PDA

View Full Version : Post Graduation Travel

Partial
02-21-2007, 12:40 AM
Any of you guys travel and see the world before you started your job post-graduation? I have never left the country or done any exciting traveling and self-discovery before.

I hear you can do the whole Europe thing for really cheap with youth hostels. I estimate one could probably spend a month traveling all of Europe for about 3000$. That would be totally worth it and offer an amazing chance to see the world.

So, did any of you guys do this? I ask now because i'd have to start saving up for summer of '08 now

PackerPro42
02-21-2007, 06:46 AM
I don't think that you can even get plane tickets to europe for under $3000.

Partial
02-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Are you crazy? I just saw round trip to Dublin for 550.

MJZiggy
02-21-2007, 06:50 AM
Sure you can. You just have to watch for specials and stuff. I've seen flights to Europe advertised as cheap as $500. I don't travel much, but I have family who does and it seems the trick is to be flexible.

BallHawk
02-21-2007, 07:17 AM
Obviously, I've never been to Europe before my post-graduate, but I have been to Europe quite a lot and I strongly suggest it. I was born in London so I've had the privilege of visiting the UK almost every year. London is a fantastic city with plenty to do. And the beauty of Europe is that everything is so close to each other. It's pretty easy, on a relatively small budget, to see a lot of the continent. Paris, Berlin, Amsterdam, Lyon(France,) and Brussels are among my favorite cities there.

So do all you can do get out there, because it is certainly an experience that everybody should have.

Partial
02-21-2007, 09:36 AM
If I do decide to go, i'll probably go 4 or 5 weeks and spend some time in england, france, germany and greece.

The girlfriend has always wanted to go to Italy so I will save that trip for her.

Would it be weird to just go off for a month by yourself to europe without knowing anyone and just bumming around seeing everything there is to see? I don't know that i'd want a travel companion that I knew from college or high school, i think i'd rather go off by myself.

Partial
02-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Sure you can. You just have to watch for specials and stuff. I've seen flights to Europe advertised as cheap as $500. I don't travel much, but I have family who does and it seems the trick is to be flexible.

Gotta book far in advance I've noticed. That, or find a special. But, if you book your flights 6 months in advance you can get an incredibly low rate. Also, as you said, if you're flexible and willing to stop in 3 places, I saw tickets for 350 round trip. That's very, very inexpensive, but it also takes up an entire day or more of your trip. It's a tradeoff, I suppose.

MJZiggy
02-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Remember also to make sure you learn a few phrases in the languages of the countries you'll visit. I've heard France has a reputation for not being so fond of Americans and it might be worth your while to be able to ask a question or book a room in French, not to mention order from a menu. They eat some interesting things over there.

red
02-21-2007, 10:19 AM
do it partial

this is something i really wished i had done after college, or even during college

one of my roomates did this, he took a semester off and traveled all over europe staying at all the hostels just like you said. he loved it

Freak Out
02-21-2007, 11:53 AM
The exchange rate with the Euro blows at the moment but you could still hostel it AND do it cheaper than $3000! Where are you planning on staying every night the fucking Ritz? You can get very cheap flights from the Midwest if you shop around and even cheaper from the east coast...just be smart and shop around for a good deal. I love Europe and travel to Germany every year to visit my best friends and always add a side trip somewhere new....but if I was you I would go to Asia. Thailand, India, Indonesia.....that's where you want to go. The west is tame these days....

LaFours
02-21-2007, 12:02 PM
I went to Cozumel with my wife (we married three weeks after we graduated). We got tore up on margaritas y coronitas for 10 straight days. the resort we stayed at had a "swim-up" bar with stools in the pool. It was awesome.

K-town
02-21-2007, 01:05 PM
If you decide to go to Cancun, Mexico, in the summer...DO NOT take any tours into the jungle to view obscure Mayan ruins. Or chase after cute archeology students.
The basis for this observation: read "The Ruins" by Scott Smith.
Scariest, creepiest novel I've read in YEARS. The ending will linger with you for a long, long time.

GBRulz
02-21-2007, 01:06 PM
I did some traveling myself, but nothing where I truly felt like i was outside of the United States, such as the Bahama's, Cancun, Cozumel & the Caymen Islands.

I have no desire to travel to Europe though. My destinations of choice usually involve a warm climate and an ocean! My dream vacation is Australia. Some day I want to take like a month and just visit there.

I think you should just go for it though, but I wouldn't want to travel alone, no way.

red
02-21-2007, 02:32 PM
see i'd rather do something i've never done before, instead of just going a laying on another beach somewhere

my dream is to go back to the old country, and get piss drunk for a solid month with all the distant relatives. i think Ireland could make that happen

Partial
02-21-2007, 03:13 PM
I want to explore the world. I would think Greece and Turkey would certainly be on the top of my travel spots. Maybe I will take a friend along so I don't get mugged and die. But, I don't want anyone slowing me down. Maybe even go to india and thailand, too.

BallHawk
02-21-2007, 04:21 PM
I want to explore the world. I would think Greece and Turkey would certainly be on the top of my travel spots. Maybe I will take a friend along so I don't get mugged and die. But, I don't want anyone slowing me down. Maybe even go to india and thailand, too.

I've never been to Asia, technically, but Greece is really one of the jewels of Europe. Great food, great people, great history, great weather, it goes on and on.

