PDA

View Full Version : packers trying to resign David Martin

red
02-21-2007, 08:27 AM
from JSO

The Packers' only other potential unrestricted free agent who is a priority to get signed before March 2 is tight end David Martin. The Packers aren't going to pay big money for a guy who can't stay healthy, but they also know he is their best tight end.

GOD DAMN MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!

why the hell are you trying to resign that whole bunch?

the idea that they say he's our best TE makes me want to puke

let him go, please let him go

Patler
02-21-2007, 09:15 AM
Doesn't it make sense to keep your best one, AND look for an upgrade?
If you let them all leave, and then can't get one that is better, what are you left with?

Sign the vets, draft one, sign a free agent, bring them all into camp and let them fight it out for the 2 or 3 positions. Nothing wrong with that.

red
02-21-2007, 09:19 AM
but he sucks bad

i know i don't want him on the team already, he does more harm then good

bubba would be the only one i'd keep, he's the only one that has ever shown any sort of ability to be a TE in the nfl

you can't do any worse then david martin IMO, so why keep him to fight for a roster spot?

packrulz
02-21-2007, 09:41 AM
Martin impressed me last year, he was healthy for a change and did some damage when he started catching the ball better, he actually played better than Bubba.
"Filled in for an injured Bubba Franks in 2005, posting career highs in starts (eight), catches (27), yards (224) and TDs (three)."

I could see signing him to a modest contract but I hope TT goes after Daniel Graham of the Patriots, they have too many good tight ends and they can't keep them all.

PaCkFan_n_MD
02-21-2007, 09:50 AM
but he sucks bad

bubba would be the only one i'd keep, he's the only one that has ever shown any sort of ability to be a TE in the nfl

you can't do any worse then david martin IMO, so why keep him to fight for a roster spot?

Martin is way better than Lee IMO, just go ask Favre. He is always talking about Martin's abilty, to bad he is softer than a cookie.

HarveyWallbangers
02-21-2007, 09:56 AM
Martin played well last year when he was healthy. Of course, that is his problem. However, I wouldn't say he sucked bad. Neither Martin or Lee will get much more than the minimum, so it's not like they'll take a big cap hit if they find able replacements and have to cut these guys.

Freak Out
02-21-2007, 11:31 AM
It should not cost much and it does give the Team some options if some FA stuff falls through. The guy can play when he stays healthy and remains confident. I would love to see some new blood in at TE though......

Creepy
02-21-2007, 11:35 AM
They signed Lee to a league minimum (base rate) and a small bonus (believe it was under 100K). He has to make the team or GB will cut him if they get something better. GB will not release Bubba as he is a good blocker and is a better receiver than he showed last year. Martin wants a little more money because of his upside. The problem is health and he has not completed a full season since being in the NFL and even when he played more than half the season he was never 100%. He wants more money and I thgink GB will try for Graham and ifthey don't get him may sign Martin or try through the draft.

Overall the TE situatrionis Ok, but notgood. Franks is the TE who can block and can catch (don't drop him because of one season). The problem is getting that receiving TE on the other side. I think GB is going to go after Graham and if they get him, goodbye Martin.

CaliforniaCheez
02-22-2007, 06:20 AM
David Martin likes the jacuzzi and shows up for every third or 4th game and does just enough to stay on the roster and nothing more.

He learned that from his mentor Tyrone Davis and really deserves credit for somehow hanging on to a roster spot when he should have been cut years ago.

David Martin is Tyrone Davis Jr.

Bretsky
02-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Martin played well last year when he was healthy. Of course, that is his problem. However, I wouldn't say he sucked bad. Neither Martin or Lee will get much more than the minimum, so it's not like they'll take a big cap hit if they find able replacements and have to cut these guys.

What I find a bit conerning is they seem to be making quite the effort to get back the exact three same guys we had last year; is this a sign of TT thinking they are good enough, or just CYA ? Because he could CYA with a lot of guys out there.

Martin once again showed flashes, really good ones, then went back to his old self and got hurt..................and when he came back from the injury he wasn't worth a thing. Maybe he was still hurt ?

Either way I want to see some new blood in there and I wonder if TT agrees

swede
02-22-2007, 07:44 AM
David Martin is Tyrone Davis Jr.

Maybe he's blind in one eye also. Oh wait, that was Sammy Davis Jr.

Lurker64
02-22-2007, 07:46 AM
What I find a bit conerning is they seem to be making quite the effort to get back the exact three same guys we had last year; is this a sign of TT thinking they are good enough, or just CYA ? Because he could CYA with a lot of guys out there.

Martin once again showed flashes, really good ones, then went back to his old self and got hurt..................and when he came back from the injury he wasn't worth a thing. Maybe he was still hurt ?

Either way I want to see some new blood in there and I wonder if TT agrees

On the other hand, now is the time to be resigning your own guys because nobody else can. In a week or so, will be the time to start signing other people's guys. There's really little to be gained by letting a player enter free agency, so if there's half a chance you might want David Martin as like the #3 TE next season, you try to sign him now.

