PDA

View Full Version : Most Memorable Lambeau Experience

jack's smirking revenge
04-24-2006, 08:59 PM
Actually, my most memorable Lambeau experience didn't involve going to a game, nor did it involve even watching the team play or get pumped at minicamp. Right out of college, I took a job cleaning the stands at Lambeau field. Yes, out of college. I should've taken a more meaningful job, but I didn't. The job involved spending three days following home games cleaning up the trash. Blowing heaps of trash with massive leaf blowers out of the stands and down onto the field, where we'd pick it up and throw it away. Also involved cleaning the dusty atrium. I'll never forget the smell and the sights of a crisp autumn morning with the sun rising over the edges of Lambeau, the long shadows cast into the stadium. It just so happened that it was 1996, the Super Bowl year. The magic didn't end there. As one of the dudes that cleaned up the stands, I also got to walk anywhere I needed to walk on the field (including the "G") and I also got to talk to Dorsey Levens, Brett Favre, William Henderson and Mike Holmgren. They were all very fun and very down-to-earth, except when I accidentally blew some dust in the atrium at Brett's truck. He wasn't too happy about that.

I got paid $7.00 an hour as a temp employee, but it was the most memorable job that I've ever had. That memory will forever cement me as a Packer fan.

tyler

Joemailman
04-24-2006, 09:07 PM
I guess I have 2. First would be my first game there which was the playoff game vs. Detroit when they held Barry Sanders to minus yardage. Second was playoff game vs. Seattle when Al Harris returned the interception for a TD to win in overtime. We were in the last row of the old stands. Behind us were all the fans in wheelchairs. During the celebration, all the people in our row turned around and were high-fiving the people in the wheelchairs. Very cool moment.

jack's smirking revenge
04-24-2006, 09:09 PM
I guess I have 2. First would be my first game there which was the playoff game vs. Detroit when they held Barry Sanders to minus yardage. Second was playoff game vs. Seattle when Al Harris returned the interception for a TD to win in overtime. We were in the last row of the old stands. Behind us were all the fans in wheelchairs. During the celebration, all the people in our row turned around and were high-fiving the people in the wheelchairs. Very cool moment.

Great story route25. Welcome back to the fold, Joe!

tyler

b bulldog
04-24-2006, 09:47 PM
wHEN THE pACKERS BEAT cAROLINA IN THE nfc CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. i'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY GROWN MEN BAWLING THEIR EYES OUT.

digitaldean
04-24-2006, 11:34 PM
I have been to about 12 games.

Watching #4 play has been extremely memorable. Took my son to his first Packer game last year. Though he wasn't thoroughly interested in football, it was fun nonetheless.

A non-football one is coming soon. I'm running in the Green Bay marathon which goes through Lambeau Field. Definitely bringing the digital camera to take some pics from the field (yes, during the race!).

GrnBay007
04-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Good luck in the marathon Dean.....grab a handful of grass on your way through.....lol

I've only been to Lambeau twice and unfortunately both games were losses and one was that pitiful loss to the Titans 2 yrs ago. Sooo, I would have to say my most memorable experience at Lambeau was the first time I was there....and I had my son with me. Just seeing how excited he was to be there was worth any amount of money. We went on the stadium tour the next day and that is so well worth it. Great trip!!

GBRulz
04-24-2006, 11:45 PM
I have to say the NFC Champ game vs. Carolina.

However, when we kicked the crap out of Dallas when they finally had to play at Lambeau - that was good, too.

If the Seattle game was Brett's last game, I wish I wasn't so drunk so I could have remembered it better! :roll:

oregonpackfan
04-25-2006, 12:26 AM
My most memorable Green Bay experience was attending a Key Club(High school version of Kiwanis) convention therewith some other high school seniors. We had left the hotel by being boistrous and full of ourselves.

The adult chaperone made a point of driving past Lambeau Field. We suddenly became very quiet and admired the sight with respectful awe.

Oregonpackfan

HarveyWallbangers
04-25-2006, 07:29 AM
It's funny. The Packers are 11-1 in the 12 games I've been to, but most of them haven't been easy. I think they've been behind at some point in the second half in about 8 of those games. Probably the most memorable game I've been to is a come from behind victory over the Vikings in December of 2002 because it's the only game I've went with my Dad. It was a life-long dream of ours to go to a game at Lambeau.

