PDA

View Full Version : From the NFL Czr - John Czarnecki

K-town
04-24-2006, 08:56 PM
Do the Green Bay Packers really want to send a message to Brett Favre, convincing him not to retire? Well, GM Ted Thompson could do exactly that by selecting Maryland tight end Vernon Davis with the fifth overall pick.

Most mock drafts have the freaky-talented Davis going sixth overall to the San Francisco 49ers, a team that has needed such a weapon since Brent Jones retired.

With Bubba Franks on the roster, the Packers could be thinking they don't need another quality tight end. But Davis is faster than Franks and could actually give Favre a reliable mid-level receiving threat, a definite chain mover.

Defense is a priority for the Packers, but Davis would be a compelling choice.

ND72
04-24-2006, 09:03 PM
this draft is not about convincing favre to come back. it's about estabilishing our next great players. if thompson is smart, he doesn't even have favre on his mind on draft day. he drafts based on what will improve this team, with or without favre. it isn't about this year...

MadtownPacker
04-24-2006, 09:06 PM
this draft is not about convincing favre to come back. it's about estabilishing our next great players. if thompson is smart, he doesn't even have favre on his mind on draft day. he drafts based on what will improve this team, with or without favre. it isn't about this year...

Sadly, I must agree. The era is ending and TT must look ahead.

Now FAs? Thats a different question.

jack's smirking revenge
04-24-2006, 09:08 PM

Agreed. Thompson needs to build for the future; not appease Favre. Honestly, there's no guarantee that Favre will like our draft picks, no matter what we do. Heck, should we fly him up to the war room and have HIM conduct the draft, just to get him to agree to come back? Favre is a QB, not a GM. If he doesn't like the component parts to the team as a whole, then maybe he should move on.

Hate to be cheesy (HA!), there's no "I" in team. (And, to quote a very funny movie, "As Mr. Sloan always says, there is no "I" in team, but there is an "I" in pie. And there's an "I" in meat pie. Meat is the anagram of team.... I don't know what he was talking about." Anyone know the movie?)

tyler

b bulldog
04-24-2006, 09:48 PM
a NEW ERA HAS BEGUN and hopefully it will be a fruitful one.