PDA

View Full Version : Fergyyy is backkk...

packers11
02-22-2007, 12:37 AM
Notes: Ferguson still in team's plans
Oft-injured receiver to get another shot
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Feb. 21, 2007
Green Bay Packers general manager Ted Thompson said at the time he put Robert Ferguson on injured reserve last October that he wanted the oft-injured wide receiver back in 2007.

Four months later, nothing has changed.

Ferguson, who missed the final 10 games due to a Lisfranc injury in his right foot, was told during his exit interview with the team that he would not be released this off-season. Despite missing 36 of a possible 96 games since being selected in the second round in 2001, Ferguson will be given a shot to prove himself once again.

"He's looking forward to having a good year," said his agent, Brian Overstreet. "He's doing good, and he'll be ready to go when camp starts. He's coming in hoping to start. He'll just work hard, and if he can contribute as a starter he will and if not, he'll fill whatever role they'd like him to do."

Ferguson, 27, lost his starting job in training camp to rookie Greg Jennings, and held the No. 3 spot even after Koren Robinson joined the team. However, he only caught five passes for 31 yards and a touchdown in the four games he was active.

Thompson acknowledged Wednesday that Ferguson was still in the team's plans, but he said he didn't want to talk about the future of any players on the roster right now. There was some thought that Ferguson and his $1.8 million base salary and $2.5 million salary cap number would cause the Packers to let him go.

But with about $25 million of cap space, the Packers can afford to bring Ferguson to camp and let him compete for a position. If he falls down the depth chart, they can cut him and incur only a $700,000 cap hit in 2008.

In six seasons, three as a primary starter, the most passes Ferguson has caught was 38 in 2003. He has offered lack of opportunity as part of the reason he hasn't had a big season yet, but over the past four seasons he has started 25 of 43 games in which he has appeared and not had a single 100-yard receiving game.

The Packers value Ferguson for his outstanding special teams and have used him as a returner as well as on coverage units. Some of Ferguson's injury problems have come from having to play on special teams.

Among the receivers Ferguson will be competing against for a roster spot this summer are Ruvell Martin, Carlyle Holiday, Shaun Bodiford, Chris Francies, Carlton Brewster and Calvin Russell. In addition, the Packers are likely to add a receiver in the draft.

WHY not cut him... I don't want alligator arms on this team anymore... There are PLENTY OF WR's to give a chance to in the draft...

NEVERMIND... I TAKE IT ALL BACK... His breakout season is THIS year :roll:

Brando19
02-22-2007, 05:40 AM
Among the receivers Ferguson will be competing against for a roster spot this summer are Ruvell Martin, Carlyle Holiday, Shaun Bodiford, Chris Francies, Carlton Brewster and Calvin Russell.

Trade 'em ALL for Moss!

Packers4Glory
02-22-2007, 05:56 AM
he's a good special team player...something this team lacks badly.

Bretsky
02-22-2007, 06:01 AM
THE LEGEND OF THE FRAUD LIVES ON

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

CaliforniaCheez
02-22-2007, 06:13 AM
Despite missing 36 of a possible 96 games since being selected in the second round in 2001, Ferguson will be given a shot to prove himself once again.

Ferguson, 27, lost his starting job in training camp to rookie Greg Jennings, and held the No. 3 spot. However, he only caught five passes for 31 yards and a touchdown in the four games he was active.

There was some thought that Ferguson and his $1.8 million base salary and $2.5 million salary cap number would cause the Packers to let him go.

If he falls down the depth chart, they can cut him and incur only a $700,000 cap hit in 2008.

The Packers value Ferguson for his outstanding special teams and have used him as a returner as well as on coverage units.

WHY not cut him... I don't want alligator arms on this team anymore... There are PLENTY OF WR's to give a chance to in the draft...

NEVERMIND... I TAKE IT ALL BACK... His breakout season is THIS year :roll:

The return man job is currently his to lose. He will. His cap number is too high for a #3 or 4 receiver. I reality he is on his last chance and will have to show a lot in camp to make the team.

