Partial
02-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Why? He can't catch a football.

Bretsky
02-19-2007, 11:32 PM
He's the #3 if the don't find anybody better I guess

Kiwon
02-19-2007, 11:32 PM
Grateful for his help, particularly in 2005 with all the injuries, but hardly a key component in a top-tier offense. The Pack needs a serious upgrade at this position. Bubba, Martin, and Lee aren't exactly striking fear in opposing defenses.

HarveyWallbangers
02-19-2007, 11:35 PM
I was very disappointed in him this year, but I still think there's enough talent not to give up on (as a third TE) just yet.

Jimx29
02-19-2007, 11:52 PM
Probably cost about $17 American to sign.

Partial
02-20-2007, 06:59 AM
Right, but by signing him (albeit a one-year extension) doesn't that pretty much say they are sticking with what they've got? They've been there, done that. I say move on to bigger and better things.

BallHawk
02-20-2007, 07:08 AM
Right, but by signing him (albeit a one-year extension) doesn't that pretty much say they are sticking with what they've got? They've been there, done that. I say move on to bigger and better things.

He's shown some flashes of talent, so I don't see why not. It's not like they're signing him up to be the #1 or #2 TE. Also, I feel a bit more confident having a TE who knows the system and who the coaches know, rather than just signing a street FA to be our #3.

Patler
02-20-2007, 07:33 AM

Over the course of the next few months the Packers and all NFL teams will each have 85-100 players on their roster. They will then begin the culling process, to first get down to the training camp maximum and finally to the 53 man roster. He could easily be gone before the start of the season, if not before training camp even starts. It will all depend on who else they can sign, or draft.

Teams like to bring back a lot of their veterans for the off season so they have enough players who know the routine to make it easier for the ones new to the team. It makes workouts and practices more efficient and more productive. It's looking less and less like David Martin will return, so entering the off-season with two veterans isn't bad.

KYPack
02-20-2007, 07:43 AM

Over the course of the next few months the Packers and all NFL teams will each have 85-100 players on their roster. They will then begin the culling process, to first get down to the training camp maximum and finally to the 53 man roster. He could easily be gone before the start of the season, if not before training camp even starts. It will all depend on who else they can sign, or draft.

Teams like to bring back a lot of their veterans for the off season so they have enough players who know the routine to make it easier for the ones new to the team. It makes workouts and practices more efficient and more productive. It's looking less and less like David Martin will return, so entering the off-season with two veterans isn't bad.

True dat.

A whole new TE crew would make for some piss poor mini-camp reps.

I have a beef with every TE we've got.

Bubba had the worst season a TE can have, but we've got to keep him around until we can find a replacement.

Patler, what signs are there that Martin's gone?

(Not that I give a shit!)

red
02-20-2007, 08:19 AM
i hope patlers right, otherwise, this sucks

we should have all new TE's after how porr they played last year

Patler
02-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Patler, what signs are there that Martin's gone?

(Not that I give a shit!)

I have seen anecdotal references since the end of the season, but the most definitive was just a couple days ago. It said the Packers had attempted to initiate discussions with Martin's agent, but he was not receptive to even opening discussions with them at this time. It looks like he wants to try free agency first. Can't say that I blame him. A fresh start would be good for him.

BooHoo
02-20-2007, 08:39 PM
I guess this is a good insurance program. Keep a veteran on staff until you know you have an upgrade on hand.

Creepy
02-21-2007, 07:15 AM
GB paid a bonus of less than 100K. If he is cut the lose the bonus only. Not a big deal. Lee has shown signs of being a receiving TE, but has had too many drops to be consisdered any better than an avg #2 or a good #3 TE.

What happened to all those Bubba lovers that wanted Gb to show hi the money. Thisis after he caught all those 2/3 yard TDs from Brett. Franks is a good blocking TE with average receiving skills. he is still a good TE for GB. What they need is a TE who can go out and catch some passes. If GB should get Graham in FA, then that will open up the short TE patterns Franks is best at.

Martin will get a rude awakening if he tests the market. His video clips will look great, but once they look at his injury status, teams will not pay him big bucks. he will no t even be offered a big contract based on incentives. You have to have at least completed one year as a starter without innury before anybody will put any real cash forward. Martin will be in a Packer uniform this year, but may end up with less after FA starts than before.

Gb will try to sign barnett before they go after Thomas. Barnett is in the final year fo his contract and ifthey want to keep him they want to do it before signing Thomas. Thomas will cost big money, and should he come to GB could make barnett look better tha he is. Then barnett will wantthose same figures in his contract or threaten FA. GB will sign barnett to an extension to puthim at least 4 more years in GB, and then be ready to throw money at Thomas.