PDA

View Full Version : Chatting with Mel Kiper's hair, Part Deux

K-town
02-21-2007, 01:57 PM
Chat with Mel Kiper

Welcome to The Show! On Wednesday, football expert Mel Kiper will drop by to talk college football, NFL, the draft and anything other questions you might have about the gridiron.
Send your questions now and join Mel this Wednesday at 1 p.m. ET!

Buzzmaster: We're getting Mel right now! Send in those questions.

Mel Kiper: We have an updated Big Board going up today. Not a lot of changes. We can get into the pre-combine talk today.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ted (TN): Hey Mel Robert Meachem goes about 6'2" 210 lbs., that's a good sized WR, and with that frame maybe he could develop into a really good possesion guy, but with all the talent in this years draft at WR will he be a first round guy, or could he be one of those players that slips into the second and ends up being a big surprise pickup for an team that was not expecting him to drop?

Mel Kiper: I have him in the late first round. I think he could go in the second. I don't see him dropping any more than that. He had that great game against Cal to being the season. He was outstanding from the first week on. With his size and ability after the catch, I think he's a late first round pick at best. I think he goes between 25-40.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roger - IL: Mel - Where will Sydney Rice go? Should he have stayed another year at South Carolina?

Mel Kiper: Coming out is going to put him in a position to be a first round pick. I have him going to Jacksonville, at pick No. 17. Nothing wrong with that. This is a kid that over the last two years had 23 TDs and caught over 100 passes. He's a better prospect than Troy Williamson was and Troy went earlier than where Sydney will go.

Eric (Phoenix): The Niners aren't going to waste their 1st round pick on Jarrett are they?

Mel Kiper: I have Jarrett going to Tennessee. I have the 49ers looking at Alan Branch. While he has the enormous physical skills, he didn't show that on the field. He's got to step up the producation. I think that will be a little early for Jarrett.

Andrew (NH): I was wondering where Ball from UNH is projected?

Mel Kiper: The workout for Ball is going to be important. Speed is going to be very important. He has to prove that he's not a product of the I-AA system. He could be a Brian Fineran type.

Matt FL: Why isn't Lamarr Woodley of Michigan considered to be one of the elite defensive ends in this draft and where do you see him going?

Mel Kiper: He's always been at the top grouping. But the problem is that there are a lot of good defensive ends. But you've got to like him. He's got a great motor. He's a great kid. He could go anywhere from the late first to mid second. It's a very good year for DEs.

Chris (Columbus): What does Troy Smith have to do at the Combine and in leading up to the draft to secure a 2nd or 3rd round selection? Is there a particular team that he would fit best with?

Mel Kiper: The main thing at QB that you have to do is be precise and accurate with the football. There's nothing he can do with his height. So he just has to be consistent. His arm strength is excellent. He can move around and make plays with his legs.

RANDY -LA: Why does it seem Patrick Willis out of Ole Miss is slipping he seem like a Jonathan Vilma type?

Mel Kiper: I can't argue with that. He's a guy that will get you 12-15 tackles a game, without a great defensive line in front of him. I've always had him in the first round, it's just a question of where. He could be a possibility for New England, San Diego. Right now, he's the 26th highest rated player on my board.

Mark - LA: Have you heard any realistic trade rumors with Oak at #1?

Mel Kiper: It's too early, No. 1. Until the combine to determine where players end up, it's too early. But I would be surprised if they wanted to move. First, a team needs to want to move up. A team is going to really need a QB. Plus there's not a consensus on Russell or Quinn being a superb QB. There have been QBs that went lower and had higher grades. Roethlisberger had a higher grade and went lower. Keep in mind, Oakland needs a QB. They passed on Leinart and Cutler last year. My understanding right now is that Russell is the guy.

Gabe (Los Angles, Ca): Hey Mel, is Jarrett the next Mike Williams or the next Keshawn Johnson?

Mel Kiper: I think the Mike Williams thing - it's too early to write him off just yet. He sat out an entire year before entering the NFL. It's going to take a while to get back where he needs to be. He's been a major disappointment so far. I'm not ready to write Mike Williams off. He needs a change of scenery. Now as far as Jarrett.

