PDA

View Full Version : SHOULD THE PACK RESIGN GREEN??

TopHat
02-21-2007, 12:53 PM
DUE TO POPULAR DEMAND, HERE IS THE POLL.

VOTE &, MAYBE, COMMENTS WITH CONTRACT DETAILS.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wist43
02-21-2007, 12:58 PM
absotively

the_idle_threat
02-21-2007, 01:02 PM
I hope they resign him.

MJZiggy
02-21-2007, 01:03 PM
What? No 'hell yes' option?

pittstang5
02-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Yes...for the Vet Minimum. :lol:

That was for you Ziggy

oregonpackfan
02-21-2007, 01:29 PM
Yes, he is by far the best RB the Packers have!

OS PA
02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
2 Years at 2.5 mil per year with an extra 1 mil each year in incentives for yards and touchdowns.

ND72
02-21-2007, 03:16 PM
see I gotta be the "idiot" i guess...if you are talking about the best running back, then yes, Ahman green is....if you are talking about having the best Zone runner...then Morency is your guy. I know I'll take heat. But when he was healthy, he was our best zone runner all season long. He's the only one that hit the backside of hte zone for big gains. He had more plays over Ahman Green had for 10 yards or more, and he only played in like 10 games for Green Bay. You draft Lynch round 1, and your other back is Morency, for a good 1/2 punch. Then maybe free agency, you find a bigger back to come in and be your short yardage pounder.

MJZiggy
02-21-2007, 03:39 PM
Free Agency? With TT running the show?

packers11
02-21-2007, 04:05 PM
TT SIGN HIM... I think he can still be productive... There is no way a rookie is going to jump in there with Morency and be productive... Brett your gunna be in for another long 600+ attempt season... :(

packers11
02-21-2007, 04:06 PM
2002 Green Bay Packers 14 14 286 1240 4.3 43 7 7 54
2003 Green Bay Packers 16 16 355 1883 5.3 98 15 15 96

2006 Green Bay Packers 14 14 266 1059 4.0 70 5 3 55
2007 ??? BIG SEASON AGAIN???

BallHawk
02-21-2007, 04:26 PM
What've you got to lose?

Hell yes!

the_idle_threat
02-21-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm not sold on Morency as the top guy, but I like him as a backup. I'd rather sign Green, and then with Green and Morency in the fold, running back becomes a lower priority to be addressed perhaps late on the first day of the draft. Noah Herron definitely needs to be replaced.

If Green needs to be overpaid a little in order to stay, I'm okay with that. He's been very good to the Packers and circumstances have prevented him from making the kind of money that guys with his kind of career production have generally made.

BallHawk
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm not sold on Morency as the top guy, but I like him as a backup. I'd rather sign Green, and then with Green and Morency in the fold, running back becomes a lower priority to be addressed perhaps late on the first day of the draft. Noah Herron definitely needs to be replaced.

If Green needs to be overpaid a little in order to stay, I'm okay with that. He's been very good to the Packers and circumstances have prevented him from making the kind of money that guys with his kind of career production have generally made.

Agree with everything 100%.

ND72
02-21-2007, 05:48 PM

personally, I would NOT overpay a 30 year old, lately injury prone RB. I wouldn't offer him anything more than a 1 year contract in fact.

Charles Woodson
02-21-2007, 06:02 PM

personally, I would NOT overpay a 30 year old, lately injury prone RB. I wouldn't offer him anything more than a 1 year contract in fact.

But what would you consider over-paid. I mean if you really look at it since theres so much cap room i think we could spare a few pennies right?

MJZiggy
02-21-2007, 06:08 PM
You don't overpay for someone else's castoffs. You pay to keep your own.

BallHawk
02-21-2007, 06:39 PM
You don't overpay for someone else's castoffs. You pay to keep your own.

Well said.