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/rev/dec02/101996.asp

GBRulz
04-25-2006, 08:24 AM
It's funny. The Packers are 11-1 in the 12 games I've been to, but most of them haven't been easy. I think they've been behind at some point in the second half in about 8 of those games. Probably the most memorable game I've been to is a come from behind victory over the Vikings in December of 2002 because it's the only game I've went with my Dad. It was a life-long dream of ours to go to a game at Lambeau.

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/rev/dec02/101996.asp

That's cool Harv. Up until two games last year (Detroit & Seattle) i was on like a 5 game loss streak at Lambeau.

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 08:28 AM
I guess my favorite Lambeau moment is sometime in the future when I get there and this time they let me in past the Atrium...

GBRulz
04-25-2006, 08:33 AM
I guess my favorite Lambeau moment is sometime in the future when I get there and this time they let me in past the Atrium...

Let me know when you're coming to GB, Zig ! the GBM Welcome Wagon Hotel is available and can hook u up with tix at face value. Friends don't let friends pay above face value for packer tix :lol:

MJZiggy
04-25-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the offer. I'll let you know when I get there again.

FavreChild
04-25-2006, 11:07 AM
November 4, 2002 - Monday Night Football vs. Miami

Besides being my first-ever MNF game, we had tickets for the Lambeau Leap seats - first row, center, south end zone. Realizing we were in a prime spot for TV crews, we came highly prepared. Heavily costumed, several large signs, and I even had a big stuffed dolphin strung up on a noose.

And, since we made sure to arrive in GB early in the afternoon to take in the atmosphere at various local establishments, allow me to quote George Thorogood and say that "everybody was grinning, greased and gassed."

Because of our costumes, props, and fun-loving behavior, we caught the attention of camera crews and radio stations before we ever even entered the stadium. It was also "election eve," so all the gubernatorial candidates - including Ed Thompson - were congregated around Lambeau to greet the smiling (read: liquored up) game attendees. We got our picture taken with Ed, and I took a radio interview out in the street.

Inside the stadium, people were stopping us to take our picture before we even got down to our first-row seats. Once we did get there, though, we had about 20 different TV and newspaper cameras come right up to us for video/photo of us and our signs.

The best part was when John Clayton came out of the tunnel toward the end of the game to get in place for his post-game report. The Packers were about to score on the other end of the field, so no one is paying much attention to Clayton, and he moves toward the wall to stand right in front of us. We, of course, recognized him - so as a joke, we pretended to not know who he was and asked him to take our picture from the field. He agreed (although he probably thought we were total jacka$$es), and to this day, that picture sits in a frame on my television.

The Packers skewered the 'Fins (who were a playoff team back then). The only thing that would have completed the experience would have been to catch a leaping Packer, but it was not to be that night.

Best overall Packer gameday experience.

swede
04-25-2006, 11:37 AM
When I was about ten years old and the Packers were sporting Jim Carter as their middle linebacker I went to a Packer game on a freezing single-digit temperature day in December. I don't remember who we played or if we won. I do remember biting into a hot bratwurst sandwich that squirted a stream of hot grease onto the back of a snowmobile suit worn by a monstrous and sinister-looking man. The grease immediately coagulated into a white mark of Zorro, and my friend laughed so hard that the man turned around and glared at us.

I sat quietly for the remainder of the game and prayed I wouldn't die of either hypothermia or a beating.

Sparkey
04-25-2006, 12:43 PM
I've probably been too about seven or eight games, including exhibition games. The seattle playof game when Al Harris picked off the quick out and took it home was great. Especially after Hasselback stupidly said "We'll take the ball and were gonna win!" [open mouth ..... insert foot moment ]

BUT

The most memorable game was the Monday Night game against the Washington Redskins on September 24, 2001 after 9/11. When they unfurled the starts and striped in the shape of the US of A and then Lee Greenwood sang "Proud to be an American"

Damn, I never heard so many people sing so strongly and so proudly! It brought tears to my eyes.........

NEVER will forget that feeling of energy and unity that night!

imscott72
04-25-2006, 02:51 PM

I have the same memory of Harris's interception return. I scored 1st row seats for that game and hugged some old lady next to me after Harris marched into the endzone. I also have some bad memories unfortunately. I was lucky enough to witness the first ever playoff loss in franchise history against Vick and the Falcons. I also then witnessed the loss to the Queens in 05. I'm hoping for some more good memories this year.

