View Full Version : AHMAN HEADED TO FREE AGENCY ???? JS

Bretsky
02-20-2007, 09:17 PM
A game of tag appears unlikely
Green will probably test the market
By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 20, 2007

The Green Bay Packers have a little more than a week to get running back Ahman Green signed if they want to prevent him from becoming an unrestricted free agent.

Ahman Green will be an unrestricted free agent if he doesn't reach a contract agreement with the Green Bay Packers before March 2. "Green averaged 3.98 yards per carry in '06 and 3.31 in '05, a sharp departure from his 4.67 in 2000-'04. He stumbled too often at the end of runs, caught the ball poorly and had merely four gains of 20 yards or more... Nevertheless, he continued to attack defenses, seldom going down without a fight."

At this point, Green seems interested in testing the market to see how much he's really worth even though his preference appears to be to remain with the Packers. To keep predators away from their leading rusher, the Packers are going to have to find common ground with him fairly soon.

One option that isn't in the cards is the use of a franchise or transition tag to keep Green off the market. It would cost the Packers a one-year offer of $6.9 million to use the franchise designation and $5.9 million to use the transition.

Teams have until Thursday to use either, but with Green having turned 30 Friday and the Packers unwilling to box themselves into a prescribed salary, the deadline will pass without Green Bay playing tag.

"We haven't even thought about that," said Green's agent, Joby Branion. "That's not been discussed."

Branion wouldn't say what Green is seeking, but after making $2 million in salary and $750,000 in incentives last year, the Packers' second-leading all-time rusher is seeking a major increase. Green was coming off a torn thigh tendon when he signed his one-year deal last season and would like to be compensated for posting a sixth career 1,000-yard rushing season.

The Packers probably aren't willing to up the ante such that Green is in the Deuce McAlister, Lamont Jordan, Domanick Davis $5 million- to $6 million-per-year range, but they're probably willing to match what others such as Corey Dillon, Reuben Droughns, Warrick Dunn and Willie Parker average (around $4 million).

Green, who has professed his love for playing in Green Bay and lives there year round, doesn't appear unwilling to go to the market to prove he's worth more than what the Packers are offering.

"I talk with him almost on a daily basis," Branion said. "He indicated he's in the best shape of his life. He's hungry to get out there and compete. He's in tremendously positive spirits. He's excited about the future. He's excited that Brett (Favre) is coming back. He's optimistic about going forward.

"At the same time, he knows it's still a business. He might have to explore other opportunities. He'd be very happy staying in Green Bay, but he may have to address other possibilities."

The problem with the Packers letting Green test the market is that they don't know how other teams view him.

Would it be surprising if the Denver Broncos, who run the same running system the Packers do, make him their lead back? No. Would it be surprising if Green's old coach, Mike Sherman, convinces the Houston Texans to make a bid for him? Absolutely not.

On the other hand, other teams know how much Green likes playing in Green Bay and might not even bother making a run at him. They might also be skeptical whether at age 30 he can be a dominant back again.

Branion has no doubt Green can be that type of player and he's convinced he would be at the top of the free agent list for teams searching for a running back.

"I'd like to believe so," Branion said. "There's Chris Brown, Jamal Lewis, Dominic Rhodes. That's about it. There's not a whole lot of UFAs. There are probably more teams with need for a top quality player than there are players to fill the position."

If the Packers don't re-sign Green, their options are limited. Backup Vernand Morency hasn't proved he can consistently move the chains, Noah Herron has been deemed a third-down back and 2006 rookie Arliss Beach is an unknown.

The Packers could opt for one of the free agents or they could use the draft to replace Green. The ideal situation would be to re-sign Green and draft his successor, creating a two-headed attack for next season.

"I do know Ahman isn't afraid of that," Branion said. "It doesn't matter to him. He's never about stats. He doesn't even know where he ranks every week. He just wants to win a Super Bowl."

The Packers' only other potential unrestricted free agent who is a priority to get signed before March 2 is tight end David Martin. The Packers aren't going to pay big money for a guy who can't stay healthy, but they also know he is their best tight end.

