PDA

View Full Version : OFFSEASON FREE AGENTS PACK MUST SIGN: VOTE & COMMENT

TopHat
02-20-2007, 12:23 AM
MARCH 2ND, THE PACKER NATION VIEW OUR PRIORITIES FOR F/S SIGNING NEEDS?

THE "A" LIST BASED UPON PACKER INTERESTS, THE INSIDER INFO, IN THE TT POLL AND F/A-DRAFT WATCH THREAD.

WHOOPS: GRAHAM NOT LISTED & STALLWORTH WITH PHILLY, CANNOT EDIT IN. THUS, VOTE AND COMMENT.

PACKER FREE AGENTS, I.E. GREEN AND JENKINS, DISCUSSED IN F/A THREAD ETC.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

HarveyWallbangers
02-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Well, I'd say Grant, Ken Hamlin, or Michael Lewis. I wouldn't mind Stallworth either, but I doubt he becomes seriously available.

OS PA
02-20-2007, 12:42 AM
Deon Grant is the only player on that list that I see as a sure starter and sure upgrade over what we have. Deon Grant would also fill a major whole in our team's defensive backfield.

As someone did for this for Thomas, I guess i'll do it for Grant.

http://www.raisport.rai.it/RaiSport/pub/static/85600/20051030NFLRamsMcDonaldvsJaguarsGrant.jpg
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-08/25077301.jpg
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-08/24853657.jpghttp://images.nfl.com/photos/img6078808.jpghttp://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2006/10/04/PH2006100401030.jpg Ow.

Quick Deon Grant Stats:
Hasn't missed a game in 6 Seasons
Has played for the Panthers and the Jag's in his 7 NFL Seasons
Is only 27

The only problem I see with bringing Deon Grant in is having to switch either him or Nick Collins to Strong Safety. Nick Collins would probably get the bump and that might make his glory year one or two more years away.

BallHawk
02-20-2007, 06:34 AM
The two guys I want the most aren't on there; Hamlin and Graham.

PackerPro42
02-20-2007, 06:39 AM
The two guys I want the most aren't on there; Hamlin and Graham.

I'll second that, and if Graham doesn't work out I want Johnson.

TopHat
02-20-2007, 10:22 AM
Pack should focus upon Grant, Steinbach, Johnson [or Graham], & Bennett.

BF4MVP
02-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Johnson had 82 catches just a couple of seasons ago..That's like 30 more than Bubba has ever had in a season..Sign him!

Deion Grant would be good, too, but I could only vote for 1, so I voted Johnson..

Packnut
02-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Defense Defense Defense

GRANT

Brando19
02-20-2007, 02:27 PM
Doesn't Stallworth play for Philadelphia?

TopHat
02-20-2007, 02:53 PM
Doesn't Stallworth play for Philadelphia?

CORRECT. TYPO, UNABLE TO EDIT, BUT IRRELEVANT TO VOTING.

BallHawk
02-20-2007, 03:28 PM
Johnson had 82 catches just a couple of seasons ago..That's like 30 more than Bubba has ever had in a season..Sign him!

Deion Grant would be good, too, but I could only vote for 1, so I voted Johnson..

Only bad thing about Johnson is that he is the definition of injury risk.

the_idle_threat
02-20-2007, 06:01 PM
I posted this in another thread, but it bears repeating here ...

We don't want Eric Johnson. We have a similar guy already and his name is David Martin. Plays well for a while and then when you start to count on him, he gets hurt. You end up wasting money and a roster spot on a part-time starter and filling in most of the year with backups.

Look at Johnson's history (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/289090) , and don't get too caught up in the one big season out of six. Johnson has a very Rex Grossman-esque durability history. At least Grossman (or David Martin for that matter) shows up for a game or two at least each year. Johnson spent all of 2003 and all of 2005 on injured reserve. Didn't play a single game either season.

Guys who are this injury prone can't be depended upon. Worthy of a backup spot at best, and we need a starter.

Also, you will notice by looking at Johnson's numbers that he is not a down-the-seam speed TE like we really need to stretch the offense. He's a dink-and-dunk guy who moves the chains. We have that already in Bubba, and Bubba's problems with drops are more than offset by Johnson's durability issues. I'd rather keep Bubba around, perhaps sending him to a Lasik eye surgeon in the offseason, rather than recycle another team's garbage in the name of "grass-is-greener."

Bretsky
02-20-2007, 07:01 PM
He was not my first vote, but IMO Steinbach would really upgrade the offensive line on this team.