Chester Marcol
04-25-2006, 03:22 PM
I scored some decent seats off the back corner of the end zone. Face value just before kick off. It was a Monday night game against the Vikings. I can't remember if it was the game to tie or to break the record for most consecutive home wins. It was raining and I believe they were season ticket holders who opted to watch the game at the bar. It was also the game that Moss had a career night. Got to see one of his jump ball touchdowns. Not exactly memorable in a good way. Was also the first time I saw Deuces Wild.

CyclonePackFan
04-25-2006, 04:03 PM
wHEN THE pACKERS BEAT cAROLINA IN THE nfc CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. i'VE NEVER SEEN SO MANY GROWN MEN BAWLING THEIR EYES OUT.

That had to be the most incredible moment I've ever seen. Not a soul in that stadium wanted to leave. Everyone hugging each other, crying, 30 years of frustration relieved.

Also when the announced the temperature at the Dallas game (Michele I'm sure you remember that moment) when everyone went nuts because it was below 0.

The one thing I'd like to still do...I want to touch the 'holy ground' in the tunnel. You know, the part of the original tunnel that they left, with the plaque that says something like:

"Proud generations of Green Bay Packers, world champions a record 12 times, have walked over this very concrete to greatness."

GrnBay007
04-25-2006, 06:16 PM
The most memorable game was the Monday Night game against the Washington Redskins on September 24, 2001 after 9/11. When they unfurled the starts and striped in the shape of the US of A and then Lee Greenwood sang "Proud to be an American"

Damn, I never heard so many people sing so strongly and so proudly! It brought tears to my eyes.........

What a great game to be at Sparkey! I bet there were more than a few tears in the stadium that night.

HarveyWallbangers
04-27-2006, 09:53 AM
W NYJ 34-21: Pack beat the Jets in a meaningless preseason game. Thus, starting the streak. Hey, it counts, right?

W TB 21-20: Pack come back from a 4th quarter deficit to beat the Bucs on a perfect fall day. Allen Rossum with a late return for TD.
W CHI 17-7: Pack beat the Bears on a nice, chilly November afternoon.
W MIN 24-13: Pack beat the Vikings in frigid weather (19 degrees). The Spergeon Wynn game.

W ATL 37-34: Pack beat the Falcons in OT in a great duel between Favre and Vick in the hottest game ever at Lambeau (93 degrees).
W MIA 24-10: Pack beat the Dolphins rather handily on a rainy, chilly Monday night. The game in which legendary Pat "Karate Kid" Morita got trashed.
W MIN 26-22: Pack beat the Vikings on a bitterly cold Sunday night (11 degrees).

W SF 20-10: Pack beat the Niners on a nice November afternoon.
W CHI 34-21: Pack beat the Bears on a decent December afternoon.

W STL 45-17: Pack crush the Rams on a wet Monday night.
W DET 16-13: Pack come back from a 10 point deficit in horrendous conditions (cold with 40 MPH winds).

L PIT 10-20: Typical Packer game for this season. Played pretty well, but had critical mistakes.

GBRulz
04-27-2006, 10:09 AM
I've probably been too about seven or eight games, including exhibition games. The seattle playof game when Al Harris picked off the quick out and took it home was great. Especially after Hasselback stupidly said "We'll take the ball and were gonna win!" [open mouth ..... insert foot moment ]

BUT

I remember I had some friends over that night and we also had tears in our eyes. We could hear the crowd over the TV at times, it was awesome!

After 9/11 we view hearing the National Anthem in a different way. I get chills everytime I hear it now.

Sparkey
04-27-2006, 10:32 AM

BUT

I remember I had some friends over that night and we also had tears in our eyes. We could hear the crowd over the TV at times, it was awesome!

After 9/11 we view hearing the National Anthem in a different way. I get chills everytime I hear it now.

I have always gotten a chill when I heard the National Anthem play. No doubt because my father served in Korea in the ARMY and two uncles in the military, USMC and NAVY.

imscott72
04-27-2006, 10:36 AM

BUT

I have always gotten a chill when I heard the National Anthem play. No doubt because my father served in Korea in the ARMY and two uncles in the military, USMC and NAVY.

Yeah that and the fly overs are awesome. I'm so disappointed when they don't have them. Fly overs are one of most favorite things of the whole experience.

GBRulz
04-27-2006, 10:58 AM
Yeah that and the fly overs are awesome. I'm so disappointed when they don't have them. Fly overs are one of most favorite things of the whole experience.

Absolutely. I forgot which game I was at last year, they had army helicopters flying over. It just wasn't the same!