Scott Campbell
02-20-2007, 11:29 PM
At 30, Green's best days are behind him. He may still have a few reasonably productive years left, but how many remain is anybody's guess. If your going to undervalue and lose a guy to FA, better to lose one with limited upside and remaining shelf life. Better you lose a guy like Ahman.

But what a great Packer he's been.

Kiwon
02-21-2007, 12:16 AM
Ahman earned a lot of respect last year by coming back from what many described as a career-threatening injury. He's been one of the few players that consistently gives you a bang for the buck.

The Packers better be careful. They have gone for several long stretches when they couldn't field a decent running back in the past and there might be a danger with Ahman's relative success to think that he is easily replaced. I don't think so.

You don't want to overpay for a aging back but you don't want to lose a solid veteran that can help compensate for a young offensive line. TT's got an important decision to make.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-21-2007, 12:16 AM
At 30, Green's best days are behind him. He may still have a few reasonably productive years left, but how many remain is anybody's guess. If your going to undervalue and lose a guy to FA, better to lose one with limited upside and remaining shelf life. Better you lose a guy like Ahman.

Nah, what a great packer he is. I say keep him for another 2-3 years, it gives us time to find a replacement as well. If we don't re-sign Green this year, then either with our first or second round pick will have to be on a RB.

FritzDontBlitz
02-21-2007, 01:20 AM
ahman was the only steady performer the offense had besides donald driver, losing him would be huge. if the packers dont re-sign ahman then green bay will have no short yardage run game for the next 2 or 3 years.

tt is no dummy. i expect it to be a last minute announcement similar to the kampmann signing, but tt will hold onto ahman for at least another season to give him time to find a suitable replacement.

packrulz
02-21-2007, 06:43 AM
I'm concerned about this since Ahman is GB's best RB. Sometimes last year Ahman would be on the sideline and I thought WTF? Maybe he needed a break for his asthma, or MM wanted to see what the other guys can do. I think Green is worth a 2 year deal for $3-4 mil/yr, he still has that breakaway speed. Either way, I want TT to draft a RB this year, he didn't draft any last year, and he let Davenpoop go.

Creepy
02-21-2007, 06:46 AM
Green wants to stay in GB, but the money still has to be right. The problme is going to bethe bonus. Base pay is now a joke, teams backload contract and make tem sound huge. Green will want at least a three year contact and a 6-8 million in bonus. That woudl leave base pay to average out aroun $4 million a year. GB will probably want to go 4 years to spread out the bonus, but keep it more at an average of 3 million a year.

TT is thinking 3 years is the most that AG may be a #1 back. He doesn't want to overpay and be cap strung with too high a bonus. I think they will sign him with a 12 million dollar 4 year contrcat with 7 million in bonus.

swede
02-21-2007, 07:08 AM
If I know the Minnesota --kings, this is the kind of situation they love to exploit. Watch them make a bid for AG. Either they steal Ahman away fom us, or, at the very least, they push up the $ the Pack has to pay for Batman.

Creepy
02-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Vikings don't want to play too many games as they already spent big money on taylor and don't really need Green. I think the Vikes will stay out of this, they would fear rhat if pushed to high they might win.

wist43
02-21-2007, 07:47 AM

Nah, what a great packer he is. I say keep him for another 2-3 years, it gives us time to find a replacement as well. If we don't re-sign Green this year, then either with our first or second round pick will have to be on a RB.

I agree... letting Green walk is a mistake.

It's not like they're strapped for the cap... go ahead and invest a high pick in a back, but I'd still bring Green back for a couple of years.

Patler
02-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Overpaying Green a bit right now is not a bad thing. He is their best option, and during his productive years he was paid very well, but not like the other "elite" backs, all of whom he outperformed for a 5 year period. The Packers should look at it as payment for past services.