Creepy
02-21-2007, 07:39 AM
Don't see one name GB must sign. On the other hand I think that Graham and Thomas should draw the most interest for GB. Graham is the TE who can stretch the field and go down the seam. Thus allowing Bubba to make his moves at in the short passing game.

Thoams wouyld be a nice addition on the outside and is a good pas rusher. He would also be a significant improvement. Also, should Barnett want too much money or get hurt, it was Thomas who replaced Lewis in baltimore an showed thatthe Ravens could play great defense without him. If anybody is close to a must sign player, Thoas is it.

of the others only Bennett is worth a look at. His size and pass receiving abilities make him a good #3 for GB. As the slot receiver he will be taller than the LBs and safeties that have to cover him. He is a faster and better talented Ruvell Martin type receiver.

TopHat
02-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Don't see one name GB must sign.

CORRECTLY, I LEFT THEM TO F/A THREAD & COMING ENDLESS SEPARATE THREADS.

TopHat
02-21-2007, 07:29 PM
THOMAS TAGGED....

Charles Woodson
02-21-2007, 09:05 PM
THOMAS TAGGED....

Shitt well whatever

PackerPro42
02-21-2007, 09:51 PM
That sucks, Jon Clayton was just saying that he wasn't going to get tagged. I wasn't big on him as a Packers anyways, but it's kind of a bummer to hear that the Packers won't be bidding on yet another player.

falco
02-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Everything recent I'm seeing says he will not be tagged...even KFFL isn't reporting he's tagged; do you have a link tophat?

TopHat
02-22-2007, 12:03 AM
Everything recent I'm seeing says he will not be tagged...even KFFL isn't reporting he's tagged; do you have a link tophat?

NFL NETWORK NEWS/SOURCE HAD IT WRONG. HE IS NOT TAGGED, BUT WE WILL KNOW TODAY ABSOLUTELY EITHER WAY!

Baltimore Sun blog about Thomas and Lewis:

Despite speculation, the Ravens have yet to put the franchise tag on linebacker Adalius Thomas. The Ravens are still in last-minute negotiations, and they will probably carry on until tomorrow morning. It still seems likely the Ravens will allow Thomas to hit the free-agent market unless they can reach an agreement. Also, the Ravens have had some talks with running back Jamal Lewis, but have not reached an agreement.

TopHat
02-22-2007, 12:26 PM
On the Sidelines by JA PC

...The Packers talked to Cullen Jenkins agent last night and are meeting today. They both are optimistic a deal can or will get done, but if not the Packers will put a tender on Jenkins (I was told a 1st round tender). Either way, I was told that the Packers will still go hard after Adalius Thomas, who they consider the top free agent on the market. Speaking of Thomas, he will NOT be named the Ravens "Franchise player". They believe they can resign him while he is on the market, not to mention they would be over the cap if the did tender him. The 49ers and Packers are the front runners tom land him, but the Raiders, Jets, Patriots and Browns also have an interest in him.
Packers GM Ted Thompson caught flack for trading down in round 2 when Chad Jackson (the former WR from Florida) was available, and drafting Greg Jennings. But Thompson was not sold on Jackson's health or ability to stay healthy. Well that instinct proved right as Jackson was hampered by nagging injuries all year and now it comes out he tore his ACL in the AFC title game.
In a seemingly confirmation of what they plan to do in the draft The Green Bay Packers are said to have created a virtual chamber where a player enters it and is shown a number plays on a screen and they are asked to determine the scheme and packages and how they would direct the defense. The Packers are taking the lead in the use of this new technology that has been used by Oklahoma and Auburn
Packers FB William Henderson wants to return, but the ball is in the Packers court and they are deciding on whether or not they want him back. I was told they will give him word in the upcoming weeks.
Reports surfaced yesterday linking Houston and Denver to Packers RB Ahman Green, but other teams, most notably the Jets, Giants, Browns, Lions and Vikings also have interest. Green, who needs just 45 yards to break Jim Taylor's Packers all time rushing mark, wants to resign with the Packers, who are open to a bringing him back, at the right price....

TopHat
02-23-2007, 06:51 PM
8) 8)

TopHat
02-23-2007, 07:04 PM
Sporting News magazine, at its end of the NFL section, had a Hard Truth section AND about GB:

QB Brett favre is coming back for another year, but anybody who thinks the Packers are playoff-worthy right now needs a reality check. GM TT needs to make a bold move, the way former GM Ron Wolf did when he signed DE Reggie White, picked up WR Andre Rison, and traded for FS Eugene Robinson. There are ways to make GB dramatically better in the short term, and Thompson needs to look beyond the draft.