PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky

MJZiggy
02-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Anyone been there recently? I used to go to the state parks many years back and they were really nice, but I don't know if they still are. Thoughts?

BallHawk
02-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Driven through their countless times. Nice people, for the most part.

Cumberland State Park is a beautiful place to visit. Just really lush and fun place to visit.

MJZiggy
02-20-2007, 09:52 PM
I vaguely remember getting lost and having to stay at a resort at Cumberland Park. I think that's how the folks found their state parks in the first place, but like I said, that was a few moons ago...

BallHawk
02-20-2007, 09:54 PM
You planning on visiting Kentucky?

MJZiggy
02-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Either KY or NC.

oregonpackfan
02-20-2007, 09:59 PM
My family used to travel to Kentucky every summer when I was a kid. My mother was born and raised in a small farm town called Maceo just east of Owensboro.

Owensboro is in western Kentucky right on the Ohio River.

My grandfather's farm was just 1/2 mile south of the River. We would walk down to the River to catch catfish and watch the barges go by.

That part of Kentucky reminded me of Wisconsin with wooden rolling hills surrounding valleys of farms.

I remember the summers being hot and humid. Like most farm houses of that era, air-conditioning was a pipe dream.

That part of Kentucky had a few small oil wells. The small pumps looked like a robot was slowly sucking the oil out of the ground.

BallHawk
02-20-2007, 09:59 PM
North Carolina is also a very nice place. Lake Wiley is near Charlotte and is a really fun place to hang out. Also, if you get into Western NC on the border with TN, there are the Smoky Mountains which are really scenic. Lots of things to do there. I've been to both states numerous times, and I'd have to say that North Carolina would be your best bet if you want to see some good nature. However, I don't know exactly what you're looking for.

KYPack
02-21-2007, 09:18 AM
Well, I guess I oughta chime in here someplace.

Yeah, KY is a beautiful place and shares many similarities with Wis.

There are 3 big Park areas and places that are fun to hang out at.

1. The Land Between the Lakes. A huge State Park that has Federal support. It's a large area in between Lake Barkley and Kentucky Lake. An unspoiled natural area with Turkeys, Bison, Elk and miles of hiking trails. Not many people know of this area, but it's a treasure. I was just there a month ago and saw 40 - 50 Bald Eagles.

2. Red River Gorge. A mini Grand Canyon in the Midwest. Great for camping and hiking, make sure you get the lay of the land from some guides, you can take bad spills at the gorge. You won't believe you've never heard of this great area after you see it.

3. Lake Cumberland and Cumberland Falls State Park. Go to the park for a day trip. Get out on the water of Lake Cumberland and party your ass off. It's a great lake with lot's to see and do.

NC is beautiful. 48 of us used to go down to Maggie Valley every year for a golf outing. Evidently, they felt we should go elsewhere after catching our act for 5 years. We returned to the Bluegrass, where basically, nobody gives a shit.

red
02-21-2007, 09:25 AM
i just drove through there over the holidays. even in winter its just a beautiful state

can't understand a word that comes out of the locals though

digitaldean
02-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Stayed at a resort by Kentucky Lake about 3-4 years ago. It was run by the state, but it was awesome. Rooms were huge and pretty reasonable at the time. A fair amount to do there.

Horseback trails, activities at a rec. center across from the resort we were at, paddle boat rentals onto Kentucky Lake, etc.

It's on the far western edge of the state near where Illinois, Kentucky, and Missouri meet.

I'd recommend it.

KYPack
02-22-2007, 08:13 AM
can't understand a word that comes out of the locals though

It takes awhile, bud.

I've learned I was better off in the beginning when I couldn't understand them and they felt the same way about me.

Fosco33
02-22-2007, 12:15 PM
I've lived in Louisville during the week since September (and Cali on the weekends). It's been too cold/rainy to really enjoy any state parks. I have heard good things about some caves a few hours south. If you are in the area, check out the Waverly House. It's supposedly haunted (tens of '000s of people died of TB there). Of course the Derby is coming up - and a few weeks before they've got these fireworks (huge display) over the river - very cool as well. After next week, I'll be in SLC, Utah otherwise I may have more for you in the future.

Partial
02-22-2007, 03:19 PM
I've lived in Louisville during the week since September (and Cali on the weekends). It's been too cold/rainy to really enjoy any state parks. I have heard good things about some caves a few hours south. If you are in the area, check out the Waverly House. It's supposedly haunted (tens of '000s of people died of TB there). Of course the Derby is coming up - and a few weeks before they've got these fireworks (huge display) over the river - very cool as well. After next week, I'll be in SLC, Utah otherwise I may have more for you in the future.

look at this guy. making his semi-annual visit to PR :P

Fosco33
02-22-2007, 03:57 PM

look at this guy. making his semi-annual visit to PR :P

Hey now... I lost over 400 posts - and would be above 2 K for 9 months.... :P That's a lot of posting :wink:

Truth is, I've been busy as hell w/ work and travelling a ton. Last year, I was working from home (or in LA) so I could spend more time here. And last year, there was a lot more to discuss in the OS (Favre, new coach, high draft pick). This year is boring (thankfully).