PDA

View Full Version : NFL Combine

LL2
02-22-2007, 10:52 PM
Anyone have a chance to watch the combine of the NFL network? Hope to read some Packerrats observations.

MadtownPacker
02-23-2007, 02:44 AM
Rich Eisen said to say hi. :lol:

Lurker64
02-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Even if I had the NFL network, I'm really not sure I could bring myself to watch the combine. It's only February, I'm not yet that starved for football.

red
02-23-2007, 08:45 AM
theres really nothing fun going on until the weekend, thats when they start doing the drills and getting timed

yesterday they just got weighed and i think they did interviews. then they get their lectures on how to be a good nfl rookie

BlueBrewer
02-23-2007, 08:49 AM
theres really nothing fun going on until the weekend, thats when they start doing the drills and getting timed

yesterday they just got weighed and i think they did interviews. then they get their lectures on how to be a good nfl rookie

Were pac-man and Odell Thurman giving speaches?

LL2
02-23-2007, 09:13 AM

I’ll try to watch this weekend when I can. We all know we are going to draft Lynch, according to 9 out of 10 mock drafts. What I want to know is who are the sleepers. This years Colston. I saw something about this TE, can’t remember his name or school, but he was the only Div-AAA player invited to the combine. Say he has good size and speed. I’d like to see GB bring in some prospects like this to develop.

BallHawk
02-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Was it Michael Allan?

LL2
02-23-2007, 09:22 AM
Was it Michael Allan?

Yes, I think your right.

SD GB fan
02-23-2007, 10:46 AM
i think a lot of potential players arent even invited to the combine. any of the 32 teams in the NFL can go to the RCA dome and analyze the data from the combine but TT is going to have to do serious hw and look up the unknowns. last year, i was kinda puzzled by the moll pick, especially since he wasnt "ranked high" and mostly projected to go undrafted.
but hes proved that hes a decent backup with a lot of room to grow.

HarveyWallbangers
02-23-2007, 11:19 AM
I love the NFL Network's coverage of the Combine. If you are a hard-core football fan, it's some good watching.

woodbuck27
02-23-2007, 11:28 AM

I’ll try to watch this weekend when I can. We all know we are going to draft Lynch, according to 9 out of 10 mock drafts. What I want to know is who are the sleepers. This years Colston. I saw something about this TE, can’t remember his name or school, but he was the only Div-AAA player invited to the combine. Say he has good size and speed. I’d like to see GB bring in some prospects like this to develop.

We're drafting Marshawn Lynch eh !?

Really !! Who at this time could predict what Ted Thompson will do with OUR 16? Let's get a week to ten days into FA first. :)

LL2
02-23-2007, 12:00 PM

We're drafting Marshawn Lynch eh !?

Really !! Who at this time could predict what Ted Thompson will do with OUR 16? Let's get a week to ten days into FA first. :)

This is according to 9 out of 10 polls. It seems every draft "expert" has the Pack picking Lynch.

privatepacker
02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Some information from the Boyer Report:

Boyer's Blog: Feb. 23
Time for the NFL Combine. We will have reports from multiple reporters trickling in over the next few days to be sure to check back with Draft Stock for all of your combine needs.

Weigh-In’s We had our first official weigh-in’s and we wanted to pass along some of the numbers.

John Stocco Wisconsin 6-1.5 207
Josh Beekman Boston College 6-1.5 313
Daniel Sepulveda Baylor 6-2.7 229
Mason Crosby Colorado 6-1.2 212
Josh Swogger Montana 6-4.4 237
Doug Free Northern Illinois 6-6.2 324
Nathan Bennett Clemson 6-4.3 316
Justin Blalock Texas 6-3.2 320
Levi Brown Penn State 6-5.4 323
Doug Datish Ohio State 6-4.1 302
Allen Barbre Missouri Southern 6-4.0 300
Andrew Carnahan Arizona State 6-7.1 307

More on Falcons-Raiders Talk It was reported yesterday that talk had already started between Oakland and Atlanta exploring the possibility of trading the first overall pick and the raiders getting Matt Schaub in the deal. While it still seems far fetched this story has been verified by multiple sources. Talk is the Falcons would go after wide receiver Calvin Johnson from Georgia Tech if they landed the top pick. I guess new coach Bobby Petrino figures the more offensive weapons the better.

The idea of a trade for Schaub makes sense for Oakland. Just seems to early to see this type of talk.
Cheers,

retailguy
02-23-2007, 12:07 PM
This is according to 9 out of 10 polls. It seems every draft "expert" has the Pack picking Lynch.

I predict we trade down and wind up with 32 7th rounders.