Mel Kiper: He's going to always be compared to Johnson and Williams. He's a big receiver from USC. If he runs a good 40...he's already shown that he can separate. He's always shown he has good hands. I think the USC connection at Tennessee leads to him being a Titan.

Pete (Phoenix): Is there a chance the Cards can trade up to 1 or 2 to take Thomas? Is he on the Pace, Ogden, Walter Jones level to make it worth it?

Mel Kiper: Yeah, I think he could be on that level. He's perceived to be that good. The only thing with him is that he's coming off a knee injury. He had the injury in January 2006. But he showed no ill effects at Wisconsin this year. It remains to be seen if anyone will move up to get him. But remember, you're going to give up a No. 2 draft pick to get him.

Larry (Denver): I read today that the Broncos are looking to trade up to 8 for Peterson, will he even be available then?

Mel Kiper: First, if you're going to go after Peterson, you have to move up to the top 5. He's going to go in the 3 or 4 spot. If Denver goes to 8, they're not going to get him. They're not going to go from 21 to 8 and not get him. They're not going to move up and not get him. Now, you look at what Denver needs, DE, DB.

Chris (Boston,MA): Do you think Zak DeOssie would be a good fit for the PATS in the 2nd or 3rd round? What about David Ball from UNH?

Mel Kiper: That might be just a little early for Zak. But he's a very interesting prospect. He was a high school QB and an LB at Brown. He's a great long snapper. He'll be a good special teams player. A couple of other guys from the I-AA that will be good prospects - Alonzo Coleman, Jeff Smith (QB, Georgetown (KY)), Laurent Robinson (WR, Illinois State), Mike Mason (WR, Tennessee State), Ben Patrick (TE, Delaware), Greg Peterson (DL, N.C. Central), Marques Murrell (DE/OLB Appalachain State), Kyle Shotwell (LB, Cal Poly-SLO), Johnny Baldwin (LB, Alabama A-M), Michael Coe (Alabama State).

Ian (Indianapolis): Do you see Garrett Wolfe going anywhere on Day 1? Is he worth taking a chance on, even with some claims that he's to small to be anything but a kick returner?

Mel Kiper: Not on Day 1. He's more of a fifth or sixth round guy. He has no prior punt and kick return experience. His running skills are very good. He could be a scat back, but he's going to have to show his return skills in the NFL.

Tim (NYC): Is Q. Moses going to be this year's Hali or Kiwanuka - the guy who drops because of a poor season then blows up in the NFL?

Mel Kiper: No, that comparison is just not valid. Kiwanuka and Hali had very good senior year. Kiwanuka's stock dropped because of his Senior Bowl week. Moses did not have a very good senior year. Those other guys had good senior years. I look at Moses as more of a second or third round guy.

Anthony FL: Will there be any "starting caliber" CB's available late in the 2nd round when the Saints pcik if they go LB in the 1st.

Mel Kiper: I'd say in the CB in the late second, Eric Wright from UNLV, Chris Houston from Arkansas, Marcus McCauley from Fresno State, Fred Bennett from South Carolina. Those would be some guys.

Trent (Florida): Am I the only person that thinks Dallas Baker is being overlooked?

Mel Kiper: I think right now, he's probably more of an early Day 2 guy. He goes about 6-3, 208. He's got good size, good hands. I'd say early Day 2. The concern will be how much he'll separate against NFL corners. But with his size and hands, he could be a Red Zone threat. Florida receivers have not given you a good return on your investment.

Whitaker (NY): How many offensive linemen in this years draft do you see as being immediate starters on the NFL level?

Mel Kiper: The offensive line is about one position weaker than usual and two positions being strong. You only have about two legit first round OTs. You don't have a lot of quality at OT. I think it's an excellent year for OG. Dan Santucci from Notre Dame is underrated. And it's a very good year for centers.

Jay (Jackson, MS): Hey Mel, do you think Rory Johnson (Ole Miss) OLB can improve his stock at the combine and move up to a first round pick? What team do you see him going to in the first or second round? Thanks!