Also, I'd go with a friend. It can get lonely being by yourself for an elongated period of time and it's much more fun when you have a friend with you.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-21-2007, 04:59 PM
Tyrone is a big fan of Europe. I don't know what it is, but their rocks just taste different.

You could live in Europe for the whole summer on 3K. First, there are plenty of good student travel deals. Regardless of using student travel, rates depend on the season. If you go during the summer rates get jacked. My last trip to france was around 400, but I left for it during late Nov. Fall and winter are cheap and the hotels discount as well. Course it is a bit colder, but wearing a jacket doesn't bother me.

Also, if you are flexible on your departure/return..look into being a courier. You only get to bring your carryon bag...you lose your checked luggage space. But, if you are doing euro cheaply..do you really need more than a backpack..plus, with the free ticket, you can afford to buy what you need there.

Get a Eurail (spelling?) pass. You can travel as much or as little as you want. Or take advantage of the cheap euro airlines. Euro has tons of southwest type airlines. You can get from Liverpool to Barcelona for 30gbp on ryanair. Most of the cheap airlines fly out of the smaller airports..kinda like flying out of midway stead of O'hare.

Hostels are cheap and you will meet people. Or find a pub crawl..every city has one. Just look for a decent hotel and someone will hook you up..or go to a major tourist attraction and they'll be hawking them. You'll get a directed fun time and meet people. If you are in greece or turkey you can stay at a hotel/motel for 10 beans a night. The only prob. with hostels is you have to be in at a certain time. If you are planning on partying late into the night that can be a bummer. Course, plenty of students have been known to crash in train stations or wherever. If you keep your eyes and ears open you'll quickly discover the secrets. Look for the Aussies..they know their shit. It is very common for them to travel the world right after high school..then go on to college.

Do not blow this opportunity to travel. Unless you are going to grad school, you'll never have that much free time again.

Freak Out
02-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Summertime in Europe can be a nightmare Partial.....school is out and there are hordes of Gringos....I love September and October...still warm and the crowds have thinned. Greece is very nice, I've island hopped before and had a blast...very nice weather but can also draws huge crowds in the summer..even though it is blazing hot. Athens can be spendy if you are not careful but you have to do the Athens sights. The only time I was in Turkey was a three day trip to Constantinople and it was amazing. I could have spent weeks just in the city.
But…you will not get prices like this anywhere in Western Europe…one hour Thai massage for around $1.60! Good breakfast, lunch and dinner for around $6-7 (combined)….and nice little hostels for about $8-14 a night. Plus throw in the sex and opium….................
Just make sure you don’t go during the rainy season.
It’s a big world……have fun.

Charles Woodson
02-21-2007, 05:58 PM

I've never been to Asia, technically, but Greece is really one of the jewels of Europe. Great food, great people, great history, great weather, it goes on and on.

Also, I'd go with a friend. It can get lonely being by yourself for an elongated period of time and it's much more fun when you have a friend with you.

Yes, being that i am from a long line of Proud Greek heritage my Papou (grandfather) took my cousins and i there, it was a amazing trip. There isnt much that can beat a good greek meal. There are many amazing things there also

superfan
02-21-2007, 06:31 PM
Following graduation, I drove from Minneapolis to La Crosse and closed down the bars. Got roughly two hours of sleep, woke up and drove to Rochester, NY and spent the night there. Then drove to Boston to watch a friend compete in a kickboxing tournament. Stayed in Boston a couple days, then drove to Toronto and stayed there a couple days before continuing home.

One of the best weeks of my life.

Nothing quite as grand as a trip to Europe, but the point is whatever you do, do something. Literally a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Started shopping for European satellite broadband yet?

:D

GrnBay007
02-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I hear they have some nice little coffee shops in Amsterdam. :P

Scott Campbell
02-22-2007, 07:18 AM
I'd use the $3000 to buy down debt and/or save for a house downpayment.

Oh wait, wrong thread.

Go for it dude. Enjoy the trip. Stay a couple of months if you can. Take the $3000 out of your wedding budget, because cake and flowers and tux rentals are a total waste of money.

Your trip will make for an excellent Romper Room thread. We can all live vicariously through you as you make posts from internet cafe's in far corners of the world. And Mad will make fun of your inability to get laid.

BallHawk
02-22-2007, 07:40 AM
I agree with what Scott said. That could possibly overtake Tank's blog for the most entertaining thread in RR history.

Partial
02-22-2007, 11:11 AM
I probably would sell my laptop to fund trip.

Partial
02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
I may not go to Turkey. My friend John is going to go with me whenever we go provided his job allows him to start after we get back.

He is greek. And because he is greek, he hates all turks. They enslaved them. Bastards. Turkey's not exactly safe for americans nowadays, anyway.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-22-2007, 06:29 PM
I may not go to Turkey. My friend John is going to go with me whenever we go provided his job allows him to start after we get back.

He is greek. And because he is greek, he hates all turks. They enslaved them. Bastards. Turkey's not exactly safe for americans nowadays, anyway.

And, your bum isn't safe from a greek. :shock:

Freak Out
02-22-2007, 06:32 PM

Ah come on....go to Cyprus.

the_idle_threat
02-23-2007, 01:28 AM
Make sure to watch Eurotrip before you go. It will tell you all you need to know about traveling Europe as a young American.