4and12to12and4
02-21-2007, 06:46 PM
I taped the Packer/Bear game, you know, the good one, the season finale, and have watched it 6 times since the end of the season, and I gotta tell you, even though Green only finished with 70some yards with 21 carries, I watched him over and over again, and he still looks fast as hell, and can dish out punishment. I mean, he is REALLY explosive. And remember, he gained over 100 yards against the Bears in the season opener also. The guy is much quicker and more explosive than I expected him to be after his surgery, and he still runs with a chip on his shoulder and no fear. I think he is a must sign and can rush for over 1500 yards this year. Also, I SO want him to get the opportunity to become GB's all-time rushing leader. he has worked his ass off on and off the field since putting on that green and gold helmet, and deserves the record. He's still one of my favorite players and we should keep him if for no other reason, he brings that mean, bullying, angry aggressive attitude that spreads in the locker room. It's important to have true "tough guys" on your squad for the confidence factor. Good luck Ahmad, I hope to see you for at least one more season here in Green Bay.

Patler
02-21-2007, 07:30 PM

Injury prone? I disagree. For a featured runningback he has been pretty healthy over the years. His injury last year was the deterioration of a problem he has had since college, which finally gave out completely. His "injury" this year has been attributed to the recovery from his surgery. I don't consider him injury prone at all.

Can you use him like you did when he was 26? Probably not.
Can he be as good as he was then? Also, probably not.
But I think there is some mileage left in him yet. I wouldn't limit my interest to a one year contract only. In the NFL you don't have to because the contracts aren't guaranteed.

ND72
02-21-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm not saying completely dont' sign him...BUT...on the local espnradio sports talk, they said Ahman told TT he's looking for a 4 year, $32 million dollar contract, or he'll see what he can get in free agency. If I was TT, I would open the door for him, and say good luck. If you can sign Ahman for $2 million...kind of like what he had this year, heck yes. But anything other than that, FU.

Packnut
02-21-2007, 08:21 PM
This one is simple. If your taking Lynch at 16 for sure, then let Green walk. If your going WR at 16, (Bowe), then TT had better sign Green now. Only someone in dream land wants to go into this season with Morency as our #1. He's nothing more than a back-up.

ND72
02-21-2007, 08:41 PM
there's no way Green Bay will know if Lynch will be there at 16 if that is there plan, that's almost 2 full months from start of free agency to the draft...which is why you can't open up the pocket book with him, sign him to a insentive contract and let him earn the cash...but don't break the bank up front. Personally, I don't think Green will be the starting RB if we do get Lynch.

HarveyWallbangers
02-21-2007, 08:48 PM
I seriously doubt Ahman is looking for that type of money. That's a bunch of your typical radio bull. How would they know what Ahman told TT? Thompson wouldn't tell his wife what Ahman was asking for--if he weren't gay.

MJZiggy
02-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Tank?? :cat:

ND72
02-21-2007, 09:13 PM
I seriously doubt Ahman is looking for that type of money. That's a bunch of your typical radio bull. How would they know what Ahman told TT? Thompson wouldn't tell his wife what Ahman was asking for--if he weren't gay.

It was actually just on the local tv news as well that "green's price is way to steep for Thompson's liking".

GrnBay007
02-21-2007, 09:17 PM
I would absolutely hate to see Green in a different uniform.

C'mon TT work some magic!!

wist43
02-21-2007, 09:25 PM
2 year contract @ 4 mil per... I have no problem with that.

It's not like GB is going anywhere this year... they may have a chance to do something in '08 if Favre returns, if he doesn't, they're DOA again in '08 anyway.

Either way Green against the cap isn't prohibitive, and either way they're going to need a stud running back - which is what Green is... futhermore, he'd be off te books in '09 when Favre is sure to be retired, so to me, the cap really isn't even a consideration.

As for the short term, Green is still fast, tough, and reasonably durable... the thigh thing was a fluke, IMO. He catches the ball well, he finishes runs... very good player.

I'd make resigning him a priority.

As for Morency, I like him, but he's strictly a 3rd down back... don't see him being able to take the pounding that Green can.