Green was adamant about honoring his contract 3 years ago when many suggested he should demand an upgraded contract. He always said it would work out in the end. I think the Packers respected that last year, and gave him a decent contract for the situation. They should do it again.

red
02-21-2007, 08:30 AM
if hits hits the open market he's going to either coast us a lot more to resign him, or he'll be gone to another team

if he goes, we are screwed. i think you could wave bye bye to any shot at the playoffs next year

Packnut
02-21-2007, 09:17 AM
Green wants to stay. All TT has to do is give him a fair deal.

wist43
02-21-2007, 09:20 AM
Green wants to stay. All TT has to do is give him a fair deal.

Not sure that TT is always reasonable.

MJZiggy
02-21-2007, 10:13 AM
Ahman's dealt with TT before. He obviously knows how to work with him.

Patler
02-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Wist;

When has TT not been reasonable?

Wahle, Rivera & Sharper situations were dumped on him in his first 6 weeks on the job, as was the overall salary cap situation. Could something have been done to keep one of them? Perhaps, but in view of the overall cap situation it was not unreasonable to let them go. The alternative was to rework others' contracts, pushing things into later cap years. Instead, he cleaned up the cap situation in one year.

Walker? To "satisfy" Walker (if that was ever even a possibility) would have had to be done in the same off-season that Wahle, Rivera and Sharper were let go. So handling the Walker situation any differently would have had the same implications as handling Wahle, Rivera or Sharper differently. Again, TT decided to bite the bullet in one season and cure the cap problems. Had Walker not been injured in the 1st game, I think it is likely they would have worked on a new deal when the final roster shook out as it did, with some moderate cap money still available later in the season. Walker himself made that impossible after the injury with the attitude he took. I am convinced, after looking at the overall picture, that Walker's goal was always to get out of GB, but that's another topic.

Was TT unreasonable in letting Flanagan and Longwell go elsewhere last season? I don't think so.

Has TT been unreasonable in signing Kampman, Pickett, Woodson, Driver, Wells or Harris as he did? Was he unreasonable in the contract given to Green last year? Was he unfair with Henderson, allowing him to see what others might offer, then matching it?

To me, TT epitomizes reasonableness. The path he follows is the reasonable path. What he won't do is get involved in unreasonable or unworkable demands of players. He won't give in to the excessivenes and flamboyance demonstrated by some owners, nor to the publicity fashioned by players' agents.

Freak Out
02-21-2007, 11:36 AM
If TT lets Green go than he damn near has to draft a RB in the first 2 rounds....if they can work out a reasonable deal that would keep all options on the table during the draft TT makes it happen. I think Green will remain a Packer.

Creepy
02-21-2007, 11:45 AM
I think Gb may let Green testthe FA, but may be willing to match most offers. What Green has to watch out for is findinf out he isn't worth what he thinks he is. I want him in GB next year and I think he will be. If he wants a big bonus that means added years to the contract, TT doesn't want to tie up cap money for a player he wthinks will be gone in two.

Packnut
02-21-2007, 11:48 AM
Wist;

Wahle, Rivera & Sharper situations were dumped on him in his first 6 weeks on the job, as was the overall salary cap situation. Could something have been done to keep one of them? Perhaps, but in view of the overall cap situation it was not unreasonable to let them go. The alternative was to rework others' contracts, pushing things into later cap years. Instead, he cleaned up the cap situation in one year.

Walker? To "satisfy" Walker (if that was ever even a possibility) would have had to be done in the same off-season that Wahle, Rivera and Sharper were let go. So handling the Walker situation any differently would have had the same implications as handling Wahle, Rivera or Sharper differently. Again, TT decided to bite the bullet in one season and cure the cap problems. Had Walker not been injured in the 1st game, I think it is likely they would have worked on a new deal when the final roster shook out as it did, with some moderate cap money still available later in the season. Walker himself made that impossible after the injury with the attitude he took. I am convinced, after looking at the overall picture, that Walker's goal was always to get out of GB, but that's another topic.

Was TT unreasonable in letting Flanagan and Longwell go elsewhere last season? I don't think so.