Iron Mike
02-22-2007, 06:16 AM
http://espn-att.starwave.com/media/nfl/2004/1219/photo/a_ferguson_il.jpg

Another Sherman pile of doo-doo. :(

MJZiggy
02-22-2007, 07:14 AM
Cap question: The article states that with $25 million in cap room we can afford to bring him to camp, but as he is already on the team and not a free agent, his salary has nothing to do with that $25 million except to say that they are not in cap trouble. It's not like his salary comes out of that $25 mil pot, does it?

Bretsky
02-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Cap question: The article states that with $25 million in cap room we can afford to bring him to camp, but as he is already on the team and not a free agent, his salary has nothing to do with that $25 million except to say that they are not in cap trouble. It's not like his salary comes out of that $25 mil pot, does it?

If we cut him then the salary would come out of our available cap space

MJZiggy
02-22-2007, 07:20 AM
So the article misspoke. We have the room to cut him more than the room to keep him. But wait, if we cut him, we have to pay the bonus but not the salary. don't we? Why would a salary we're not paying come out of available cap space if we cut him?

swede
02-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Another example of how TT is not a very hasty guy. We're all hanging over the railing screaming for TT to cut the guy's a$$, and he calmly decides that it makes financial and football sense to see if the guy has something left to give his team.

I know Fergy has been a big disappointment, and I'm firmly on the "we should have picked Chambers" bandwagon, but there have been flashes of productivity along the way during his unfortunate career in Green Bay.

So it doesn't surprise me that TT has decided to let Fergy compete for a job one more time. If he plays well it helps the team. If not, we'll say goodbye to him in August because of the minimal cap hit.

KYPack
02-22-2007, 07:56 AM
So the article misspoke. We have the room to cut him more than the room to keep him. But wait, if we cut him, we have to pay the bonus but not the salary. don't we? Why would a salary we're not paying come out of available cap space if we cut him?

If we cut him, his salary number goes by the boards, it doesn't hit our cap.

His Pro Rated Signing Bonus will hit our cap. If we cut him, it will be after June 1 when we can spread his PRSB over a couple seasons.

It'll cost us 3.2 million to keep him, total '07 cap.

It'll cost us 1.4 against the cap if we cut him. That should hit us 700K in '07, & 700K in '08

I say cut, but I'm a member of the "Anti-Ferg" club. We don't give a shit about his potential and special team promise, we hate the Ferg!

That's why this is essentially an "un-article".

We are gonna bring Ferg to the Mini's, see what he's got and deal with him after June 1. That's a story?

BooHoo
02-22-2007, 08:25 AM
Why not keep him around as an insurance policy, just like we are doing with Lee and Martin. We can always cut him after 1 June like was mentioned earlier.

red
02-22-2007, 09:22 AM
well 7th times a charm

maybe this year is the year he'll turn into a player

hope hope when they say he's "in the teams plans", it means that the team "plans" on trading him for something, anything

BF4MVP
02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
What the hell does June first have to do with anything? Last I checked, it's irrelevant since the new CBA..NOTHING happened on June 1st last year..

So I guess Fergie IS still on this team. I was beginning to wonder if he had already been cut, since a bunch of people who aren't the GM just ASSUMED he was gone..

Why not have him as a gunner/returner/reserve wideout if nothing else..He was one of the best kick returners in the league in '04, and he's always been a good gunner..

Scott Campbell
02-22-2007, 09:40 AM
I say cut, but I'm a member of the "Anti-Ferg" club. We don't give a shit about his potential and special team promise, we hate the Ferg!

That's why this is essentially an "un-article".

We are gonna bring Ferg to the Mini's, see what he's got and deal with him after June 1. That's a story?

I think you're read between the lines perfectly here. Ted has to try and sign guys like Martin and keep guys like Fergy at this point. There aren't better guys on the roster yet, because he hasn't had the opportunity to upgrade the positions in FA or the draft yet this year. If you don't sign them, then it puts pressure on you to draft for need vs. best available player. That's how you end up with guys like Jamal Reynolds. He can get rid of the slouches once they've been beaten out by better players. The cap room he's created gives him the flexibility to eat a few extra bucks in dead money when he needs to buy a little temperary insurance policy.

