PDA

View Full Version : CHARTER RANT

Bretsky
02-20-2007, 08:42 PM
Charter Cable and Internet Service is the only cable provider in our area.
Charter Internet Services is the only cable broadband I can get.

Both are good quality products, but when it comes to customer service, this company is a great letdown.

Once a year I get incredibly angry at this company; with my short memory I annually forget this occurs until it happens again.

When I first signed up for this service years ago I paid approximately $67 for expanded cable, HBO, Starz, and Cable Internet. A teaser rate to get people in the door.

Then the rate increases began; they began putting in mandatory internet bandwidth upgrades and used that as a reason to continue to hike rates. The Internet portion of this deal has went for $19.99 to $43.99. Honestly, the bandwidth most received at the $19.99 rate was more than sufficient.

Today was another one of those annual days. After watching the Badgers suck crap for the final 10 minutes I opened up my Charter Internet Bill to see the monthly rate increase from $95 to $121. Pretty Irate.

The Internet Portion of this bill went from $29.99 per month to $43.99 and they again hyped a bandwidth increase that I clearly do not need.

When I asked why once again my bill raised, they gave me the standard "you were on a one year special that ended" spiel.

Knowing that they were waiting for me to offer a thanks for the explanation, I hesitated on the line for five second.......waiting for the Charter rep to further explain. Then she indicated she could check to see if there were any ongoing specials that could cut my rate.

Well, they came up with another flippin one year special that would increase my dam bandwith, and lower my payment from the $121 to $108. So the price increase looks like it'll be $13 rather than $26

MY LESSON
Charter will bend you over any opportunity they can; many consumers do not notice these increases and they happily take your extra money.

Charter still continues to bend over even the most skilled consumers.

I detest Charter, but I have no other realistic options so I get half bent over every year.

B

MJZiggy
02-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Isn't there a sattelite internet provider? Hughesnet is the commercial I keep seeing I believe. I have no idea how reliable they are though.

Bretsky
02-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Isn't there a sattelite internet provider? Hughesnet is the commercial I keep seeing I believe. I have no idea how reliable they are though.

I have friends who tried Sattelite in our area; not at all reliable and they got rid of it. Too many outages. Not an options in our area if you want consistent service.

Freak Out
02-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Until there is some competition in the area, and I mean real competition....you are screwed. The ONE cable company (GCI) where I live has done the same crap year after year...and I go through phases of getting pissed and canceling after the rate is raised. I have options here.....a phone company offers DSL with local/long distance phone bundled with the DISH and there are other Internet options but it is hard to compete with digital phone/cable/internet/HD and all the other junk bundled with the service.

HarveyWallbangers
02-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Move

Partial
02-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Charter sucks. So does time warner. Soon naked DSL will be available to set us all free from the filthy cable companies. Internet is outrageously overpriced.

Bretsky
02-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Charter sucks. So does time warner. Soon naked DSL will be available to set us all free from the filthy cable companies. Internet is outrageously overpriced.

I can't wait; and if anybody could tell me how to fight those Charter Pansies about bringing in the NFL Network I'd like to try.

B

GBRulz
02-20-2007, 10:46 PM
B, who is the phone company in your area?

I agree though, the cable pigs suck. I pay $85 a month for DSL, phone and Dish Network. ...through AT&T

Very happy with their service and I will never go back to cable.

AND i'm watching the NFL Network and you're not....hehe

Partial
02-20-2007, 10:50 PM

I agree though, the cable pigs suck. I pay $85 a month for DSL, phone and Dish Network. ...through AT&T

and you have the HD package? damn, that seems like a phenominal price. Do you get premium channels like HBO and whatnot?

Bretsky
02-20-2007, 11:58 PM

Ameritech is the current phone provider, but I actually use McLoud and pay about $13 a month to have a line.

Beyond that I have the high speed net, expanded cable, five hbo stations, Cinemax Stations, and Starz and Encore Stations. Pay around $108 for all of that so with phone I'm at about $121.

But no NFL network for me

red
02-21-2007, 08:19 AM
i would cut out some of the premium channels, and tell them you are doing it because they keep jacking up the price. see if they blink

i mean, seriously, do you need skinemax when you have high speed internet?

GBRulz
02-21-2007, 12:57 PM
B, I would seriously look at the bundles from AT&T, it would really save you a few bucks. You'd get a really sweet deal, too by coming back to AT&T.

Partial, unfortunately, I don't have HD thanks to my neighbors damn birch tree blocking the signal! But if I wanted it, it would be $10-$20 per month more, depending on which package I wanted. I get to watch all my locals in HD because I bypass the dish anyhow. So, watching the Packers in HD makes me a happy camper! I have the TOp 120 package with a dual tuner DVR. Had 3 free months of HBO but got rid of it. I'm doing the Netflix thing instead of having premium movie channels that never have anything good on them anyhow.

Bretsky
02-21-2007, 06:52 PM
i i mean, seriously, do you need skinemax when you have high speed internet?

YES :glug:

esoxx
02-21-2007, 07:15 PM
You're getting off easy Bretsky. I'm paying $146 a month for the "Charter Bundle", Which is digital cable, internet and phone. No premium channels like HBO or Skinemax either. I'm getting back doored pretty good, without lube.

Just got the bill today and it's $150 now. sigh