Has TT been unreasonable in signing Kampman, Pickett, Woodson, Driver, Wells or Harris as he did? Was he unreasonable in the contract given to Green last year? Was he unfair with Henderson, allowing him to see what others might offer, then matching it?

To me, TT epitomizes reasonableness. The path he follows is the reasonable path. What he won't do is get involved in unreasonable or unworkable demands of players. He won't give in to the excessivenes and flamboyance demonstrated by some owners, nor to the publicity fashioned by players' agents.

TT blew it with Walker plain and simple. As you stated- had the injury not happened, a deal would have been worked out. The injury turned out to be a non-factor so TT guessed wrong. The Broncos gave Walker a contract that protected them against the injury so why did'nt TT offer the same thing?

As for your opinion that Walker wanted out, he has stated that he did not have a problem with Favre, but did have one with Thompson.

Some here live in fantasy land and claim that Walker going public is what pissed TT off. This is pure BS. Harris did the same damn thing and only shut up AFTER TT told him they would work something out.

The end result is Thompson learned his lesson and did'nt make the same mistake with Harris. I applaud him for that. Still, the Walker mistake set this organization back more than some want to admit. We still have no replacement which is why the Moss thing is with us and why we might need to take a WR with the 16 pick and not fill our need at RB. It's the domino principle at work.

And I don't care how many times a certain member uses his beating the dead horse post, you don't trade a #1 WR for a #2 draft pick. NE had the same situation and got a #1 for a WR who is no where near the talent of Walker.

wist43
02-21-2007, 12:05 PM
Wist;

I was being flippant... although Walker is a case in point - and I've argued that to death.

You guys know where I stand on the Walker thing.

Patler
02-21-2007, 12:22 PM
TT blew it with Walker plain and simple. As you stated- had the injury not happened, a deal would have been worked out. The injury turned out to be a non-factor so TT guessed wrong. The Broncos gave Walker a contract that protected them against the injury so why did'nt TT offer the same thing?

As for your opinion that Walker wanted out, he has stated that he did not have a problem with Favre, but did have one with Thompson.

Some here live in fantasy land and claim that Walker going public is what pissed TT off. This is pure BS. Harris did the same damn thing and only shut up AFTER TT told him they would work something out.

The end result is Thompson learned his lesson and did'nt make the same mistake with Harris. I applaud him for that. Still, the Walker mistake set this organization back more than some want to admit. We still have no replacement which is why the Moss thing is with us and why we might need to take a WR with the 16 pick and not fill our need at RB. It's the domino principle at work.

And I don't care how many times a certain member uses his beating the dead horse post, you don't trade a #1 WR for a #2 draft pick. NE had the same situation and got a #1 for a WR who is no where near the talent of Walker.

I don't think anything got TT pissed off. I think he handles these situations in a detached, unemotional, business-like manner. Too bad more fans can't look at them the same way.

TT didn't learn anything from the Walker situation. He didn't have to. Comparing the two is unreasonable because the situations were so different. The players situations were different. The players desires were different, and most importantly the salary cap situations were completely different.

If Walker wanted to stay in GB, why didn't he even give them a chance to re-sign him after the 2005 season ended? If he was upset because it wasn't done during the 2005 season, he is a bigger blockhead than I thought he was. With players going down left and right during the season and hitting the IR list, the Packers were running through their available salary cap very fast. The injuriies cost them something like $2 million during the season to sign additional players. The season no more than ended, and Walker was ranting about never playing again in GB, selling his house, etc., etc.

Walker's goal was to get out of GB from the time he first spoke up in the offseason following 2004. He KNEW the Packers had no cap space. He KNEW there were issues with Wahle, Rivera and Sharper that could cost money. He KNEW that Bubba Franks was a free agent, and would also require money to sign. All of this was happening at the same time, yet he hired the biggest rabble-rousing players' agent there was, and immediately brought up the "Give me respect, or I'll quit football argument."

I am completely convinced that Walker's goal was to get out of GB sooner or later.