Mel Kiper: I'd say more the third or fourth round for Johnson. He only had the one year at Ole Miss. This is a guy that really played well. Patrick Willis stole all the headlines, but Johnson was second on the team in tackles. Depending on workouts, he could be a late second, early third round guy.

Bill (Dayton): Should the Bengals consider one of those guards in teh 2nd or 3rd round to replace Steinbach?

Mel Kiper: Yeah, I think that's certainly an area they should look to. You can usually find a guy in the second or third round for a guard. Josh Beekman, Justin Blalock, Ben Grubbs will be some good second round guards. Samson Satele from Hawaii is a good guard/center who will also be around.

Chet Baltimore: Hey Mel...do the Ravens go running back on day one...if so then who?

Mel Kiper: It might not be a target that fits the bill for them in the first round. Is there another RB after Lynch and Peterson to go in the first round? I don't know.

Arryn (Dayton, OH): Should the Lions take a QB like Smith or Stanton in the 2nd round assuming they are available?

Mel Kiper: I think that would be early. I would look at Stanton in the third round and Smith in the fourth. No higher than that. The fourth QB chosen wouldn't surprise me if it were Trent Edwards from Stanford in the second or third round.

Marv, Buffalo: Seems that this is the year of the big DE. Do you see Ikaika Alama-Francis or Carriker being able to play DT in a 4-3?

Mel Kiper: I think Carriker would the be ideal guy for a 4-3. Alama-Francis is more of a strict DE in my mind. He plays with a lot of fire. Jerry Glanville has done a good job of coaching him up. I think he'll go in the second round. I think people are more and more aware of just how good he can be. The DE overall is the strongest it's been in years. This might be the deepest class I've seen in years.

Josh (Chicago, IL): What make Jamall Anderson of Arkansas such a high draft choice?

Mel Kiper: A couple of things. First, he's up to 285 pounds. A lot of people listed him around 270, but he's 285. He had 19.5 tackles for loss and 13.5 sacks. He's a hard worker a dedicated player. He can also handle his run responsibilities well.

Zach (Milwaukee): With such a strong DE class, should Indy have tempted teams into offering two 1st rounders for Freeney?

Mel Kiper: No, Freeney's your franchise guy. Without him, it's a shell of what it is. Freeney and Sanders made that defense what it is. Even though we talk about the depth of the DEs, some of them are going to be busts. Freeney is a dominating player.

Chris (Miami, FL): Any DT help besides Okoye and Branch?

Mel Kiper: Big time would have been Harrell if not for the torn biceps injury he sustained early in the year. Pitcock had his moments, but he's limited athletically. Ryan McBean, this is a kid that has tremendous physical ability. He just needs to start making some plays. He's got physical and athletic ability. He could go as high as the second round. That's a roll of the dice. Eventually the light has to go on. To answer the question, Harrell is the only guy that's close to Okoye and Branch.

Fulgin (Eugene, OR): Where do you see WR Jordan Kent going? Will his 40 speed set where he goes?

Mel Kiper: He's an interesting guy. He made some plays. He has some size. He adjusted to the ball. He's 6-4. He has some skills. He falls a little under the radar. He's a 5-7 rounder who has a chance to make a team and contribute in the NFL.

Joe: (Toronto, Canada: Mel: What direction do you think the Bills will take with the 12th pick this year?

Mel Kiper: DT is a need area. I have them taking Okoye in the first round. CB, MLB, OL and WR are the other big need areas.

Mike (Ottawa): So, a top-prospect WR in Calvin Johnson is in the draft, is it a foregone conclusion that he's going to Detroit?

Mel Kiper: The teams that could take Calvin Johnson are Tampa and Cleveland. Tampa looks like it could be a real good fit for them. They need some offensive firepower.

Jake (Lexington, KY): Assuming the packers take Lynch at 16, will they be able to get a quality WR in the 2nd round, and is that what they should look for?

Mel Kiper: There is a lot of depth at WR in the second round. Craig Davis from LSU would be a great pick at that spot. Bowe at LSU is probably going to go in the middle of the first round. Davis is 6-1, 200 and runs a 4.38 40. He has excellent hands. He made a lot of clutch catches. He runs well after the catch. He's an excellent blocker. He's very underrated. If he's there in the second round for someone, he's a steal.