BooHoo
02-23-2007, 12:10 PM

I predict we trade down and wind up with 32 7th rounders.

i believe we will trade up and get additional first round picks.

4and12to12and4
02-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Even if I had the NFL network, I'm really not sure I could bring myself to watch the combine. It's only February, I'm not yet that starved for football.

It's a bit ironic that you are not only reading posts here at packerrats but also taking the time to respond with your own post here in February, yet you claim you're not "starved for football". I think someone is in denial. Or is it the case of the fox and the grapes, since you don't have the NFL Network you are pretending to yourself that you wouldn't watch it anyways.

Just a little psycho-analogy during the off-season :oops:

red
02-23-2007, 03:20 PM
after what i just saw, i'd take brady quinn in a second if i had the chance

the guys just huge

plus he just had a lights out interview session, theres no way you couldn't be impressed with the guy after that

PackerPro42
02-23-2007, 04:17 PM
does anybody have a link to the results? i just checked 10 different sites and didn't find anything.

red
02-23-2007, 04:27 PM
does anybody have a link to the results? i just checked 10 different sites and didn't find anything.

i think all they did today like yesterday was height and weight

no times yet

Cheesehead Craig
02-23-2007, 04:28 PM

the guys just huge

plus he just had a lights out interview session, theres no way you couldn't be impressed with the guy after that
Same was said about Ryan Leaf. :twisted:

red
02-23-2007, 04:30 PM

the guys just huge

Same was said about Ryan Leaf. :twisted:

lol

i don't know. all you have to do is hear leaf open his mouth and you know he's a complete jackass idiot

quinn was just very impressive about how he handled all the questions

Scott Campbell
02-23-2007, 04:41 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- The monstrous young man walked into the media room at the Indianapolis Convention Center wearing a gray sweatshirt that said "OL45" on the chest.

When OL45 showed up, reporters got excited. They stampeded behind him to the podium.

In response to the first question, OL45 dispensed the following vital information:

Height: 6-6½.

Weight: 311 pounds.

Hand size: 10 1/8 inches.

Arm length: 33 1/4 inches.

Welcome to the NFL scouting combine, where every eighth of an inch and every hundredth of a second count.

Way too much sometimes.

For the record, OL45 was Joe Thomas of Wisconsin, considered the best offensive lineman in the 2007 draft. He's widely expected to be among the top three players picked. You can canvass a room full of scouts, GMs and draft analysts and be hard-pressed to find someone doubting Thomas.

Of course, the last time a Big Ten tackle swaggered into the combine with this big a rep, it was 2004. His name was Robert Gallery, out of Iowa.

"Gallery ... is the most foolproof pick in this year's draft," declared The Sporting News.

Three years later, after an array of defensive ends have blown past Gallery and pulverized a variety of Oakland Raiders quarterbacks, nobody is calling Gallery foolproof. "Bust" is the more common term.

Gallery is instead proof of the foolish notion that a fast 40-yard dash and a monster day at the bench press are the tickets to success in the NFL.

Back in '04, Gallery dazzled everyone by running a 4.95-second 40 at the combine. At 6-7 and 325 pounds, this qualified him as a bona fide freak.

Too bad he can't play.

"I think we're different players," Thomas said when the G-word came up Thursday. "I think I'm very technically sound. ... I think I have great work ethic, and I really study hard."

Those would be three important elements in a successful pro football player. And they won't be worth a damn here at the combine, where it's all about "measurables."

Texas' Justin Blalock started 51 games for the Longhorns and routinely opened holes. Yet at 6-3, there is a strong belief that he's too short to play tackle and might have to switch to guard.

"I realize they like certain attributes for a reason," Blalock said. "I'll let the game tape speak for itself."

Hopefully somebody is listening when the tape is talking.

The measurables have become so important that a cottage industry has grown up around them: Players are packed off by their agents to special camps to work on improving their times in combine drills and reps in the bench press. Arizona apparently has been full of draft prospects who have spent the winter with strength and agility coaches.

This is like taking a course to improve your SAT score while not doing a thing to actually prepare yourself to succeed in college.

"I see a lot of guys who do that," said Thomas, who stayed in Madison to prepare for the combine. "They lose focus on what they're doing in the offseason, which is preparing for an NFL season, as opposed to training to run a fast 40 time."

I understand that you cannot be slow and weak and small and play in the NFL. I understand that the "prototype" for certain positions is based on players who have excelled there. But the size-and-speed snobs who make or break many careers have a bad habit of discriminating against a lot of good players just because they don't fit their prototype.

Jerry Rice would be too slow to star in the NFL by combine standards. Ran a 4.6.

Drew Brees? Too short.