Look at trades of other injured players, who were unsigned beyond a year or two and/or were disatisfied with their contracts. What are they worth in trades? What did MN get for Culpepper, a Pro Bowl QB who should have had much more value than a WR? What did Philly get for Owens?

Even if Walker had played in GB in 2006, do you think he would have stayed when his contract expired? TT got a second round draft choice for a player who would have played only one more season in GB, while recuperating from injury. That was a good deal.

I have always felt that good front offices are the ones who can let players go when the situation requires it. Look at all the players that Wolf let go. Pro Bowlers and near Pro-Bowlers, a future Defensive Player of the Year, the immediately passed Super Bowl MVP. He got NOTHING in return for them, because all left as free agents. Walker would have, too. At least TT traded Walker a year early and got a 2nd round draft choice instead of nothing.

esoxx
02-21-2007, 12:40 PM
I agree with most of what you said, Patler. However, I don't agree they would have got "nothing" for JW if he had played '06 in GB. They likely would have franchised him and wouldn't have just let him go w/o using the mechanism they had at their disposal.

TopHat
02-21-2007, 12:48 PM
I think Gb may let Green testthe FA, but may be willing to match most offers. What Green has to watch out for is findinf out he isn't worth what he thinks he is. I want him in GB next year and I think he will be. If he wants a big bonus that means added years to the contract, TT doesn't want to tie up cap money for a player he wthinks will be gone in two.

TOP HAT'S NOTE: NOT BAD, A GOOD VIEW OF SITUATION. REMEMBER, GREEN WILL BE AT FAN FEST.

http://packers.scout.com/2/620612.html

PACKER NOTEBOOK by Scout.com

"Here's a strong sign that running back Ahman Green will re-sign with the team, perhaps before he would reach the open market as an unrestricted free agent: Green, on Feb. 14, was added to the players' appearance list for the third annual Packers Fan Fest, which will be March 9 and 10 at Lambeau Field. Pro Bowl defensive end Aaron Kampman and middle linebacker Nick Barnett are the other marquee players who are committed for the sold-out event. Head coach Mike McCarthy was vague in a recent interview with the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel about the team's intentions of bringing back Green, who needs only 46 yards to become Green Bay's all-time rushing leader. "I hope he's here," McCarthy said. 'Shoot, I don't know. Contract negotiations, I don't participate in....' "

prsnfoto
02-21-2007, 12:48 PM
Not to mention the fact he sent his stepdaddy out to rip a future HOF'er and TT to the local and national media. That let me know he was a punkass little baby, when his stepdaddy said Javon made Brett a good QB I was ready to piss on his shoes, thanks guys my bloodpressure just went up I hated that little piss ant.

MJZiggy
02-21-2007, 12:59 PM
I was ready to piss on his shoes

That would have made you famous for a bit. We could have all looked you up on the mugshot websites listed as the guy who pissed on Javon Walker.

GBRulz
02-21-2007, 01:17 PM
Sign the man already. He's played out his contract, has never bitched about money and most importantly, he's the best player we've got. You guys talk about him slowing down, but I don't see that at all. I think he did great last year with a below average set of OL.

This will be TT's third year, it's judgement day...this is no time for him to be continuing to fill positions with NFL-E calibur players. He has plenty of cap room to work with. GET IT DONE, TT !!!!!

Patler
02-21-2007, 01:44 PM
I agree with most of what you said, Patler. However, I don't agree they would have got "nothing" for JW if he had played '06 in GB. They likely would have franchised him and wouldn't have just let him go w/o using the mechanism they had at their disposal.

I doubt they would have tagged him. I was going to put my explanation for this in my original post, but it was getting too long already. However now that you brought it up................!

The franchise tag for wide receivers is simply too expensivefor the value they bring to the team.. $7.6 million for one season. While other positions are paid more, I believe the salaries are more justified based on the impact of an elite player at that position. A good offensive lineman can impact every offensive play almost. Same for D-line. I believe a good cornerback can impact how the other team plays to a large extent. I do not believe an elite WR has the same impact. (Just my opinion.) For example, would Walker have been worth twice as much as Driver? I don't think so.