Chris (Madison): Hey Mel, with 3 good players in Meachem, Sears, and Harrell, how many Vols do you think will be picked in the 1st round? 1st day?

Mel Kiper: Of the guys we talked about, Meachem is a possible in the first. There are no guarantees from those three. You'll probably see two go in the first round. McBride will probably be a second rounder. Wade will probably be a third rounder. Jayson Swain will be a Day 2 guy.

Tom (Chicago): Mel, since the Bears franchised Briggs will they pass on an OLB and focus on the O-line and TE position?

Mel Kiper: Yeah. I had them taking an offensive lineman. They need to address OG, TE, and WR. They can now go offense, offense, offense in the draft, now that they have taken care of the LB position. They could also be looking at Greg Olsen at that spot.

Jeff Staten Island, NY: Do you believe the Jets will take a WR with their first round pick? I think Aaron Ross or Adam Carriker are better picks.

Mel Kiper: I think Carriker could be gone by that pick. Ross could be gone. If he shows big time recovery speed, he could be gone. In my projection a few weeks ago, I had them both gone. Daymeion Hughes from Cal could be a DB they look at. Or a WR like Meachem. Another reciever that's going to go right around that general area is Anthony Gonzalez from Ohio State.

Victor Bronx NY: MEL, Everyone seems to think that the Giants most glaring ned in th draft is RB, I think that its CB then RB. The giants gave up to many big plays in the secondary. What is your thoughts about the Giants #1 draft needs.

Mel Kiper: There are four areas. CB, OLB, RB and WR. Those are the four they need to address. If Lawrence Timmons is there at 20, you'd have to give him consideration. He's 6-1, 235 pounds. He had six pass break ups. He was all over the field this year. He can run. He explodes to the ball.

Zach (Houston, TX): What do you think about Houston getting Brady Quinn if he falls to that spot?

Mel Kiper: It depends if they go after a veteran QB in free agency or go after one in the draft again. They went after David Carr in their inception. They need a CB, RB, DE. They have a lot of need areas.

Mel Kiper: We'll have next week a big chat. We'll be reviewing everything from the combine. We'll have a new first round projection. We'll be talking about it. It'll be a very important chat.

K-town
02-21-2007, 02:04 PM
Although Notre Dame senior Brady Quinn spent the entire 2006 season as the top quarterback in the country, LSU junior JaMarcus Russell has now moved ahead of Quinn on my Top 25 Big Board.

Simply put, Russell's body of work was better than Quinn's. Russell's overall performance in big games against elite competition was better than that of Quinn's. Head-to-head in the Sugar Bowl, Russell looked better against Notre Dame than Quinn did against LSU.

The NFL combine starts this week in Indianapolis, so you can expect more movement and changes on the Big Board and my first-round projections after the combine and individual workouts take place.

1. Calvin Johnson*, WR, Georgia Tech (6-4, 225) | previous: Same
He's not only a tremendous athlete, but he's a hard worker and very team oriented. Based on the needs of the Raiders and Lions, Johnson might not be the No. 1 overall pick, but he won't fall out of the top five.

2. Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin (6-6½, 313) | previous: Same
Huge, quick and athletic with a long wingspan.

3. Adrian Peterson*, RB, Oklahoma (6-1½, 218) | previous: Same
The most talented running back in the draft with an excellent burst to the outside for his size. The concern with Peterson is his durability.

4. JaMarcus Russell*, QB, LSU (6-6, 260) | previous: 5
Big, strong signal caller with a powerful arm, and his decision-making improved significantly in 2006.

5. Jamaal Anderson*, DE, Arkansas (6-5, 270) | previous: 6
A gifted athlete who is coming off an exceptional 2006 season. Anderson is a complete player, equally solid against the run and as a pass rusher.

6. LaRon Landry, DB, LSU (6-1½, 205) | previous: 11
Four-year starter who has proven to be Mr. Reliable throughout his career.

7. Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville (6-1½, 298) | previous: 9
A four-year veteran, and he is only 19 years old. Okoye is quick and explosive and goes all-out on every play. He is not only good at eating up space but also gets good penetration into the backfield.

8. Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson (6-4½, 260) | previous: 10
Flashes dominating ability with his athleticism and quickness. Adams led the Tigers with 10½ sacks and 15½ tackles for loss.

9. Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame (6-3½, 225) | previous: 4
Poised, smart and at his best in pressure situations. Quinn did throw two interceptions in the Sugar Bowl after throwing just one INT in his previous eight games.

10. Ted Ginn Jr.*, WR, Ohio State (5-11, 175) | previous: 8
Takes a backseat to no one in the speed department, brings a big-play dimension to the wide receiver position and also the return game.

11. Lawrence Timmons*, LB, Florida St. (6-2¼, 233) | previous: 19
Moves right to the top of a very subpar linebacking group, particularly from the senior class. Timmons' production and consistency from game to game are what jumps out at you.

12. Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. (6-4½, 325) | previous: Same
Steady and reliable at protecting the quarterback's blind side.

13. Charles Johnson*, DE, Georgia (6-2, 280) | previous: Same
Not only gifted from a pure talent standpoint, but he also has the work ethic to match. Johnson is active, alert and extremely productive.

14. Dwayne Jarrett*, WR, USC (6-4, 210) | previous: Same
Has the size and natural receiving skills to create mismatches against smaller cornerbacks. Jarrett also has better quickness out of his break than people give him credit for.

15. Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska (6-6, 298) | previous: Same
You don't see many defensive ends carrying 300 pounds who can move as well as Carriker.

16. Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU (6-2, 217) | previous: 18
Big and productive, Bowe runs excellent routes and has the toughness to catch the ball in traffic.

17. Reggie Nelson*, S, Florida (5-11½ 198) | previous: 16
Outstanding player who can hit like a safety and excel in coverage like a cornerback. That unique combination makes him a highly regarded prospect.

18. Craig Davis, LSU, WR, LSU (6-1¼, 200) | previous: Unranked
Possesses outstanding speed (4.35 40-yard dash) to go along with his size. Davis was steady and reliable for most of his career, then took his game to a new level late in the season.

19. Leon Hall, CB, Michigan (5-11, 193) | previous: 17
Tough customer who also shows very good anticipation and awareness in coverage.

20. Alan Branch*, DT, Michigan (6-5½, 328) | previous: 7
Huge and athletic, Branch is a true space eater along the interior. Once his technique improves, watch out!

21. Sidney Rice*, WR, South Carolina (6-3, 200) | previous: Same
An angular wide-out with a nice burst out of his break and above-average hands. The key for Rice will be how well he runs at the combine workouts.

22. Aaron Ross, CB, Texas (6-0½, 196) | previous: Same
An instinctive tackler who has excellent ball skills. Ross led the Longhorns in 2006 with six interceptions and broke up 19 passes. He also finished third on the team in tackles with 80.

23. Marshawn Lynch*, RB, California (5-11, 224) | previous: 25
Complete big back, right on the heels of Adrian Peterson when it comes to who will be the top RB in the draft.

24. Arron Sears, OL, Tennessee (6-4, 320) | previous: Unranked
He played both guard and tackle in college and will give a team some versatility along the offensive line.

25. Robert Meachem*, WR, Tennessee (6-2½, 210) | previous: 20
Came through with a number of highlight-film plays in 2006. If he runs well at the combine, Meachem could elevate his status in the weeks leading up to the draft.

*-- Underclassman

Dropped
Anthony Spencer, DE, Purdue (6-2½, 261) | previous: 23
He became a much more effective pass rusher in 2006 for the Boilermakers. The key at the next level will be his athleticism and versatility, because I project he'll be an ideal outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

Tim Crowder, DE, Texas (6-3¼, 273) | previous: 24
Consistent and reliable in his career, but became more of a playmaker for the Longhorns in 2006.

red
02-21-2007, 02:51 PM
that would be pretty nice, lynch, and a clutch burner WR with the first two picks

i'd like it