GrnBay007
02-21-2007, 09:34 PM
From Green's Official Website (Diary) ...granted it's Jan. 1st but still...

Monday, January 01, 2007

Strong Finish; My Intention Is To Stay In Green Bay

Finishing our season with four straight wins, including the one Sunday night in Chicago, was something that was much-needed and was something that will help this football team in the years to come. We had done this before, 2000, when we won the last five games of that season. We didn't get into the playoffs that year, but it was a good boost into the next season. That is how I see the way we finished in 2006.

We battled all the way. Our young players really grew up and stayed together. I think they learned what it takes to win in this league.

My contract is up in March, and that is something to be addressed in the coming weeks and months. I want to be here and the Packers want me to be here. It's a matter of getting our time together, talking, finishing and agreeing to things and getting a contract drawn up.

I think the Packers will approach my agent again and we'll talk. We've been talking back and forth all season long. To me, it's a matter of time. I believe I will be back with the Packers in 2007.

My season was fun. It was hard at times, coming back from the injury, but for the most part I achieved my goals -- I wanted to be as good as I could be to help this team win. I was productive and I worked well with the young players on our offensive line.

Being healthy for the most part all year, except for the hamstring injury, was a positive. I think this organization, this franchise, everything is moving forward. I saw the way these young guys worked, every day, and that will pay off.

For me, the next step is to rest and relax. I want to spend a lot of time with my family and really just sit around and do nothing. I want to watch TV, play video games, watch movies, things like that. I'm on my own time now.

My body felt pretty good all year. Coming back from the injury was a drain in some senses, but I knew that if I kept at it, I would be able to achieve what I wanted to achieve.

Charles Woodson
02-21-2007, 09:36 PM
This one is simple. If your taking Lynch at 16 for sure, then let Green walk. If your going WR at 16, (Bowe), then TT had better sign Green now. Only someone in dream land wants to go into this season with Morency as our #1. He's nothing more than a back-up.

But even then i say if we end up wanting lynch i say we still sign green, i mean it would just be assurance so lynch can learn the ropes and not be thrust right into the starting line up with out much break.

TopHat
02-22-2007, 12:28 PM
On the Sidelines by JA PC

...The Packers talked to Cullen Jenkins agent last night and are meeting today. They both are optimistic a deal can or will get done, but if not the Packers will put a tender on Jenkins (I was told a 1st round tender). Either way, I was told that the Packers will still go hard after Adalius Thomas, who they consider the top free agent on the market. Speaking of Thomas, he will NOT be named the Ravens "Franchise player". They believe they can resign him while he is on the market, not to mention they would be over the cap if the did tender him. The 49ers and Packers are the front runners tom land him, but the Raiders, Jets, Patriots and Browns also have an interest in him.
Packers GM Ted Thompson caught flack for trading down in round 2 when Chad Jackson (the former WR from Florida) was available, and drafting Greg Jennings. But Thompson was not sold on Jackson's health or ability to stay healthy. Well that instinct proved right as Jackson was hampered by nagging injuries all year and now it comes out he tore his ACL in the AFC title game.
In a seemingly confirmation of what they plan to do in the draft The Green Bay Packers are said to have created a virtual chamber where a player enters it and is shown a number plays on a screen and they are asked to determine the scheme and packages and how they would direct the defense. The Packers are taking the lead in the use of this new technology that has been used by Oklahoma and Auburn
Packers FB William Henderson wants to return, but the ball is in the Packers court and they are deciding on whether or not they want him back. I was told they will give him word in the upcoming weeks.
Reports surfaced yesterday linking Houston and Denver to Packers RB Ahman Green, but other teams, most notably the Jets, Giants, Browns, Lions and Vikings also have interest. Green, who needs just 45 yards to break Jim Taylor's Packers all time rushing mark, wants to resign with the Packers, who are open to a bringing him back, at the right price....