GBRulz
02-22-2007, 10:22 AM
What would the season be like without Fergy around to make fun of?

mraynrand
02-22-2007, 10:40 AM

Incorrect. Ferguson was drafted by Wolf.

mraynrand
02-22-2007, 10:44 AM
he's a good special team player...something this team lacks badly.

I think special teams will be much improved this year. When you have so much youth, 'teams suffer. But the Packers had some guys show some real explosiveness on 'teams. I like Hunter and especially like Jarrett Bush as a gunner. He was raw and made mistakes, but he was routinely beating double teams on the edge. Watch the tape - that guy was in on everything, especially late in the season.

the_idle_threat
02-22-2007, 10:50 AM
IMO, the most significant phrase is in the 2nd paragraph of the article: "[N]othing has changed."

esoxx
02-22-2007, 11:16 AM

Incorrect. Ferguson was drafted by Wolf.

The '01 draft is open for debate. I give 50% to both Wolf/Sherman.

What isn't debatable is Sherman is the GM who extended his deal based on potential, not production. See Cletidus Hunt.

esoxx
02-22-2007, 11:18 AM
I don't mind bring Ferg back. He's still better than the Chris Francies, Taco Wallaces and Jamil Jones of the world. Fergy actually looks decent compared to some of the stiffs we've run through here the past few years. If only he could stay on the field.

Partial
02-22-2007, 11:20 AM
What the hell does June first have to do with anything? Last I checked, it's irrelevant since the new CBA..NOTHING happened on June 1st last year..

So I guess Fergie IS still on this team. I was beginning to wonder if he had already been cut, since a bunch of people who aren't the GM just ASSUMED he was gone..

Why not have him as a gunner/returner/reserve wideout if nothing else..He was one of the best kick returners in the league in '04, and he's always been a good gunner..

Ferguson and best don't belong in the sentence unless used in the content of best tease in the NFL.

wist43
02-22-2007, 12:06 PM
June 1st is just a cap number date... the reason nothing happened on June 1st last year is b/c everyone had cap room, or at least weren't strapped enough to have to cut people.

Fergy is "just a guy", and isn't worth much more than the minimum. From Scrimmage, I'd much rather have Ruvell Martin or Holliday.

Packnut
02-22-2007, 12:08 PM
This guy will get hurt in pre-season and spend the season on injured reserve. I've seen enough of this clown. Carroll ran out of chances and this guy has had just as many.

Someone please explain to me the difference between Fergy and A.C.? TT need's to find some consistency in his approach.

Just when I see some hope for Thompson, he does something stupid like this..............

Zool
02-22-2007, 12:23 PM
TT will be keeping the Turd around until after June 1st for sure. What is he supposed to say?

"This guy is worthless. I mean no other team in the league should trade even a 7th rounder for him. We're stuck with his bonus for the next 2 years and it sux."

GMs have to be incredibly PC to the press or it gets blown up.

the_idle_threat
02-22-2007, 12:28 PM
I wouldn't get too worked up about it yet. TT didn't sign him to an extension or anything. He just hasn't cut him yet. Fergie still has to survive training camp in order to truly stick around. I suspect that TT's penchant for keeping young guys with upside will spell an end to Fergie's run in Green Bay if guys like Holiday, Brewster and/or Bodiford show anything in camp.

BF4MVP
02-22-2007, 01:05 PM

Ferguson and best don't belong in the sentence unless used in the content of best tease in the NFL.
I really don't know what that ^^^ post is getting at...He averaged 25 yards per kick return in '04..It's not like I called him a good receiver..Wouldn't you kill for a guy who averaged 25 yards a kick return after watching Noah Herron, Vernand Morency, and Samkon Gado return them?

Tony Oday
02-22-2007, 01:38 PM
Man its like we cant flush the toilet on this turd...

Packnut
02-22-2007, 01:59 PM
I just want this guy gone. That Monday night game against Carolina where he handed the ball to the DB will NEVER leave my head!

Zool
02-22-2007, 02:02 PM
Man its like we cant flush the toilet on this turd..

HAHA great analogy. Ferguson has "dry docked" on us. He just keeps holding on.