PDA

View Full Version : Robinson Doing Some Time

Packnut
02-20-2007, 02:14 PM
ST. PETER, Minn. -- Green Bay Packers wide receiver Koren Robinson will have to serve 90 days in jail for fleeing police last August, a prosecutor said.

Robinson

Robinson was sentenced in Nicollet County Court on Tuesday for leading officers on a high-speed chase from St. Peter to Mankato during Vikings training camp. Robinson was a Viking in 2005.

Assistant County Attorney Paul Tanis said Robinson will be on probation for three years. He'll also have to do 80 hours of community service and pay a $1,500 fine.

Robinson spent the 2001-04 seasons with the Seattle Seahawks.

Tanis said Robinson is to report to the county jail by March 1, although he can arrange to serve the 90-day sentence in Wisconsin if he chooses to do so.

Robinson can also serve the sentence at the same time he serves 90 days for violating his probation in a separate drunken-driving case in Kirkland, Wash., last year.

Robinson showed remorse in court Tuesday -- saying he's been attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and trying to avoid alcohol.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

2 comments on "Packers' Robinson sentenced to 90 days in jai

Packnut
02-20-2007, 02:15 PM
6 months in jail? Yeah, he'll be ready for this season. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zool
02-20-2007, 02:25 PM
Am I missing something? 90days is 3 months.

Packnut
02-20-2007, 02:29 PM
Am I missing something? 90days is 3 months.

He got 90 days also for violating probation. I'm no legal expert but I assume he has to serve both sentences?

Charles Woodson
02-20-2007, 02:39 PM
who cares about robinson, you changed your avatar

cheesner
02-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Depends on the type of sentence:

concurrent sentence n. when a criminal defendant is convicted of two or more crimes, a judge sentences him/her to a certain period of time for each crime. Then out of compassion, leniency, plea bargaining, or the fact that the several crimes are interrelated, the judge will rule that the sentences may all be served at the same time, with the longest period controlling.

Zool
02-20-2007, 02:40 PM
Robinson can also serve the sentence at the same time he serves 90 days for violating his probation in a separate drunken-driving case in Kirkland, Wash., last year.

I guess I take this as meaning concurrent time served.

bigcoz75
02-20-2007, 03:00 PM
Yep looks like 3 months and out to me

Packnut
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
who cares about robinson, you changed your avatar

I know. One look and I fell in love with Ana, so I decided to be a one woman man. (for the time being) :lol:

Packnut
02-20-2007, 03:08 PM

concurrent sentence n. when a criminal defendant is convicted of two or more crimes, a judge sentences him/her to a certain period of time for each crime. Then out of compassion, leniency, plea bargaining, or the fact that the several crimes are interrelated, the judge will rule that the sentences may all be served at the same time, with the longest period controlling.

I did'nt think a judge in 1 state could alter a sentence imposed on a judge from another state. Oh well, either way ANY time in jail is gonna suck. On the other hand, he can use the time to work out if the jail he goes to has a weight room.

BobDobbs
02-20-2007, 04:45 PM
"Robinson showed remorse in court Tuesday -- saying he's been attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and trying to avoid alcohol. "

Trying to avoid alcohol? If drinking costs you 10 million dollars you might want to go ahead and move to the doing stage.

pittstang5
02-20-2007, 04:59 PM
"Robinson showed remorse in court Tuesday -- saying he's been attending Alcoholics Anonymous meetings and trying to avoid alcohol. "

Trying to avoid alcohol? If drinking costs you 10 million dollars you might want to go ahead and move to the doing stage.

I saw that too and said "Trying....TRYING.....T...R...Y...I...N...G! Haven't you learned yet!

the_idle_threat
02-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Don't drop the soap!

cheesner
02-20-2007, 08:05 PM

I saw that too and said "Trying....TRYING.....T...R...Y...I...N...G! Haven't you learned yet!
It is a horrible beast - alcohol. Trying to quit is not easy.

It has cost me my marriage. My home. My job. My friends.

I am just going to give it one more chance - I still have my car!