PackerPro42
02-22-2007, 06:50 PM

But even then i say if we end up wanting lynch i say we still sign green, i mean it would just be assurance so lynch can learn the ropes and not be thrust right into the starting line up with out much break.

And plus it's already been proven that a dual back attack is very effective in the league.

Joemailman
02-22-2007, 09:12 PM
I'm not saying completely dont' sign him...BUT...on the local espnradio sports talk, they said Ahman told TT he's looking for a 4 year, $32 million dollar contract, or he'll see what he can get in free agency. If I was TT, I would open the door for him, and say good luck. If you can sign Ahman for $2 million...kind of like what he had this year, heck yes. But anything other than that, FU.

It's hard to imagine anyone giving Green that kind of money unless the contract is severely backloaded. The Packers could put the franchise tag on Green and he would still only cost about 7 mil. The 10th highest paid RB in the league makes about 4 mil. TT may have to go a little higher than that, but not much.

RashanGary
02-22-2007, 10:23 PM
2 years, 2 mil per year with incentives to make 2.5 per year if he makes the probowl. He can play it out for his next big deal if he shows his worth.

RashanGary
02-22-2007, 10:24 PM
:lol: :cry: :lol:

Joemailman
02-22-2007, 10:33 PM
2 years, 2 mil per year with incentives to make 2.5 per year if he makes the probowl. He can play it out for his next big deal if he shows his worth.

It will take more than that to keep him. The guy ran for over 1,000 yards playing behind a line starting 2-3 rookies every game. He's still one of the top 10-15 running backs in the game. It will take at least 4 mil to keep him.

RashanGary
02-22-2007, 10:36 PM

It will take more than that to keep him. The guy ran for over 1,000 yards playing behind a line starting 2-3 rookies every game. He's still one of the top 10-15 running backs in the game. It will take at least 4 mil to keep him.

I know. I just wanted to throw out a disrespectfull deal and say "Make him play for his next one."

mmmdk
02-23-2007, 12:51 AM
I voted 'NO' to a big deal to Ahman, not no to Ahman - he had a solid 2006 but I fail to see the upside. If TT signs him cheap then ok but I still want more competition at RB through the draft even a RB in the 1st round.

wist43
02-23-2007, 08:31 AM
I don't have a problem drafting a RB high in the draft, but it amazes me that you guys don't see Green's value.

I was skeptical as to whether he could come back from the thigh injury, but he's proven he can still play...

Green is one of the best finishers in the league, he's still fast, very tough... there's a huge drop off from Green to Morency.

Green has been one hell of a back for a number of years... 2 year contract @ 4 mil per is not unreasonable. The cap really isn't much of a consideration - at least for this year; and, it's only a consideration in the 2nd year if Brett returns.

MadtownPacker
02-23-2007, 09:44 AM
Wist is right on.

Those saying kick Ahman to the curb need to get beat down like one of his ex-wives! He has been nothing but loyal and hard-working. He had a good season last year and that was with a OL that is STILL gelling!

Makes me want to throw on my #30 and whupp someones ass. :x

woodbuck27
02-23-2007, 11:21 AM
Absolutely sign AG. It comes down to sensability.

TT has to within reason (based on the quality of the contract) sign Ahman Green, or he puts more pressure on the team in the RB spot, and certainly otherwise, he'd have to have a clear option in FA.

Morency and any draft pick isn't the way to go if we are to improve in 2007. Mike McCarthy keeps saying that it's a priority to run the ball. When will we see that if we allow Ahman to slip away?

Besides Ahman's a Green Bay Packer. I would be somewhat surprized if he gets away from us.

4and12to12and4
02-23-2007, 02:52 PM
One thing that has to be remembered here is that through all of the great years that Ahmad has given us, he wasn't earning the money he should have. He has been underpaid virtually his entire stint with GB. That was because he signed such a ling-term contract and stuck by it without complaining.