BooHoo
02-22-2007, 08:22 AM
I hope this doesn't mean we ARE NOT looking for an upgrade at the TE position. The group we currently have is not acceptable. Maybe we are signing him as an insurance policy, this way we have three TEs in house. We can always let the guys go, provided we do not allow huge signing bonuses. In any case, I hope we go after a FA in March.

red
02-22-2007, 09:47 AM
I hope this doesn't mean we ARE NOT looking for an upgrade at the TE position. The group we currently have is not acceptable. Maybe we are signing him as an insurance policy, this way we have three TEs in house. We can always let the guys go, provided we do not allow huge signing bonuses. In any case, I hope we go after a FA in March.

and if you can't get new ones in FA, then draft them

DO NOT, come back with the same crap at that position that you had last year

not resigning these guys makes you go out and find new ones, thats what i want

i don't want them as an insurance policy, i want new players at TE next year. i don't want lee or martin back at all

packrulz
02-22-2007, 03:21 PM
There's some good ones available:
TE Eric Johnson, UFA, San Francisco 49ers
The tight end free agent options are appealing. Johnson tops the list because it is almost absolute that he will be on his way out of San Francisco. The 49ers drafted Vernon Davis early in the first round, and Johnson won’t see the field next season—when Davis is healthy and more adjusted to the NFL. Davis’ freakish athletic ability will make that a quick process, so Johnson is going to be looking for a new place to play on Sundays. In 2005, Johnson caught 82 passes for 825 yards and a pair of touchdowns and he added 292 yards two scores in 2006, so a team looking for a pass catching tight end will take a chance on Johnson in the hopes that he can repeat that production—particularly his 2005 numbers.

Other Free Agent Tight Ends
Kyle Brady, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars
Daniel Graham, UFA, New England Patriots
Ben Hartsock, RFA, Indianapolis Colts
Zach Hilton, UFA, New York Jets
Reggie Kelly, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Jerramy Stevens, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Boo Williams, UFA, New York Giants

the_idle_threat
02-22-2007, 03:44 PM
There's some good ones available:
TE Eric Johnson, UFA, San Francisco 49ers
The tight end free agent options are appealing. Johnson tops the list because it is almost absolute that he will be on his way out of San Francisco. The 49ers drafted Vernon Davis early in the first round, and Johnson won’t see the field next season—when Davis is healthy and more adjusted to the NFL. Davis’ freakish athletic ability will make that a quick process, so Johnson is going to be looking for a new place to play on Sundays. In 2005, Johnson caught 82 passes for 825 yards and a pair of touchdowns and he added 292 yards two scores in 2006, so a team looking for a pass catching tight end will take a chance on Johnson in the hopes that he can repeat that production—particularly his 2005 numbers.

Other Free Agent Tight Ends
Kyle Brady, UFA, Jacksonville Jaguars
Ben Hartsock, RFA, Indianapolis Colts
Zach Hilton, UFA, New York Jets
Reggie Kelly, UFA, Cincinnati Bengals
Jerramy Stevens, UFA, Seattle Seahawks
Boo Williams, UFA, New York Giants

This info on Eric Johnson is inaccurate.

As can be seen on his player page at NFL.com (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/289090), Johnson did not play a single game in 2005. Same goes for 2003. Both seasons were spent on I.R. His big season was in 2004.

And 82 passes for 825 yards and 2 scores = a dink-and-dunk player who disappears in the end zone, kind of like Bubba Franks lately. This guy is a less-durable Bubba Franks, only without the blocking.

CaliforniaCheez
02-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Eric Johnson is a very good player. He was injured and out in 05 and was missed. In 06 I think he played better than that rookie from Maryland.

If the Packers spend the money to sign him Johnson will be the starter.

the_idle_threat
02-22-2007, 03:49 PM
... until he gets hurt again. :(

BooHoo
02-23-2007, 12:03 PM
He could be a possibility. Either him or Boo Williams (I like his name)

woodbuck27
02-23-2007, 01:07 PM
but he sucks bad

I agree.

Get on with it and keep either Martin or Lee, but not both to fight for the third TE spot. Stay with Bubba as what else can TT do?

Then Ted can get his best pen ready and bring in Daniel Graham and draft a developmentle project in the mid rounds.

I'm just a tad torn up, by what I deem as Ted's too conservative approach to getting it done.

packerbacker1234
02-23-2007, 04:10 PM
Martin is a good redzone threat if we have to have bubba block.

We always knew Martin has great hands. We have seen him make many great grabs.

The issue is he never lasts a full season. I say we resign him cheap to at least tide us over till KR gets back. Who knows this either. If we let bubba actually get in a groove early in the year Martin may just become that backup guy again that is a decent filler if franks needs rest.

Point in case: this isn't bad so long as were not spending a bunch. There is really no upgrades available in FA and there is only about 3 good TE's in the draft.

Fritz
02-24-2007, 03:33 PM
Why do so many people seem hot to sign someone else's oft-injured tight end while dissing our own?

Why not re-sign Martin? That doesn't mean you won't or can't draft someone. Let's have some real competetiion for spots instead of NFLE guys.