One of the NFL columnists had an article last year about money wasted on wide receivers and how little return there is for it. I agreed completely with him.The Packers never would have paid that. Since I don't think Walker was ever interested in remaining in Green Bay, he would have rebuffed their offers for a long-term contract, and TT would not have invested $7.6 million in him to get one more season from him.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-21-2007, 01:45 PM

Actually Patler is right about that two. By 2006 he was so pissed that he said he not playing for the organaiztion and that he would holdout most of the year. Even if you tag him the next year, by then he has no trade valueand still woundn't play for you.

Were people can argue back and forth about is whether TT should have given him a new deal after the 2004 season. I don't thinkeven you Patler would argue that he wouldn't of signed it then. So the arguement then becomes why did TT give a new deal? Did Harris deserve a deal more than Walker? Walker actually had less years on his contract. You can claim that Harris is more proven, but if you think about it so walker. Each year he got better and better until he blow up. Don't tell me that its a fluke because it didn't come out of no were. And when a player is entering his prime he is should only be expected to get better.

Patler
02-21-2007, 02:14 PM
Were people can argue back and forth about is whether TT should have given him a new deal after the 2004 season. I don't thinkeven you Patler would argue that he wouldn't of signed it then. So the arguement then becomes why did TT give a new deal? Did Harris deserve a deal more than Walker? Walker actually had less years on his contract. You can claim that Harris is more proven, but if you think about it so walker. Each year he got better and better until he blow up. Don't tell me that its a fluke because it didn't come out of no were. And when a player is entering his prime he is should only be expected to get better.

After the 2004 season? How? By releasing Wahle, not signing Rivera releasing Sharper and releasing Grey Ruggemer from a $1 million salary and re-signing him at the veteran's minimum barely got them under the salary cap prior to the draft, with the rookie allocation figured in. They were only about $200,000 under the cap in April. To have signed Walker to any kind of contract would have required generating additional cap space, because it would not have been generated from his contract.

If they could have generated cap space, they would have used it for Wahle, or maybe Rivera. But they really had no one significant to renegotiate with. Favre was said to be not elligible for renegotiation that Spring, because of having done it either too recently or too many times within a given period. There are limitations on how often you can renegotiate a player's contract. Most of the other high salary players were in their last years, like Green. To renegotiate his would have required a significant roster or signing bonus, just to give him the cash he was already guaranteed for that year. As a result, little cap space would be gained. Others were so new in their contracts, like KGB, that year, there was very little to gain against the cap. Also, that year the packers had very little payable as roster bonuses that could have been guaranteed so as to amortize over the remaining life of the contract and gain immediate relief in 2005. In short, there was just very little in the way of salary cap relief to be gained prior to signing all the rookies and cutting more veterans.

Besides, I'm not convinced Walker would even signed it then. As I said before, from just after the 2004 season, his main objective was to lay the groundwork to eventually get out of Green Bay, either immediately or by the time his contract was up. Signing an extension was not what he really wanted. It was just an excuse to develop the controversy needed to get out eventually.

Brando19
02-21-2007, 02:42 PM
From Foxsports:

At this point, RB Ahman Green seems interested in testing the market to see how much he's really worth even though his preference appears to be to remain with the Packers. To keep predators away from their leading rusher, the Packers are going to have to find common ground with him fairly soon. ... The problem with the Packers letting Green test the market is that they don't know how other teams view him. Would it be surprising if the Denver Broncos, who run the same running system the Packers do, make him their lead back? No. Would it be surprising if Green's old coach, Mike Sherman, convinces the Houston Texans to make a bid for him? Absolutely not.

From KFFL:

Tom Silverstein, of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, reports the Green Bay Packers will not be utilizing the franchise or transition tag on soon-to-be free agent RB Ahman Green this year. Green's agent Joby Branion said his client is very interested in remaining in Green Bay. "I talk with him almost on a daily basis," Branion said. "He indicated he's in the best shape of his life. He's hungry to get out there and compete. He's in tremendously positive spirits. He's excited about the future. He's excited that Brett (Favre) is coming back. He's optimistic about going forward. At the same time, he knows it's still a business. He might have to explore other opportunities."