He, I'm sure, is looking to get a reasonably large payday so that he knows his family is secure for the rest of his and his children's lives. He really hasn't gotten that yet. I would be suprised if he was willing to take less than 3.5 to 4.5 million a year for at least 3 years. I'm sure he will also be wanting a couple million signing bonus.

To expect him to play for 2 million with another 500,000 for making the pro-bowl is ridiculous. If that is what TT is offering, he will be sure to go to FA. I guarantee some team out there will give him a 3 year deal at around 3 mil a year. He is worth it, and as long as the money is not guaranteed, a career ending injury isn't that big of a deal.

Ahman ran great this year, he missed two games, split the load with other backs, had a horrendous line to run through the first 3/4's of the year, and he still got his 1000 yards. I think thats amazing, and he proved a few times, that he still has breakaway speed, and good juking ability. I'm not saying we should give him 4 mil a year for 3 years, I'm just saying somebody will. Dominick Rhodes will be getting at least 5.5 to 6 million somewhere, and Ahman Green is probably considered the second best FA back after him (some may have him better than Rhodes on their boards).

One way or the other, Green wants his payday, and will probably get it "one way or the other".

TopHat
02-23-2007, 03:27 PM
Wist is right on.

Those saying kick Ahman to the curb need to get beat down like one of his ex-wives! He has been nothing but loyal and hard-working. He had a good season last year and that was with a OL that is STILL gelling!

Makes me want to throw on my #30 and whupp someones ass. :x

'GO GET THEM, MTP."

TopHat
02-23-2007, 03:34 PM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=621244

Thompson wants Green back with Pack by Todd Korth SC

General manager says that two sides 'not there yet' with new contract.
Green Bay Packers General Manager Ted Thompson told the media at the NFL Scouting Combine today that he wants Ahman Green in the backfield with the Packers this season. Thompson said that optimism is a “sticky phrase,” regarding Green, who is scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent on March 2. The Packers and Green’s agents have been negotiating with the Packers in recent weeks, but both sides have yet to come to an agreement. Some experts at the NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis feel that Green will test the free agent market, which is weak at the running back position this season. “We want him back and I think he'd like to be back,” Thompson said. “He's a good Packer and he's sort of established as a Packer now. It'd be nice if he finished his career with us.” Green just completed his seventh season with the Packers and is 46 yards away from Jim Taylor’s team rushing record of 8,207 yards. Green rushed for 1,059 yards in 14 games last season after sustaining a season-ending quadriceps injury in 2005. Green has rushed for more than 1,000 yards in six of the last seven seasons. Thompson refrained from saying he is optimistic that the Packers and Green will soon agree to a contract extension. “I don't know if you're ever optimistic," Thompson said. "A deal gets done when a deal gets done. It's just a matter of a meeting of minds and all that sort of stuff. We're not there yet.” Thompson said that if Green signs with another team, the Packers will have to “overcome and adapt,” to a new running back. California junior Marshawn Lynch is among a handful of running backs that the Packers may consider selecting with the 16th overall pick in the upcoming NFL draft....

packerbacker1234
02-23-2007, 04:04 PM
I think, until we prove we have someone who can honestly give us what green can this year, we NEED to resign him.

Some people are saying it's ok to let him go because we will have Lynch.

Supposing we get Lynch, is there any guarentee he wont be a bust? Green provides us with cheap veteran Stability and is someone we know we can rely on for at least a tough 1000 yard rushing season.

I'de take him because simply he is a proven asset at RB. With Favre around we want proven players.

TopHat
02-23-2007, 06:17 PM
I think, until we prove we have someone who can honestly give us what green can this year, we NEED to resign him.

Some people are saying it's ok to let him go because we will have Lynch.

Supposing we get Lynch, is there any guarentee he wont be a bust? Green provides us with cheap veteran Stability and is someone we know we can rely on for at least a tough 1000 yard rushing season.

I'de take him because simply he is a proven asset at RB. With Favre around we want proven players.

TOP HAT: SIMPLY HOW MOST PACKER FANS FEEL, 90% POSITIVE POLL RATING.