patler
02-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Top notch safeties are anything but invisible. They make solid hits in the running game and on passes. They cause incompletions from tipping the ball, hitting the receiver, AND causing the receiver to alligator arm the ball when in the safety's area. They are around the ball even when not making the hit. Their names are heard from the announcers with frequency.

That was not what Collins did last year, except in one or two games.

I have not given up on him at all; but he still has some big steps to take if he is to become top-notch. He has time, and even if he doesn't take the next step, he will still be an OK safety to have back there.

Scott Campbell
02-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Troy Polamalu - anything but invisible.

Tony Oday
02-19-2007, 01:56 PM

Thought he was a SS and in our defense I thought the Safties where supposed to be center fielders that stay deeper than the deepest guy with not a lot of duties in the run game.

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2007, 03:42 PM

Thought he was a SS and in our defense I thought the Safties where supposed to be center fielders that stay deeper than the deepest guy with not a lot of duties in the run game.

Exactly. Not completely invisible, but there are good safeties (who don't play in the box), but don't make a lot of plays. Are you telling me you wouldn't have been happy if Manuel was invisible this year.

Kind of interesting. Collins 5 turnovers forced were the 4th most by an NFC safety. His 14 pass deflections led all NFC safeties. He was 10th in the NFC among safeties in tackles. The guys ahead of him are mostly "in the box" safeties like Adrian Wilson and Brian Dawkins.

The Shadow
02-19-2007, 04:05 PM
Collins would benefit from having an experienced- and talented - safety partner back there with him. Eugene Robinson was of great help to the young Darren Sharper.
Manuel talked the talk, but could never walk the walk.

VegasPackFan
02-19-2007, 05:19 PM
I would have to say the NC right now seems to be a very good run supporter but needs to improve in pass coverage.

He consistently makes solid hard hitting tackles and there are a few "jacked up" hits here and there. I for one always appreciate a guy that plays D who actually knows how to tackle. So many players now days are only looking for the highlight reel hit and fail to make the expected play. That why I also appreciate AJ HAwk.

So if NC gets better in coverage, he will be more than just a guy for sure.

Fritz
02-20-2007, 06:44 AM
I remember reading an article a few years back, after Darren Sharper finally came in to his own. There was much consternation after Sharp's second year - a sense that he wasn't really developing and didn't have ball instincts (T.O.'s catch in the playoffs). Then he came on strong - but it took longer than people thought it should. Sharper's point was that safety as he was expected to play it was a difficult position to truly understand, and only with time could he learn to play without having to think about it.

Given this, I think Collins will only get better.