FritzDontBlitz
02-20-2007, 08:05 PM
if they give him one day off for every good day served (as some states do) he could possibly be out in 45 days.

not that tt and m3 are twiddling their thumbs or anything waiting for him....

MJZiggy
02-20-2007, 08:11 PM
They can't. He could serve until his NFL suspension is up and it wouldn't make any difference. They can't talk to him until the league says so.

Creepy
02-21-2007, 07:28 AM
The article I saw said that he could serve his 90 days in WI, and have it run concurrently with the 90 days he got for the Washington convction. This means he will have completed his jail time long before the season starts.

I do need clarifiaction. I remember players being allowed to attend off-season workouts, trainig camps and play in exhibition games until the regular season starts, then the suspension is imposed at the start of the regualr season. At that time the player no longer is allowed to practice or be with the team.

Since Robinson was given the 1 year suspension, would he still be allowed to be in training camp & exhibition and his suspension start up again when the regular season began. I this is correct then GB can get a handle on whether he is worth keeping. How long does he have to serve before he can request to come back into the league. If less than half a season then it would be good for GB to keep him. It would help with the KR problem and give us a possible good #3 or #4 receiver to boot.

MJZiggy
02-21-2007, 07:45 AM
From what I understand, he is not allowed any contact with the team whatsoever until the NFL ok's his return. He isn't listed on the team roster either.

Patler
02-21-2007, 07:55 AM
The article I saw said that he could serve his 90 days in WI, and have it run concurrently with the 90 days he got for the Washington convction. This means he will have completed his jail time long before the season starts.

I do need clarifiaction. I remember players being allowed to attend off-season workouts, trainig camps and play in exhibition games until the regular season starts, then the suspension is imposed at the start of the regualr season. At that time the player no longer is allowed to practice or be with the team.

Since Robinson was given the 1 year suspension, would he still be allowed to be in training camp & exhibition and his suspension start up again when the regular season began. I this is correct then GB can get a handle on whether he is worth keeping. How long does he have to serve before he can request to come back into the league. If less than half a season then it would be good for GB to keep him. It would help with the KR problem and give us a possible good #3 or #4 receiver to boot.

What you are confusing it with are the players who have received suspensions for a fixed number of games. If handed down during the off-season, they can attend all off season activities, training camp and pre-season games. The suspension starts at the final roster cutdown and extends for the first games of the season. That is what happened with Torrance Marshall a few years back. During the 4 weeks of his suspension, he was allowed no contact with the team.

An interesting situation occured last year. The 4 game suspension for one player spanned their bye week. The ruling was he could have no team contact until the end of the 4th game, so he actually missed 5 weeks with the team.

For whatever the period of the suspension is, from when it starts to when it ends they can have no contact with the team. For Robinson, it is one year.

KYPack
02-21-2007, 08:26 AM

I did'nt think a judge in 1 state could alter a sentence imposed on a judge from another state. Oh well, either way ANY time in jail is gonna suck. On the other hand, he can use the time to work out if the jail he goes to has a weight room.

I assume he's going to the Nicollet County Jail. Most of those county lock-up have no workout facilities. When Jamal Lewis did Federal time, he wasn't ALLOWED to work out.

They are trying to lock these goofs up, not provide a place for them to get buffed out.

red
02-21-2007, 08:36 AM
i don't get this

he gets sentenced twice, but only has to serve one term in jail?

what the hell is that?

"good news, we know you broke the law 7 times in the last year, but you only have to be punished once"

LaFours
02-21-2007, 09:03 AM
i don't get this

he gets sentenced twice, but only has to serve one term in jail?

what the hell is that?

"good news, we know you broke the law 7 times in the last year, but you only have to be punished once"

That's what good lawyers do, they make some sort of deal where their client only gets pinned with one of the numerous charges they committted, and their sentences reflect thsi effort. In Koren's case, his lawyers worked this out so he can serve the sentences he recieved silmultaneously.

Does anybody know the terms of his jail time, will his sentence get reduced for good behavior (i.e. for every two days of good behavior, his sentence is reduced by one day or something to this effect)?