FritzDontBlitz
02-21-2007, 03:30 PM
quit blaming anyone other than javon walker for javon's situation. he created that fiasco, tt just dealt with it as best he could. until walker becomes a consistent player (consistence being able to put two consecutive seasons of productivity together) we need to stop whining over spilled milk. am i the only one who noticed that denver only won one more game than green bay did? doesnt make javon sound like much of an impact player to me....

FritzDontBlitz
02-21-2007, 03:34 PM

After the 2004 season? How? By releasing Wahle, not signing Rivera releasing Sharper and releasing Grey Ruggemer from a $1 million salary and re-signing him at the veteran's minimum barely got them under the salary cap prior to the draft, with the rookie allocation figured in. They were only about $200,000 under the cap in April. To have signed Walker to any kind of contract would have required generating additional cap space, because it would not have been generated from his contract.

If they could have generated cap space, they would have used it for Wahle, or maybe Rivera. But they really had no one significant to renegotiate with. Favre was said to be not elligible for renegotiation that Spring, because of having done it either too recently or too many times within a given period. There are limitations on how often you can renegotiate a player's contract. Most of the other high salary players were in their last years, like Green. To renegotiate his would have required a significant roster or signing bonus, just to give him the cash he was already guaranteed for that year. As a result, little cap space would be gained. Others were so new in their contracts, like KGB, that year, there was very little to gain against the cap. Also, that year the packers had very little payable as roster bonuses that could have been guaranteed so as to amortize over the remaining life of the contract and gain immediate relief in 2005. In short, there was just very little in the way of salary cap relief to be gained prior to signing all the rookies and cutting more veterans.

Besides, I'm not convinced Walker would even signed it then. As I said before, from just after the 2004 season, his main objective was to lay the groundwork to eventually get out of Green Bay, either immediately or by the time his contract was up. Signing an extension was not what he really wanted. It was just an excuse to develop the controversy needed to get out eventually.

well said, patler. i just wish the walker worshippers would shut up long enough to listen. :roll:

PackerPro42
02-21-2007, 03:39 PM
As much as I want Green Bay to draft Marshawn Lynch, I think that it would be a mistake to let Green go. Even if he gets 2 million a year opposed to the 1 million he got last year, he'll still be a valuable player to the Packers offense. If they could keep him and get Lynch they would have an excellent one two punch.

Partial
02-21-2007, 04:24 PM
As much as I want Green Bay to draft Marshawn Lynch, I think that it would be a mistake to let Green go. Even if he gets 2 million a year opposed to the 1 million he got last year, he'll still be a valuable player to the Packers offense. If they could keep him and get Lynch they would have an excellent one two punch.

He got 3 mil last year plus another 750k in incentives. He'll get 4.5-5 mil per year ave in his deal or a large sum up front.

PackerPro42
02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Is that what it was? i guess I was wrong. But regardless, we need to keep him around so GB can breed their back of the future.

VermontPackFan
02-21-2007, 05:01 PM
Sign the man already. He's played out his contract, has never bitched about money and most importantly, he's the best player we've got. You guys talk about him slowing down, but I don't see that at all. I think he did great last year with a below average set of OL.

This will be TT's third year, it's judgement day...this is no time for him to be continuing to fill positions with NFL-E calibur players. He has plenty of cap room to work with. GET IT DONE, TT !!!!!

I agree GB, AG was practically in tears last year after being injured and the Packers not offering him a long term deal. He has done everything anyone of us would want a player to do. He played out his contract, never complained, worked hard, good teammate, etc. All he wants is a fair contract, we will not have to overpay to keep him.

TT will sign him hours before he becomes an UFA.

woodbuck27
02-23-2007, 12:37 PM

You would know M. Didn't you have Ahman on your FF team?