Vince Young? Too dumb, according to the Wonderlic. But not too dumb to be NFL Rookie of the Year.

Meanwhile, the size-and-speed snobs couldn't get enough of Tony Mandarich (No. 2 overall pick in 1989), Dan "Big Daddy" Wilkinson (No. 1 pick in 1994) and the ultimate combine baby, Mike Mamula (No. 7 in 1995). Honk if you see any of those guys in Canton anytime soon.

"I am my height, and I am my current weight. I think there's a lot to be said for how you play as opposed to how you look."
Ryan Harris, former Notre Dame OT on questions about his lack of size

Last year, DeMeco Ryans was the sixth linebacker drafted, taken in the second round by the Houston Texans. He was considered a tick slow in the 40 (4.65) and maybe a tad shorter than ideal (6-1). Ryans was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year -- not Houston's No. 1 overall pick Mario Williams (whose measurables were gorgeous, by the way).

Defensive end Elvis Dumervil was busted down to the fourth round despite phenomenal pass-rush productivity at Louisville. The reason? Too short to play defensive end at a shade under 6 feet tall. Some said the only place he could play was inside linebacker.

Dumervil made short people everywhere proud by recording 8½ sacks in '06 for the Denver Broncos.

Only three players were drafted later last year than wide receiver Marques Colston, who went in the seventh round to the Saints. Colston was considered by some to be a tweener -- not big enough to play tight end, too slow to play wideout -- and he didn't run a top-five time among wide receivers in the 40, the vital three-cone drill or the irreplaceable short shuttle at last year's combine.

Meanwhile, Chad Jackson (second round), Derek Hagan (third round), Skyler Green (fourth), Mike Hass (sixth), Devin Aromashodu (seventh) and David Anderson (seventh) were drafted before Colston. All ran faster than he did in the above drills.

Those six combined to make 35 catches as NFL rookies. Colston, whose name stayed on the board until pick No. 252, had 70 catches -- despite missing a couple of games with an ankle injury.

With all that in mind, it was interesting listening to the offensive linemen report their height and weight (Thursday was lineman day at the combine), then wait for the nitpicking to begin.

One reporter eyed Notre Dame offensive tackle Ryan Harris (6-4½, 305) skeptically and wondered whether he was big enough to be an NFL tackle. I loved Harris' answer.

"I can't say anything about that," Harris said. "I am my height, and I am my current weight. I think there's a lot to be said for how you play as opposed to how you look."

Pat Forde is a senior writer for ESPN.com. He can be reached at ESPN4D@aol.com.

PackerPro42
02-23-2007, 05:04 PM

i think all they did today like yesterday was height and weight

no times yet

I know that they did the bench today, Joe Thomas got 28 reps.

BooHoo
02-23-2007, 05:38 PM
I am not big on the numbers so the combine does not interest me.

red
02-23-2007, 06:29 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scott should be banned for one week for posting an article that mentions the name of a certain #2 overall draft pick in 1989

now i don't want the packers to draft anyone this year

BallHawk
02-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Mandarich is like Voldermort in Harry Potter. Their names should not be typed, written, or spoken. They are to remain a thought in your mind.

red
02-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Mandarich is like Voldermort in Harry Potter. Their names should not be typed, written, or spoken. They are to remain a thought in your mind.

WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?????????????

you did it too

when i first read that article my mind put a B after the OL. so i thought i saw OLB45

then i started to read that stats, and almost shat myself at the idea of a 6'6, 311 pound outside linebacker

Joemailman
02-23-2007, 06:41 PM
Hey Red, how about a picture? :twisted:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/04/15/draft.busts/gallery_mandarich.jpg

BallHawk
02-23-2007, 06:42 PM
I think I just died a little inside.

red
02-23-2007, 06:48 PM
i just puked on myself

the_idle_threat
02-24-2007, 01:42 AM
Nice pic. The caption should be: "Oh Shit! Gonna get burned again!"

mraynrand
02-24-2007, 02:13 AM
INDIANAPOLIS --

Welcome to the NFL scouting combine, where every eighth of an inch and every hundredth of a second count.

This stuff matters a lot to my wife too.

HarveyWallbangers
02-24-2007, 03:43 PM
Greg Olsen ran very well and had a good workout. He's the only TE that ran really well. However, I still don't think I'd take a TE who isn't an all-around TE in the first round. He's not a good blocker.

Fritz
02-24-2007, 03:58 PM
INDIANAPOLIS --

This stuff matters a lot to my wife too.

Hilarious.

Since someone previously said that Brady Quinn was "huge" I guess that means it matters to the football fans, too.

I like that TT doesn't get hung up on numbers. For him, it's not the size of the ship, it's the motion of the ocean.